Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2015, 11:09   #286
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuMacher View Post
Can you find what is different between 2014 and 2015 models apart from the rear decorative. My hunch is ABS with EBD, EBD added newly. Owner manual says EBD, but if I recall website did not had ebd and I saw it in 2015?
I confirmed with a dealer and was told that body coloured applique was the only change.
Old 18th April 2015, 14:08   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme_on_d_way View Post
I confirmed with a dealer and was told that body coloured applique was the only change.
Thanks. Then I trust the owners manual and feel happy with my 2014 model. Wish you the best.
Old 18th April 2015, 15:38   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuMacher View Post
Can you find what is different between 2014 and 2015 models apart from the rear decorative. My hunch is ABS with EBD, EBD added newly. Owner manual says EBD, but if I recall website did not had ebd and I saw it in 2015?
Even the initial specs comparison done at the time of review of Scorpio in this thread itself, it's clearly mentioned that it has ABS and EBD. So, there's no doubt in that.
Old 18th April 2015, 19:30   #289
BHPian

Scorpio NG always had ABS and EBD. All four disc brake was the only thing it lacked.
Old 18th April 2015, 19:36   #290
BHPian

Had a query for owners. How is the scorpio doing as far as rattles and niggles are concerned. Let me know even the small live-able ones. I have had a dzire for almost 7 years which is still super-quiet ( even a small rattle caused by anything placed in the dashboard bothers me and I cant get my attention off it till I take care of that. Plus I am yet to make my first unscheduled visit to the ASS (touchwood). So kinda laid back and totally spoilt as far niggles and unwanted noise factor is concerned. I just get my vehicles serviced on time.

Last edited by Storme_on_d_way : 18th April 2015 at 19:40.
Old 19th April 2015, 00:12   #291
BANNED

Quote:
Had a query for owners. How is the scorpio doing as far as rattles and niggles are concerned. Let me know even the small live-able ones. I have had a dzire for almost 7 years which is still super-quiet ( even a small rattle caused by anything placed in the dashboard bothers me and I cant get my attention off it till I take care of that. Plus I am yet to make my first unscheduled visit to the ASS (touchwood). So kinda laid back and totally spoilt as far niggles and unwanted noise factor is concerned. I just get my vehicles serviced on time.

There are certain eccentricities that the Scorpio comes. Just to make us realize and live with the pedigree of crude, urbane and not-always-the-best-process-followed history that it has.

For starters, the starts. When u either fire up or shut down the engine, what the car gives you is nothing short of a good shake up. Noise? Yes, but blunt.

The much fabled dancing gear stick still makes its presence felt in the NG Scorpio. There will no time, no speed, no terrain that the gear stick doesn't bob around. Just to make its presence felt. Noise? Constant but extremely muted.

The steering wheel is super duper duper light. And I can't use more 'dupers' to magnify the fact as to how light the steering wheel is. Although one shouldn't but if you leave the steering hold over potholes, the wheel happily and instantaneously changes course. Something that a German would never do (take it from me, I just know!). Noise? Yes, in the head. It's a constant irritant.

I am into the 3rd month of ownership, hence rattles and sounds aren't something I look forward to. But one tug at the glovebox, or the acres of hard plastic you feel yourself wrapped up in NG Scorpio, and you will know that it's going to make some jungle sounds later.

I happened to put a car freshener in the cubby hole next to the hand brake. Since that seemed to be the only available and logical place to keep it. That bloody darn thing keeps rattling since there is no felt covering inside of the cup holders. Noise? Aplenty.

Ps. You see, I unfortunately share the same level of non-existent ability to take in sounds in my cars 😝
methecupid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 23:10   #292
BHPian

Methecupid, thanks so much for the details . Would appreciate it if more owners can come forward and help out with the query.
Old 21st April 2015, 13:14   #293
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Had a query for owners. How is the scorpio doing as far as rattles and niggles are concerned. I have had a dzire for almost 7 years which is still super-quiet ( even a small rattle caused by anything placed in the dashboard bothers me and I cant get my attention off it till I take care of that.). So kinda laid back and totally spoilt as far niggles and unwanted noise factor is concerned.
Now now, there are few things. And I was preferring not to answer, but you being about to take the plunge, thought to chip in with my views.

The erst while Swift used to rattle & rattle a lot, it is a known phenomenon. And yours does not, now I really do not know, whom to accolade for this, you or your car

Usually, chassis on frame designs do not rattle much, the seats/doors might squeak but that is it. I have noticed this behavior with both the Scorpios, Safari/Storme, Pajero & the Fortuner after living with them for some time/kilometers.

Now any of us, cannot say with certainty that your Scorpio might not rattle. My VLX with 32K on board doesn't rattle one bit, but the suspension after yesterday's hammering has started to squeak, maybe the bushes are shot.

Do not think Scorpio makes it to the list here Not many mentions I think.

Else close to 4,000 kilometers and I see no niggles, squeak or rattle of any kind. The glovebox sometimes faintly murmurs, but I shut it quiet. Will be piling on multiple 400 kilometers a day in the coming 15 days, so lets see.

Quote:
Methecupid, thanks so much for the details . Would appreciate it if more owners can come forward and help out with the query.
Quote:
I just get my vehicles serviced on time.
So do most of us, at least I. I only wish regular consumables change.
Old 21st April 2015, 13:30   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Had a query for owners. How is the scorpio doing as far as rattles and niggles are concerned.
I have a mHawk SLE for the past 5+ years. There will be some rattles and niggles in a Scorpio. If there aren't, then it's a counterfeit one

More than rattles and niggles, I would be more interested in finding out if this problem has been remedied in the new version: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...reak-down.html

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 21st April 2015 at 13:31.
Old 21st April 2015, 13:54   #295
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
I would be more interested in finding out if this problem has been remedied in the new version: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...reak-down.html
The gear box is new & carried over from the Xylo. Xylo was not plagued from the clutch slave cylinder failure issue.

I think, the issue will not be repeated.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2015, 14:27   #296
BHPian

Thanks sheel. May be my dzire is an exceptional case. By the way, only today the seatbelt lock started rattling. Lol. Guess I spoke too much too soon. Took it to the service centre and they said they will ne changing the whole seat belt set and as the lock does not come as an accessory. Well since I have a vlx in family and the owner, my brother in law keeps it in a top notch shape, his vehicle doesnt rattle at all. I was concerned about the new shape as I did notice quite a lot of hard plastic being used too. More than that, it would be those unseen door noises etc that would bother me more. Anyways, I took a test drive today. The ride definitely is much more settled than before. Tried it sitting on every damn seat available . Did not like the interiors much ( though its surely better than the phased out model) , the test drive vehicle was only 6k km old and showed some terribly dirty patches on the light coloured interiors almost everywhere. Confused because of that age ol battle between mind and heart. Heart still cries out for Storme while the brains say "look no further and book a scorpio".
Old 21st April 2015, 15:39   #297
BHPian

Seating configuration-
Firstly for a small family of 4 people and 2 kids the captain seats (7 seater- 4 bucket and last row bench) is a good configuration. Advantages have been mentioned in various posts of the kids moving around, old folks able to get in and get out and have their private spaces. The second row bench behaves like an angry elephant when going over an alternating undulation and throw people on each other. The captain seats with the belts on are a better choice. The last row bench can be clicked out if you are strong/will need a helping hand (heavy) to increase the boot space to fit a Nano.

Coming to the cooling-
NG Scorpio has excellent cooling. With the auto AC on, it cools really fast to the desired temperature and the trick is to reduce by 2 degrees and allow the compressor and blowers to work in steps. The car cools very well all the way to the end. I have done a couple of things in my car to help it cool better-
  1. Its a white car
  2. Installed additional insulation on the floor
  3. Under chassis coating
  4. I have premium leather seats (discarded the fabric seats)
  5. I have used additional carpets and mats on the floor
  6. Lastly I have expensive clear film on all the glass area (this is a big savings -on cooling and has also improved the milage by 2-5%)

I believe there is a aftermarket activated carbon air filter availabe from Bosch which deodorize the car and filters the air. I did inspect my OE filter and cleaned it once (had some dust and lint). Plan to replace the Bosch filter in the next service.

General Service-

Fluids-
Draining the gearbox oil is a pain and M&M could have got the drain plug/the gearbox cross member in a different position.In the current configuration, the access to the drain plug is through a hole in the cross member and the oil tends to splash over the cross member while draining.

Brakes- The reverse vacuum or loss of braking is a concern over a sudden descend on a say a road bump.
Drums- The rear drums were replaced by M&M as they used to vibrate at 90-100KMPH

Alloy wheel- Spare alloy is not available as yet and have been following up for over 5 months.

Head Unit- Bluesense app is not visible in the app store. HU continues to hang while on calls sometimes (I have an apple device) and the maps are not as good as XUV.

Rear Door jam- My driver happened to close the back door with a tiny piece of the boot mat on top of the rubber wedge in the door sill. The door got stuck and refused to open. If you were to pull harder and force the lock to open, the metal link connecting the plastic bush mechanism to the lock bends and worsens the situation. If you are stuck in a similar situation, dont yank the door handle. Get into the car and open the rear door pad, unscrew the speaker rings and release the lock. You can save a bent link rod and some time at the workshop. Wish M&M had given an inside handle for the rear door.

Gearbox/Clutch Bell- While I don't see any opening on the Clutch bell, if you were to wash the engine area with water, it gets in somehow and this is my feeling.The clutch feels light and shudders after the wash. Have any one of you experienced the same problem.

Tyres- The F RH tyres runs hotter and higher pressure than other tyres since the exhaust manifold rons close to the tyre.
Miyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2015, 18:50   #298

It is hilarious that even when i saw a few body colored applique carrying Scorpios on road, M&M's customer representatives as well as my local dealer here at Patiala (Punjab) didn't know about this. After one day they said that s8 or lesser models have body colored appliques but s10 still has black colored applique.

BUT IT IS OFFICIAL NOW. ALL COLORS except RED have body colored appliques. Check out the image attached.
Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review-scorpio-colored-applique.jpg
harneets04 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2015, 21:36   #299
BHPian

Hi miyer

How and what additional insulation is done by you in ur scorpio. Kindly update about the cost involved in that too. What kind of coating are you talking about. Lastly plz tell me the cost of the costly film that you have got installed on.

It would be of great benefit to me specifically keeping the excessively bad summers of Delhi in consideration.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th April 2015 at 12:20. Reason: Quote not necessary
FidoDido is offline   Received Infraction
Old 27th April 2015, 13:28   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidoDido View Post
Hi miyer

How and what additional insulation is done by you in ur scorpio. Kindly update about the cost involved in that too. What kind of coating are you talking about. Lastly plz tell me the cost of the costly film that you have got installed on.

It would be of great benefit to me specifically keeping the excessively bad summers of Delhi in consideration.
Hi Fido,

Firstly, I used a 8 MM Butyl foam rubber (used for AC insulation) on the floor just after the polyester mat. This costs between 100-300 per Sqft and available in most AC insulation stores. You are also getting self adhesive ones from 3M and will perhaps be more expensive.

Over that you can have a choice of full flooring mats. My dealer offers bespoke tailored 3 MM soft vinyl flooring. I used .8mm hard vinyl flooring.

The under chassis was sprayed with 3M stone guard. This is a rubber based coating that helps reducing NHV levels, provide protection from flying debris from the wheels and to a small extend some heat insulation.

I used V Cool brand silver clear film for the front glass and was something like 11K. The rest was one step lower and the total clear film came up to 21K.I negotiated hard.

I also used some powdered Zinc spray (wurth can) on the turbocharger exit chamber, cat and expansion chamber + option to coat the full length of the exhaust. I think it lowered the heat coming up to the cabin and to the RH front wheel. It also prevents the entire exhaust from rusting and looking good for its service life.
Miyer is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks