Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2016, 11:55   #316
BHPian

Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

I have been looking for a test drive/review of BRV Petrol MT. But all reviews available on the internet (including Team BHP review) are either of diesel or of the CVT. My doubt is regarding the 1.5 i-vtec performance for a vehicle as heavy as BRV, especially the low end performance. The same engine is on the Honda City, but City is much lighter than the BRV, I guess. Will the BRV petrol be able to do stop/start on steep inclines in the mountains with a full load without burning the clutch?

What do the experts think?
Old 9th June 2016, 12:00   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The Creta Petrol AT has been on sale for more than 2 months in India. 2 members already got their cars. Here's an initial report:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post3974161

Your calculation of mileage is incorrect. The Camry has a 2.5L engine vs the Creta's 1.6L engine. IT's absolutely going to use up more fuel than a 1.6L engine regardless of weight.
Vid, smartcat is comparing Camry AT with Innova Crysta petrol AT (speculated though) and not with Creta AT
since BUXX had posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
I am really confused between the BR-V CVT, Creta Petrol AT & Crysta Petrol GX AT (expected around Diwali).

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 9th June 2016 at 12:02.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 12:53   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Innova being 300 kilos heavier will have a fuel consumption of 10 - 11 kmpl (ARAI). In city, you can expect a fuel economy of 6 kmpl. But yeah, Crysta will be a better car than BR-V in almost every other parameter. I guess resale value is not an issue since you intend to use it for a very long time.
Actually , I am only expecting an Avg (city+Highway) Mileage of 7.5kmpl in the Crysta. and hoping some of these extra costs (Fuel+higher EMIs) will be offset by the trouble free nature of the vehicle/TCO, Ownership experience & Toyota service.
Not to mention that there are some goodies that the Crysta has that none of the other options do:
  • Proper7/8 Seater v/s 6/7 in the BR-V
  • ISOFIX, tethers , 3-Point ELR seatbelts in all seats
  • Brake Assist + Knee Airbag
  • 3rd row AC
  • Better suspension; Toyota has a fancy name for it..
  • Larger vehicle
Quote:
Take Creta AT out of the equation since it is not a 7 seater.
But it looks SO good !

Quote:
Instead of Creta, bring Ertiga VXi AT into the equation. It's a bit basic and might seem like a downgrade - but it is quite a practical option.
Ertiga AT was & remains such a VFM vehicle - but SO elusive. Seems like Maruti does not wanna sell this.

It does whatever the BR-V does, at almost 2/3rd the price, but is just a tad dated.

However if I get this, I could buy another mini-SUV like the Ecosport/Brezza/Ignis/Juke etc in the coming future- I have to retire my 9.5 yr old Swift in a couple of years anyways.

Quote:
You could read the review on the first page of this thread once again & opt for BR-V CVT.
BR-V is a great modern practical package, no doubt.

There are just a few issues that I have & hopefully some of them will receive some clarifications with the ownership reviews:

1. It rides low, more sedan like than SUV/MPV- not sure how this translates on long journeys.
2. Ride in the 3rd Row over bad roads.
3. Effectiveness of the AC cooling in the 3rd row.

Thanks for all the inputs- just to add, i can wait till the next year to get the vehicle. Is there anything better in the horizon?

No Tata/Mahinder please.
BUXX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 12:55   #319
BHPian

In another news:

Quote:
"We want to run a campaign for the BR-V during the Euro 2016. It is a spot sponsorship deal. We are targeting the BR-V on sports, adventure, and travel platforms. It is performing better than expectation and we want to take this further. Cumulatively we have sold more than 10,000 units of the SUV," said a company source at Honda.
Source: http://www.afaqs.com/news/story/4818...hes-Euro-fever

They would rather be pleasantly surprised than being bitterly disappointed !
Old 9th June 2016, 13:03   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaji View Post
I have been looking for a test drive/review of BRV Petrol MT. But all reviews available on the internet (including Team BHP review) are either of diesel or of the CVT. My doubt is regarding the 1.5 i-vtec performance for a vehicle as heavy as BRV, especially the low end performance. The same engine is on the Honda City, but City is much lighter than the BRV, I guess. Will the BRV petrol be able to do stop/start on steep inclines in the mountains with a full load without burning the clutch?

What do the experts think?
Honda has been providing only petrol CVTs to the media hence the dearth of reviews for the manual petrol.

Slope climbing ability is more to do with gearing and low end torque than engine power. Case in point the Bolero DI which is a fantastic slope climber has only 62 hp for a very heavy vehicle.

The latest generation of 1.5 ivtech has much improved low end torque compared to the previous iterations. The BRV should be geared shorter than the city and should have no trouble climbing slopes.

But be aware that front wheel drive vehicles have disadvantage starting on steep inclines when loaded. Compared to rear wheel drive or four wheel drive. This is because the rear axle gets loaded and has more traction compared to the front axle. This is a general characteristic of front wheel drive vehicles and not specific to only BRV.
JediKnight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 13:26   #321
BHPian

Hey guys, am back after a week long vacation to kerala, was following this thread keenly via mobile, but was too lazy to contribute from that small screen!

Thanks for sharing the tonnnes of great info here, lots of budding car designers what with so many mod-images and comparos of cars across segments etc! :-)

Few thoughts and updates from my end:

1) A bit OT, but still, an important take-away from this kerala trip: we had booked an innova (not the crysta) and a driver for the entire duration, and while the car is awesome no doubt, but beware of this mod done by our guy: he had put some (very well made) seat cushion and backrests to convert a captain-seat 7-seater innova into a bench-seat 8-seater one...the middle contraption was quite painful, even my 6 yr old kid refused to sit on it, making the overall trip a bit of a pain!

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20160604_120345317.jpg

2) with the innova experience behind me, suffice to say that trips in BRV will most probably not go beyond few 100 kms / 3-4 hrs journeys with 5-6 adults, even after considering that getting into the 3rd row of the BRV is much much easier.

3) A few updates from my dealer, he said that he has got allotments of a few CVTs, and while most people had booked red color, the ones Honda has released are mostly white or grey ones, offered me to pick on of those, but my family is stuck on red, hence I passed the offer. He said next allotments will happen around 5th July, so the "wait for the hunt" continues!

4) I spent a good 1.25 hours today at the dealership, comparing the display S variant, TD V CVT variant and a VX delivery car, and could pick out quite a few of the things mentioned in the review, so thanks to the reviewers again! My dealer had done some mods / accessories to their cars, attaching snaps of those here!

Firstly, the cars, the one on the right is the CVT TD car, with black vinyl top added by dealer, apart from some black plastic additions to front and rear bumpers and the side doors.
Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20160608_104120215.jpg

Next up, a few findings from the interiors, probably already pointed out by others / in the review:
The seat width on BRV is limited as it starts from quite deep inside the door, almost like the ecosport as pointed out by someone before! (Notice the side-step accessory added by the dealer to the display vehicle!)
Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20160608_095007407.jpg

Another observation, with 2nd row taken back all the way, there is still about 9 inches gap to the 3rd row seat, HUGE wrt the Ertiga for sure, and even the XUV I think!
Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20160608_095431006.jpg

Finally, couple of pics of the touchscreen AVN added by the dealer to the display car, looks quite nicely integrated, has all the stuff needed, nav, reverse cam, dvd, usb, micro-sd, aux, BT with telephony etc (no telephone buttons on steering, but rest all buttons on steering - mode, vol and channel well integrated with the system).
Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20160608_100906462.jpg
Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20160608_100938592.jpg

Lastly, here is the new price list of the BRV after the TCS and the kissan cess etc, TCS adds a 1% to cost (refundable later), and kissan cess should have added a bit to insurance, but that has gotten cheaper by Rs 400 somehow, and extended warranty has doubled, from Rs 5100 earlier to Rs 9146 now!
Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20160608_163154864.jpg

Last edited by Eddy : 9th June 2016 at 17:44. Reason: No polls hosted externally please.
Hvt77 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 15:12   #322
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Actually , I am only expecting an Avg (city+Highway) Mileage of 7.5kmpl in the Crysta. and hoping some of these extra costs (Fuel+higher EMIs) will be offset by the trouble free nature of the vehicle/TCO, Ownership experience & Toyota service.
Total Cost of Ownership of Innova petrol AT could be 50% higher than BRV CVT. When in comes to calculating TCO, Innova has the following disadvantages over BRV -

1) Higher downpayment.
2) Higher loan interest payments
3) Higher depreciation in Rupee terms. Both Innova & BRV will probably have equal resale value after X yrs, but you lose more on Innova in Rupee terms since it will probably cost Rs. 19 Lacs (1 Lac lower than diesel AT Innova) as against Rs. 15 Lacs of BRV.
4) Approximately 50% higher fuel costs.
5) Loss of bank interest because of all the above higher payments over BRV. That is, money saved on BRV could go into bank FDs earning 8% per annum.

You can, of course, claim higher depreciation on Innova and save on tax. Plus, maintenance/service cost of Innova is likely to be equal or slightly lower than BRV. Don't count on it though - my cousin sold his petrol Innova because maintenance costs climbed rapidly over time. Last straw was a Rs. 45,000 bill for changing the wiring of his 2007 Innova petrol

Quote:

just to add, i can wait till the next year to get the vehicle. Is there anything better in the horizon? No Tata/Mahinder please.
Honda BR-V : Official Review-renaultgrandcaptur7seatersidewithaslightlydistinctivestyling1.jpg

http://auto.ndtv.com/news/renault-ca...y-2017-1232118
SmartCat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 15:27   #323
BHPian

I think this 7-seater Captur could be a long way .... First, they gotta launch Captur and then the modded one.
Old 9th June 2016, 17:27   #324
BHPian

After much deliberations and dillydallying with everything from TJet, City, Jazz, XUV, Innova, Safari Storme, Duster and Creta finally booked BR-V S Diesel.

It does nothing great or class leading but does everything well. Actually went to book Jazz iDtec but after family pressure ended up booking Br-V. Was in two minds between Petrol and Diesel but after test drive for around 20 kms in Bumper to Bumper traffic got a mileage of 9 Km for Petrol vs 17 of iDtec as per the Mid. Decided to cry once in case of any bans in Chennai for Diesel versus crying every time for Petrol in the fuel station

My Honda experience was pleasant with the dealer giving close to 120 kms of Test drives if I add the distance of Jazz CVT/Diesel, City CVT/Diesel and BR-V Petrol/Diesel over a span of two weeks .

Last edited by Aceman82 : 9th June 2016 at 17:37.
Aceman82 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 17:36   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
http://overdrive.in/news/honda-to-ge...-with-mobilio/

Mobilio will target commercial segment, while BRV will target the private buyers. Currently, Mobilio is not displayed in the showrooms even though it is still on sale, to prevent prospective customers from relating it to the BRV.
Thanks for this info, CrAzY dRiVeR.

Although I am not hopeful about this strategy of Honda as well. Have barely seen any Honda cars in commercial taxi segment (a few CR-Vs yes, to cater the premium Japanese customers travelling between Bawal & Gurgaon since Bawal/Manesar is a SEZ with lots of Japanese companies). They may be a hit in a niche segment like above mentioned, I hardly see them giving any fight to Tata/Maruti/Toyota in our regular Taxi market.
Old 9th June 2016, 20:51   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Although I am not hopeful about this strategy of Honda as well. Have barely seen any Honda cars in commercial taxi segment (a few CR-Vs yes, to cater the premium Japanese customers travelling between Bawal & Gurgaon since Bawal/Manesar is a SEZ with lots of Japanese companies). They may be a hit in a niche segment like above mentioned, I hardly see them giving any fight to Tata/Maruti/Toyota in our regular Taxi market.
Maybe not Tata/Maruti/Toyota, but have seen quite a few Amazes and Mobilios, not to mention Citys, being used as private taxis, in quite a few cities!

In fact, yesterday while at that honda dealership, I met a guy who had booked a city as a taxi and had come to claim some 4% refund! (he was complaining how the dealer is making him run multiple visits for that refund, wonder what that was about!)
Old 10th June 2016, 10:47   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman82 View Post
After much deliberations and dillydallying with everything from TJet, City, Jazz, XUV, Innova, Safari Storme, Duster and Creta finally booked BR-V S Diesel.
Congratulations! Look forward to more reports on how the car holds up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hvt77 View Post
3) A few updates from my dealer, he said that he has got allotments of a few CVTs, and while most people had booked red color, the ones Honda has released are mostly white or grey ones, offered me to pick on of those, but my family is stuck on red, hence I passed the offer. He said next allotments will happen around 5th July, so the "wait for the hunt" continues!
Which dealer is this? I haven't yet seen the CVT in flesh so might be worthwhile checkin it out there.

Quote:
I am really confused between the BR-V CVT, Creta Petrol AT & Crysta Petrol GX AT (expected around Diwali).

My running of 8-10000 kms/year is low, so Petrol is fine. With about half on the highway/weekend fun and the rest for daily commute of 20kms.
Need an occasional people mover for the highways.
I think we're all waiting to find out how the BR-V functions as a people mover on long highway rides. The Innova definitely rules the market, though the Lodgy and Aria are competent vehicles in their own right. You will probably be better off buying either of the BR-V or Creta for regular city drives and just hire an Innova for the long drives with the money saved.

Depending on how important looks and gizmos are to you, you could look at the Duster AMT as well.
aptiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2016, 11:42   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptiwa View Post
Which dealer is this? I haven't yet seen the CVT in flesh so might be worthwhile checkin it out there.
Hi aptiwa, this is Linkway Honda on Saki Vihar Road, Andheri East, close to Powai. They have a few branches elsewhere too.

I tried to PM you in the past via TBHP, but it seems you have disabled that, you can PM me, would be great to connect, and I can give you my SA's number too!
Old 10th June 2016, 13:17   #329
BHPian

Got Delivery of our car yesterday.
Sharing some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_8879.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_8821.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_8820.jpg  

bhpindian is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 10th June 2016, 13:26   #330
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpindian View Post
Got Delivery of our car yesterday.
Sharing some pictures.
Congrats! I guess that's the first car in the forum. White looks majestic from the front angle.

Looks like the VX variant. Petrol / diesel?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 10th June 2016 at 13:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks