Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2015, 21:31   #376
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
Bimal Nexa is now open in Bangalore. As members have already posted, the location is exactly opposite to the EMC2 office. They have 2 vehicles displayed currently - a blue and a brown one. Both cars were DDiS 200 Alpha variants. I visited the showroom around 7:45 pm last night and spent almost 45 minutes there. I was attended by RM Harry Samson, an enthusiastic guy and yes, the experience was pretty good overall. Even before I post my observations - I am thoroughly impressed by this vehicle!!!
Wow, that was a mini-review in itself! Thanks very much for taking the effort to post the detailed observations.
chncar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 21:42   #377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
There are so many incidents of Crossovers toppling. Are they inherently prone to toppling?
The latter half of this video illustrates the 'prone to toppling' capability of the Duster.

This is the Ecosport

Indian media is always unforgiving, hence the Ecosport toppling in their drive.

We already have S-cross and Creta crash images.

So we can safely assume that all 4 of them are equally secular when it comes to stability.
ramzsys is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 22:31   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post

Indian media is always unforgiving, hence the Ecosport toppling in their drive.

We already have S-cross and Creta crash images.

So we can safely assume that all 4 of them are equally secular when it comes to stability.
+1 and no one took chances with Scorpio or Storms and hence they never toppled.
sourabhzen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 23:26   #379
BHPian

I had a quick visit to the NEXA, was really impressed! Oh my, the experience from the usual maruti showroom to this is a huge bump and TBH I would not mind paying a little premium for the effort they are putting to change the buying experience. About the car we already have almost all possible facts out here the TD will be really important.

I was really keen to make the booking, but refrained as there was no push from the representative, which again was impressive. My mins is swaying more towards the S-cross than the creta. Just because I am an existing MS owner.

However, mahindra made a move. The TUV has already made my mind sway the other way now And given the long list of upcoming cars. I will certainly hold my horses.
MS - Your move make them quicker.
Old 1st August 2015, 00:33   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Not sure why you thought they felt cheap (what might you be comparing them to?) however I can vouch for the durability of these buttons.
I will be more than happy and relieved to know that the same rubbery buttons came in the Kizashi and they have lasted well

I was just comparing it with the matte plastic buttons that come in i20. I felt that the plastic might last longer than the rubber as it is one part that will come in contact every time the car is opened. Anyways, I am now convinced that the rubber will also last long from your comment. Thanks!!
Old 1st August 2015, 00:42   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
ACI quotes 10-13 L for DDIS 320 as ex-showroom price. That would take the OTR prices to 15L for the top end
That means just 80k less than the better appointed creta (read 6 airbags sans rear disc brake).

20-80 kmph in 3rd gear for DDIS 320 is given as 12.36 seconds as per ACI
20-80 kmph in 3rd gear for Ciaz is 11.4 seconds (Add a second for the DDIS 200) as per ACI sedan comparison test 826(April 15)

40-100 kmph in 4th gear for DDIS 320 is given as 19.6 seconds
40-100 kmph in 4th gear for Ciaz ZDI was 15.41 seconds (same comparison test)

Are all these trustworthy numbers
The above values would mean that the DDIS 200 would have better in gear timings than the 320 for routine runs !!!!!
However the 0-100 acceleration is 11.5s which would be a touch faster than the vento/rapid (is it?)
Doc, the DDiS 200 would be much cheaper as it is locally produced, lighter in weight, better equipped except Alpha and would suffer with lesser turbo lag, aiding to better in gear acceleration and better city driving. If the 320 Alpha is for 15L OTR, the 200 Alpha would be near 13L OTR which is really really good. It would have sufficient punch, we know very well how capable the Multijet 90 PS is, and moreover, you can get it remapped anyday. A remapped 200 S cross, rated at 115hp and 250 Nm might just beat a stock 320, purely my guess as the same engine in the Linea, after getting remapped beats the T-jet in performance.
3 weeks back, I got my new Fiesta and I am sure its best in this price range as far as handling and driving pleasure is considered, but I will go on and say that if the S cross had launched 1 month back, I would definitely consider it, not the Creta, not the Ecosport, Duster, Vento, Linea or the City.
I will get my Fiesta remapped sometime soon and would advise somebody like you to get the 200Nm engine, its more practical. The 320Nm one is good to TD once or twice but to own, its the 200Nm totally.
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 01:33   #382
BHPian

Oh Well as we dive into the last weekend before the launch, I cant help but recall the moment when Mr Srivastva announced the price of the perfect SUV!! As he said 13,60,516, my heart sank ( On a different note, why do we not have the prices in the round figures? Why add 516 in the end? They can very well say 13.61 Lacs).

Not that I was in the market to buy Creta, rather I was hoping aggressive pricing by Hyundai would be a sure factor for Maruti to price 1.6 Alpha well within 12 .
Old 1st August 2015, 01:54   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskaracs View Post
I was showing TBHP S-cross review to my wife last night and she barely took a second to comment it looked like an overgrown Alto. Then i quickly did some editing of images taken from our own T-bhp reviews for both vehicles. I am enclosing side and rear view comparison of these two vehicles. Please note that i have edited these pictures (E.g. changed aspect ratio for Alto in rear view) to arrive at an apples to apples comparison. It was needed because for instance, SC is much wider than Alto. Decide for yourself. Dont shoot the messenger!

Just for the record, a female friend I know distinguishes cars only by colors and if it has a boot or no. So calling Mercedes A Class an Alto is also a possibility with her.

Maybe your creative side can try and match the images of Merc A and Alto as well. Eager to see the end result.

Last edited by TaurusAl : 1st August 2015 at 02:01.
TaurusAl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 07:13   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
Just for the record, a female friend I know distinguishes cars only by colors and if it has a boot or no. So calling Mercedes A Class an Alto is also a possibility with her.
LOL
My wifey does not like the ecosport as it is a 'jeep'. Jeep as you know is for the police. She did not like the s cross as it looks like a small maruti. (In lines with the alto comment).

But she likes the Creta a bit more as it is not a jeep (no tyre on the back) and could be the status symbol vehicle like the duster, for next couple of years.
sandygordon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 08:50   #385
BHPian

After seeing the crash pictures of crossovers Duster, Creta and now SCross, I feel airbags are overrated. Tata Safari or Innova without airbags are safer.
Is it right?
Old 1st August 2015, 09:08   #386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
After seeing the crash pictures of crossovers Duster, Creta and now SCross, I feel airbags are overrated. Tata Safari or Innova without airbags are safer.
Is it right?
Sorry, but no, you are wrong!
It's like saying it's futile to wear a kevlar and a helmet when going to a battlefield if a land-mine can kill me anyway, so I am better of wearing shorts and T-shirt!

A lot of research has been done and everything proves that air-bags 'do' provide (additional) safety! (provided the car isn't built like a tin-can! obviously!)

An airbag being SRS "supplementary restraint system" as the name says, is 'supplementary'. If you do not wear the seat-belt and expect airbag to save you then even the Almighty will have a mighty good laugh!

Seat-belts + body-shell tensile strength + airabgs + (other things like ABS + EBD +ESP + TCS + TPS etc.) = safety!

We are just waking up to Airbags and ABS as of now where as in developed countries it is 'the standard'

A Tata Safari with airbags + ABS et al will always be safer than a bare-bones one (provided the occupants are belted up and there's no 'nut' behind the steering wheel!)

So airbags do make the car safer! Just that don't expect too much like they will save the occupants when a car falls off a cliff or goes under a truck or get hits by a train or a truck topples on it! The Roof of the car is always its weakest point!

Last edited by RavSam : 1st August 2015 at 09:11.
RavSam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 09:53   #387
BHPian

Mods: While you delete some posts because of tones, how do you allow such posts by someone doesn't having any basics of a crash event making statements like Airbags are overrated. It is a blasphemy.
Old 1st August 2015, 10:05   #388
BHPian

Quote:
Is it right?

You should seriously watch some crash tests on Youtube to believe what an airbag can do in case of a head-on collision.
Old 1st August 2015, 10:20   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Is it right?
The S-Cross pictured fell off a bridge. What else would you expect from such an accident?

I agree that Tata vehicles don't get enough credit for being structurally strong and safe, but that has nothing to do with the necessity of airbags. Airbags are a must on any vehicle, period.
Old 1st August 2015, 10:30   #390
BHPian

Cool down guys. I am just looking at pictures of toppled cars. Safari with Airbags is definitely safer than Safari without Airbags.
Now, look at the damage at A pillar of SCross. Or look at the picture of the duster which toppled on Mumbai - Pune expressway where rear passengers died because B,C pillars totally caved in. The Front passengers are serious despite the airbags.
I am just trying to think how Safari would fare here. Wouldn't the guy wearing just a seatbelt in Safari do better in these situations.

Safari without Airbags and these crossovers are the same price points. That was the reason for comparison. Which is the safer option at this price? That's what I am pondering on.

Last edited by atnyia : 1st August 2015 at 10:36.

Most Viewed