Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2017, 12:20   #1741
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

2700kms and counting now. A quick update. Last mileage tankful to tankful, a healthy 14.2 kmpl. That too with ac on, automatic model and a mix of city and highway. Compare this with my Storme (41k kms old) which gives about 11 kmpl under same conditions. Superb engineering by Tata considering the Hexa is 200kg heavier than the Storme.
One more thing, about 10 Innova cabbies have been asking me various details about the Hexa. Looks like there is some interest in the cab markets as well

Last edited by theMAG : 31st March 2017 at 18:18. Reason: Typo corrected
apachelongbow is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 15:10   #1742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
Absolutely important. These features can be life saving in critical situations. Go for it

True.These are indeed very important.Im still trying to figure out why Tata has not provided these features with the auto box.
Could it be something to do with the compatibility of this auto box and the drive modes(ESP dependent)?

Tata hexa chat and sales reps in unison told me that it's for product demarcation between city dweller AT and highway and Offroad MT. But I don't buy that argument.

I'm waiting to see the XTA 4x4 and how they integrate it into that.

Compared to XT .; the XTA lacks

-Hydraulic Brake Assist HBA
-Hill Descent Control HDC
- ESP with Rollover Mitigation ESP
-Traction Control System TCS

Hill hold is built into the auto box.

The auto is the better choice as recommended across the board.But On the topmost variant, I do miss these.@17.40 ex Delhi.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 17:02   #1743
BHPian

Hello!
I tried to compare the Hexa XTA (Top variant) with Endeavour 2.2 AT Trend (Base). I checked the Ford India website and Tata Hexa website downloaded their brochure and tried to compare them in tabular format (See attached pic).

Please highlight if I missed out any other feature from both sides. The priority column is strictly personal to me others may have different opinion.

Quick description:

1. 19" is better then 18" but at the same time Endy got broad tyres 265 vs 215 in Hexa.

2. Will be used by only me,my wife & 8 month old son. 3rd row will be used once in a year + 2nd row occasionally.

3. 4 vs 3 ok for anyone.
4. More GC a plus point. I do not participate in any off-road trails hence choosing 4x2. Max off road done in last 6 years with Safari is climbing footpaths while parking.
5. Bigger is better more kms and lesser visits to fuel stations + I always prefer tank full.

6,7,8. Ambient lighting, DRL and Auto headlight a good to have but not so important. Sun-blind is a nice feature missing in Endy.

9. Good to have as far as I understand will save one from stranding out.

10. Powered Tailgate is the best feature for me in Endy it looks really cool watching tailgate opening and closing automatically.

11,12,13. Again not a must but sounds good. Speed limiter will save your car from manhandling. Emergency assistance a auto call feature in unfortunate circumstances.

14. This is that one feature which I always miss in Safari vs my Dad's Accord. Whenever I drive Accord I always wish this to be present in my next car.

15. Flat folding 3rd row. Not sure why I am not able to get my mind out of this although all our respective owners say they are happy with this.

16,17. Important to have them from safety point of view. Missing in XTA but present in XT.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-hexa-vs-endy.jpg  

roby_dk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 17:33   #1744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
Hello!

I tried to compare the Hexa XTA (Top variant) with Endeavour 2.2 AT Trend (Base). I checked the Ford India website and Tata Hexa website downloaded their brochure and tried to compare them in tabular format (See attached pic).

Please highlight if I missed out any other feature from.

16,17. Important to have them from safety point of view. Missing in XTA but present in XT.

Hey Roby,

While I get the other priorities in your list, I see a skew in safety features especially considering your kid would travel in the back. 6 airbags vs 2 should be the way forward in any comparison, as it would have curtain airbags.

I've mentioned this since youve given the other electronic safety features as a high priority.

The hexa has a 235mm tyre width as per the website - but this hasn't reduced it's comfort levels which are on par and better than the ford.

I checked out the endeavour too, and was very impressed with it other than the space inside, (my family who went me found it smaller compared to the hexa 2nd row and third) and the fact that it would cost about 700k more (approx). For us the appeal was secondary as we're in for more seats with comfort, but it didn't meet my safety requirements for which only the titanium version was fit and then we all know the difference there cost plus features.

I'm going for the XT 4x4 soon.

Buddy I feel you're fighting yourself here, both the cars are great! You need to go with the one you want more and as you've said if the 3rd not folding flat bothers you; it bother you, period! You've either got let those devils go and pick up the hexa or decide if you can't and go for the ford!

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers and God bless!
aayushnair is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 17:44   #1745
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshnvjy View Post
Since I'm a newbie, I don't have the privileges yet to post an all new ownership review thread, and therefore I would like to pen my thoughts here as a small summary for all the members who may be considering purchasing the Hexa.
Says who ? Please start off with an ownership thread in the Assembly Line. For review guidelines, view this announcement.

Let us know once done and we'll be happy to move the thread out. An ownership review goes on to help thousands of BHPians & guests.

Thanks!
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 17:45   #1746
BHPian

Some more points: Hexa XTA 4x2 Vs Ford Endeavour 2.2 Trend AT

-Std warranty (3yrs - extendable to 5 yrs Vs 2 yrs for Endy)

Advantage Hexa

-6 Airbags.

-Cooled Glove Box
-Rear Fog Lamps
-Daytime Running Lights
-Automatic Headlamps
-LED Tail Lamps
-One touch up down-All windows vs Only Driver?

Advantage Endy

Turning Radius 4.9 vs 5.6
Auto Climate Control (Dual Zone)
Multi Function Display for Trip meter
Digital Tacho
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 17:48   #1747
BHPian

3200kms done, and a recent experience shared in my ownership thread, which i feel is not appropriate to share in this thread as it's going to be OT.
Also have booked the Viofo A119 dashcam. Hope the power cable extends all the way till third row 12V socket. Else ill just use the second row one. Link:-

https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/3270....html#autostay
Old 30th March 2017, 13:51   #1748
BHPian

All women road trip to London in an Hexa.
http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...le17723061.ece
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-1.jpg  

MercFan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th March 2017, 14:03   #1749
Senior - BHPian

Saw the Hexa in flesh for the first time today. It was an XTA variant in beige colour. The car has good road presence for sure! It looked stunning from the front. The rear isn't too bad either. Paint looked rich in quality, and so did the exterior plastics. I'm impressed!
Old 30th March 2017, 14:04   #1750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post

Advantage Endy

TBHP review says 5.85 m for 4WD version. There shall not be so large a difference in 2WD model.
Old 30th March 2017, 20:25   #1751
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Advantage Endy
4.9? That's better than a Hyundai i10 AFAIK the Hexa's turning raidus is 5.7m and the Endy 5.8m
Old 31st March 2017, 11:20   #1752
BHPian

Quote:
Update: Got a call from Autovikas today from the advisor who was on sick leave last saturday. He asked me did I make up my mind for Hexa. I told him about the poor experience we had in our last visit.
He apologised for the same and confirmed a test drive tomorrow. He will be coming to my home with XTA, lets see how it goes this time.
I got a TD done from the South-Ex showroom by a guy called Dishant. A really nice and courteous guy. Do give him a call and he will make sure you get to TD the Hexa wherever in Delhi you are from. (Dishant: 09319641919)
EasyR1der is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2017, 14:24   #1753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayushnair View Post
Hey Roby,

While I get the other priorities in your list, I see a skew in safety features especially considering your kid would travel in the back. 6 airbags vs 2 should be the way forward in any comparison, as it would have curtain airbags.

I've mentioned this since you've given the other electronic safety features as a high priority.

Thanks, I skipped on airbags considering they both will be seated in front. But after some time one has to shift back. Updated the priority to High.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayushnair View Post
Buddy I feel you're fighting yourself here, both the cars are great! You need to go with the one you want more and as you've said if the 3rd not folding flat bothers you; it bother you, period! You've either got let those devils go and pick up the hexa or decide if you can't and go for the ford!

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers and God bless!

Yes true. If it was my first SUV then I have would have easily picked Hexa. I am driving a Safari which is running absolutely fine even after 6 years but the only reason for change is AT.
Adding to this while spending 21L for Hexa I feel it will not be a segment upgrade. Although Hexa XTA is best in 21L but I think I am looking for the next segment now.
So Hexa is almost dropped now. Now I am targeting < 30L cars preferably Endeavour Trend but it is not available in Delhi. Will wait for 3-4 months + GST else I will opt for Titanium variant.

Quote:

Some more points: Hexa XTA 4x2 Vs Ford Endeavour 2.2 Trend AT

Thanks updated the same but I guess the Turning radius is not correct.
Trust me I am not able to find good reasons to upgrade from Dicor > Hexa. Since you already have a Storme I don't think you will find Hexa interesting apart from some new features and AT. If you will be driving with full house frequently then only you should go for Hexa else you gonna miss Storme badly, madly & sadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyR1der View Post
I got a TD done from the South-Ex showroom by a guy called Dishant. A really nice and courteous guy. Do give him a call and he will make sure you get to TD the Hexa wherever in Delhi you are from. (Dishant: 09319641919)
Thanks dear will try if I didn't get TD of XTA from Autovikas.

BTW had a brief Test drive of Hexa XT 4x4 yesterday. The TD car was in Arizona blue colour and was looking fabulous. Although I told him to bring XTA but he told he forgot that I am interested in automatic variant.
Anyways me and my wife went for the TD and drove the car for 15-20 kms around and tested all four modes present in 4x4 model. The modes definitely have noticeable difference and the acceleration and other dynamics were changing accordingly.
The clutch is much lighter compared to my dicor. The steering was not up-to the mark as I expected it to be much lighter. I checked the reverse mode too and camera got started as soon as reverse was engaged.
The AC was really effective in all rows with dedicated vents. The ride quality is commendable and is far better than my Safari. I must say it is the best Tata till date.

Price List Delhi + Updated Sheet attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-hexa-vs-endy.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20170330_140822.jpg  

roby_dk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2017, 15:14   #1754
BHPian

Yes, true Roby. The Hexa is a great vehicle and indeed the best TATA to date. But it's hard to replace the Storme with the Hexa XTA. Even in your case, I think the same feeling is echoed.

I know, Both of us have NO problems with Tata or the badge, so lets keep that factor aside.

I empathise with your situation between the XTA and the 2.2 AT, and have been following your decision making process (in the hope of clarifying some things for myself objectively too :P) So here's my attempt in clearing the debate.

In sheer features list and spec sheet, the Hexa would win hands down over the entry level Endy and for that matter over many other cars priced above it. That is its greatest strength. So with just numbers and brochure based decision, the Hexa will always come out on top. The Hexa has better interior space and ride quality and a whole lot of other things sorted and going good for it. It's labelled as a premium offering by Tata and is definitely an honest attempt at that. In a logical mind based decision making process, we could pick the Hexa and save some good many lacs. Do not try to make this a debate purely on logic, then there would be no (favourable) end to this dilemma.

But cars are matters of heart also. In our personal case, as an upgrade from Safari/Storme, there's an aspirational need to cross deck to the higher segment (if affordable). There is a nice wide gap above the Indian SUVs segment upto the aspirational benchmark for many, Fortuner ,which becomes way off budget. The Endeavour, at least versions of it, sit within this gap and call out to us... dearly. And we can't necessarily put a price or number for this aspiration quotient. And its a very personal and individual based decision and need not be justified to the world.

The Endeavour has that 'character' in its looks that we have addicted ourselves to, being Safari souls. And while driving the higher segment Ford, there would be a personal sense of achievement and a statement of arrival, you make to yourself, and that satisfying feeling of having 'upgraded', (despite the things we would lack in terms of features spec). That feeling has an intangible value.

If I were you, and I could afford the stretch, I would go for the 2.2 AT Endeavour.

OR, If I had time to wait, I would see through this exciting 2017-18 rollouts, which try to slot into the above mentioned gap.
ISUZU MuX, Jeep Compass?, TATA-Q501'Goshawk' etc. The 2018 Expo could be a sign of good things to come.

Best wishes.

Last edited by vigneshkumar31 : 31st March 2017 at 15:22.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st March 2017, 17:48   #1755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes true. If it was my first SUV then I have would have easily picked Hexa. I am driving a Safari which is running absolutely fine even after 6 years but the only reason for change is AT.
Adding to this while spending 21L for Hexa I feel it will not be a segment upgrade. Although Hexa XTA is best in 21L but I think I am looking for the next segment now.
So Hexa is almost dropped now....
I own a Storme and now a Hexa XTA. Its the opposite of what you just wrote. Post the Hexa the Storme feels very crude and some generations behind. The Hexa may be low on price but trust me it is several segments above the Storme, especially in terms of features,,fit and finish and well appointed interiors, not to mention the fantastic automatic. Everytime I step out for a drive my hands always pick up the Hexa keys, its only when I want to drive in peak traffic or conjested roads I pick up the Storme due its immense bullying powers

Also a point worth mentioning is when I replaced the Dicor with the Storme,the Storme felt atleast 2 generations ahead of the rattly dicor. Good to see TML making progress

Last edited by Zappo : 31st March 2017 at 18:59. Reason: Quoted text truncated.
apachelongbow is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks