Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2020, 17:35   #9016
BHPian

Hi Guys, Now that we are about switch to BS6 starting april, i have a question. Can i use BS6 fuel in my 1.3DDIS S-cross as it is or do i need any additives for optimal running?

Last edited by djkher : 22nd March 2020 at 17:39.
Old 28th March 2020, 20:54   #9017
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

This is my first post in Team-BHP. Thank you mods for accepting my membership request. For the past few years I'm closely following this thread. In fact this thread helped our family buy our second car (Of course S-cross in 1.3 guise). We were mighty impressed with the car. But 1.6 was always at the back of my mind. Inspired from various preowned car purchases in the community and from one of my car enthusiast friend who owns 2 S-cross 1.6's, last august i became a proud owner of a used S-cross 1.6 . Will keep you guys updated and hopefully i will be starting an ownership thread.

Last edited by CrossLife : 28th March 2020 at 21:10.
CrossLife is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 11:03   #9018
BHPian

Sorry for back to back posts. But couldn't resist posting pictures of my two beauties.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_20190803_1812102.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_20190727_1431082.jpg  

CrossLife is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 01:18   #9019
BHPian

Congratulations on the buy, posting after eons on the forum , I have pickedup a used 1.3 S cross after ages of thinking over what to buy, the best so far from Maruti I am sure.

Started some mods(basic Scross mods which was required on a prefacelift car) as soon as I got it, was about to start the ICE Mods when the lockdown happened.
muneemmk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 04:53   #9020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkher View Post
Hi Guys, Now that we are about switch to BS6 starting april, i have a question. Can i use BS6 fuel in my 1.3DDIS S-cross as it is or do i need any additives for optimal running?
Yes you can use the BS6 diesel in your car without worries. BS6 diesel is just low on sulphur content for reducing toxic emissions. You may go for full synthetic 5w40 oil with Liqui Moly Ceratec friction reducer in your next service. It will help in enhancing your engine life, though it will increase your service expenses as synthetic engine oil is costlier than regular mineral oil. Ceratec will last for 50000 Kms so it's okay to add as it is economical in long run. Take your decision as per your convenience.
rahulgoel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 10:13   #9021
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulgoel View Post
Yes you can use the BS6 diesel in your car without worries. BS6 diesel is just low on sulphur content for reducing toxic emissions. You may go for full synthetic 5w40 oil with Liqui Moly Ceratec friction reducer in your next service. It will help in enhancing your engine life, though it will increase your service expenses as synthetic engine oil is costlier than regular mineral oil. Ceratec will last for 50000 Kms so it's okay to add as it is economical in long run. Take your decision as per your convenience.
A lot of people have been asking to use mineral oil in shorter oil change intervels, instead of Fully Synthetic at longer intervels, what's everyone's view on this, also my car has done 60,000 odd kilometres so far on mineral oil, would it be sensible for me to use Fully Synthetic after a drain and flush at this odo reading ?

Is ceratec recommend only for fully synthetic or can it be used in cars running mineral oil too ?

There used to be a gearbox additive too from Liquimoly, what was it's name ? Do we have any thread on that ?
muneemmk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 11:14   #9022
BHPian

After owing 1.3 for 3 years and 1.6 for close to 8 months here is my short comparison on both,

1. 1.6 feels far more powerful than 1.3 over the entire rev range. My 1.3 is remapped, still 1.6 feels faster overall, specially in gear acceleration is much better.

2. Gear shift is notchy in 1.3 and clutch is not so progressive. 1.6 gear shifts are super slick once the engine warms up. But clutch action is much heavier in 1.6.

3. 1.6 handles better and more fun on the corners.

4. 1.3 is more fuel efficient at city speeds (2-4kmpl more compared to 1.6). On the highways not much difference in fuel efficiency.

5. 1.3 basically runs out breath after 120 while 1.6 is still accelerating.
CrossLife is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 00:09   #9023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossLife View Post
After owing 1.3 for 3 years and 1.6 for close to 8 months here is my short comparison on both,

1. 1.6 feels far more powerful than 1.3 over the entire rev range. My 1.3 is remapped, still 1.6 feels faster overall, specially in gear acceleration is much better.

2. Gear shift is notchy in 1.3 and clutch is not so progressive. 1.6 gear shifts are super slick once the engine warms up. But clutch action is much heavier in 1.6.

3. 1.6 handles better and more fun on the corners.

4. 1.3 is more fuel efficient at city speeds (2-4kmpl more compared to 1.6). On the highways not much difference in fuel efficiency.

While I'm finding all the reasons to justify my purchase of a 1.3 when a good 1.6 was available,this felt like a kick in the nether regions

I am actually pretty happy with the car at the moment would be remapping it and doing a down pipe too pretty soon after the whole corona Fiasco

I'm finding the rear suspension to be a bit unsettling over big humps, is it cause I've read too much about the car already ?
Old 7th April 2020, 20:43   #9024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
A lot of people have been asking to use mineral oil in shorter oil change intervels, instead of Fully Synthetic at longer intervels, what's everyone's view on this, also my car has done 60,000 odd kilometres so far on mineral oil, would it be sensible for me to use Fully Synthetic after a drain and flush at this odo reading ?

Is ceratec recommend only for fully synthetic or can it be used in cars running mineral oil too ?

There used to be a gearbox additive too from Liquimoly, what was it's name ? Do we have any thread on that ?
As far as using mineral oil and changing it at shorter intervals is concerned, I'll say it's only a money saver practice. OEM do this to keep the service cost low and keep the customer happy. It doesn't harm the engine in any way also, if practised religiously as per OEM recommended intervals. But if you are an enthusiast and want to keep your car young for long then 100% synthetic oil is good to go with. The synthetic oil has changing interval recommendation at 15000 miles i.e. approx 24000 Kms. So by changing it at only 15000 Kms you are already doing it before the oil's expiry life. The synthetic oil helps to keep the engine cooler and reduces the engine wear and tear, as it is designed to do so. It's viscosity remains stable through out the temperatures and provide better lubrication to the engine. This helps in long engine life and better performance in difficult situations or conditions such as in extreme temperatures cold or hot both.

As far the Ceratec is concerned it doesn't matter that you use it with mineral or with synthetic oil. You just have to pour it in engine on fresh oil change. Ceratec is an engine lubricant that builds up a ceramic coating inside the engine cylinders filling up all the scratches and make an uniformity on the internal cylinder surface. This makes the pistons to move better as the friction gets reduced inside the cylinder combustion chamber. This leads to slightly reduced engine sound and smoother acceleration.

Gear box additive from Liqui Moly is MoS2. It also helps in smoothening the gear shifts, I've not used it though but will try for sure as it has very good positive reviews globally.
rahulgoel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 18:32   #9025
BHPian

Hi Everyone,
I am planning to change from OEM tyres to Yokohama Blue Earth AE50. How is the feedback from grip and stability perspective and is there any A/T tyre in stock size of 205/60/R16 ?

Considering the poor quality of headlights i am planning to install HID projector in fog lights, can someone please suggest a good combination and place in mumbai to get this done and will this void the extended warranty i have taken for 5 years ?
Old 15th April 2020, 10:55   #9026
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird_7 View Post
Hi Everyone,
I am planning to change from OEM tyres to Yokohama Blue Earth AE50. How is the feedback from grip and stability perspective and is there any A/T tyre in stock size of 205/60/R16 ?

I'm still on stock tyres, but heard good reviews on Yokohama Blue Earth from our S-cross WhatsApp group. They are much better than stock JK tyres.

Regarding aftermarket HID projector installation, it will surely void your electrical warranty at the least. And if your still planning to install the same, Blaze India fog projectors has got good reviews (again from our WhatsApp group).

Last edited by CrossLife : 15th April 2020 at 11:01.
CrossLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 11:15   #9027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossLife View Post

Agree on all the points!
I have the 2016 1.6 in the same brown shade and a 2018 new model 1.3.

Personally, I felt that the 1.6 has a huge turbo lag. Once it spools up, there's no stopping. However, in stop-go city traffic, the 1.3 is much smoother.
On the highway, the story is completely different.
Before the Covid crisis hit, I had to drive back from Kovalam to Bangalore in the 1.6.
Left Kovalam at 9.15 am and reached Bangalore Ecity at 7pm with stops at Nagercoil, Madurai & Salem.
Its a different story that it took me nearly 2 hours to cross Bangalore traffic.
aqualeo2040 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2020, 00:52   #9028
BHPian

Hi guys, this is my very first post on Team-BHP. Extremely happy be a part of this community. I would like to share my Scross story here. Pardon in case of any mistakes.

Scross caught my mind from the time I heard about it being launched in India. I was not much ok with its looks that time. But space and comfort made me feel like an upgrade from the 2011 Dec Swift ZDi I was driving back then. The experience with Swift was fantastic. It had done 123k kms in 5.3 years, was completely wallet-friendly. Still, I was worried about future maintenance and started thinking for a replacement.

Came 2017, the looks had grown well with me by that time. I took a couple of test drives and my heart was set at 1.6. But my running patten was 90% city and single lane roads which made against it. I was reading the Team-BHP official review again and again and the regular member’s positive feedback made me finalizing my 1.3 Zeta in 2017 March.

My experience with Scross was excellent so far. It is my daily drive and had done 71k kms in 3.1 years. Space and comfort were paramount and my family is loving it. The not-so-good low-speed ride was made better with the addition of Michelins. Lack of power is always felt but can be ignored in my running pattern. She returns 18kmpl and the maintenance is almost the same as my previous Swift.

The major issues I had faced was the fuel pump failure at 54k kms, which got replaced under warranty. Recently I found it hard to downshift specifically from 4th to 3rd. I explained this to SA on 70k service and checked if this is the syncro rings issue. He flatly refused and changed the gear shifter unit under warranty. This was done just before the lockdown, so I am yet to confirm if it was resolved. The extended warranty is about to expire by 80k kms, keeping fingers crossed.

I had swapped JK Elanzos with M Primacy 3ST at around 3k kms and was serving well till date. Now its time for the next set and I am confused between 205/60 Primacy 4ST and 215/60 Continental MC5. Kindly suggest the best option from a comfort point of view.

Posting a pic of mine
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-mine.jpg
northstar* is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 10:55   #9029
BHPian

Introduction:

This is a short review of my pre worshipped S cross 1.6

My garage consists of three cars

1. 2017 Hyundai Elite i20 1.4 CRDI Asta [O] - 80000 km - workhorse

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-64.jpg
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-65.jpg
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-66.jpg

2. 2017 Maruti Gypsy 4WD- 22000 km - weekend fun vehicle

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-61.jpg
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-62.jpg
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-63.jpg

3. 2010 Maruti Ritz pre VTVT 1.2 K series -107000- beater car

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-60.jpg
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-67.jpg

I love driving and I drive a lot.

If I am tired after a day's work - I go for a short drive and it rejuvenates me

If I am happy or excited about something- I go for long drives and it amplifies my happiness/excitement

If I am depressed or feeling low - A solo road trip will recharge my battery and make me feel better

Honestly speaking, I always look for options so that I can find a reason to drive. (for example recently there was an emergency meeting at Calicut which is roughly 250 kilometre from my hospital. CEO of our hospital asked many doctors to attend the meeting and everybody politely refused since it was on short notice. I jumped at the opportunity for the simple reason that I can drive 500 km in one day). There is a guy in every group/friendship circle who always takes the wheel while going out. Dear friends, I am that guy.

The hospital where I work is 65km away from home. So I drive to work 5 days a week [130 km/day]. For most of the people reading this, it seems like a crazy things to do and rightly so. But I am a crazy guy in that sense who cherishes every moment of my 130 km-3 hr/day commute. Since I live in a rural area, traffic is not very bad and I can average 35-40 Km/hr during this everyday commute to work and road are in good condition also

I bought my Elite i20 CRDi Asta [O] in March 2017. It has been my work horse for last 3 years. It is a nice practical car and I never had issues with the car. Apart from regular service at 10000 km interval, not a single penny has been spend on the car till date. Not even a single rattle after driving hard for 80000 kilometres. There was no reason to change the car but circumstances led me to look out for another car without selling my i20

My wife's daily commute to hospital is only 15-20 km and she has been using Ritz since 2016. Ritz is a reliable car but it has started to show its age. Being a base model car -LXi [ no ABS,airbags - heck no power windows also] it was lacking basic safety features and feel good factor. My wife love to drive our i20 because of its light steering, good interiors and long list of features compared to spartan Maruti Ritz. So rather than buying a new car for wifey, I was more than willing to give her my i20 so that I can buy another car to satisfy the “driving enthusiast” inside me. The hunt for new car started in November 2019

Requirements:

It must be a Pre-worshipped car- I don’t think it makes sense to buy a new car considering the price we pay and value we get. I can buy great cars at wonderful prices if go via pre owned route.Obviously I am influenced by GTO’s threads and I felt it is time to hunt for that elusive Pre worshipped car

1. Good driver’s car - I am spending close to 3 hours every day driving my car. So it must be good [if not great] to drive

2. Diesel : Since it is going to driven for at least 30-35000 km/year only diesel makes sense. I like the torquey diesels more than lame petrol available in sub 15 lakh segment

3. Reliability : I do not expect toyota like reliability but still it should not be a troublesome car

4. Manual transmission : I love driving manual transmission cars and feel that I have at least 10 years in front of me before I switch to automatic [even though I have a soft spot for DSG].

5. Space : Our family is big [Me, wife and 4 kids]. Since my kids are small [three of them below the age of 5], it is okay to accommodate them all in relatively big car for the time being. (I know I have to look out for used Kia Karnival 5 years down the line)

6. Age : Car should not be more than 5 year old and preferably below 50000 km on ODO

Budget :

Since our house renovation was going on at the same time, I do not want to spend too much money on buying a car. Also I do not believe in car loan/EMI as it is pointless to buy a depreciating asset on credit. I like spend what I have and my criteria for affordability in general is a simple rule " If I have 2x money to splurge on discretionary consumption, I will spend x amount and keep the rest for a rainy day"

Budget: 15 lakhs [Maximum]

Options considered

1. Volkswagen Jetta TDI highline: first choice

I have driven the car many times [ two of my colleagues own it] and loved it everytime !!! What a car- manual version is the best manual diesel car I have driven so far. Solid build, fantastic engine/gearbox combination and safety aspects- it was a no-brainer choice and I was hopeful that I could find one in good condition

2. Skoda Octavia TDI: second choice

Same points as that of Jetta except that somehow I always felt that Jetta is a better car

3. Maruti Suzuki S Cross 1.6 : third choice

To be honest I hate the design of S Cross. The simple reason I did not consider S Cross in 2017 while searching for a new car was its plain boring looks. But having experienced the 1.6 beast quite a few times - I was half heartedly willing to sacrifice in the looks department if everything else is okay

After searching for above mentioned cars for two months, these are the problems I encountered

1. 90% Jetta's I have seen were of 2012-2013 vintage and most of them have mileage north of 70-80000 kilometers. Since Jetta was a slow seller in 2015-2016 very few cars were up for sale [ In fact I came across only 2-3 2015 cars]. I was not ready to search beyond Kochi/trivandrum [ 100-150 km radius from my home/workplace] and that limited my options. I was prepared to pay 10-12 lakh for a 2016 Jetta but I could not find any good manual transmission car during my search [ most of the manuals were comfortline variant and in poor condition]

2. I have come across 2 Octavia's - both with dealers at Kochi. They quoted exorbitant prices and I walked away. Also both cars were not in great shape - rattles [ surprisingly in a german/czech car], suspension noise, A/C was not working in a car, fuel lid was not opening in another etc etc

Two wild card entries during search

A. An immaculately maintained [ to the best of my knowledge] volkswagen Passat highline DSG - 2015 model, genuine 79000 km, full service history, fancy number, knows the owner through a friend, white colour

asking price - 10 lakh only [ that too without any negotiation !!!]

I knew that these cars have poor resale but still such a huge depreciation hit after just 4-5 years is unimaginable
drove the car during that weekend and everything felt perfect. I wanted a manual car but still I was tempted to go for it

My colleague had a Passat which he sold off last month [He bought a Jeep Trailhawk recently ] and called him up for advice. He told me to stay away- Passat is high maintenance and will make a hole in pocket. Accepted his advice and walked away from what seemed liked a lucrative deal

B. Abarth Punto :

Always wanted one since I test drove one in 2016-17. I was offered an Abarth Punto (2017/black/45000) for 7 lakhs. Even Though I did not sleep for 2 days thinking about whether to go for it or not - finally decided that it was not for me at this time. Being petrol also did not make sense because of my heavy use

Crazy Idea: Mercedes Benz W124

Dream car [ W123/124]. Why not buy one by spending 3-5 lakh and keep it forever. Buy a diesel Polo GT with the rest of the money

In fact I saw and test drove two W124's, one was a total piece of crap - a 1997 250D. the second one was a great looking car 1994 model [import], golden colour, second owner, automatic transmission diesel [250D not 300D], cosmetically perfect. test drove the car - ABS not working [ABS light was always on], suspension needed overhauling, dreaded wiring harness problem was in the back of my mind
asking price: 5 lakhs [ not negotiable]

Wifey told - not this car. your time will come to own a W123/W124. Agreed and moved on

Last edited by Aditya : 17th April 2020 at 10:57.
DrANTO is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 10:55   #9030
BHPian

My diesel Horse comes to me

Got a call from a friend who is currently working at Maruti " Doc, check OLX listing for maruti S Cross 1.6. There is a new listing from Maruti true value today. Check it out and i will give you details"

A 2017 January registered S Cross 1.6 Alpha [full option]
only driven 30000 kilometre, one year extended warranty remaining, Owned by Manager of True value dealership [personal use car], Car is registered in company name

Asking price 8.65 lakh

Saw the car next day. Looks like a new car. Even leather seats felt like new, upgrades done by the previous owner work [on top of being Alpha variant]

A. rear spoiler
B. Upgraded projector head lamps- output is awesome now
C. Illuminated door sills
D. Carbon fibre like detailing on dash and door trims
E. Cool looking blue colour footwell lighting
F. Original Thule roof rack
F. blackened OVRM and rear Suzuki badge

test drove the car- it felt tight and brand new. Not even a small rattle from dashboard or boot [ surprisingly from a Maruti]

My heart and brain says "This is a true pre worshipped car". Checked service history through a contact at Maruti- regularly maintained at MASS . Front and rear brake pads changed at 30000. one insurance claim - minor dent correction. everything was perfect except the fact that tyres have only 20% life left.

I was confused for a couple of days - during the two months of search there was not a single car which came close to this car in terms of general condition. But I was still not sure about the aesthetics aspect - Do I really need to settle for this?

Wifey gave vital encouragement - " It doesn't look that bad". I convinced myself " I can make it less ugly by subtle mods"

Negotiation with true value folks started. Finally closed the deal at 8 lakhs

So I bought a car with an OTR price close to 15 lakhs in 2017 for 8 lakhs- decent amount of depreciation for 30000 km folks?

I know that most of the Bhpians are not comfortable sharing their purchase price on a public forum - but I just want to help someone who is reading this so that they can compare it with the deal they are getting

A note about experience at True value showroom :

pros:
Very professional
A blessing to folks like me who do not mind a higher price for the sake of peace of mind
Process of buying a used car is similar to buying a new car
all the paperwork in perfect order
Transparent dealings and they were not pushing to close the deal

cons:
slightly higher price [ justified according to me)

Now it is time for the pictures (all pictures in this thread are taken with my mobile phone - i do not have and do not know how to use a real camera)
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-1.jpeg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-2.jpeg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-3.jpeg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-4.jpeg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-6.jpeg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-7.jpeg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-8.jpeg  

Last edited by Aditya : 17th April 2020 at 10:58.
DrANTO is offline   (42) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks