Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2016, 20:15   #6286
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Slightly Off-Topic:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
...Ive had VERY VERY bad experience with JKs in the recent past with our Dzire suffering as much as 4 tire bursts in a span of 2 months...The reason for the bursts might have been that the hard tires got too hard as car was under used (~30k kms in 7 years) - but it is a petrol and we did not intend to drive it too much..
Which year of ownership did the tyre bursts happen?

Quote:
...I know it is not advisable to use tires older than 5 years. But they giving up like they were programmed to - is unbelievable...It is simply based on my personal experience - but I will never trust a JK again.
Putting my last 2 cents. The Michelins on my GTX had developed cracks in less than 5 years due to low running (averaging around 3K kms/year). I easily had a 50% tread remaining at that time but was advised to replace those to avoid any tyre burst accidents. I think the car had done just around 10K with those on. We all swear by the quality of Michelin, don't we?

My dad's cars (M800 / Wagon R) have always been run on the stock tyres. I know for a fact that the Wagon R was really abused, but the stock tyres held till 40K (on both cars) in 4 years and were sold off. Both were shod with Vectras. While I personally am not a fan of the Vectras, I somehow feel the Elanzos are engineered better.

Finally, the ownership should be peaceful for the owner and they should take a call depending on their preferences.

PS :: Right now, am running on Korean tyres since my usage pattern remains same and doesn't make sense to splurge of high quality tyres. So far, with around 1K running from the time of installation, I don't really find a lot of problems with these tyres which otherwise have a nasty reputation on the forum.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 15th December 2016 at 20:17.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2016, 20:31   #6287
BHPian

Does the S-Cross use a timing chain or timing belt ? A colleague of mine who is currently using an S-cross 1.3 is facing an issue where the RPM increases while pressing the accelerator but there is no equivalent acceleration felt .

A local mechanic mentioned that the S-Cross uses a timing belt and it could be at the verge of failure.

The vehicle is run for about 40k .
Old 15th December 2016, 22:16   #6288
BHPian

Quote:
I know it is not advisable to use tires older than 5 years. But they giving up like they were programmed to - is unbelievable. You would not believe me - The tires gave up each time the car crossed 80 kms in a stretch and this the maximum speed in the stretch were always less than 80 kmph.
Almost the same happened with vectras on my swift about 5-6 years ago. Twice they burst. The age and the tread was not a problem. The only thing going against it was that both times it happened in sweltering June weather. So the high temperatures was maybe the only reason in both cases.

Last edited by ampere : 15th December 2016 at 22:46. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 15th December 2016, 22:47   #6289
BHPian

Quote:
All 4 times, the tires gave up while we did the Trivandrum to Tenkasi or return trip and doing high speeds in this ghat stretch is not possible. The tires were not under inflated, ran on proper tar roads, no high speeds, no high ambient temperatures (always ~30 degree Celsius), no overloads. Age of the tire was the only factor on the wrong side for us and it burst off so consistently like balloons. It is simply based on my personal experience - but I will never trust a JK again.
I found it really surprising that you replaced one tyre by one each time till all the 4 tyres gave up. I do not understand what was your logic of replacing just one tyre each time, that too after the blow out. And this was even after knowing the fact that the tyres have crossed 7 Years. (7 years of usage. The tyres may be older than that based on manufacturing date)

You should have replaced the complete set when the first tyre gave up. You took very high unnecessary risk putting yourself, your family and others on road into risk.

If tyres are almost due for replacement and one tyre give up, please replace the complete set. If new tyres and one went out of service because of some accidental tyre failure, then the single replacement is OK.

Last edited by Sree73 : 15th December 2016 at 23:15. Reason: additional info
Sree73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2016, 22:55   #6290
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
Does the S-Cross use a timing chain or timing belt ? A colleague of mine who is currently using an S-cross 1.3 is facing an issue where the RPM increases while pressing the accelerator but there is no equivalent acceleration felt .

A local mechanic mentioned that the S-Cross uses a timing belt and it could be at the verge of failure.
It's a timing chain in 1.3 S-Cross and timing belt in 1.6 S-Cross.

I think the local mechanic is wrong. This scenario looks like more of a worn out clutch plate.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 15th December 2016 at 22:58.
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2016, 23:23   #6291
BHPian

Sorry for going again. But it is my responsibility to answer the questions and close the conversation. Really sorry for the long post. Thanks for understanding.

Mods: If you think it is appropriate, please move the conversation regarding tire blasts to the related thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Which year of ownership did the tyre bursts happen?
The car is a Nov 2009 make and we encountered the bursts in the second half of 2015. To answer your question, the tire were in its 6th year when the bursts happened.

This is a pre-owned car that we purchased in Apr 2013 with ~16k kms on odo and were shod with JK Vectras. By end of 2015, it had run ~30k kms. In the last 1 year the car saw very limited run and covered less than 1500 kms. So, currently the 7 year old car has run ~32k kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy481 View Post
Almost the same happened with vectras on my swift about 5-6 years ago. Twice they burst. The age and the tread was not a problem. The only thing going against it was that both times it happened in sweltering June weather. So the high temperatures was maybe the only reason in both cases.
All the bursts happened in the Trivandrum to Tenkasi stretch and happened on normal tar roads in decent condition. The ghat roads make sure the top speed was below 80 kmph and all the times the tire burst when the car had covered around 70 to 80 kms in a single stretch. The ambient temperature was always around 30 degree Celsius. The tires were not under inflated as we have a practice of filling it with Nitrogen each time before a long trip. The only thing against us was the age of the tire - which we realized a little late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
I found it really surprising that you replaced one tyre by one each time till all the 4 tyres gave up. I do not understand what was your logic of replacing just one tyre each time, that too after the blow out. And this was even after knowing the fact that the tyres have crossed 7 Years.
I totally understand your concern Sree. I admit, I was not acting very smart there by letting the tires die on its own.

When the first blow out happened, we suspected that it might have been my mistake. My dad was adamant that I probably did not notice some metal / concrete on the road which would have caused a puncture and I still drove on resulting in the blow out. I reluctantly gave in to it.

But when the second incident happened, I was very sure something was either wrong with the tire or with the car. I took the car to a Bosch service center and explained the whole incident. I specifically asked them to check the tires and also consider other factors that could have caused the incident. My dad had consulted his local mechanic also. The local mechanic came up with some explanations one of which was a damaged / worn tie-end rod. Coincidentally the Bosch guys also gave the same explanation saying that tie-end rod was worn and needed replacement. They also assured that the tire was still good to run at least another 15k kms. I took their word and made the replacement and confidently drove back.

My dad was driving the car when the third tire blast in a couple of weeks and that is when we realized that tire was indeed the real culprit. Only after that is when I seriously searched here in our forum as well Asked my dad to replace all 3 JK tires (including spare and the one that had just blast) ASAP. This was on the way to Tenkasi and dad did not have enough cash in hand and went with just one replacement and promised me that he will change the other two once he is back in Trivandrum. Unfortunately, the fourth tire blast on the way back when my BIL was driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
You should have replaced the complete set when the first tyre gave up. You took very high unnecessary risk putting yourself, your family and others on road into risk.
I know. But lack of awareness and some circumstances forced me to do otherwise. I am thankful to my and my family's stars that nothing untoward happened to anyone in any of these episodes.
Vigkey is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2016, 00:03   #6292
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
Does the S-Cross use a timing chain or timing belt ? A colleague of mine who is currently using an S-cross 1.3 is facing an issue where the RPM increases while pressing the accelerator but there is no equivalent acceleration felt...
Timing belts or chains usually have a minimum 1L km replacement interval. Seems to be an issue with clutch as Naren pointed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
.... This scenario looks like more of a worn out clutch plate.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2016, 01:17   #6293

Has anyone else noticed that the car is prone to scratches and dents very easily. I love my S cross,but still the paint job is not up to the mark. I think I have been unfortunate that the body of my car got dented when a stupid delivery boy parked his bike beside the car in a very careless manner. Please share your experiences, especially those where bikers are involved.
Old 16th December 2016, 06:13   #6294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermeow View Post
Has anyone else noticed that the car is prone to scratches and dents very easily. I love my S cross,but still the paint job is not up to the mark. I think I have been unfortunate that the body of my car got dented when a stupid delivery boy parked his bike beside the car in a very careless manner. Please share your experiences, especially those where bikers are involved.
I also do have small scratches from bikers on road. But, I do not think that's because of the paint job not being up to the mark. Most of my previous vehicles also had a similar scratchy experiences.

S-Cross has a decent paint quality. May not be matching with some of the German cars in India.
Old 16th December 2016, 11:53   #6295
BHPian

Coming back to the tyres on the S-Cross.

1. I have spoken to a recommended tyre chap in Opera House. He has offered to replace the stock 4 tyres (JK Elanzo) with Yokohama Earth 1 tyres for a total price of 9,000 all in. He said he will not be able to source Hankooks but if I insist he will source Michelins for me but they will of course be helpful.

2. I spoke to another fellow who is on the Team BHP directory and located on Lamington Road. He said there are a lot of Elanzos in the market right now and he offered me 3k per tyre and offered be Goodyears as a replacement for about 12k all in.

3. The Nexa chaps themselves said they could do a swap with Goodyears but "will discuss the pricing in person".

I understand Earth 1s are marketed as "designed for India". This size in Earth 1s is a recent addition.

I have stock Goodyears on my Elite i20 in the 195 avatar and they are pretty good.

Any advice based on the above data is welcome .
Old 16th December 2016, 12:38   #6296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
Coming back to the tyres on the S-Cross.

1. I have spoken to a recommended tyre chap in Opera House. He has offered to replace the stock 4 tyres (JK Elanzo) with Yokohama Earth 1 tyres for a total price of 9,000 all in. He said he will not be able to source Hankooks but if I insist he will source Michelins for me but they will of course be helpful.

2. I spoke to another fellow who is on the Team BHP directory and located on Lamington Road. He said there are a lot of Elanzos in the market right now and he offered me 3k per tyre and offered be Goodyears as a replacement for about 12k all in.

3. The Nexa chaps themselves said they could do a swap with Goodyears but "will discuss the pricing in person".

I understand Earth 1s are marketed as "designed for India". This size in Earth 1s is a recent addition.

I have stock Goodyears on my Elite i20 in the 195 avatar and they are pretty good.

Any advice based on the above data is welcome .
While I have no personal experience of any of these tyres (Yoko Earth 1 or Goodyear), in your position I would plump for the Yoko Earth 1. Purely based on the reputation Yokohama has as a tyre manufacturer.

Looking at this another way, any reputed brand of tyre is more than likely to be better than the stock JKs fitted to the S-Cross. So, whether you go with Goodyear or Yokohama, in the end, you are getting a better tyre.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2016, 13:00   #6297
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. I have spoken to a recommended tyre chap in Opera House. He has offered to replace the stock 4 tyres (JK Elanzo) with Yokohama Earth 1 tyres ..
Using Earth-1's on two cars right now. Go for these. Try for 1 size up, instead of stock size.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2016, 14:40   #6298
Distinguished - BHPian

10000 KM / 3rd Free Service Done

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img20161216wa0006.jpg
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img20161216wa0000.jpg

Total Bill : ~4000 Rs

Details here :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post4110962
Dr.Naren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2016, 22:17   #6299
BHPian

A contradictory update on the booking.

On a lark, I called up Nexa's toll-free number. Surprisingly, they did have all my information at hand. I told them that I did want a brown S-Cross but the dealer has said that the exchange bonus is valid only on the existing stock and he only has White, Silver and Grey.

The Nexa S.A. put be on hold and checked with her superiors - she assured me that if I wanted to book the brown, I could and I would get the exchange bonus as well as get a car manufactured in 2017.

I promptly called up the S.A. from Nexa Lower Parel and politely told him that perhaps he was mistaken. He tried to convince me that the Nexa HQ people are unaware and that it is only a call-center - they have no knowledge of the manufacturing.

I once again called the hotline and incidentally got the same agent - who double checked with her superiors and stuck to her guns. She offered to take a complaint against the Nexa dealer - but I said that is not necessary now. She said as far as the invoice is clear in December, that's all they care about. Incidentally the car they have allotted to me is made in December 2016.

I spoke to the Nexa S.A. again who was a bit more conciliatory but did say that he will check with his boss. He also went off on a tangent about how people who had booked the Brown S-Cross in September were not delivered their cars. I said, I was happy to wait wait a couple months. I am expecting his call tomorrow morning.

What should be my next step?

Last edited by invidious : 16th December 2016 at 22:18.
invidious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2016, 22:34   #6300
BHPian

Quote:
On a lark, I called up Nexa's toll-free number. Surprisingly, they did have all my information at hand. I told them that I did want a brown S-Cross but the dealer has said that the exchange bonus is valid only on the existing stock and he only has White, Silver and Grey.

I promptly called up the S.A. from Nexa Lower Parel and politely told him that perhaps he was mistaken. He tried to convince me that the Nexa HQ people are unaware and that it is only a call-center - they have no knowledge of the manufacturing.

I spoke to the Nexa S.A. again who was a bit more conciliatory but did say that he will check with his boss. He also went off on a tangent about how people who had booked the Brown S-Cross in September were not delivered their cars. I said, I was happy to wait wait a couple months. I am expecting his call tomorrow morning.
Hi indivious! I think the Nexa SA is simply trying to push his existing stock to you by saying stuff like "Exchange bonus valid only for cars in stock" and "Customers who booked for Brown in September are still waiting". Any seller would love to clear off his existing stock before ordering new, but cheating the customer this way is not right.

If I were you, I would stick to the color of my choice and fight and get the exchange bonus which was initially offered. I am pretty sure that the Nexa customer care executive has given you accurate information and it is the dealer who is trying to misguide you.

Last edited by Vigkey : 16th December 2016 at 22:35.
Vigkey is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks