Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2015, 11:32   #301
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Other than the price point based comparison, I don't think the space/size wise comparison will hold any good for the Ecosport. So, in my opinion someone considering S-Cross is better off comparing with Creta, Duster/Terrano (for an overall apple to apple comparison).

What am I missing ?
Primary thing is price. Looks like it is going to be priced closer to the Ecosport than the Creta (or somewhere in the middle). So if I am looking at the S Cross, I will look at the vehicles above and below this. And since none of them are real SUV's, I think all of them have a fair chance.

In addition there are a lot of similarities between the S Cross and Ecosport
  • From the review of S Cross: Unappealing styling. Looks like a big hatchback (not a crossover / SUV). Among the Ecosport/Duster/Terrano, I think the Ecosport due to its compact dimensions looks least like a proper SUV but looks better than the S Cross. If you remove the rear mounted spare, it also looks like a big hatchback.
  • S Cross and Ecosport has exactly the same width. The S Cross is longer, but does not look like it is much more spacious than the Ecosport (Have not personally experienced it).
  • Boot space is almost exactly the same
  • Both are pretty well loaded.
  • With the planned refresh expected later this year, the power is going to be bumped up and I assume the stiff ride will also be addressed. So drivability wise also they will be close.
Old 30th July 2015, 11:33   #302
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
Has anyone purchased a touch screen protector for their cars?
One reason why I would opt for screen protector for mobile phones is for preventing scratches from other objects like a key or pen while in pocket. A car touch screen would not have any of those risks in usual operating condition, hence never felt the requirement for the same.
Old 30th July 2015, 11:36   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
It may look ornamental but helps in such situations IMO.
Surely does in your example. I drive a sedan so never really paid attention to this. My car does have a tiny little glass after the rear passenger window but it can't be called a quarter glass and seems more ornamental than anything else.

Going by what the review suggests as a benefit of a rear quarter glass being useful when joining a main road, if you were coming out of a smaller street, I was unable to understand the benefit. For example, if you were dealing with a typical cross road, I would glance over the front passenger side window to be sure no traffic is coming my way before I join the main road. I am not going to look further back cause the front passenger side glass gives me a clear view of everything. However; the presence of a rear quarter glass maybe useful if the approach to join another road comes as a "V".
Old 30th July 2015, 11:53   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
One reason why I would opt for screen protector for mobile phones is for preventing scratches from other objects like a key or pen while in pocket. A car touch screen would not have any of those risks in usual operating condition, hence never felt the requirement for the same.
Shall post once I DIY one
sandygordon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 12:03   #305
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think a screen protector does make sense, albeit a good quality clear one.
The front glassy panel of the car stereo in my Dzire is a great example. Though I really don't remember a single incident when someone scratched it, there are several of those tiny swirls/scratches , so in my next car I would definitely look for something to protect this area from scratches.
Old 30th July 2015, 12:18   #306
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti understands the pulse of the average Indian customer. Knowing that, it probably won't price DDIS 200 above Ciaz.
To an average buyer(non tbhpian), scross is nothing but a big hatch. He will expect it to be priced like i20 active or cross polo if not lower.

Our image obsessed society prefers sedans over a big hatch or crossover. And I feel that Maruti may price entry level 1.6 scross well below top trim Ciaz 1.3s. Else they will see a sales chart that equates a tjet sales performance from Maruti stable!
PrasannaDhana is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 12:42   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
So except for the looks there doesn't seem to be any point mentioned as a plus for Creta against S-Cross. That doesn't seem like a lot but in the end it is the buyer's money and he puts it where he thinks he gets VFM.
I Most definitely agree with you Schumifan. Except the looks, Creta is more or less matched by S-Cross in most areas - be it features, power, space or safety. So, purely from a VFM perspective, the price is going to play the most decisive role. However one thing is not known - how much VALUE each buyer attributes to the "SUV Look". I have seen many people giving undue (in my opinion) value to the looks - that is their personal preference though. In fact manufacturers are taking undue advantage of this craze - Ford lists Ecosport as one of their SUVs along with Endeavor and Hyundai calls Creta the perfect SUV. This is feeding into the market's craze for looks and we have seen how successful Ecosport was. IMO looks along with NEXA exclusivity will turn our to be the biggest negatives for S-Cross. Hope, wish and pray the market becomes more mature.

Coming back to me, I definitely want my car to be good looking and inoffensive. But I dont really want the SUV look.

I for one will not go for Creta for 3 reasons.
1. I don't really care about SUV looks - so the additional value from looks is 0.
2. Lifeless Hyundai steering - Only reason why I did not book the i20 after the test drive.
3. Priced out of my budget - because I attribute 0 value for looks, the VFM factor is thrown out of the window for me.

Same 3 reasons might align me to S-Cross. I like the looks of S-Cross - I am not smitten by it but it is not an ugly car by any means. I like my Dzire's steering and hope S-Cross also gives the same feel. Hope the price is good enough for me to make if more VFM over i20 and Jazz.
Vigkey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 12:44   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Maruti understands the pulse of the average Indian customer. Knowing that, it probably won't price DDIS 200 above Ciaz.
To an average buyer(non tbhpian), scross is nothing but a big hatch. He will expect it to be priced like i20 active or cross polo if not lower.

Our image obsessed society prefers sedans over a big hatch or crossover. And I feel that Maruti may price entry level 1.6 scross well below top trim Ciaz 1.3s. Else they will see a sales chart that equates a tjet sales performance from Maruti stable!
Well given that SCross is over 4Meter long, gets same Engine(Plus more powerful Engine) as Ciaz and in addition gets more features. SUV/Crossover is know to be priced above sedan and hence I feel S Cross will cost more than Ciaz. Selling the flagship car(If Ciaz is to cost more than S Cross) in regular Maruti showroom and cheaper option(S- Cross) in Premium Nexa showroom, doenot make sense to me.
BTW S-Cross looks like an Estate version of SX4 not like the hatch version.
Old 30th July 2015, 12:45   #309
BANNED

Quote:
That society is changing slowly. Otherwise, i20 would not have such a run! And whoever considered i20 as a more acceptable option than a sub-4m sedan, will try SCross as a new option now.
Old 30th July 2015, 12:59   #310
Distinguished - BHPian

IMO Ciaz has proved(along with ertiga to an extent) that million rupee marutis find takers.

Imagine a premium showroom and scross launch without Ciaz in the picture. Ciaz has created faith among buyers that Maruti can give a quality product that doesn't compromise on looks, features, space or equipment. Clearly, Ciaz has been accepted by the C segment buyers, displacing Verna, Vento & rapid and becoming 2nd best seller in an otherwise very competitive segment is no mean feat!

Ciaz needs a wider reach, and may be NEXAs will include ciaz into its portfolio. Nexa would have not been in its formative stages while Ciaz was launched.

Agreed that people buy million rupee hatches. The problem being, scross resembling an overgrown hatch, customers will not mind shelling out elite i20 kind of money. But say 13lakh OTR and above, it would mean lower sales. If I am shopping around with that kind of a budget, the enthusiast part of me will definitely close in on Scross. But taking into account the opinion of the family members, it will be Creta petrol/ Duster 85/ a preworshipped D segment sedan.

I wish Scross sells well, but people who appreciate handling, driveability and fun are a minority.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 30th July 2015 at 13:12.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 13:24   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
Unfortunately SchumiFan, Creta manages to look better than S-Cross and more importantly it manages to look like an SUV.
Agree with you on this point. To the uninitiated, an SUV is what it looks like and not what it can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
To get a good ROI, Maruti might price it a premium of ~14 lakhs.
A Premium of 14 Lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
While the numbers of the S-cross 1.6L are quite impressive, the numbers of the Vw 1.5L TDI with 105PS (at the wheels) and Hyundai 1.6L CRDI (128PS) are pretty much on par.

Anything more than 11.6-11.8 or worse case 12L ex-showroom and Maruti will have a big problem with the 1.6L engine.
This is exactly what I felt too. The Fiat 1.6 engine is an awesome differentiator, and will be valued even if priced at a premium.

Quote:
So, in my opinion someone considering S-Cross is better off comparing with Creta, Duster/Terrano (for an overall apple to apple comparison).
I also don't think the Ecosport can be compared with these cars, but I think someone shopping for a premium hatch will consider all of these vehicles in the variants that fit into their budget range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Primary thing is price.
[*]With the planned refresh expected later this year, the power is going to be bumped up and I assume the stiff ride will also be addressed. So drivability wise also they will be close. [/list]
that Price is primary - now.

However the plastics of the Ecosport interiors didn't feel premium. The door panels flex and they feel scratchy and cheap (no offence to owners). Someone spending that much on a car would like the interiors to be better if such an option is available.

Quote:
Maruti has deliberately moved the SCross to the Nexa showrooms to avoid such a comparison. Since the Ciaz didn't make it there, I am pretty sure the SCross 1.3 will be priced higher than the Ciaz.
Old 30th July 2015, 13:32   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
A Premium of 14 Lakhs?
Oops I meant premium price of 14 lakhs
Vigkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 14:38   #313
BHPian

Booked the car today morning (Blue colour ) with a fee of 11,000 (seems like i booed a two wheeler with that price)

SA confirmed that the price bracket will be 8-12 Lakhs ex-showroom delhi, I went with the 1.6 Litre motor, heard its a beast.
Old 30th July 2015, 14:39   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I think a screen protector does make sense, albeit a good quality clear one.
The front glassy panel of the car stereo in my Dzire is a great example. Though I really don't remember a single incident when someone scratched it, there are several of those tiny swirls/scratches , so in my next car I would definitely look for something to protect this area from scratches.
It's not just an isolated incident that may cause a scratch. If you clean your car interiors frequently, the dirt from the cleaning cloth is good enough weapon to create a lot of scratches just like how it does on the car body.
Old 30th July 2015, 15:42   #315
BHPian

Popped in at the Bangalore NEXA outlet - underwhelming experience is all I can say. Couldn't see the difference in the RMs there or in a regular Maruti showroom.

I did get to hear the "premium-crossover" spiel though ..

Subtle hints on booking were encouraged - "No test drive, no price-list, No booking" stopped conversations there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks