Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2017, 12:47   #1321
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogWheel View Post
Picked up a April 2016 model Nano XTA. A well maintained car for 60% of its current OTR price and with 30 more months of Warranty. For in-city use only - our current diesel sedan serves all other purposes. Breeze to drive once you get used to the brakes.

Have two question for owners / experts:
1. Is there any reason not to use the Sport mode as the primary mode other than the fuel efficiency? Is it in any way detrimental to engine or gearbox?
2. Does a tyre upgrade improve the braking. If yes, which tyres?

Thanks and cheers!
In last one year of ownership of Nano XTA, myself and my wife (who is the primary user) have almost always run only on S mode. Many of us actually feel S mode should have been the default mode and the regular mode is too lethargic. Unfortunately, there is no option to hold the mode you select and every time you restart the vehicle, one has to press the S mode button to activate the same. If TATA could add that feature of retaining the mode selected even after a restart through an ECU software update , would be really useful.

Make sure that you choose the same tyre sizes when going for a tyre upgrade. The rear tyres are wider than the front tyres to avoid understeer, this being a rear mounted engine.

Last edited by sandsun7 : 20th November 2017 at 12:49.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 17:11   #1322
Senior - BHPian

18 Month feedback.

Pros
- Best 5 seat'er in any segment. Sits 5 adults comfortably
- Pulls 1 or 5 with the same energy. No lag based on load. (My first gen swift feels lethargic when fully loaded)
- Absolutely easy to drive around city and easy to park
- Very quiet on inside
- Bone chilling AC which we switch off in every drive we make
- Has fantastic ride quality on bad roads which was surprising
- Manual shift and S mode work very well once you get an understanding of the auto gear shift pattern.

Cons

- Noisy on outside
- Very lethargic auto gear
- Shifts way too early to 2nd gear and shifts way too late to 1st. This is the biggest minus on the Auto gear. The shift down hesitates and then slots and hence makes you plan for any sudden change of direction, speed or even move when driving.
- Have to be very mindful of physical limitation while taking corners. Fear of toppling over always exists.
- Puny brakes does a good job but as long as you drive it below 60 you can stop the car at will.
- Not a fuel efficient car by any extent. In city driving it probably gives anywhere between 10-12kmpl.

Tricks:- For slow moving traffic drive in Manual mode and swap down to 1 faster than what the system can do on its own.

Summary - Best city car with some mid distance fun for the owner. Can definitely do faster speeds but it is just not worth the risk.

Last edited by VW2010 : 20th November 2017 at 17:12.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 10:37   #1323
BHPian

I too have picked up a used XTA recently. While going through manual realised that there is a clause which mentions that warranty is suspended if car if transferred without TaMo's consent.
If this how it is on reality life as well?
Old 21st November 2017, 11:37   #1324
BHPian

How is the wash+wipe on the nano? Is the wash effective? I tend to use the washer often when it is raining.
Old 21st November 2017, 12:48   #1325

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
How is the wash+wipe on the nano? Is the wash effective? I tend to use the washer often when it is raining.
The wiper is quite effective in rains. The sweep is pretty good for a single wiper.

The wash is also quite effective. The only complaint I have with the wash, is that the water storage capacity is really small. I live in a really dusty area, due to which, I use the wash/wipe function every day. I find myself refilling the water quite frequently (something like thrice in two weeks).
Old 21st November 2017, 12:52   #1326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Personally i have to say this is the only part where engineers decided to hand it over to road side puncture wala who is good at what he does but not really a handy man when it comes to designing windshield wiper.

Its useless. I am trying out some Diy including figuring out the wiper blades etc. My feedback is, the wiper is useless.
Old 26th November 2017, 09:37   #1327
Senior - BHPian

R.I.P. Little Bug.
You are certainly not as bad as people paint you to be.

http://www.business-standard.com/art...2500617_1.html
arjab is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 12:18   #1328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are certainly not as bad as people paint you to be.
I call my car the best utility car. The engineering marvel off course. A friend of mine rode with me through the same roads he takes on his endeavor, sedans and even regular hatchbacks. He was wondering how the nano was taking all the bad roads with ease and absolutely no discomfort to people inside.

The best utility car that was instead sold as cheapest car and ended up being costly and thereby meeting its end.

Except the owners, it is always a huge surprise face when others take a drive on it and ask you questions about nano and end up comparing with their own small and sedan size cars.
Old 29th November 2017, 17:10   #1329
BHPian

Last week on a whim took a test drive of the Mahindra E20. Felt it was sluggish with 3 people on board and didn't justify the cost of 8.2 L on road. AC was very feeble too.

That day had taken my Nano XTA to office and couldn't help but compare the humble 3.5 L on road car with the E20. Took two colleagues on a short drive immediately after the E20 drive and they were amazed by what the Nano offered by way of interior space, AC cooling (within minutes of starting) and in terms of response in S mode with 3 people on board. The grand finale was with me parallel parking in a spot which the other two were emphatically denying that it was too small to park in.
sjcherian is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 22:25   #1330
BHPian

My wife drove a Tata Nano Twist manual (2014). We loved the car. A practical, spacious little bug that can turn on a dime. Wanted to buy an automatic as she was suffering from leg pain. Was on the verge of picking up an XTA but the news that TML may stop production anytime made me look for other options - ended up buying a Tata Tiago XZA. Will miss our Nano!!
chennai-indian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 07:10   #1331
BHPian

I need advice on where to find Engine Number for taking prints for Nano XTA.

My FNG guy said it is impossible. There is a number punched near door frame but seems it is chassis number. Called up TaMo helpline and local dealer. They were clueless as well.

RTO is asking it for issuance of NOC to transfer the vehicle.
Old 1st December 2017, 09:43   #1332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindabad.sailor View Post
I need advice on where to find Engine Number for taking prints for Nano XTA.

My FNG guy said it is impossible. There is a number punched near door frame but seems it is chassis number. Called up TaMo helpline and local dealer. They were clueless as well.

RTO is asking it for issuance of NOC to transfer the vehicle.
It is in the manual. Page 118. If I am not mistaken it should also be on the invoice. You can also check on the Tata Service app by putting your car details.

Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-9d2690f4f8fe4ecca9f640050b000b93.png

From the look of it you will see it on the bottom possibly

Last edited by torquecurve : 1st December 2017 at 09:44.
torquecurve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 11:09   #1333

Hello,

I own a 2016 Nano XTA. At the time of delivery, I was given two metallic keys and one remote for the remote central locking system.

Recently, I inquired with Aadya motors about making a duplicate of the remote key, and was told that this was not possible as it is possible to pair only one remote with the car.

Somehow this explanation does not seem right to me. Has any one made a duplicate remote key (either from the TASS or external agency) ? or point me to resources at Bangalore where I can get this done ?

Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 11:37   #1334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Somehow this explanation does not seem right to me. Has any one made a duplicate remote key (either from the TASS or external agency) ? or point me to resources at Bangalore where I can get this done ?
Check the manual. There is a way to program those remote keys. Some sequence of moving the keys after slotting it into the barrel.

I just lost the keys with the remote. Changed the complete set for 1800. Planning to add the remote and i will share if i can get two remotes to be programmed.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 11:56   #1335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_sajeev View Post
Recently, I inquired with Aadya motors about making a duplicate of the remote key, and was told that this was not possible as it is possible to pair only one remote with the car.
In case you know the the central locking system brand you can directly call their customer care for a duplicate remote. In my Safari it was MINDA and I lost/destroyed my remote multiple times. At one point of time I had 3 remotes all in working condition hence I don't feel the explanation is true or maybe dependent on type of system installed.

Apart from this my last and current remote is a flip key type which doesn't comes with Safari. The remote is of some Mahindra vehicle which is programmed to work with my system. So better check with the central locking system company guys rather than TASS as they are expert and have better knowledge on this.

Pics attached for reference. You can spot Mahindra on back side although I masked it with black tape.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img20171206wa0005.jpg  

Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img20171206wa0006.jpg  

Last edited by roby_dk : 6th December 2017 at 12:11.
roby_dk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks