Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2016, 18:18   #991
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT_Dwarka View Post
Hi T-Bone
I am planning a trip from Bangalore to Dwarka in my 2012 nano around first week of September. Can you please provide any Nano specific pointers?
Hi Dwarka,

I would suggest you to read this and follow it as much as possible.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...ays-ghats.html

If you want to talk to me then pls feel free to PM me you contact number and I will call as soon as I can.

Regards,
T-Bone.
T-Bone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 10:09   #992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aksthedreamer View Post
Dear fellow team-bhp members and nano owners.
I want a help from you guys in making a decision.

From the past few days I have been reading reviews of the nano, ownership experiences, reviews etc. Here is why-
I own two pre-owned cars, a 2005 maruti suzuki swift (100000 kms) and a 2006 Chevy Optra (95000 kms). Both the cars have been fine till now in terms of reliability and all. But off lately, both of them have been giving me troubles with various parts, I have spent a decent amount of money to keep them running, most recently around 10k for replacing swift shockers etc. Recently the ac of optra died too on a hot summer afternoon.

But still whenever I have to go for a long trip, I take my brother's brio because I am just not confident in taking any of my cars due to the fear of break down as I mostly travel only with my gf.
That is when I think, when I cant even take the cars for outstation trips, what is the point in keeping both the cars when my monthly city running is hardly 800-1000 kms?

I have always loved the nano, for its looks, ease of driving and low cost of ownership (all this based on reading ownership reports and reviews).
I have four options right now-

My brother wants me to sell both the cars and buy a decent low mileage pre-worshipped car like his brio.
Second option is to keep both the cars and maintain them.
Third option is to sell swift and buy a new nano.
Fourth option is to sell both the cars and buy a 4-5 lakhs hatch, tiago and kwid I like.

I know this might sound lame because I am thinking of buying a nano for outstation trips mostly, but I have got this confidence after reading the ownership reports and experiences of you guys with your respective nanos.
Moreover, the lack of vitamin m is also a major reason, I really do not want to spend a lot of money from my income every month on car emi's.
I prefer keeping optra and selling swift, with swift's money and adding some more, I can make the down payment of nano, xta or xt, have not driven any.

So what do you guys suggest.
Sorry for such a long post.
Mods please move this post to the relevant thread if this is not where it should have been posted.
I am really late to reply this post. If you really love Nano then without any second thought go for it. Try to get a used one lx model which can be bought at very cheap price.

About Highway:
Well since I bought my Nano I have been doing regular out station trips the longest was 2000 Kms return journey. And the very frequent ones are around 400 Kms return trips. And I must say I have not had any problem so far. In fact not a single puncture I have faced. And I have covered everything thing from Bad stone roads to Ghats to Jungles to Express highways to Very congested Mumbai roads. I normally travel with 3 people only.

After using this car I became really confident about Tata Cars. Now infact I am looking for new car from Tata only!

New Nano is more attractive. So you can really check this Car.

Off the topic: I do get many people come and ask me about the car. One such instance I would like to share. Recently my car was parked at my work place. One stranger came to me looking for the owner when he saw my car parked. He asked me whether he should buy this car? He loved the car and really wanted to buy it but his friends family and other people he asked were not allowing him to buy Nano! He got some weired options within budget of 60 thousand. People told him to go for Indica or Maruti or something car in same budget. Clearly he was misguided by the Junta which has never owned a Nano!!
zaheer5776 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 15:29   #993
Senior - BHPian

I have always hated Nano. No specific reason because i think it was wrongly marketed to even think about this as a car. Now roll forward to 2016 and after moving into heart of the city, my wifes requirement for only AT and yet a comfortable 4 seater.

Took the test drive on the Nano. And to reference this review, i didnt even like the SX4 for its useless seat design nor Yeti which i felt was very small. Not comparing these cars, but just setting a base line.

I have to say, Nano is one of the most underrated, brilliant and spacious car meant for city and spirited short out of city driving. Is it safe, probably not but hey the car is meant to be driven point to point to say drop your kid at the school which is probably a km from you home, go shopping, and basically have something that is easy to park, easy to ride and easy to learn driving as well.

Tata's gravest mistake was to not bring this version first and tout it as the cheapest AT car for the common man instead of calling it as the cheapest car. It is indeed cheapest AT for the common man.

The car is a ship in disguise. Seats 4 grown adults absolutely comfortably. Fully loaded the engine does struggle a bit but will take you without a worry. The leg space is enormous for a car of this size. The practicality for city driving is just under stated. This is very comfortable to zip around in the city. I have to say my image on Tata has changed after testing this AMT version. With over a lakh cheaper than the Maruti, i am going to pick this Nano shortly. Will write a owners review post purchase but quick pros and cons below.

Pros
- Stunning space
- Practical equipment list
- Steering, leg space and overall interiors is actually not bad.
- Great rear seat space to carry 4. 5th will be strict no - no unless they can share the front seat
- AMT is not that bad. Does a decent job and when set to say Manual or sports mode, grunts hard while giving you the RPM required and you can move faster.
- 40-50KMPH is heavenly zone.
- Total value for money
- Must have second car if you have a big sedan at home and drive in city.

Cons
- Brakes are pretty ordinary but for 40-50kmph you can learn to adjust how you break
- Side mirrors manual folding. May be i am too spoiled with atleast using a lever from inside (May be we can retro fit and drill a hole to customize this)
- Puny tyres dont add any confidence of grip so no way this can be driven fast.
- Poor audio quality. Purposeful, but not a great listening(Upgrade mandatory)
- Battery placed under seat is quite bothersome. I didnt like it
- Its a Tata

Additionally comes with 4 years warranty, 2 years AMC, Bumper to bumper insurance all inclusive and current estimated on road price chennai is around 3.5L.
VW2010 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 16:23   #994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I have always hated Nano. No specific reason because i think it was wrongly marketed to even think about this as a car. Now roll forward to 2016 and after moving into heart of the city, my wifes requirement for only AT and yet a comfortable 4 seater.

I have to say, Nano is one of the most underrated, brilliant and spacious car meant for city and spirited short out of city driving.

Tata's gravest mistake was to not bring this version first and tout it as the cheapest AT car for the common man instead of calling it as the cheapest car. It is indeed cheapest AT for the common man.

Additionally comes with 4 years warranty, 2 years AMC, Bumper to bumper insurance all inclusive and current estimated on road price chennai is around 3.5L.
Brilliantly stated sir. This pretty much encapsulates what the GenX Nano is all about. Its a wonderful package for the city and yet so underrated.
Yes, there are a few quality control issues, but the Nano it makes up for it in pure spunk.
I think Tata has missed a glorious opportunity in touting this as a practical automatic for the city. Come to think of it, I don't recollect a single TV ad about the Automatic Nano. I think Tata needs to take a leaf out of Mahindra hat and have ads which actually showcase the features of the car like Mahindra has been doing on YouTube with ads for the KUV1OO.
It breaks my heart to see less than a 1000 have been sold last month.
NiXTriX2004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 17:44   #995
BHPian

Quote:
I have to say, Nano is one of the most underrated, brilliant and spacious car meant for city and spirited short out of city driving. Is it safe, probably not but hey the car is meant to be driven point to point to say drop your kid at the school which is probably a km from you home, go shopping, and basically have something that is easy to park, easy to ride and easy to learn driving as well.

The car is a ship in disguise. Seats 4 grown adults absolutely comfortably. Fully loaded the engine does struggle a bit but will take you without a worry. The leg space is enormous for a car of this size. The practicality for city driving is just under stated. This is very comfortable to zip around in the city. I have to say my image on Tata has changed after testing this AMT version. With over a lakh cheaper than the Maruti, i am going to pick this Nano shortly. Will write a owners review post purchase but quick pros and cons below.
Congrats VW2010 on booking the Nano AMT. You have summarized the strengths of the Nano very nicely. Its a true city car and Tata should have shouted out loud from rooftops and got people to take notice of its positives.
Old 8th June 2016, 17:50   #996
BHPian

Quote:
Cons
- Brakes are pretty ordinary but for 40-50kmph you can learn to adjust how you break.
- Poor audio quality. Purposeful, but not a great listening(Upgrade mandatory)
To improve the braking performance change the stock tyres to Bridgestone tyres of the same size. The bonus will be significantly reduced road noise and better wet weather grip. Also the additional cost incurred on them will pay you back since they have better quality rubber which will last longer. I paid 1200 rs for each tyre after exchanging my stock MRF.

Last edited by damodar : 8th June 2016 at 17:51.
damodar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 20:58   #997
BHPian

The super Nano - 200 BHP.

Track drive by Autocar.

This car is developed by JA Motorsport. The car is powered by a modified super bike engine which develops 200 BHP. Its not road legal though

Power to weight

Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-nano.jpg

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 8th June 2016 at 21:00.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2016, 17:16   #998
BHPian

A member from family booked an XTA at Aadya motors, Hebbal. Though OTR price was Rs.3.81L, we ended up getting free insurance for the 1st year, AMC for 2 years and Rs.5000 cash discount. An additional Rs.2000 corporate discount is likely closer to delivery. Final price was Rs.3.58L. The staff looked courteous enough and hope the process completes smoothly.
Old 15th June 2016, 17:41   #999
BHPian

Tata Nano Electric variant spotted!

Quote:
Not confirmed for launch by Tata Motors, yet.
Rushlane has posted a slew of spyshots of a regular GenX Tata Nano with camouflaged front and rear bumpers. What’s interesting to note, however, is the presence of an exterior fuel filler cap (a first on the Nano), though the publication states it is actually an electric socket.
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-purportedelectrictatananofrontspiedtestinginmaharashtra1024x616.jpg
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-purportedelectrictatananosidespiedtestinginmaharashtra1024x684.jpg

Source :http://indianautosblog.com/2016/06/t...testing-235141
sairamboko is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 19:50   #1000
BHPian

Friends,
Is there anyway to improve performance of Nano AMT car by remap?
Can we improve the braking of Nano AMT? Any other options?

These are only two concerns holding me back.

Appreciate your inputs.
Old 16th June 2016, 07:54   #1001
BHPian

Hello BHPians,
Going to book my Nano XTA today. Was bit skeptic about the decision mainly because of the image associated with Nano. But after going through the reviews in team-bhp and taking a test drive yesterday, I finalized on going ahead with the booking. This will be the second car to my Pune stable, along with the Ford Classic. Nano will be used by wifey for her daily home-office-home routine, and for the occasional city drives. For her, such a small foot print car with power steering and AMT is a wonderful package. Going for Pearl White and they have offered to give delivery in 10 days as white is readily available in stock.

The AMC part was not discussed or explained by the SA. Need to check with him today. Will go for the gold package as advised by many here. It will make the ownership much more worry free.

Had found a sticker in one mall saying "My other car is a Ferrari". That will be going on the Nano
harikr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 08:47   #1002
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Cons
- Brakes are pretty ordinary but for 40-50kmph you can learn to adjust how you break
- Battery placed under seat is quite bothersome. I didnt like it
Once you get the hang of the brakes, you will find they are as effective as any other car. If you are switching from front discs to drums, for the first couple of days you will need to practise and get used to the brakes.

Mirrors are tough, they will likely break other cars' mirrors if two cars brush each other.

Front tyres though thinner than the rear, are as grippy as anything. I am on my stock MRFs at front, close to 4 years and 65k kms. They are due for a replacement but they haven't skidded yet. And I drive daily on some of the sharpest curves you would find within city limits, at speeds of 60kmph.

You will soon forget about the battery under the seat.

All these observations from owning a Nano and driving it almost everywhere I went, including Goa, Karnataka, even a bit of offroading near Lonavla.
honeybee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 09:18   #1003
Senior - BHPian

Puny tyres versus larger tyres = low grip versus high grip, is a common fallacy.

Grip depends on the size and shape of the contact patch, a wider tyre may change the shape to a less advantageous one. Grip also depends on the quality of the rubber and the compound mix, and will vary from one make to another make. It is also affected by tyre pressures used.

The battery placement is a non issue, what is the concern other than of seeing it if you bend down?

Brakes are a little weak, and one needs to get used to them before speeding. Although given the curtailed top speeds, they may be as effective as those on another car that doesn't have those limitations; not something of which I have done any comparison. The weaker brakes ought to encourage better driving habits, and reduce chances of being tail ended.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 10:44   #1004
BHPian

Have completed 2000+ Km with "Sylvie" our XTA. Got the first service done at around 1300 Km. No complaints or issues at first service other than my struggling to fix the time on the console clock . Service center guys smiled and fixed the clock time for me.

The last few hundred Km I have been using the "Manual" mode on the automatic. This and the "Sport" mode are really fun to drive with the regular "Auto" mode being the most boring due to the slower engine response. Power and pickup for city is more than adequate. I use it primarily on the weekends within the city for all pickup and drop duties and also take it to office(total daily office commute is 50 Km) couple of days in a month.

AC is still amazing and kept me cool during the worst of summer. Audio system with the phone pairing let me drive peacefully with multiple days of boring "unwilling participation required" conference calls. One needs to lean in towards the Mic for the other side to hear you once in a while.

The brakes for the size of the car and the power of the engine for 99% of the time are more than adequate. This is assuming you are within the speed limits and leaving enough distance for braking in front of you. The 1% I mention because I have felt a drop in vacuum assist in stop and go traffic when the brake is used many times with the creep mode. The situation I have experienced is the car starts to move forward (after a couple of stops all in stop and go traffic only) with the creep mode but if a sudden stop is required at the exact moment when creep mode starts again, I felt the brake pedal seemed hard/less responsive. It would still stop, just that it takes some getting used to. Hope this is clear. Once you experience it you are prepared for it and it doesn't bother you the next time.

The biggest 3 irritants for me so far is that I wish it had a bigger fuel tank, doesn't have a usable cup/bottle holder. and needs proper seat belts at the rear.

Been tracking the FE on Fuelly. FE average so far with mostly city commutes is 13 Kmpl.

PS: I am still driving it since the wifey hasn't started driving yet.
PPS: Have any of you installed the Tata Motors Service Connect App (TMSC) ? Has all your service details, dealer locator and also some other fun stuff like a GPS Trip meter etc.
sjcherian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 16:26   #1005
Distinguished - BHPian

Fire breaks out at Tata's Nano plant in Sanand

12 fire tenders have been reached the spot. According to initial reports, the broken out in the plant's food supply unit.

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...anand/52779350

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks