Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Creta AT Petrol Vs BRV CVT Petrol numbers:

Honda BR-V : Official Review-creta.jpg

Overdrive is now directly comparing BRV CVT and Creta AT in this article:
http://overdrive.in/reviews/comparo-...eta-petrol-at/

Verdict:

Quote:
The problem comes with what customers are looking for in a car in this segment. They essentially want a car that is as easy to drive around town as it is to cruise on the highway, and they want this without compromising on the typical SUV feel. Unfortunately, the BR-V isn’t that car. The Hyundai Creta on the other hand ticks just the right boxes, feels more premium and fits perfectly into this segment.

However, the petrol Creta automatic is around 1.3 lakh more expensive on road than the BR-V, and that will be a significant stretch on your budget. If you can afford that and don’t need the extra seats, the Creta is still the best compact SUV in the market. The BR-V, although not the best in its segment, is still a very good alternative for those who are looking for a bigger and better MPV than the ones in the segment below.
SmartCat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 10:29   #437
BHPian

Two important points that strike me personally, from the comparo that you shared:

1. City & Highway cruising range on a tankful are pretty much the same in both.

2. Rear bench width of Creta is almost 3 inches more than the BRV- could be the difference between seating 2 adult+1 kid in the BRV v/s 3 adults (read ladies) in the Creta.

As for the pricing, I would say that they are both priced almost the same.
The Creta AT comes with many factory-fitted useful functional goodies over the BRV-
  • Touchscreen AVN with Navigation + Reverse park Sensor & Cam
  • Ionizer,
  • Child anchors,
  • 17" Alloys,
  • Cornering lamps,
  • Electric tailgate release,
  • Luggage lamp, Luggage Net,
  • Driver Side Up & Down module.
So really the only significant difference is the 6/7 seats v/s the 5 in Creta .
And the Reliability of the Honda CVT (pretty much the best in the market) over the TC based one in Creta (which manufacturer does that come from? Aisin)

Not the least, choosing a market dud over a market hottie ( no names taken !)
BUXX is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 12:16   #438
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
Rear bench width of Creta is almost 3 inches more than the BRV- could be the difference between seating 2 adult+1 kid in the BRV v/s 3 adults (read ladies) in the Creta.
You are right about the rear seat dimensions. But why does the Overdrive report say this?

In terms of space, the BR-V comes out on top. The seats are far more accommodating, and the second row can comfortably seat three passengers. In the Creta, however, three people in the rear seat would be a bit too crammed.

Some more points on BR-V Petrol CVT Vs Creta Petrol AT debate:

1) From the Overdrive's numbers, Creta petrol AT has 25% lower fuel economy than BR-V petrol CVT in city traffic. Now, I get around 9 kmpl in normal weekday Bangalore traffic. Under such conditions, Creta petrol AT would probably give 6.7 kmpl. To put the efficiency of CVT in perspective, my 750 kilo A-Star with its 4-speed torque convertor AT gives just 8.5 kmpl in heavy Bangalore traffic. Depending on your City:Highway driving mix, you will be paying 25 to 40% more on fuel bills when you pick Creta petrol AT.

2) Because Creta is a market hit, its very likely that it will have a lower depreciation than BR-V CVT. You get more in your pocket when its time to sell if you pick Creta petrol AT.

3) BR-V CVT seems to have better "mechanical engineering" characteristics (steering, acceleration, braking, transmission, fuel economy, handling). Creta petrol AT does better when it comes to "non-mechanical engineering" aspects (features, attention to detail in interiors, public image etc).

4) 690 litres boot space + highway fuel economy makes the BR-V CVT a better touring car. 4.27 metres length + shorter turning radius makes Creta petrol AT a better city car.

Some pics I took over the last few days - One serious advantage of a white car is that it doesn't look dirty after a drive in the rain!

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160629_163535_1_p.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160629_163554_1_p.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160628_185516.jpg
SmartCat is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 13:23   #439
sun
BHPian

@ smartcat,

I would like to know the details of the front bumber guard that you have fixed. Where is it anchored to ? Directly to the bumber or to the chassis ?

Is it full plastic or does it have a metal bolstering inside ?

My reason for asking is to find out if it is sufficiently strong to fix two auxilliary driving lights with out vibration.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160628_164525_p.jpg  

Old 8th July 2016, 16:13   #440
BHPian

Thanks Smartcat for these pics- BRV looks stunning in white!!

In fact, earlier you inadvertently pointed me to a quirk - that the Front Chrome lip is subdued in the Silver color ! I changed my color preference to White then (I just love that design element in the BRV) !

The only fly in the ointment for BRV is the CVT short ride that I took - that rubber band was too much to handle.

There are just too many situations on our roads where you need to make a quick getaway- and instinctively you would stomp down on the A-pedal in those times.
Net effect in BRV when you do that : all noise, no gain !

You mentioned that this eliminated in the S mode- but then the FE will take a huge hit. And I am not sure its healthy for the engine to drive in S mode all the times?

Does a gentle foot in S mode result in it upshifting earlier than 4K+ RPMs?

Also, the ridiculously low seating position is pretty funny. I saw a BRV going from the opp direction and it looked as if the guy was sitting lower than even hatchbacks.
BUXX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 20:33   #441
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun View Post
@ smartcat, I would like to know the details of the front bumber guard that you have fixed. Where is it anchored to ? Directly to the bumber or to the chassis ? Is it full plastic or does it have a metal bolstering inside ? My reason for asking is to find out if it is sufficiently strong to fix two auxilliary driving lights with out vibration.
It's a full plastic ornamental accessory fitted to the front bumper with some sort of adhesive. There is no "space" between bumper and the bull bar - so there is no way you can mount anything on it.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160708_182904_p.jpg

Quote:
The only fly in the ointment for BRV is the CVT short ride that I took - that rubber band was too much to handle. There are just too many situations on our roads where you need to make a quick getaway- and instinctively you would stomp down on the A-pedal in those times. Net effect in BRV when you do that : all noise, no gain !
Pretty much all automatics have drawbacks. You have experienced "rubber-band effect" with CVTs -

1) Step on accelerator suddenly
2) Engine RPM rises to 2500 and stays there for 0.5 to 1 second (in D mode)
3) Car picks up speed.

but you probably haven't experienced "shift delays" in torque convertor ATs.

1) Step on accelerator suddenly
2) Nothing happens for 0.5 to 1 sec
3) Sudden jerk (downshifting)
4) Engine RPM rises along with car speed.

Net results are the same, just that you don't have the sudden jerk in a CVT. If you read the DSG review of Octavia 1.8 petrol, you will see that DSG + petrol has certain driveability issues too - especially while downshifting. If you want manual like sudden getaways, you need to use paddleshifts manually (or manual mode in torque convertor or DSG).

There issues are not there in diesel automatics because of large torque at low engine RPM. These are petrol automatic specific issues.

Quote:
You mentioned that this eliminated in the S mode- but then the FE will take a huge hit. And I am not sure its healthy for the engine to drive in S mode all the times? Does a gentle foot in S mode result in it upshifting earlier than 4K+ RPMs?
In S mode, engine spins roughly zero to 1000 RPM higher than in D mode. Slightly hurried acceleration results in upshifting at 3500 RPM (instead of 2500 RPM in D mode). So obviously fuel economy will take a hit. By the way, "ring road" fuel economy in D mode is probably around 10 to 10.5 kmpl (because MID is showing 9.8 kmpl with approximately 80% of 113 km on Ring Road). I will use S mode from now on and see how much it effects the fuel economy! Engine braking is better in S mode too.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160708_182612_p.jpg

Quote:
Also, the ridiculously low seating position is pretty funny. I saw a BRV going from the opp direction and it looked as if the guy was sitting lower than even hatchbacks.
For Ex-Honda Civic owners like me, BR-V's seating position is akin to that of a king's throne BR-V has atleast 10 different seat height settings. Go back to the dealer and check out the seating position at the highest setting.

Last edited by SmartCat : 8th July 2016 at 20:46.
SmartCat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 20:46   #442
sun
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
It's a full plastic ornamental accessory fitted to the front bumper with some sort of adhesive. There is no "space" between bumper and the bull bar - so there is no way you can mount anything on it.

Attachment 1525888
Thanks smartcat for the reply, so basically the front bumber is of no use for my application.
Old 18th July 2016, 16:47   #443
Distinguished - BHPian

No offense to prospective owners, I happened to see BRV in flesh today. I dont see any USP for the BRV over mobilio except for the interiors. It does not look like an SUV at all.

PS: That is my oldschool SUV in the picture
Attached Thumbnails
Honda BR-V : Official Review-wp_20160718_16_43_40_pro.jpg  

PrasannaDhana is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 19:40   #444
BANNED

+1000 Prasanna, with no offense to any perspective buyers, BRV has the ugliest rear that I have seen for some time now. Mobilio's rear is a thousand times better, an SUV, the BRV, the silliest joke that Honda would have cracked since being in the auto industry.
Torquedo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 09:08   #445
Team-BHP Support

Finally, the BR-V wins a shootout

BRV CVT petrol Vs Creta AT petrol - video review from Autocar India.
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/53247633.cms

There is also a Creta diesel Vs BR-V diesel Vs Nuvosport diesel test from India Today.
http://indiatoday.intoday.in/auto/st.../1/714051.html

Honda BR-V : Official Review-pointstally_071316065956.jpg

The interesting bits -

1) BR-V diesel is quite noisy when compared to Creta diesel and even Nuvosport - check the decibels recorded at different speeds.
2) BR-V diesel has a massive fuel economy advantage when compared to Creta & Nuvosport in real world city and highway conditions.
3) Creta & Nuvosport diesel's CO2 emissions are 50 to 80% higher than BR-V diesel's.
4) On the flipside, BR-V diesel loses out to competition when it comes to acceleration and top speed.
5) Is there something wrong with Creta's brakes? BR-V diesel stops 4 metres before Creta diesel, but Creta loses out to Nuvosport too.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-winner_071316065956.jpg

Last edited by SmartCat : 19th July 2016 at 09:22.
SmartCat is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 10:52   #446
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Overdrive is now directly comparing BRV CVT and Creta AT in this article:
The video review is out from Overdrive for the automatic variant comparison of Creta and BRV-

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 11:03   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
+1000 Prasanna, with no offense to any perspective buyers, BRV has the ugliest rear that I have seen for some time now. Mobilio's rear is a thousand times better, an SUV, the BRV, the silliest joke that Honda would have cracked since being in the auto industry.
None taken from an existing owner . I think it looks pretty good, and its subjective. On a side note, connected tail-lamps is the new in-thing. Several models launching in 2017 will have them or are having them. I think it makes the car look broad, which is an issue with the BR-V

BR-V becomes "silliest joke" based on your personal disliking of the back is really interesting.

So rest of the car i.e. its engine, transmission, front design, space, handling, GC, fuel economy, braking, airy-cabin, emission levels, safety etc. are so insignificant that they don't really matter or cannot stand in front of the "silliest joke rear design".

PS: The connected tail-lamps are a head turner, I and several owners on this forum have personally experienced that. Its new, its fresh and its being introduced in many models. Personally I would have liked the connection to be LED lit up.
-xplora- is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 18:15   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Oh come on!!! you are just taking it too far.

Don't look at BRV as an SUV, its an MPV made to look like an SUV. Its a practical choice and you don't have proper alternative to carry 7 people. Ertiga on the lower price band is compact with boot space compromised, the Innova has moved on to D segment and while the Lodgy is on sale, it doesn't have the brand pull like a Honda.

IMO, it would have looked like an SUV had they designed it as a 5 seater. But it does have good presence on road.

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 19th July 2016 at 18:30.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 10:19   #449
BHPian

@-xpolra- , smartcat: Have you guys managed to do any bit of rough-roading , dare I say off-roading , with a few passengers on board your rides? Has the BR-V ever bottomed out? Would be very interested to hear how is the ride been in such roads.. wobbly or still flat?
Old 20th July 2016, 10:51   #450
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@-xpolra- , smartcat: Have you guys managed to do any bit of rough-roading , dare I say off-roading , with a few passengers on board your rides? Has the BR-V ever bottomed out? Would be very interested to hear how is the ride been in such roads.. wobbly or still flat?
The ride and handling balance is tilted towards "handling" - so there is no chance of suspension bottoming out or front-end diving under braking or body roll in the twisties. However, (slightly) stiff ride quality at low speeds is the price you pay for the above. Low speed ride quality is not as good as Duster. The 2nd row passengers are shaken (not stirred) a bit too at low speeds on bad roads.

I have not scraped the bottom yet, but then, I'm still in "Honda Civic" driving mode (crawl speeds basically) on bad roads.

Also note that the petrol variant does not have an engine guard. Plan to fit the engine guard from the diesel variant soon.

Last edited by SmartCat : 20th July 2016 at 11:05.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks