Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2014, 22:56   #106

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Hey Everyone,

I am not sure where to post this, but here goes.

I am using the new Scorpio S4 for work as such its usually driven by the driver. Since Captain seats arent available in the S4 I have the bench in the middle and jump seats (facing each other) in the back.

Now the issue is, the middle row has hardly ANY leg room. My question is:
1. Has anyone noticed that the 3rd row jump seats are wider than usual? It can seat two abreast. I will post pics tomorrow. It doesnt seem so from the pics in this official review but this definitely is the case in my S4.
2. Where can I get the middle row replaced with bucket seats?
And follow up questions will be - do I need to also change the last row seats to accommodate the recline and slide back? Is is better to go with original Scorpio / Xylo Seats or 3rd party ones?

Please advice.

Thanks.
Old 6th November 2014, 01:16   #107

Ok so apropos the previous post (which somehow got posted twice), the dealer has sold us a 9 seater version (Yes, foolishly we didnt check!) and that's why theres no middle row leg room and the jump seats in the back are bigger.

But now, pls advice about the modification and if there's any place in Delhi / Chandigarh.
Old 6th November 2014, 01:32   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone noticed that the 3rd row jump seats are wider than usual? It can seat two abreast. I will post pics tomorrow. It doesnt seem so from the pics in this official review but this definitely is the case in my S4.
I haven't seen an S4 variant until now. But the S10 jump seats in Test Drive vehicle could just seat one.
Please do post pics. I was interested in the S4 4x4 model, and the dealer has offered me Test drive as soon as he gets one for delivery.

Do you have S4 with 4wd or 4x2?

Can you post pics of the dashboard as well as the exterior. Thanks in advance.
ortho_surgeon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 12:24   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoelsebutme View Post
Ok so apropos the previous post (which somehow got posted twice), the dealer has sold us a 9 seater version (Yes, foolishly we didnt check!) and that's why theres no middle row leg room and the jump seats in the back are bigger.

But now, pls advice about the modification and if there's any place in Delhi / Chandigarh.
Oh, that is unfortunate. In order to accommodate wider last row seats, the middle row has been moved forward, hence, compromising the second row legroom. Do post pictures of the 3rd row seats and middle row legroom for the benefit of all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho_surgeon View Post
I haven't seen an S4 variant until now. But the S10 jump seats in Test Drive vehicle could just seat one.
Please do post pics.
Do have a look at this post: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post1267426 by D-BHPian anjan_c2007. The Scorpio LX 9-seater will be very similar to the S4 9-seater variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Other Points:
BHPian Miyer has put up some great pics of the S4 variant & suspension http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...nycamv-105.jpg. Be sure to check them out.

Last edited by S2!!! : 6th November 2014 at 12:30.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 16:25   #110
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Were it not for absurd import duty levels the Fortuner, SFX, Pajero Sport, would all have been priced similar to the Scorpio and Storme.

It high speed manners is down to design and engineering. They are all boxes be it good or bad looking.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 16:31   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. Has anyone noticed that the 3rd row jump seats are wider than usual? It can seat two abreast. I will post pics tomorrow. It doesnt seem so from the pics in this official review but this definitely is the case in my S4.
This means the vehicle is a 9-seater. LX earlier used to come in 7 & 9 seater configs.

Quote:
2. Where can I get the middle row replaced with bucket seats?
And follow up questions will be - do I need to also change the last row seats to accommodate the recline and slide back? Is is better to go with original Scorpio / Xylo Seats or 3rd party ones?
You will need to change both 2nd and 3rd row. Captain seats in 2nd row won't be able to recline with the last row jump seats.

I had enquired at the local junk market in Mayapuri. A pair of captain seats (OE) was quoted from 8000 to 12000 - depending on the condition. Last row bench was quoted around 6000 or so. The buyback was less than 5000 for both the rows - middle bench and rear jump.

Seats from Innova/Xylo were also available at similar rates. But my guess is their fitment would need some alterations to the body.

Be mindful though, the seating capacity will change to 7. Won't be a problem for a white board vehicle but can be an issue if yours is a yellow board - guessing from the 9 seater variant.

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Were it not for absurd import duty levels the Fortuner, SFX, Pajero Sport, would all have been priced similar to the Scorpio and Storme.

It high speed manners is down to design and engineering. They are all boxes be it good or bad looking.
Naah. I think Toyota is way too greedy to have priced it at Scorpio/Storme levels - irrespective of the duty.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 6th November 2014 at 16:35.
Dry Ice is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 18:31   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This is boxy too, yet rock solid at silly speeds:

The Scorpio's handling is down to its chassis, suspension tune, hardware etc. While the design might be a contributor, it's placed down on the reason's chart.
//chassis, suspension tune, hardware etc// Adding all these will certainly bring more agility, But at a high price tag added, which Benz had done. For a product like Scorpio, when no own wants to give up is tall stands - for this price - I hope Mahindra is giving it what they can.
Old 7th November 2014, 11:35   #113
Senior - BHPian

Had my first brush with the new Scorpio yesterday when my son forced me into visiting the show room.

My observations / comparisons with vis a vis my 2007 Scorpio after an almost 5 Kms. drive:

Pros:

1. The interiors are definitely much more premium looking
2. The reverse gear was surprisingly, extremely smooth and so unlike the old generation.
3. The ICE / Navigation system looks a killer so does the driver information
4. The clutch was extremely soft (actually too soft for my liking)
5. Could not test the brakes at higher speeds due to traffic but seemed good as ever.
6. The AC was chilling in 35 degree + head of the mid day and the car cooled pretty quick despite being parked in the sun (I can vouch of the front row only though).
7. They engine bay is much better organised and cleaner looking.

Cons:
1. The basic Scorpio DNA remains unchanged and the handling is still like truck despite the smaller and thinner steering which did not appeal to me.
2. In the 3rd gear the stick was still vibrating but not as wildly in the older version.
3. The pickup was did not seem to be as peppy as my car and seemed to be struggling at low speeds in the 1st gear, maybe due to the test vehicle which had barely run over 2000 Kms.
4. The rear vision is severely restricted due to the smaller rear glass.
5. The foot well is as cramped as ever, recommended that one never drives it wearing long toed shoes.
6. No space for the tools, cramped and small glove box.
7. The seat fabric seems to be pretty rough and down market though the design and colour combination was good.

Quote:
The Scorpio's handling is down to its chassis, suspension tune, hardware etc. While the design might be a contributor, it's placed down on the reason's chart.
Agreed Sir, but not fair comparing a 16 lacs vehicle to a almost 2 cr one
m_upreti is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 11:58   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is boxy too, yet rock solid at silly speeds:
G Wagen come from a military DNA, similar to what Wrangler, LR Defender, Toyota LC 70 etc were made initially for.

G Wagen filtered into civilian market and carried on from there by introducing luxury features.
Parm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 12:31   #115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Agreed Sir, but not fair comparing a 16 lacs vehicle to a almost 2 cr one
Well lets compare it to Duster AWD? XUV? Storme?
You do not need 2cr to create a decent handling vehicle.

Heck the 6.5L Dmax handles better and is very well engineered.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 16:03   #116
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi buddy,

Really sorry to say this, but you couldn't check the actual product you're buying for a million bucks ?! Had you categorically told the dealer that you want a 7 seater and do you have this documented? Without that and a PDI, you only have yourself to blame. Related thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
I guess even M&M might get closer to this if you can pay 1+ Crore to them.
Touché!

The car I used as an example was probably too extreme, but I was debating the point on 'boxiness' alone affecting high speed dynamics. Clearly, that isn't the case.

If you want something closer, take the Chevrolet Tavera. It's boxy, yet handles far, far better than the Scorpio. The Pajero & Grand Vitara are other boxy designs that have good handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 23:29   #117
Senior - BHPian

Good effort, it's a winsome losesome situation. On some fronts, the car appeals to the buyer a lot. On some other fronts, M&M have lost the game and the car looks and feels cheap. Overall I would give them 3 out 5 stars. If I was in the market for a new car, I would definitely consider this one if it was in my budget. A very nicely compiled review; thanks for the detailed report. Overall the car is nice I think!
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2014, 10:06   #118
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
The Smaller yet Significant Things:

No other car gets the attention of the aam junta as much as an affordable SUV does. Several people (eg. this tow-truck guy) stopped by to click snaps of the Scorpio: with the XUV500:...

S2!!!, GTO, great review as always! It was also interesting going through the various comments and their rejoinders. And, like many others, I too am looking forward to the auto version as & when it is launched.

I wish, though, that there weren't so many references/comparisons to sedans. Most dedicated SUV users will agree that there is a world of difference between old school ladder frame SUVs and the mainstream monocoque offerings. We love the Scorpio for its near-indestructible (abuse-friendly as one commentator put it !) nature and the relative agility for its size. Those looking for prima-donna quality & manners should seriously apply elsewhere!
In conclusion mods, thanks once again for a great review. You've convinced me to go for it, just as soon as I get that windfall I've been waiting for!
shashanka is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 10:28   #119
Team-BHP Support

Any of you have booked the S10 4X4 model? How much of a waiting time were you guys quoted?
Old 10th November 2014, 11:39   #120
Senior - BHPian

Your car should have been in the production que or should have been produced already. Ask for a VIN no.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks