Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2016, 22:02   #6271
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
Thanks. From what I understand based on various reviews the Elanzos are not ideal...Given the potholes in Bombay - comfort and safety are my primary concerns.

..Honestly, I wouldn't care about the tyre and continue with the stock ones but we recently had a baby and would just want to ensure as much safety as possible.
Not sure why do you think Elanzos are not safe! If you don't plan to do scorching speeds, any tyres would be safe within legal speed limits. Honestly, I only prefer to change the tyres if

1. the stock tyre is under specced
2. a lot of highway travel in high speed

In case of S-Cross, the tyre is not under specced. But if you take 1.6, since it can reach crazy speeds, I'd suggest an upgrade (from a brand perspective and not the spec); not so for the tame 1.3 variant. Final call is yours though.

Now, coming to the comfort factor, you can straight away strike off Potenza from your list; that's a sporty tyre (hard compound) and will be noisy above 80 kmph. I am not sure Bridgestone has any comfort oriented tryes at all. You can try Yokohama Earth / DB series which are soft compound tyres. If you are interested, you can add MRF ZLO (no other models from MRF) to your list and it's good, comfy silent tyres which is also quite VFM.

I always suggest Michelin as the last option because those are pricey. Continental also has good reputation and I guess at a similar price point as Michelin.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 14th December 2016 at 22:04.
swiftnfurious is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2016, 22:05   #6272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sip View Post

With S-Cross and its capabilities coupled with charm of the place I can bet you got memorable trip. So I am tempted to request you to narrate/ rate the performance / behaviour of car during this trip.
Hey Sip, sorry for the late response, it was an indeed memorable trip.

S-cross did perform as per to my expectation. My cousin was comfortable doing 800+ kms in a day with just 2 breaks, this was the first long drive for him. High speed handling , ride quality at high speeds, brakes are just brilliant. Car felt stable on highways and there was no bouncing, it just rides flat. The car is fun to drive on twisty roads, really enjoyed the drive from Jaisalmer to Longewala which has a lot of curves and the road is superbly maintained by BRO (Border Roads Organisation). The stiffness is very evident at slow speed and bad roads, ride quality improves with increase in speed.

I just came back from 3200 kms trip to Mumbai. The car gave us a overall mileage of 19.2 kmpl. The Odometer is at 7600 kms in 1.5 months of ownership.
sinharishi is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th December 2016, 23:07   #6273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Not sure why do you think Elanzos are not safe! If you don't plan to do scorching speeds, any tyres would be safe within legal speed limits.
Thanks.

The reason I am circumspect with the stock tyres -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3990216

And pretty much this dedicated thread -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...g-quality.html

I also saw a few other posts where even owners of the 1.3 have switched tyres or regretted not doing the same.
invidious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2016, 23:42   #6274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Not sure why do you think Elanzos are not safe! If you don't plan to do scorching speeds, any tyres would be safe within legal speed limits.
The only reason why I went for a tire upgrade in my S-Cross was simply because the stock was a JK. Ive had VERY VERY bad experience with JKs in the recent past with our Dzire suffering as much as 4 tire bursts in a span of 2 months. Twice when I was driving and twice when my dad / BIL were driving. Thankfully there were no other damages because of the tire bursts.

The reason for the bursts might have been that the hard tires got too hard as car was under used (~30k kms in 7 years) - but it is a petrol and we did not intend to drive it too much.

The moment I realized that S-Cross comes with JKs - I decided to change it on day 1 - no matter what justification Maruti had to offer. And I did.
Vigkey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2016, 23:45   #6275
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
I decided to change it on day 1 - no matter what justification Maruti had to offer. And I did.
Any resistance from NEXA RM when you went for the tyre swap?

Generally they don't have any issues but not sure how the NEXA functions.
Old 14th December 2016, 23:48   #6276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Any resistance from NEXA RM when you went for the tyre swap?

Generally they don't have any issues but not sure how the NEXA functions.
No Anurag. No resistance. In fact, I got quotes from Nexa accessories guys and two other tire shops in Bangalore for the alloy and tire change. I went with the best offer which was Sai Iyengar tires. Nexa guys were supportive of the swap The fact that I went ahead with a different brand but with stock specs should have helped matters here.

In fact, I simply went to the showroom after the swap to show how the car looked and the Nexa guys were really appreciative of my choice and said Maruti should in fact have come with such alloys for the car.
Vigkey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2016, 23:54   #6277
Team-BHP Support

Could someone please share the stock sizes of wiper blades on the S-cross?
Old 15th December 2016, 00:06   #6278
BHPian

Quote:
The only reason why I went for a tire upgrade in my S-Cross was simply because the stock was a JK. Ive had VERY VERY bad experience with JKs in the recent past with our Dzire suffering as much as 4 tire bursts in a span of 2 months. Twice when I was driving and twice when my dad / BIL were driving. Thankfully there were no other damages because of the tire bursts.

The reason for the bursts might have been that the hard tires got too hard as car was under used (~30k kms in 7 years) - but it is a petrol and we did not intend to drive it too much.

The moment I realized that S-Cross comes with JKs - I decided to change it on day 1 - no matter what justification Maruti had to offer. And I did.
Thanks for that explanation - always reassuring to hear it from the horse's mouth. Before I decided on the 1.3, I read quite a few ownership reviews - the quality or rather lack thereof of the stock tyres did stick out like a sore thumb.

Could you please let the thread know which brand and model you finally went with? Thanks.
Old 15th December 2016, 00:12   #6279
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Could someone please share the stock sizes of wiper blades on the S-cross?
S-cross wiper blades size is same as SX4. It's 26 inch for driver side and 14 inch for passenger side. OEM wiper blades would cost around 1000 Rs. My car is just 6 months old and stock blades are already leaving behind trace of water drops
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2016, 00:47   #6280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
Could you please let the thread know which brand and model you finally went with? Thanks.
Thanks invidious

I have mentioned this multiple times, but do not mind repeating again

I went with Continental ContiMaxContact MC5 in stock size i.e. 205/60 R16. It is a good tire - good with grip but slightly more noisy than I expected from a soft compound tire.
Vigkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2016, 00:50   #6281
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
My car is just 6 months old and stock blades are already leaving behind trace of water drops
Get the conventional type wipers from Bosch rather than buying OEM.

OEM wipers of Swift cost 770 and hardly last a year with average usage. I bought Bosch conventional ones for 330 IIRC.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2016, 15:05   #6282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.O View Post
[b]Got my S-Cross 1.6 Alpha...credit card machine was not working, so they didn't give me any bill. I will post the bill tomorrow. Car feels more refined now.
Was it serviced at Jawan? Curious to know if they also handle SCross & Baleno in addition. If not at Jawan, please let us know where. Thanks
Old 15th December 2016, 16:13   #6283
BHPian

Quote:

Just to make things very clear, the tyres which got burst out were 7 year old ones?

As a safe practice, tyres should be replaced after 5 years even if the mileage derived out is less. For usage beyond 5 years, professional advice on the safety/reliability of the tyre is a must, what ever may be the brand.

Last edited by Sree73 : 15th December 2016 at 16:23.
Sree73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2016, 18:27   #6284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Just to make things very clear, the tyres which got burst out were 7 year old ones?

As a safe practice, tyres should be replaced after 5 years even if the mileage derived out is less. For usage beyond 5 years, professional advice on the safety/reliability of the tyre is a must, what ever may be the brand.

I know it is not advisable to use tires older than 5 years. But they giving up like they were programmed to - is unbelievable. You would not believe me - The tires gave up each time the car crossed 80 kms in a stretch and this the maximum speed in the stretch were always less than 80 kmph.

All 4 times, the tires gave up while we did the Trivandrum to Tenkasi or return trip and doing high speeds in this ghat stretch is not possible. The tires were not under inflated, ran on proper tar roads, no high speeds, no high ambient temperatures (always ~30 degree Celsius), no overloads. Age of the tire was the only factor on the wrong side for us and it burst off so consistently like balloons. It is simply based on my personal experience - but I will never trust a JK again.
Old 15th December 2016, 19:25   #6285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Was it serviced at Jawan? Curious to know if they also handle SCross & Baleno in addition. If not at Jawan, please let us know where. Thanks
We got it serviced from Popular Services Muvattupuzha (Kerala). According to our CRM from Popular, Jawan and Indus do NOT handle NEXA cars in Kerala.
Mr.O is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks