Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2016, 18:48   #1036

Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
Thats too bad it didn't work out.
Also would like to point out a few things before you get the car (I am getting mine tomorrow)
1. Do a detailed PDI. My PDI on Saturday yielded the following results
a. Left fog lamp loose.
b. Right rear bumper slightly scratched.
c. Left globe box with a spot of dirty.
d. Ill-fitted wheel-cap on right front tyre.
e. Rear left window plastic cladding slightly unhinged (the triangular thing. Not sure what its called)

All this after an official PDI had already been done.
2. Also, I am being told that the mud-flaps are not in stock. Do check for the same. If they confirm that they have it in Dairy Circle, do DM me.

Any plans on accessories ?
@Bangalore folks, do help out with any reliable shop which stores basic accessories like door beadings/seat covers etc for the Nano in East Bangalore.
Having booked Tana Nano GenX AMT, I am offered free delivery of the car at home. Should I accept that or doing a detailed PDI at the showroom itself will help me detect problems and report it then answer there?
Old 20th July 2016, 18:51   #1037

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
Congrats on the new purchase !!!!! and Thanks for the suggestion on PDI, the S.A., asked me to visit Prerana Motors Yard at Nelamangala and do PDI

I have booked at Prerana and not Concorde

I'm getting black "Y' shape alloys, the one which Alpahere has & costing 12K Concorde quoted Rs.16.75K for same alloys which they do not have stock and has to source from Tata, Pune & deliver only after 2 weeks. "Art leather seat+rear parking sensor" package for Rs.4.5K which is Rs.5K at Concorde.
Note that rear parking sensor is with just beap, beap & has no display. I am going with this at dealer as the electrical warranty will be intact.

For Door beading, window visor, car cover, you can visit J.C Road.
I was quoted Rs 16.5 K for black alloys from the Concorde Showroom in Kochi (Kerala). They said buying alloys from outside is a risk, since the quality cannot be assured, whereas the alloys at the showroom, is checked by Tata for quality, and comes under warranty.
Old 20th July 2016, 18:53   #1038

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebinz View Post
I was quoted Rs 16.5 K for black alloys from the Concorde Showroom in Kochi (Kerala). They said buying alloys from outside is a risk, since the quality cannot be assured, whereas the alloys at the showroom, is checked by Tata for quality, and comes under warranty.
I was told that installing reverse parking sensors were a risk because the engine is near it and since the wires for the sensors are thin, they may get damaged soon. Same risk if a camera is placed.
Old 20th July 2016, 20:33   #1039
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
Having booked Tana Nano GenX AMT, I am offered free delivery of the car at home. Should I accept that or doing a detailed PDI at the showroom itself will help me detect problems and report it then answer there?
I would say it would be better to do a detailed pdi a day before delivery(refer tbhp checklist) so that issues can be sorted out and you can have a glitch free delivery at showroom or home.
Personally I don't trust a new car with a showroom driver. He will simply not follow running in instructions.
Mik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 01:53   #1040
BHPian

Quote:
I was told that installing reverse parking sensors were a risk because the engine is near it and since the wires for the sensors are thin, they may get damaged soon. Same risk if a camera is placed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
I'm getting black "Y' shape alloys, the one which Alpahere has & costing 12K Concorde quoted Rs.16.75K for same alloys which they do not have stock and has to source from Tata, Pune & deliver only after 2 weeks. "Art leather seat+rear parking sensor" package for Rs.4.5K which is Rs.5K at Concorde.
Note that rear parking sensor is with just beap, beap & has no display. I am going with this at dealer as the electrical warranty will be intact.
I have installed a reverse camera from the first week of getting the car. Got it done from outside because TASS was pricing it double of what was available outside. It is still working flawlessly after more than a year and 12000 km on odo. The camera wire is taped on the same bundle of wires that feeds the number plate illumination lights and heads into the car. It does not get even warm to the touch ever. The damage that they said is probably true if the wires are routed over some hot equipment like the radiator or coolant hoses or anywhere near the engine.

I did consider between a sonar sensing system which gives beeps based on your distance and a reverse camera with display. In the end I opted for a camera for the following reasons:
- Did not want to drill holes in the bumper.
- The sonar will have 4 sensors and they do not seem to fit flush with the bumper because of the curve. One could probably insert a tool and pry it out.
- For sonars, the beeps after the minimum distance do not convey anything. There could still be about a foot or so of space left behind the car.
- Having a camera properly angled and installed has none of these problems. No holes, fits perfectly and inconspicuously above the number plate and once you are used to the display calibration, never fails to give you the closest park possible. Maybe even lesser than 5 cm of distance!
- Both are priced about the same.

But definitely a reverse aid is a must for a car like nano that has a high back. For shorter drivers like me, even Royal Enfields could be hidden below the rear window!

Last edited by alphahere : 21st July 2016 at 02:21.
alphahere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2016, 16:12   #1041
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post
I have installed a reverse camera from the first week of getting the car. Got it done from outside because TASS was pricing it double of what was available outside. It is still working flawlessly after more than a year and 12000 km on odo.
Please share more details about the reverse camera. What sort of display are you using? Which brand?
Old 22nd July 2016, 16:28   #1042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeprevving View Post
Please share more details about the reverse camera. What sort of display are you using? Which brand?
Please see the post below:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3796013

Recently I discovered that the display has two RCA inputs. One is used by the camera and the other is free. A portable player can be connected to the second input if one so wishes. On the back side of the display there are 3 buttons that can be used for controlling brightness, contrast, etc.

TASS has a display that looks exactly like this but it has only one input and no display controls. In place of the 3 buttons, there are 3 holes. For their whole cam/display combo the price comes near to double what I paid for mine.
alphahere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2016, 17:11   #1043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
As you must know, the front and rear tyres are of different sizes, by design.
Was just reading some back dated posts, and came across this one. And then it hit me... Being different sizes, then tyre rotation would be an issue.

Also, the spare tyre, where would it fit (front or back) in case a need arises to change. Again the different sizes could hinder the travel?
sawah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2016, 17:48   #1044
Senior - BHPian

Good questions: tyre rotation gets limited to changing sides, but that isn't a big deal.

The spare is the front size, and one has to be careful in driving the car to the closest repair shop where a rear tyre suffers a flat and the spare has to be used.
Old 22nd July 2016, 19:15   #1045
BHPian

Quote:
For their whole cam/display combo the price comes near to double what I paid for mine.
Can you post some photos of how you routed the wire from the rear bumper into the cabin? Also did you take the wire for the front display from underneath the carpet?
Old 22nd July 2016, 21:03   #1046
BHPian

Quote:
Please see the post below:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3796013

Recently I discovered that the display has two RCA inputs. One is used by the camera and the other is free. A portable player can be connected to the second input if one so wishes. On the back side of the display there are 3 buttons that can be used for controlling brightness, contrast, etc.

TASS has a display that looks exactly like this but it has only one input and no display controls. In place of the 3 buttons, there are 3 holes. For their whole cam/display combo the price comes near to double what I paid for mine.

Looks pretty neat.
Where did you get this installation done ? How much did you pay for this ?
Old 27th July 2016, 10:19   #1047
BHPian

Guys,

Taking delivery of Nano AMT today. Planning to change stock to Bridgestone tyres based on recommendation here. Spoke to tyre dealer in Chennai & he is asking for 1.2k per tyre. Is it a fair deal?

Thanks for all your guidance.

Regards
tifosi.
Old 27th July 2016, 10:27   #1048
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you really need a reverse camera for a Nano. I am mind fumbling to find a reason for that simply because its just too small and everything you need to see is pretty much visible from all the glass inside the car. Sedan i understand with the elongated boot but for Nano i personally feel its an over kill.

What i think will be rocking is an amazing audio system inside that bone chilling car screaming the audio out completely hiding the nasty exhaust note.
Old 27th July 2016, 10:33   #1049
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
Guys,

Taking delivery of Nano AMT today. Planning to change stock to Bridgestone tyres based on recommendation here. Spoke to tyre dealer in Chennai & he is asking for 1.2k per tyre. Is it a fair deal?
Hi I also got the same price when I exchanged in July 2015 for my XTA. These tyres transform the cars braking due to much higher grip levels with a bonus of reduced tyre noise.
damodar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 23:45   #1050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Can you post some photos of how you routed the wire from the rear bumper into the cabin? Also did you take the wire for the front display from underneath the carpet?
It's all hidden behind the bumper and below the carpet and nothing can be seen unless the trim is taken out in the boot next to the engine compartment. These trims are bolted in place and was taken out during the install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Looks pretty neat.
I paid somewhere between 4k and 5k. Don't remember the exact figure. Got it done from a shop called AutoFusion near Kormangala.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
Guys,
I have used B290 on my previous nano twist with all four same size and the braking and handling was miles ahead. It was just an experiment to upsize the front wheels to see what difference it would make. I do not know if the wider front wheels helped braking but I did not feel any negative effects of upsizing. Recommend that you stick to stock sizes with Bridgestone and not upsize because the car has been designed that way for a reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Do you really need a reverse camera for a Nano. I am mind fumbling to find a reason for that simply because its just too small and everything you need to see is pretty much visible from all the glass inside the car. Sedan i understand with the elongated boot but for Nano i personally feel its an over kill.

What i think will be rocking is an amazing audio system inside that bone chilling car screaming the audio out completely hiding the nasty exhaust note.
In my opinion, the purpose of a camera is not to help park the car, but to avoid accidents. The aid to parking is just a bonus. If we are talking about an older gen M800 or Zen, then practically everything behind the car is visible through the rear glass because the car itself sits so low. But not in a nano. Nor in any of the newer Tata cars like Vista, Bolt, Zest, etc. If there is a bicycle or a motorbike parked directly behind the car, no amount of craning the neck from inside will reveal that.
My first hand experience of backing up over the newspaper boy's moped unknowingly is enough proof for me of the blind spot behind the car. The camera primarily serves to nullify this risk.
Also there is no need to hide the nasty exhaust note in the car with screaming music. The exhaust note is audible only to outsiders. The GenX sounds pretty much like any other petrol engine from inside most of the time I feel.

Last edited by alphahere : 27th July 2016 at 23:51.
alphahere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed