Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2016, 15:48   #451
BHPian

Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
@-xpolra- , smartcat: Have you guys managed to do any bit of rough-roading , dare I say off-roading , with a few passengers on board your rides? Has the BR-V ever bottomed out? Would be very interested to hear how is the ride been in such roads.. wobbly or still flat?
Took the BR-V to my farm house the other day. With four onboard.

Cant say off-roading, but yes quite a bit of "water-logged pot-holed rough roads" on the way. It was a breeze, not a single scrape and like smartcat, I come from Linea so the difference for me was huge in terms of its ability to negotiate rough roads without scraping.

Wish I had taken the picture of the exterior after I came back, the dirt marks were above glass lining of the car. Ride is on the stiffer side, but that is good. Makes handling almost as good as the Linea. Reducing the tyre pressure to 30 instead of 32 makes quite a bit of difference in the ride quality.

Another thing I have experienced is that BR-V really does not feel like driving a long / big car, it is quite nimble and easy to drive in bumper to bumper traffic, albeit the CVT helping a lot. The power from the iVtec is more than sufficient in D drive, did not feel the need go into the S mode.

Had an alignment issue in the car though, which the dealer's service station promptly corrected, and weirdly the tyre pressure in front tyres were 50 and 40 psi ! So much for their internal PDI
-xplora- is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 17:40   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by -xplora- View Post
Had an alignment issue in the car though, which the dealer's service station promptly corrected, and weirdly the tyre pressure in front tyres were 50 and 40 psi ! So much for their internal PDI
Dear xplora,
Just for your information, as far as I know, ALL dealers keep the tyre pressure high! 40~50 psi is normal. As soon as you take possession of the car, you should set it right.
There are n-number of reviews here which state this. I had a first hand experience too!
The regular air filling guy was shocked when I told him to correct AND told him that I expected it to be so high!

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2016, 19:39   #453
BHPian

Not sure if it was posted in this thread, but from reading the BR-V service manual it looks like after 1st year or 10K kms, Honda now recommends 1 year or 10K service interval for the BR-V(from the earlier 10K or six months service). Extended warranty is now at 5 years or 1 lakh kms.

Hence the long standing demand of Honda owners of having a longer service interval is now satisfied with the BR-V.
Aceman82 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2016, 12:15   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman82 View Post
Extended warranty is now at 5 years or 1 lakh kms.
Not sure I understood the above. 3 years is the standard warranty. If we take extended warranty, then it will be till year 5?
Yearly service is good news indeed.
Old 23rd July 2016, 22:28   #455
Team-BHP Support

@ Manchanbele Lake

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160723_174400_1_p.jpg

No underbody scraping on rough roads:

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160723_164824_p.jpg

BR-V with its arch-rival (apparently):

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160723_180113_1_p.jpg

Duster backed out of the trip at the last moment. D-BHPian CrazyDriver putting the BR-V through its paces. He will be coming out with a Honda BR-V CVT Vs Hyundai Creta 1.6 Base Diesel shootout report soon.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160723_164213_p.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160723_164237_1_p.jpg

Hyundai Creta 1.6 Base diesel costs Rs. 15.7 Lacs on road Bangalore. My BR-V CVT petrol, with accessories, cost me exactly Rs. 15.7 Lacs! CrazyDriver is coming out with a shootout report (instead of me) because we needed a neutral reviewer.

Also, if I say anything negative about my friend's Creta, he might unfriend me on Facebook

Last edited by SmartCat : 23rd July 2016 at 22:34.
SmartCat is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 10:35   #456
BHPian

Mucho thanks for this Shootout- I am vacillating in the decision between the BR-V & the Creta atleast 3 times a day !! Should go a lot in helping people like me.

"you know what BR-V is very practical & flexible, we will need that"
"screw it, I am getting an SUV, Creta dekhne chale?"

I would especially like to know about the second row space comparison- which one could seat 3 adults comfortably.
Old 26th July 2016, 12:12   #457
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
I would especially like to know about the second row space comparison- which one could seat 3 adults comfortably.
Since you are using the word "comfortably", the answer is neither.

I myself (60 kg) was sitting in the middle between my two friends (70 kg and 90 kg). The photos are in CrazyDriver's camera.

In the BRV, I could barely breathe . In the Creta, I was quite uncomfortable.
So yeah, relatively speaking, Creta is more comfortable than BRV for three persons.

Three "smartcats" will be comfortable in both the cars though!
SmartCat is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 15:04   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Not sure I understood the above. 3 years is the standard warranty. If we take extended warranty, then it will be till year 5?
Yearly service is good news indeed.
Yes with extended warranty, the total warranty period is now 5 years (3 + 2) which would be same duration of warranty which Fiat had offered for my MJD.
Old 30th July 2016, 15:26   #459
Team-BHP Support

Updates again:

1) It's been confirmed that Honda BR-V petrol variants have no speed limiter. No, I didn't have the nerve to check it out myself - but Autocar guys did. They clocked a top speed of 164 kmph for the petrol variants.

2) I have mentioned a couple of times that low speed ride quality of BR-V is a bit stiff. Apparently, something was wrong with my suspension settings, and it was fixed in the first FREE service. Although I didn't complain about the ride quality to the service advisor, they adjusted the suspension components (as a part of first free service maintenance schedule, as mentioned in the manual). And now, my Honda BR-V has "good" low speed ride quality - as good as any Honda sedan. Low speed ride quality is no longer a negative.

3) Honda BR-V comes with a "programmable" central locking system. Now, by default, BR-V auto-locks at 15 kmph. But we can program the system in such a way that as soon as move the lever to D, the system locks all doors. But what I have done is programmed the system to automatically UNLOCK all doors as soon as I move the gear lever from D to P.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160730_095250_1_p.jpg

This is useful because I don't have to manually unlock all doors after I stop. Also, if a passenger is not used to unlocking system of a car, I've noticed that they start fiddling with the locks and pulling the lever. No such issues thanks to "auto unlock". MT BR-V owners can program the system to lock/unlock automatically too. The details are mentioned in the BR-V manual booklet.

4) Thanks to the untrimmed shrubs and plants, I don't get too close to the them at my place while parking.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160729_144755_p.jpg

And there is not much room on the other side either. So many times, we have banged the doors against the compound wall.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160729_141501_1_p.jpg

So got the "Door Edge Garnish" (official accessory Rs. 650 for all 4 doors) installed. Looks cooler than the stuff you get online or at accessory stores - because of black colour, Honda logo and chrome surroundings.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160730_143801_1_p.jpg

Last edited by SmartCat : 30th July 2016 at 15:28.
SmartCat is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2016, 10:18   #460
BHPian

3300+ delivered in July.
Another month to go before the pre-bookings finish off and we will then come to know the real numbers !
BUXX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 10:33   #461
BHPian

Was finally able to take a long 20Km+ TD of the Creta Petrol AT . Absolutely smitten !

Its really the perfect modern replacement for the Duster though its one size lower than it in all departments- Front seats, 2nd Row, Boot space, Ride quality.. Just goes on to show how well engineered the Duster is- its just begging for a good Petrol motor and a decent AT option.

Creta AT offers seamless shifts, only rarely gets confused at low speeds in the 1-2 gears and also responds fairly quickly to throttle. Suits my style of leisurely driving perfectly. Compared to the short comparo of the BR-V ride, its way better. I may need a better TD of the BRV CVT to firmly make up my mind.

Does anyone know what could be the actual impact of the GST on cars? By the looks of it, once could save upto a Lac on a 15L Car like the Creta AT. is it worth the wait till Apr'17 to buy a new one?
BUXX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2016, 13:51   #462
BANNED

Got my first service done after 1070 Kms and one month.
Overall fuel average is 11.70 and its monsoon in Delhi NCR. long jams and bit of open roads and all together a typical city driving with light foot.
BRV is actually is proper crossover between car and SUV, I find it very easy to drive with minimum of roll overs.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20160804_141935.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20160617_194356.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20160804_115828.jpg  

jacksons is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th August 2016, 22:22   #463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Although I didn't complain about the ride quality to the service advisor, they adjusted the suspension components (as a part of first free service maintenance schedule, as mentioned in the manual). And now, my Honda BR-V has "good" low speed ride quality - as good as any Honda sedan. Low speed ride quality is no longer a negative.
I wonder how it is possible to alter the ride quality of a suspension without changing the components. What settings does it have which can be adjusted? Other then changing the tire pressure perhaps?

Last edited by Guna : 6th August 2016 at 22:23.
Old 7th August 2016, 00:14   #464
Team-BHP Support

Interesting bits reading up car magazines:

1) From Autocar's road test, it looks like BR-V Diesel's performance is NOT BAD at all! From 0 to 60 kmph, the diesel variant stays ahead of the CVT petrol variant. Forget that, 0 to 30 kmph timing of BR-V Diesel is QUICKER than even manual petrol. It's only the 60 to 100 kmph where the diesel falls back - possibly because of the gear ratios which have been set in the interests of fuel economy. Plonking one of those diesel tuning boxes might help shave off 2 to 3 seconds off the diesel's 0 - 100 kmph timings.

2) On page 30 of this thread, OVERDRIVE's video review of BRV CVT Vs CRETA AT had declared that Creta AT was a better buy. However, it looks like they have shifted their allegiance to Honda BR-V CVT now. Because, in the print edition (Aug 2016 edition), they have clearly marked Honda BR-V CVT as a "Winner" and have given it a 4.5 Star Rating.

I guess Hyundai forgot to renew their advertising contract with Overdrive folks!

Quote:
Does anyone know what could be the actual impact of the GST on cars? By the looks of it, once could save upto a Lac on a 15L Car like the Creta AT. is it worth the wait till Apr'17 to buy a new one?
If you like Creta AT, go for it immediately. Hyundai has just increased the prices of Creta by 15k or 20K. Basically, in the last 12 months, the on-road prices of most Creta variants have gone up by Rs. 1 Lac. The probability of car manufacturers passing on the benefits (if any) of lower taxes to customers is remote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I wonder how it is possible to alter the ride quality of a suspension without changing the components. What settings does it have which can be adjusted? Other then changing the tire pressure perhaps?
1) The service manual says "Visually inspect tie rod ends, steering gearbox, suspension components and drive shaft boots". I guess they found something wrong when they visually inspected my suspension setup.

2) I vaguely recall the service advisor saying "torqueing the ______" when it comes to suspension. Not sure what that means though.

3) It could be a simple wheel alignment issue too. If wheel alignment is wrong, it can affect ride quality. However, this is unlikely - because at higher speeds, the ride quality of my BRV was excellent.

4) I've read many reviews of Honda BR-V, and roughly 25% of the them mention that low speed ride quality of BR-V is stiff. However, majority of reviews (including Team-BHP) have no issues with ride quality.

5) I have a "BRV friend" whom I met at the dealer. He happened to mention that the ride quality in his BRV was quite stiff. When I mentioned the above, he took a small test drive of my car - and he could definitely sense that ride quality in my car (after 1000 km service) was noticeably better than his.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160730_122618_1_p.jpg

And in other news:

1) The engine guard of the diesel variant CANNOT be fitted to the petrol variant.

2) Might qualify as "niggle" I guess - but the keyless entry/exit button does NOT work roughly once a week. I have to lock/unlock using the buttons on the key fob if it happens. If it doesn't work in the morning, it works later in the evening though. It's quite moody!

3) Team-BHP Stickers have arrived!

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160806_160918_p.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160806_161145_1_p.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160806_161252_p.jpg
SmartCat is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 7th August 2016, 13:49   #465
BHPian

Our BRV returned 30 kmpl from Belgavi to Hattargi toll naka 30 km patch on NH4 at speeds around 80kmph and auto AC with no passengers
bhpindian is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed