Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2016, 20:28   #6151
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sip View Post
There are vibrations felt in clutch during gear change beyond 1750 RPMs so I tend to change gears below 1500 RPMs with assumption of minimising clutch wear and tear in this manner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I hope you do not lug or strain the engine in an attempt to save the clutch. When you shift below 1500 RPM, the RPM would further drop and you are literally in that famous turbo lag zone of 1.6 S-Cross. I have faced no issues shifting at above 2000 RPM.
Well, I guess Sip was mentioning about down-shifts Up-shifting at 1500 rpm does not seem like a sensible option and like Naren has said, it will result in lugging the engine. Which in turn will result in a need to give more accelerator inputs and reduced fuel efficiency. Moreover, the discussion prior to his post was related to downshifting from 3rd to second.
Vigkey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 20:43   #6152
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimit3105 View Post
1) When I'm driving around in the city and say I'm in third gear at a speed of around 40km/hr. Now if the car in front of me slows down a bit, I apply the brakes and decrease the speed to around 28-30km/hr. The RPM reaches around the 1k mark. Now when I want to get a move on, since the RPMs are quite low I naturally downshift to second and let the clutch out and try to move. But the issue is, whenever I do this, the Car jerks a bit and it feels as if I have downshifted a bit early than I was supposed to.
Of what I have been driving my Swift DDiS,

0-15kmph - 1st to 2nd gear,
15-30kmph - 2nd to 3rd gear.

So as seen the speed of 30 kmph is the upper limit where the RPM is 2000.

For upshifting I use 2000 as the limit and downshifting it is 1300 rpm.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 21:37   #6153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Of what I have been driving my Swift DDiS,

0-15kmph - 1st to 2nd gear,
15-30kmph - 2nd to 3rd gear.

So as seen the speed of 30 kmph is the upper limit where the RPM is 2000.

For upshifting I use 2000 as the limit and downshifting it is 1300 rpm.
You must be getting brilliant FE if you are maintaining the RPMs like this and yes this won't lug the engine.
Old 22nd November 2016, 22:04   #6154
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
You must be getting brilliant FE if you are maintaining the RPMs like this and yes this won't lug the engine.
I get an average FE of 21.5 kmpl.

Did a recent drive of 600 kms round trip and the FE increased overall by 0.4 kmpl to a final reading of 21.9 kmpl with speeds maintained between 95-105 kmph.

I don't take the RPM above 2000 be it an for upshifts and mostly don't let it touch 1000 for downshifts. I hate those jerks!
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 22:11   #6155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I get an average FE of 21.5 kmpl.

Did a recent drive of 600 kms round trip and the FE increased overall by 0.4 kmpl to a final reading of 21.9 kmpl with speeds maintained between 95-105 kmph.

I don't take the RPM above 2000 be it an for upshifts and mostly don't let it touch 1000 for downshifts. I hate those jerks!
My dad drives the same way like you. He maintains 2000 RPM most of the time in 5 th gear, guess the speed should be 100 kmph. He always gets 1.5 kmpl more than me .

I did full tank of my car 2 days back and dad drove to Bangalore. He is on the way back now and had sent me picture of MID. He got average fuel efficiency of 19 kmpl for last 600 KM. This includes driving in Bangalore traffic too.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img20161122wa0016.jpg  

Old 22nd November 2016, 22:30   #6156
BANNED

Quote:
My dad drives the same way like you. He maintains 2000 RPM most of the time in 5 th gear, guess the speed should be 100 kmph. He always gets 1.5 kmpl more than me.
Neither baby the engine nor rip it!

With over 2 lakh kms of experience on the 1.3L DDiS, I have learnt to keep her happy and also my pocket happy too.

I see a similar engine behavior with the 1.6L DDiS. Just that one must not get addicted to that turbo kick post 1800 RPM and keep flooring it. I know it is easier said than done.

Waiting to lay hands on my DDiS320 too.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 22:42   #6157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just that one must not get addicted to that turbo kick post 1800 RPM and keep flooring it. I know it is easier said than done.
Haha!! It's too difficult to resist . Post remap, I have wider power band which is more aggressive too. I love the turbo kick and shift at 3500 RPM, really enjoy it ( not always though).

You had suggested me to go for Brembo brake pads. A dealer in Goa said they have it for S-Cross. But I am little concerned because there are many fake Brembo pads in market.
Old 22nd November 2016, 22:55   #6158
BANNED

Quote:
You had suggested me to go for Brembo brake pads. A dealer in Goa said they have it for S-Cross. But I am little concerned because there are many fake Brembo pads in market.
Ask him for some kind of authentication of the Brembo pads!

Some kind of import certificate or pads warranty card. If he is genuine you should get the proof!
Old 23rd November 2016, 00:46   #6159

Extremely detailed article ! Thanks for that !

I am currently looking to replace my Swift ZXI with a new car (boot space issues). My budget is close to 15 Lakhs. Spoke to the Bimal and Kalyani Nexa outlets and took a second test drive of the S-Cross DDIS 320 today. Felt amazing and reassured. Everything in S-Cross seems beautifully set in its position (just like the Swift minus the touchscreen) and it offers an amazing engine, decent boot plus oodles rear seat leg room which was of primary importance to me. The on-road price from Bimal and Kalyani are both around 15.3 Lakhs and there is not much to choose between either of them.

I've had a lot of apprehensions to buy the S-Cross since everyone I discussed this with had a common feedback, "Have you gone crazy? Who puts up 15 Lakh of hard earned money on a dud car with did not take off even with the Maruti brand name behind it ?". I've had my apprehensions, trust me. Have had test drives of the Creta Petrol (SX plus) and Renault Duster 110PS RXZ as well. While Creta Petrol SX Plus is definitely a no no, I gave a serious thought to the Duster since 2016 facelift version the rear seat comfort is better (due to the removal of the rear AC Vents). Also, with 205mm of ground clearance, excellent driving experience and ABS along with EBD and EBA, the car was tugging at my brain for a very long time.

However, the main problem I understand with the Duster is with the after sales service. Apparently, they have only 3 service centers at Bangalore and there is no pick up and drop facility available. Also, the Duster's spartan interiors and dated touchscreen did not inspire me at any point in time.

Since I'm already spoilt by the kind of service on offer by Maruti and that the car felt right the moment I was done with my test drive, finally deciding to go ahead with the S-Cross DDIS 320. Going to book one on the coming weekend.

Thanks once again for a very well written article !
snoozey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2016, 10:58   #6160
BHPian

Happened to visit a Nexa showroom in Chennai to take test drive for a friend, now more than him I am obsessed to book 1.3 Zeta for me. My earlier plan was to go again for new Honda City as recently I sold my 5 year old City. I liked the seating position and wife also liked the car overall (Silver/Blue color). Offer I got is 25K cash discount+ basic accessories, also he agreed to help me on NCB transfer as I hold a 45% certificate from Royal Sundaram Ins. I am negotiating for a seat/Steering cover and they are yet to commit. When I insisted on the car with a newly designed alloy, he is not sure about that as car is in transit. He assured that Delivery will be within 15-30 days.

Please let me know if this is a good offer or I should ask for more. Thanks

Last edited by Samurai : 23rd November 2016 at 11:53. Reason: typo and formatting.
JVille07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2016, 11:34   #6161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoozey View Post
I've had a lot of apprehensions to buy the S-Cross since everyone I discussed this with had a common feedback, "Have you gone crazy? Who puts up 15 Lakh of hard earned money on a dud car with did not take off even with the Maruti brand name behind it ?".
I do not agree that the car is a flop. Yes, it's not selling as per the initial expectation of Maruti. Doing 2000 plus units consistently is not at all bad for a Maruti car with above 10 lakhs price.

Quote:
Since I'm already spoilt by the kind of service on offer by Maruti and that the car felt right the moment I was done with my test drive, finally deciding to go ahead with the S-Cross DDIS 320. Going to book one on the coming weekend.
Congrats buddy!! Trust me, you would enjoy the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVille07 View Post
Please let me know if this is a good offer or I should ask for more. Thanks
Wise decision. I don't know to say if it would be an upgrade if you had gone for New City since Honda has compromised on quality. S-Cross 1.3 Zeta is very VFM and pretty loaded. I too had booked 1.3 Zeta and later ended up getting 1.6 Alpha .

1.3 engine would be downgrade in terms of performance, if compared with City. 1.6 should be the perfect upgrade. Around 4000 RS more EMI would be worth every penny.

You have got good offer for 1.3 Zeta and you can still try to push for more goodies. I had got only 10K corporate discount.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 23rd November 2016 at 11:36.
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2016, 11:46   #6162

Quote:
You have got good offer for 1.3 Zeta and you can still try to push for more goodies. I had got only 10K corporate discount.
The offer is for the S-Cross 1.6L Alpha DDIS 320 And thanks for that reassurance, needed every bit of that !

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd November 2016 at 12:38.
Old 23rd November 2016, 11:47   #6163
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
2) There's a pungent odour coming from the car aircon. Whenever it is in the "fan mode" with AC off, there's this pungent odour that's quite uncomfortable to the passengers inside the car. As soon as, I switch the AC ON, it goes away. So I would like to know what's causing it as well. My AC is generally set to recirculation mode. Although I did try setting it to the fresh air mode to see if the odour goes away but It didn't work. )
I have this issue on my 1.3 Zeta as well. Please do update in case you find a solution to this, so will I.
Old 23rd November 2016, 12:16   #6164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I have this issue on my 1.3 Zeta as well. Please do update in case you find a solution to this, so will I.
Quote:
2) There's a pungent odour coming from the car aircon. Whenever it is in the "fan mode" with AC off, there's this pungent odour that's quite uncomfortable to the passengers inside the car. As soon as, I switch the AC ON, it goes away. So I would like to know what's causing it as well. My AC is generally set to recirculation mode. Although I did try setting it to the fresh air mode to see if the odour goes away but It didn't work.

Would be great to have your inputs on my two queries
It could be a problem of fungi inside the AC vents. I suggest you to run in fan mode with blower at the maximum speed and at higher temperature setting for a few mins before switching on AC everyday, so that the heat wave can kill the fungis and like.

Also clean your AC vents with a disinfectant like Tufkote/3M/Abro ones. You can go through this thread for more details:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ac-vent-9.html

Also, you can see my comment in this post:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post4057246

Its been 4 months I treated with the disinfectant and now I don't face this problem in my car, and offcourse, I follow what I have mentioned above (of running in fan mode) every couple of days.

KK
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2016, 12:39   #6165
Sip
BHPian

Quote:

Wise decision. I don't know to say if it would be an upgrade if you had gone for New City since Honda has compromised on quality. S-Cross 1.3 Zeta is very VFM and pretty loaded. I too had booked 1.3 Zeta and later ended up getting 1.6 Alpha .
Well Dr.Naren my decision to get 1.6 hinged primarily upon two things. Firstly a powerful car with adequate safety features was first and foremost requirement. Secondly i strongly believe when we are investing for 5-7 years its worthwhile to opt for a better product which promises to raise adrenaline levels. For example when in 2011, i chose Alto K10 over Swift Vdi for thrifty reason, i did regret this decision for entire period of Alto K10 ownership. This is inspite of Alto K10 being good VFM.
Now I have no such problem rather happy with my decision to stretch my budget for 1.6 and based upon this I can say its better to go for 1.6 if possible notwithstanding the brilliance of 1.3 S-Cross. I also believe that only way to find any shortcoming in 1.3 is to TD 1.6 !
Sip is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks