Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2016, 12:27   #6316
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevee View Post
I am in a little quandary. I have booked a 1.6 Alpha in granite grey on 18th Dec. The Nexa guys told me that if this colour comes in the last batch of December then he will give me the car. But I was trying to get a 2017 built car for which I might get it only in the second half of January. What should I do? If I get a 2016 car should I take it or wait? Also since all Nexa cars are getting Isofix should I hope this comes in the 2017 version?
As arvind71181 rightly mentioned, the model helps only in the resale value unless S-Cross gets ISOFIX in 2017 models and you need it.

I got my S-Cross in 2016 Feb but it was a 2015 model. Now, I am someone who will keep the car for 7-8 years at least and at that point, the difference in model has little impact. Secondly, I got the 2015 model at 1 lakh less than the 2016 prices - which means I am not going to lose in resale even if I see it earlier. Check out if you can manage some deals for the 2016 version. That and the expected price hike should take care of what you might lose in resale whenever you plan to sell the car.

All the best for your S-Cross!!
Vigkey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 13:15   #6317

Hi guys, just booked a S cross 1.3 Zeta in Caffeine Brown colour at Nexa Kharghar 2 days back. I have been informed that they don't have the colour in stock but they will manage to deliver the vehicle by end of this month. Meanwhile, the loan documents have been collected and the application is already under process. I have been calling up the SA since yesterday enquiring about the vehicle status but he is unable to reply. Hope to get the vehicle on time as promised.
Old 21st December 2016, 16:27   #6318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
Secondly, I got the 2015 model at 1 lakh less than the 2016 prices - which means I am not going to lose in resale even if I see it earlier.
1 Lakh.!!!

Could you please let us know the break up of the discounts?

The NEXA guys setup a bay in our office campus today, the discounts on the S-cross were as follows-

1) Rs.40K exchange bonus(Debatable).
2) Rs.10k corporate discount.
3) Freebies worth Rs.10k-15k( basic accesories set + Headunit for Sigma).

The on-road price without discounts is approx. 9.75L. Is it a good offer?

Also, is it a good time to buy a diesel car now,as most small capacity diesel engines might be shelved by 2020?

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 21st December 2016 at 16:30.
Old 21st December 2016, 20:28   #6319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
1 Lakh.!!!

Could you please let us know the break up of the discounts?
Hey jetsetgo08, 1 lakh sounds like a huge discount, but the situation was totally different in Feb 2016.

When I was looking for the car, the on-road price (undiscounted) of S-Cross in Bangalore was around 17.7 lakhs which was well out of my budget (12 lakhs). I had initially booked S-Cross 1.3 Zeta which would fall in my budget and cancelled it due to some personal reasons. Now, when I went for the second time and was looking to decide between 1.3 and 1.6 in early Jan 2016, I was told that they have stock of some 2015 model 1.6 Alpha for which they can give good discounts. I bargained a bit and was offered ~3 lakhs on the on-road price bringing the discounted price to 14.7 lakhs.

Now, in a couple of weeks, Maruti themselves reduced the price of S-Cross and the 2016 models came to an on-road price of ~15.4 lakhs. So, effectively I was getting a discount of only 70k. I said, that was unfair as I was getting a previous year model and bargained more and got corporate discount of 10k and 15k worth accessories free. So, the effective total discount came to ~1 lakh

In fact, I am not a great bargainer and hence got only an average deal and there were people who got much better deals at that time. I mean, there are ppl in this forum who got a 1.6 Zeta for 12 lakhs

Quote:
The NEXA guys setup a bay in our office campus today, the discounts on the S-cross were as follows-

1) Rs.40K exchange bonus(Debatable).
2) Rs.10k corporate discount.
3) Freebies worth Rs.10k-15k( basic accesories set + Headunit for Sigma).

The on-road price without discounts is approx. 9.75L. Is it a good offer?
I think these are some standard deals going on at the moment and I am not sure if there are people getting better deals at this point. However, this being the year end, you can push for little more.

Quote:
Also, is it a good time to buy a diesel car now,as most small capacity diesel engines might be shelved by 2020?
I am not sure of this, but I was really impressed with the car and did not think much about all this. I guess I will deal with it when it happens.

Last edited by Vigkey : 21st December 2016 at 20:33.
Vigkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 20:42   #6320
BANNED

Quote:
Get it buddy.

Even if it is shelved tomorrow, Maruti Suzuki will support you and your cars till 10 years from the date is phasing out. Not many owners generally have cars that long so one need not worry.

Plus there is no concrete information on this shelving plans so don't break your head on this topic. Get the car and enjoy.

Quote:
I am not sure of this, but I was really impressed with the car and did not think much about all this. I guess I will deal with it when it happens.

Last edited by a4anurag : 21st December 2016 at 20:43.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 20:53   #6321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Such thoughts shouldn't hold you back. If you think the car is worth it, buy it.

Who knows, even IC engine maybe phased out by 2020.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 21:25   #6322
BHPian

Regarding shelving of diesel cars - from what I have understood and read - and I am happy to be corrected if wrong -

The new environmental norms which will set in by 2020 will push up costs dramatically to make smaller diesel engines stick to those norms. This would make the purchase of a car with a smaller diesel engine prohibitive as the difference in the petrol and diesel price of the same car will not justify the diesel purchase.

It will be easier and more cost efficient to adapt petrol engines to the new norms.

This leads me to believe that that having a smaller diesel engine in your car might actually bring you a fairly robust resale value.

For those waiting for ISOFIX - while ISOFIX is definitely a boon - almost all car seats can also be strapped using seatbelts.

On another note, with respect to my saga with the booking of the 1.3 Zeta and the conflicting information provided by the dealer and the 1-800 Nexa number regarding getting a 2017 manufactured car - I got a call from a Suzuki representative who confirmed that the dealer is right and he regrets the information provided by the 1-800 number is inaccurate. The Rs. 40000 exchange bonus is valid only on dealer stock - which naturally is 2016 manufactured cars. My phone automatically records all calls and I had forwarded the audio files to Nexa and cced the dealer to get a clarification.
Old 21st December 2016, 22:42   #6323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think these are some standard deals going on at the moment and I am not sure if there are people getting better deals at this point. However, this being the year end, you can push for little more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Get it buddy.
Get the car and enjoy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
If you think the car is worth it, buy it.
Thanks people. I haven't yet finalized on the car. But S-cross, by far is the best built Maruti that I have experienced(barring the kizashi). Also, I would have to reconsider my financial situation before I jump the gun. Mind says 'NO' but heart says '(YE)S-Cross'.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 10:38   #6324
BHPian

Turning off a Running S-Cross 1.3 DDiS 200

Based on some recent reports where the electronic control systems get jammed leading to unwanted acceleration or not being able to turn off the car, I tested turning off a running my S-Cross 1.3 Alpha today on a safe spot while doing 80 KM/hr speed. This what I attempted and the results

a. Depressed the clutch.
b. Repeatedly pressed the Start/Stop switch - Nothing happened
c. Press and held the Start/Stop switch. After 5 seconds, the car switched off.

Due to the speeds, the only visual indications were the speedo needles going off to 0 as well as the RPM. So it was proved that I can turn a running S-Cross simply by depressing the clutch pedal and then Press + hold the start stop button.

A couple of points - Since the electrical system is off, you should expect the following

a. Harder to steer.
b. Power brakes are harder to depress and don't pump it, instead press hard and hold it. The mechanism is designed to be used in such circumstances but with adequate force will stop the car. You will need longer distance to stop though.

I then engaged the clutch and pressed the start/stop button again for ignition and then once again for starting engine. The running car started without any fuss, engaged into an appropriate gear based on speed and continued driving.

Sharing, just in case someone finds this useful

Sadly, the only issue I ran into today was that I got a hit on the windshield while driving and now there is a crack which needs fixing.

Last edited by sudeepg : 22nd December 2016 at 10:46. Reason: adding additional detail
sudeepg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 10:42   #6325
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
a. Depressed the clutch.
b. Repeatedly pressed the Start/Stop switch - Nothing happened
c. Press and held the Start/Stop switch. After 5 seconds, the car switched off.

Due to the speeds, the only visual indications were the speedo needles going off to 0 as well as the RPM. So it was proved that I can turn a running S-Cross simply by depressing the clutch pedal and then Press + hold the start stop button.
Risky testing, IMO. Was the brake working as intended when the car was switched off while running?
Old 22nd December 2016, 10:47   #6326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Risky testing, IMO. Was the brake working as intended when the car was switched off while running?
Yes, the brakes were working and I tried it only on an empty stretch. But atleast I know what to do in the event of an unexpected situation. Added more detail to my original post which I forgot to but remembered since you asked.

Last edited by sudeepg : 22nd December 2016 at 10:48. Reason: adding additional detail
sudeepg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 11:09   #6327
BANNED

Quote:
Yes, the brakes were working and I tried it only on an empty stretch.
But as natural human instinct, one will pump the brakes repeatedly to get the desired braking force due to the tension "setting-in" the brain in an emergency situation. Steering would get harder but not as hard as the brake pedal IMO.

So what this test clears is, pressing the start/stop button once will NOT switch off the engine rather one would need to hold the button for a few seconds to switch the engine off. Great!

This is particularly a good logic because, children sitting in the front seat would sometimes press the button accidentally when the car is in motion and the driver would panic for reaction.

In the case of S-Cross, this issue isn't an issue because the button on the right of the steering so out if reach for children but in case of some cars like XUV 5OO, Hyundai's it is placed on the left of the steering wheel.

Last edited by a4anurag : 22nd December 2016 at 11:13.
Old 22nd December 2016, 11:25   #6328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Based on some recent reports where the electronic control systems get jammed leading to unwanted acceleration or not being able to turn off the car, I tested turning off a running my S-Cross 1.3 Alpha today on a safe spot while doing 80 KM/hr speed. This what I attempted and the results
A quick question, what about the steering. S-Cross has a electrically actuated steering lock, is there a risk of the steering lock getting engaged?
Old 22nd December 2016, 11:44   #6329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

A couple of points - Since the electrical system is off, you should expect the following

a. Harder to steer.
b. Power brakes are harder to depress and don't pump it, instead press hard and hold it. The mechanism is designed to be used in such circumstances but with adequate force will stop the car. You will need longer distance to stop though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
But as natural human instinct, one will pump the brakes repeatedly to get the desired braking force due to the tension "setting-in" the brain in an emergency situation. Steering would get harder but not as hard as the brake pedal IMO.

So what this test clears is, pressing the start/stop button once will NOT switch off the engine rather one would need to hold the button for a few seconds to switch the engine off. Great!

This is particularly a good logic because, children sitting in the front seat would sometimes press the button accidentally when the car is in motion and the driver would panic for reaction.
According to the EU manual I downloaded off the internet, you can switch off the car in an emergency, while it is in motion, by either triple-clicking the start/stop button, or holding it down for more than 3 seconds.

The manual also explicitly asks not to pump brakes in this situation, as there is a bit of reserve boost that can be used only for one pump of the brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
A quick question, what about the steering. S-Cross has a electrically actuated steering lock, is there a risk of the steering lock getting engaged?
I think the steering lock gets actuated only if the engine is switched off and the driver's door is opened. I will try this today and update this thread.
EDIT: Confirmed - had to dig through to another section of the manual to find this information. Steering locks only if the ignition is switched off and door is opened.

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 22nd December 2016 at 11:47. Reason: Added info
KiloAlpha is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 11:53   #6330
BHPian

Good question, but I didn't try steering at all since this was not a very controlled test and was tested on an empty straight stretch after making sure no cars were around. But in all likelihood, the steering will lock

Last edited by sudeepg : 22nd December 2016 at 11:53. Reason: More details added

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks