Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2016, 15:19   #406
BHPian

Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvnagan View Post
Thanks harishhm74 and Mustang_Shelby for your replies.

Going by their attitude during sales, I don't even want to think about their behavior when it comes to Service . Having second thoughts about this dealer. Anybody on the forum have any opinions on Magnum Honda?
I think it is very specific dealer driven rather than brand driven. I have exactly opposite experience from my Honda dealer. First call prompt reply. Same day at home pre-booking formalities. Call from them on day before launch for invite. Call for TD the very next day. TD within 10 minutes of reaching the dealer. First TD of CVT after they received it that too for 1.5 hours and 40 odd kms.

My experience with Hyundai was bad. It was more like don't care attitude that I guess Honda used to have. The worst was Ford. They could not deliver the car on time after making a payment ! And its 4 months now, they are following up with me when I have told them atleast 10 times that I have booked another car.
-xplora- is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 20:34   #407
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Changing your dealer will put you back in queue with the new dealer. What can be done is to check with the 2nd dealer, if he can fit accessories on your car purchased from the 1st dealer, if he is willing to offer discounts. The same can be done immediately upon delivery or you can send your car for the first service and get the same done at that time. No compulsion on getting the accessories fitted from the dealer you buy your car from.
Thanks for the advise, made piece with the dealer, cut down the items of accessories made opted for insurance from outside and got discount worth 9000 rs.
BR-V has come home in Tafeta white color this evening.
Accessories fitted are AVN Megaaudio, floor mats, stearing wheel cover and front arm rest.
jacksons is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 23:41   #408
Team-BHP Support

Gentlemen, my (mildly) modified BR-V CVT has arrived finally! Unfortunately, I could not get many photos because of rains. Will take more photos tomorrow. However, here are my initial impressions based on 20 kms city drive.

1) It takes about 60 seconds to get used to driving the BR-V. It is ergonomically perfect.

2) The steering feel is very similar to 3rd gen Honda City.

3) BRV seems to draw a lot of attention to itself from Aam Junta, especially at night! It's probably the unique tail lamps because I have noticed a couple bikers overtaking and looking back at the car.

4) Those who are knowledgeable about cars (customers at 3M Car Care) didn't seem to be very impressed. One dude even asked me (politely) why I didn't buy a S-Cross or XUV 500 instead!

5) Attention to detail is very poor. At night, if you look below the dashboard/instrument cluster level, it is darker than a coal mine. Nothing is backlit! Not the AC slider, not the steering mounted audio controls and not the power window switches.

6) Shockingly, even PRNDS on the gear lever is NOT backlit. Newbie AT users beware.

7) The projector headlamps (low beam) are excellent. It lights up city roads even if they are already lit by streetlights. High beam is good too.

8) On this 20 km drive, the MID displayed a fuel economy of 8.5 kmpl (multiple stops, heavy traffic, low speeds).

9) 3M Nomad mats cost Rs. 11,500 for the BR-V.

10) The CVT rubber band effect was noticeable to me in D mode even within the city limits (like getting off quickly from traffic signal OR getting off a large road hump and accelerating OR at a steep incline from crawling speeds). Switching to S mode eliminates this altogether.

Note the front plastic crash guard and scratch protector on the bumper above the fog lamps. Also, note that the V Variant does not have the matte silver skid plate (instead we get a black one)

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160627_164612_1_p.jpg

In the side profile, I have opted for a full length body side black scratch protector and a fake air vent. I think these accessories break the visual bulk (because of big doors) of the side profile. Also, I think the fake air vents force cold air into the engine and increases power by an imaginary 10%.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160627_164623_1_p.jpg

At the rear, we have big rear bumper scratch protectors (black). I feel they reduce the prominence of the chrome moustache.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160627_164637_1_p.jpg

I have also spoken to 3M guys and have ordered white vinyl wrap. The chrome strip at the back will be gone in a couple of days.

Night shot of the Honda City type instrumentation cluster (does not have blue backlight)

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160627_220440_1_p.jpg

The two sides of the "keys"

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160627_224333_1_p.jpg

More proper pics tomorrow!

Last edited by SmartCat : 27th June 2016 at 23:57.
SmartCat is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 00:08   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksons View Post
Accessories fitted are AVN Megaaudio, floor mats, stearing wheel cover and front arm rest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Gentlemen, my (mildly) modified BR-V CVT has arrived finally! Unfortunately, I could not get many photos because of rains. Will take more photos tomorrow.
Many congrats to both of you!!

Would love to see more pics!

Thanks for those insights smartcat!

Jacksons sir, can you update price of those accessories, and photos of how they look?!
Old 28th June 2016, 09:32   #410
Distinguished - BHPian

That's the busiest side profile ever. Mix of materials, colours, finishes, lines, creases, curves etc.
kiku007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 17:16   #411
Team-BHP Support

The dashboard after fixing MaymyIndia IceNav 301 (Rs. 21K on snapdeal/Infibeam)

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160628_125527_1_p.jpg

Dealer has done a "below expectations" job in integrating the HU into the dash

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160628_130452_1_p.jpg

The unit has both preset and user defined equalizer settings

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160628_130612_1_p.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160628_130631_1_p.jpg

MapMyIndia GPS' usability is poor when compared to Google Maps. But I still opted for GPS because Google Maps on smartphone has a tendency to lose signal at the wrong time!

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160628_130759_1_p.jpg

The unit is also compatible with reversing camera with guide lines. Note that the lines seem to be off because the BR-V was parked in a ditch and the A-star behind was parked on a small hill

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160628_130820_1_p.jpg

I also opted for parking sensors (Rs. 6000) which is strangely mounted on the rear brake light enclosure. However, this is useful for somebody like me who turns around and looks back when I'm reversing a car.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160628_130925_p.jpg

Front arm rest is another accessory I opted for (Rs. 6000).

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160628_125846_1_p.jpg

You can flip it open to access a deep storage unit (felt lined too), but the cushion on top does not slide forward.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160628_125912_1_p.jpg

One minor disadvantage of opting for the front arm rest is that you lose the center bottle holder Also, note the NOT so great job the dealer has done in fitting the seat covers.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160628_125608_1_p.jpg

However, the PVC seat covers themselves seem to be of good quality - both in terms of looks and feel. Cost Rs. 12,000

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160628_131309_p.jpg
SmartCat is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 17:23   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Also, I think the fake air vents force cold air into the engine and increases power by an imaginary 10%.
I am sorry, but I couldn't figure out if you were being sarcastic or not. Please elaborate on how does fake air vents force cold air into the engine to increase the power?
shifu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 17:44   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksons View Post
Thanks for the advise, made piece with the dealer, cut down the items of accessories made opted for insurance from outside and got discount worth 9000 rs.
Quote:
Gentlemen, my (mildly) modified BR-V CVT has arrived finally! Unfortunately, I could not get many photos because of rains. Will take more photos tomorrow. However, here are my initial impressions based on 20 kms city drive.

5) Attention to detail is very poor. At night, if you look below the dashboard/instrument cluster level, it is darker than a coal mine. Nothing is backlit! Not the AC slider, not the steering mounted audio controls and not the power window switches.

6) Shockingly, even PRNDS on the gear lever is NOT backlit. Newbie AT users beware.

More proper pics tomorrow!
Congratulations to both new owners. I will be eagerly looking forward to updates as I move towards my own purchase in the coming quarter.
Lack of backlighting for controls actually is pretty bad. However, good to hear that the headlights are powerful.
aptiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 19:41   #414
Team-BHP Support

Finally, some exterior shots - starting with the Top View:

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160628_073410_1_p.jpg

Side Profile:

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160628_112949_1_p.jpg

Rear View:

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160628_164152_1_p.jpg

Reversing camera and parking sensor mounted on the rear bumper/skid plate:

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160628_164228_p.jpg

Close up of rear bumper protectors (Rs. 2000):

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160628_164241_p.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
I am sorry, but I couldn't figure out if you were being sarcastic or not.
I think I will just call it the "front fender garnish" (Rs. 2700) - that's what Honda says it is.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160628_164252_p.jpg

Rear three quarters view with "Body side moulding armour" (Cost Rs. 9000) on the doors:

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160628_164448_1_p.jpg

Front three quarters view:

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160628_164510_p.jpg

Front view with the "front guard" (Rs. 8500):

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160628_164525_p.jpg

The front bumper protectors above the fog lamps (Rs. 2000):

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160628_164532_1_p.jpg

Size comparison between A-Star AT (Rs. 3.4 Lacs + Rs. 20,000 = Rs. 3.6 Lacs) and BR-V AT (Rs. 14.9 lacs + Rs. 80,000 = Rs. 15.7 lacs):

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160628_184058_1_p.jpg

The C Shaped glow when lights are switched on:

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160628_185527.jpg

In other news, the big tear on the carpet near the fuel opener has been fixed (sort of) in production versions:

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160628_164640_p.jpg

But they have messed up the glovebox lid area. It is not aligned properly.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160628_164559_1_p.jpg
SmartCat is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 22:37   #415
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gentlemen, my (mildly) modified BR-V CVT has arrived finally!
Congrats on the new buy mate. The car looks the best in the white shade. I like the modifications you have done to the car except for the rear bumper protectors. They protrude out a bit too much and do not do justice to the side profile of the car. I think Honda could have made them a bit more subtle.

A few questions-

1. Is your city like steering leather wrapped? Or is it only for the VX trim?
2. How do you pick calls with the new infotainment system? Is there a button or is it touch based?
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 10:26   #416
BHPian

Quote:
Gentlemen, my (mildly) modified BR-V CVT has arrived finally!
@smartcat - You have enough Info and pictures to start an Initial ownership thread. I for one will be glued since I am eyeing this as my next purchase. Thanks in Advance.
vvnagan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 17:29   #417
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
1. Is your city like steering leather wrapped? Or is it only for the VX trim?
Only for the VX trim. Dealer is offering pure leather wrap for Rs. 2000 and fake leather wrap for Rs. 800. I didn't opt for it because I hear it involves disconnection/reconnection of airbags!

Quote:
2. How do you pick calls with the new infotainment system? Is there a button or is it touch based?
We have 3 options:

1) Call is automatically picked up after a couple of rings.
2) Touch based YES or NO for call pickup
3) Steering mounted controls.

Basically, all keys on the steering are user configurable. In my BRV, I have set CH+ to accept calls and CH- to disconnect calls.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160629_163758_1_p.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvnagan View Post
@smartcat - You have enough Info and pictures to start an Initial ownership thread. I for one will be glued since I am eyeing this as my next purchase. Thanks in Advance.
Initial ownership thread after I put in a few hundred kms Till then I'll be updating this thread with my findings. I discovered a use for the paddle shifts on the steering wheel even in the city. See, while coming downhill in steep slopes, I switch to L or 2 mode in my A-Star automatic

Honda BR-V : Official Review-dsc02070.jpg

This results in engine braking and controls the speed - so that I don't have to keep stabbing the brakes. Unfortunately, the BR-V CVT does not have a L mode. The Sports mode is not good enough. Although there is some engine braking, the car moves too fast down a steep slope.

But in the BRV, we can "downshift" (for engine braking) using the paddles to control speeds.
SmartCat is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 17:42   #418
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Only for the VX trim. Dealer is offering pure leather wrap for Rs. 2000 and fake leather wrap for Rs. 800. I didn't opt for it because I hear it involves disconnection/reconnection of airbags!
In airbag equipped cars, the battery terminals should be disconnected before taking the steering wheel out and they should be reconnected only after the steering is fitted back. Should not be much of an issue if that is followed, especially at the dealer level.

Quote:
We have 3 options:

1) Call is automatically picked up after a couple of rings.
2) Touch based YES or NO for call pickup
3) Steering mounted controls.

Basically, all keys on the steering are user configurable. In my BRV, I have set CH+ to accept calls and CH- to disconnect calls.
Looks like you got yourself a big bonus, steering mounted call controls, which otherwise are missing in the BR-V. Can the steering controls be configured even with the OEM unit?

Last edited by AYP : 29th June 2016 at 18:11.
AYP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 09:54   #419
BHPian

Quote:

Unfortunately, the BR-V CVT does not have a L mode. The Sports mode is not good enough. Although there is some engine braking, the car moves too fast down a steep slope.

But in the BRV, we can "downshift" (for engine braking) using the paddles to control speeds.
I got a Leather wrap done for the steering wheel on my Duster .. It was a wraparound type which was then stitched up on the steering . Took a lotta time, but the end result was very neat & tight and it did not involve removing the steering wheel. You can try for that..

The Indonesian version gets the L mode as well . Honda has done ridonculous amounts of cost-cutting here.

And crazy product placement as well- Jazz/Amaze get L mode CVT , but City/BRV doesnt (in India)
BUXX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 10:52   #420
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your BRV @smartcat. Now a days whenever I see a Mobilio, I wonder if its a BRV !
Its a crossover that stopped crossing over prematurely (and uniquely compared to others)
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks