Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2021, 09:27   #9316
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
yours is a 1.6.

stick either to Michelins or Continentals and swap them in KL, where it is a good 1K cheaper than Madras.
I will say Yoko Earth 1 AE50 is bang VFM for 1.6
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 09:46   #9317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I will say Yoko Earth 1 AE50 is bang VFM for 1.6
The Yokos are a bit noisy no?
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 12:17   #9318
ike
BHPian

Quote:
By this you mean, the stock JK Elanzos lasted only 31-32K? Did you face a similar problem then?

I got 58K out of the stock UX Royales, more or less in lines with Govi's. But ours are 1.3 and yours is a 1.6.

Since you are coming from Michelins, stick either to Michelins or Continentals and swap them in KL, where it is a good 1K cheaper than Madras.
The Elanzos never had any problems other than crappy grip and being noisy. They had lots of tread left and would have lasted at least 30k more KMs quite easily but I had them changed as I was not satisfied with them. Mine's a 1.3 too, not a 1.6.

Michelins availability is a problem in KL, I believe in Chennai there are more preferred Michelin dealers in the city than whole of KL combined. WFH might end soon (around Jan 2022 I think) and I will be back in Chennai by then. Will change the tyres before that long highway drive though.

Quote:

Not as much as JK boss; the grip is quite evident than JK
I really wouldn't use JK as the benchmark, and I threw away the OE elanzos because of the noise. I thought I'd get used to them eventually but even after 30k KMS I found them very irritating. When it comes to grip, JK is as bad as it can get, even cheaper Chinese tyres will probably do better than JK.

Last edited by ike : 20th October 2021 at 12:34.
ike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 12:22   #9319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Yokos are a bit noisy no?
Not as much as JK boss; the grip is quite evident than JK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
Mine's a 1.3 too, not a 1.6
Yeah!! Sorry, I forgot

Quote:
Michelins availability is a problem in KL
Online; Amazon to rescue
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 10:02   #9320
Distinguished - BHPian

Did a 450kms round trip last week in my brother's facelift diesel S-Cross. Got an average of 23.3kmpl with speeds hovering around 70-80kmph with occasional bursts of 100 for overtaking. This was my first long drive in the Cross and I thoroughly enjoyed it. This car comes with SHVS. I'm used to driving a Brezza and throttle response is different between these two. For initial 50 odd kms, I was just getting the hang of it and later I enjoyed it. It doesn't give a feeling of push in your seat like Brezza but if driven in correct powerband, it feels like a Brezza. One thing I really hated were the LED headlamps. It's good only when you have to overtake a vehicle and the flashes do give you way but the throw is pretty average.

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_20211015_210359.jpg
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 13:34   #9321
Team-BHP Support

Running repairs at ~ 88,000 km & 6 years

It was a cold start for the car at home and I went to a market about 3 km from my home. While others shopped, I turned the engine off and was waiting in the car, listening to some music. After about 5 minutes, this error message popped up.

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-glow-plug-error.jpeg

Tried to crank the car, and it had no hesitation starting. But the error message stayed for a couple of seconds and then disappeared. Didn't switch off the engine again and returned home. A quick call to the resident experts Viddy & Jaggu and they diagnosed it as a glow plug malfunction. The error could be replicated easily over the next couple of days.

Took it to a MASS today, and one glow plug (out of four) was not working. It was replaced and the error disappeared.

Total Cost = Rs 700 for the plug + Rs 300 for labour = Rs 1000.
Eddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 14:23   #9322
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post

Took it to a MASS today, and one glow plug (out of four) was not working. It was replaced and the error disappeared.

Total Cost = Rs 700 for the plug + Rs 300 for labour = Rs 1000.
I have heard it is always good to replace the entire set as usually they tend to fail one after the other.
ike is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 23:36   #9323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
this error message popped up...Tried to crank the car, and it had no hesitation starting..
First time in 88K? Not bad. This warning has been my close buddy for the better part of last 38000 kms. I've been able to start on first crank even in colder places where temperatures were in 5-12 celsius.

I really wouldn't bother an adhoc repair for this. Get it done with your 90K service.

Many owners have got this, so you aren't alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Got an average of 23.3kmpl with speeds hovering around 70-80kmph with occasional bursts of 100 for overtaking
On mostly flat terrain, have got high 22s and low 23s maintaining low 90 km/h with occasional bursts of 100 over a 900 km range. The best being 24.3 cruising in low to mid 80s over 760 km.

Quote:
One thing I really hated were the LED headlamps.
This I was warned by aargee when I was a prospective buyer 3 years back. When I compared the Zeta and Alpha back to back. The halogen projectors on the Zeta were much better than the LED on Alpha.
narayans80 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 23:40   #9324
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have heard it is always good to replace the entire set as usually they tend to fail one after the other.
To be honest, I did consider changing all four but was discouraged to do so by the SA so I let it be. If another one conks soon, I'll ensure all four are new.

Quote:
First time in 88K? Not bad. This warning has been my close buddy for the better part of last 38000 kms. I've been able to start on first crank even in colder places where temperatures were in 5-12 celsius.
I did not want to take a chance and be left stranded somewhere, so got it changed today.
Eddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 00:08   #9325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did not want to take a chance and be left stranded somewhere, so got it changed today.
No man you won't. First time I got was in Porbandar in December middle of a Gujarat trip. 10 remaining days of the same trip, Ooty in Feb, many MH runs. All times started on first crank.

Its not like I didn't act upon, so far 10 plugs have been changed and recently the glow plug control module too (because the damndest thing threw a CEL middle of a drive).

Am now sick and tired of this glow plug replacement. Am just keeping a close watch on the starting behaviour, for battery replacement now that am closing in on 3rd year.

Several times bitten, not shy
narayans80 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 07:30   #9326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The halogen projectors on the Zeta were much better than the LED on Alpha.
I thought it was just halogen bulb & not projector isn't it? My thought process was, if it's standard 60/55, then it can simply be upgraded to 100/90 with ceramic holders, trusted & proven method, with a watch on battery ofcourse.

Quote:

Quote:
Several times bitten, not shy
Do you both have 1.3? Reason to ask is isolating this issue to 1.3?
Old 23rd October 2021, 09:48   #9327
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I thought it was just halogen bulb & not projector isn't it? My thought process was, if it's standard 60/55, then it can simply be upgraded to 100/90 with ceramic holders, trusted & proven method, with a watch on battery ofcourse.
He has the facelift version which came with projector across all variants (Alpha had LED). 100/90 bulbs on the projector is a risk due to higher heat damaging the projectors. Not widely tried and tested to be recommended. HID is the way go for projectors, although 3" HID fog lamps are the best investment everyone is making these days.

On a side note, based on my experience and others who have been using it for long now, 100/90 bulbs shouldn't adversely impact the battery.

Last edited by ashis89 : 23rd October 2021 at 09:49.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 10:06   #9328
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Not widely tried and tested to be recommended. HID is the way go for projectorr
The best bet I would say. Having successfully installed this for a friend's Ciaz and then a Brezza, the difference is huge and so much better.

For Brezza and Ciaz (both older generation), the HID kit was same as they shared the same bulbs. The HID kit from Osram cost around 6500-7000 which in my opinion is worth every penny spent for a clean upgrade from those useless halogen bulbs doing duty in those projectors.

Last edited by paragsachania : 23rd October 2021 at 10:12. Reason: Added reference links
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 10:52   #9329
BHPian

Quote:
I second this. As I have stated in an earlier post of mine (#9229 on this thread), I had to change one glow plug which I got changed at roughly the same cost as Eddy. On that day, the technician/ mechanic told the Nexa manager that all four should be changed. The manager vetoed him as I stood quietly by, not knowing who was right.

Two months later, another promptly failed. Went back and got the remaining three (including the failed one) changed. I wonder whether the Nexa dealers gain on labour cost from multiple visits. In fact, one SA on the second occasion asked me why only one had been changed and said that all four ought to be changed.

Also, isn't this Nexa feedback thing really annoying? The SA shamelessly persuades you to give an excellent rating, and then you get a bunch of calls from everybody. And then if you give anything short of an excellent rating, you get even more calls. (I bring this up because I got a call from my SA as I was typing this post asking why I had rated her "good" and not "excellent." She also asked me to rate her "excellent" if another call came.)
Old 23rd October 2021, 13:42   #9330
Senior - BHPian

Me (Vin Diesel style) everytime I visited FIAT ASC.

I change my glow plugs one at a time.

I actually kept on replacing one glow plug at a time in my Punto from 2010 till 2014. Now I have stopped replacing them since 2014. I am sure all four are kaput as of now.

Advocating the replacement of all 4 plugs is not easy for the SA as well since most of the ordinary people will accuse them of making money by replacing the three healthy glow plugs as well.

So I guess its easier for them to recommend the replacement of one glow plug (the failed one).
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks