Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2017, 18:42   #6976
BANNED

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
The JK Elanzo after 27,000 KMs run. Do not see any signs of fatigue / wear.
They must be getting harder day after day.

Since I remember you are the same field of tyres, your expertise is much than me so I won't be saying much but I do suggest you to change them when possible at a early stage before cracks appear on the surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
I am planning to do repeated test drives. But must admit, the City makes a damn good first impression especially for the aam junta.

But wish the City was half as good as its predecessor be it terms of feel or quality wise, the current generation has lost that sheen IMHO.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 21:02   #6977
Senior - BHPian

Have an important question to ask, especially to all those who've changed their engine oil.

0W30 is the recommended oil grade is what I understand from the owner's manual. I'm a fan of fully synthetic engine oil for all the blessings it has done to my CPR. So, my questions are...
1. I'm not sure if 0W30 is fully synth, I'm assuming its semi synth, right?
2. Has anyone used fully synth Diesel engine oil on your S-Cross? If so, what's the recommended grade?
3. I assume it would void the warranty, if not, is there a fully synth MGP engine oil that can be used?

Thanks in advance
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 21:20   #6978
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
1. I'm not sure if 0W30 is fully synth, I'm assuming its semi synth, right?
2. Has anyone used fully synth Diesel engine oil on your S-Cross? If so, what's the recommended grade?
3. I assume it would void the warranty, if not, is there a fully synth MGP engine oil that can be used?
1. It's mineral oil

2. 0W30 fully synthetic oil is very hard to source and couldn't find anywhere.

3. Fully synthetic 5W30 oil which meets ACEA C2 criteria would be compatible. Its available in Mobil 1 ESP 5W30. Regarding warranty, it depends on your rapport with service centre guys. They can mention on the bill that customer has provided the same recommended engine oil.

I am planning to use this oil during next service.

http://www.amazon.in/Mobil-ESP-5W-30.../dp/B00SFNNTSE

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 20th March 2017 at 21:21.
Dr.Naren is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 21:34   #6979
Senior - BHPian

As usual, before reading your post, I never failed to give a Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
1. It's mineral oil
Constipated fellows in MSIL!!

Quote:
I am planning to use this oil during next service.
Looks good to me; I'm a big time fan of Shell; I'm wondering what might actually go wrong in using 10W40 fully synth because...
1. 10W40 is fully synthetic & its molecular structure should be smaller than the mineral 0W30
2. Also the viscosity of 10W40 higher than 0W30
3. Being 40 grade when hot, the oil has to be less thinner compared to 0W30 thereby offering better protection & lubrication to engine than 0W30
4. Last but not the least, being fully synthetic, the engine oil has to last much longer than mineral

What's your take on the above points Dr Naren?
Old 20th March 2017, 22:28   #6980
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
What's your take on the above points Dr Naren?
I agree with you. I too don't believe 0W30 mineral oil would be the best for Indian conditions. We can't help it as Manufacturers are focusing more on fuel economy. 1.6 S-Cross in Europe also uses 0W30 engine oil. But I think that's synthetic at least. But, Fiat uses 5W40 synthetic oil for 1.6 multijet engines.
Dr.Naren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 22:39   #6981
BHPian

Quote:
Wow. At this rate, 60000 KMs in an year. When do you come out of the car?
Haha! My usage will slow down, I expect the Odometer to be around 40000 kms at the end of one year of ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Some of the features are never used by many owners, for ex. Cruise Control, but, you'll be using all the features a modern car has to offer.
Mine is a 1.3 Delta which comes without cruise control. I don't miss the cruise control on my car, the only thing I miss from the Zeta/Alpha variants is the rear wash/wipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Excellent! Congrats! How has the car held up so far?
Wishing you many more miles ... err ... kilometres ahead. And hoping you can be the Irv Gordon of India
Thank you!

Car has been good so far, no rattles or squeaks till now.

Quote:
S-Cross owners,
How is the back-seat comfort? Any complaints?
My parents never complained when travelling in the back seat on 2,000+ kms trips. Take a long TD, if possible on a open stretch.

Got the 20,000 kms service done. The total bill came to 9,349/-

The final bill.
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_6234.jpg

Air Intake cleaning for carbon deposits. Was this required? The SA and the mechanic both insisted on getting this done. I did not find this in the manual.
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_6213.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_6218.jpg

All set to hit the road
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_6232.jpg
sinharishi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 22:53   #6982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
They must be getting harder day after day.

Since I remember you are the same field of tyres, your expertise is much than me so I won't be saying much but I do suggest you to change them when possible at a early stage before cracks appear on the surface.
Thanks Anurag for the concern raised.

I check the tyres routinely on a fortnightly basis if not weekly. Small cracks/chipping on the tread portion is common (Not a concern) in hard compound tyres. Cracks on side wall (if any) need much more attention and will warrant replacement. Will replace them at the due time/condition.
Old 20th March 2017, 22:53   #6983
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Air Intake cleaning for carbon deposits. Was this required? The SA and the mechanic both insisted on getting this done. I did not find this in the manual.
Not required for 20K kms definitely.

On what basis they suggested this job is a question as the manual doesn't state it in any form. Ask them why was it done and proof for the job to be done in a 20K run car?!
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 01:07   #6984
BHPian

Quote:
S-Cross owners,
How is the back-seat comfort? Any complaints?
I have NEVER traveled on the rear seat of S-Cross - So, I am not the best judge. However, my mother, sister and wife have traveled extensively in the rear seat and for very long distances and have had ZERO complains till date. All three have rated it better than our Dzire and my sister's Santro. So, going by their judgement, it is definitely not a bad place to be in for City / Long journeys.

Quote:
I went along with family for a test-drive of City and S-cross. The feedback from both wifey and kids was that the city backseat is sofa like but the s-cross is hard as a wooden bench. This was the 1.3 Zeta. Does the leather seats in Alpha make it better?
The perceived comfort of Honda City's rear seat is understandable - you sit low and hence get a good under-thigh support. Also, the rear leg room is awesome for its class. However, the soft seats might not be very comfortable for long distance. Ciaz will also have similar seating position with a very good leg room. I am not sure of the softness / hardness of the seat though.
Old 21st March 2017, 06:04   #6985
BHPian

Has anyone thought of fixing the spare wheel on the rear door of S-Cross? (A wild thought - may not be practical). It will give that muscular look for the car from the rear. Also, will release enough extra space in the boot.

Not sure, whether the rear door is designed to take the extra load of the wheel / practical difficulty with the dimensions.
Old 21st March 2017, 09:09   #6986
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone thought of fixing the spare wheel on the rear door of S-Cross? (A wild thought - may not be practical). It will give that muscular look for the car from the rear.
I like the rear looks of S-Cross and it's clean. Ford thought adding spare wheel on rear door would make the car look longer and "muscular" for Indian market and it did work .

Also it's not practical as the rear door is not designed to handle that extra weight.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 09:28   #6987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone thought of fixing the spare wheel on the rear door of S-Cross?
Quote:
I like the rear looks of S-Cross and it's clean
Same here; I like the clean rear looks + add to the woes when reversing, I'll have to keep in mind on that extra distance that spare wheel occupies. I would rather get the steel rims replaced with alloys & happily do a 5 wheel rotation during the service
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 13:18   #6988
BHPian

The fuel economy displayed on the MID and actual FE calculated on tankful to tankful method, differ by a margin of 8-10% on my 1.3 Zeta. The MID display always showing the higher values. (No tyre upgrade and hence no speedo error)

Would like to know the variance with others here. Both 1.3 / 1.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post

All set to hit the road
Is that the wheel caps or alloys? If it is wheel caps, still looks better than the initial set of alloys came along.

Last edited by Sree73 : 21st March 2017 at 13:26. Reason: Additional content
Old 21st March 2017, 13:48   #6989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone thought of fixing the spare wheel on the rear door of S-Cross?
The boot portion below the rear windshield is tad too short for it. Also the looks gel well on a taller vehicle (Storme, Ecosport). Such a job on an S-Cross will find a place in the weird and wacky thread

Current generation S-Cross wears a mature look. I like it. Will leave it at that. Even the front grill of the facelifted S-Cross in Italy looks a bit on the face compared to the current generation we have in India.
Old 21st March 2017, 14:55   #6990
BHPian

Quote:
Would like to know the variance with others here. Both 1.3 / 1.6.
I have a 1.3 alpha November 16 variant and as far as the mid reading goes, it's a bit of a bit or miss. Initially it had an error of about .7 kmpl. After that, a couple of times, the reading was exact and then it showed lesser reading than actual. On the whole the error is about ±0.7kmpl.
eddy481 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks