Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2017, 11:05   #1666
BHPian

Re: Hexa 3rd Row Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Any news from Tata's whether they will fix the design flaw with the 3rd row seating. When carrying large suitcases etc, the boot floor will be severely sloped downwards.
I doubt if it will be addressed. The slope is because of the curvature of the third row seats. Both in the bench and the back rest. If they make them flat then it might be possible to make the folded seats flat. I doubt if they will do it. Then it will take away the comfort of the third row.
Old 20th March 2017, 11:52   #1667
BANNED

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayushnair View Post

Overall I think it was passenger comfort over the comfort of the luggage imo. ;-)
+1 to that. Getting rid of the contours on the backrest of middle row and lowering the seat base of the third row will give it a flat loading floor. Now the question is that whether we really require a 100% flat boot floor. While this is debatable, I am of the opinion that it is not something that we need to create a fuss about. I can think of two reasons in favor of not having a flat floor.

1> Passenger comfort is better owing to the higher seating position (compared to the low seating with knees up position which cars offering flat floors feature)

2> A subtle tilt upwards (basically a positive gradient) in the boot floor will have slight edge when it comes to luggage moving forward during panic braking.

Coming to another post in this thread where someone was mentioning about fitting a washing machine or something in the boot, well I think we must realize we are buying a SUV/Crossover and not a cargo hauling machine to ferry home appliances. If someone can afford a 20L rupee car, why not spend that additional 500 bucks and get their appliance(s) shipped in a goods auto?
Kishen.padiyar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 12:13   #1668
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayushnair View Post
Overall I think it was passenger comfort over the comfort of the luggage imo. ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
Then it will take away the comfort of the third row.
I am sure they looked at making the seat comfortable, but if they don't have the capability to design a flat floor, they should have gone for side folding and removable like in the Toyota Fortuner/Prado range.

Flaws are flaws, which ever way you slice and dice it.

Last edited by GTO : 20th March 2017 at 23:14. Reason: PM coming up
4x4addict is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 13:00   #1669
BHPian

Quote:
Flaws are flaws, which ever way you slice and dice it.
By the way, i do not see it as a flaw because i value comfort more. Going by usage, people tend to sit in the third row more often than overloading the car with luggage.
And hope TATA doesn't do anything with it and compromise on comfort. There are four bottle holders and a lamp in the third row along with pillar vents. Sideways folding hence may not be an option. You can either have utility and comfort for the third row passengers. Or you can minus the cup holders and increase boot space by having side foldable seats. But you cannot have both! And i feel TATA has chosen the right option.

Coming to a sloping boot as this, if you notice the boot floor, it's completely carpeted. Also, you have an additional cover over the place where tools are kept. It is highly unlikely that the luggage will simply roll down towards the boot door.
I recently had a long trip to my native and the boot was loaded with luggage. Throughout the 700kms. Irrespective of road conditions, the luggage did not budge an inch.

Last edited by GTO : 20th March 2017 at 23:16. Reason: Removing rude bits from quoted post, hence trimming the start & end of your post. Thanks
abhi7013 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 13:27   #1670

I am in the market for 7 Seater, and so went to check the HEXA. I could not get my hands on test vehicle, as it was away for servicing, apparently. The display vehicle was was available in 7 seat configuration. Seating comfort i very good in both driver as well as middle seat. The last row was not too bad. One has to climb-in, as some one has already pointed out. Though not too bad. Will have to check if my parents find it difficult.

What I did not like was the LCD screen, which appeared too small. A Vehicle of this size would require atleast a size up, if not two. The display clarity was also not very good. I had seen Breeza's screen, and it had much better clarity.

Then I started the music system, and it was very good, yes the display model was XT, with 10 speakers. A very big thumbs up for TATA, good job in this department. Not sure how XM or XE would fare with fewer speakers.

The seat comfort and music system has prompted me to ask for test drive. I am waiting for them to call back. They seem to be in no hurry.
rysk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 13:29   #1671
Distinguished - BHPian

@ abhi7013

I have driven this vehicle over some rough roads and given my feedback on this forum. As many others including myself have pointed out this vehicle is definitely has many positives and offers an excellent balance between interiors space/ride/handling etc. But I highlight the not so nice parts of it as well.

As, I said early, you guys can justify this flaw no end and feel happy about it, but to me a boot with a fairly steep incline is a no no...

Last edited by GTO : 20th March 2017 at 23:17. Reason: Removing part of quoted post which has been deleted
4x4addict is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 13:37   #1672
Team-BHP Support

If this is the final resting position of the rear seat, then surely this has to do something with basic design and TATA has got this wrong. They will need to re-design the complete seat/ mating components sooner or later.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-screen-shot-20170320-1.34.48-pm.png  

Last edited by Turbanator : 20th March 2017 at 13:39.
Turbanator is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 13:57   #1673
BHPian

Quote:
flaws are flaws, which ever way you slice and dice it.
I know a cab driver who drives an Innova for a travel company working for airport picks ups and drops to hotels for last 4 years. He says he has to fold down 2 rows only once. The vehicle has run for 2,50,000 KMs. So, whats the point anyways?

Last edited by GTO : 20th March 2017 at 23:18. Reason: Fanboy part removed from quoted post, hence...
itsashishsharma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 13:57   #1674
BANNED

@ 4x4addict

Isn't it simple physics that an object with a given contact area and a given coefficient of friction requires more effort or force to go up a small gradient compared to a zero gradient? Whether you like the non-flat floor or not, it is up to you. I mentioned a simple fact that if there exists a small gradient, bags will not slide forward as easily as they would in case of a flat floor. This issue is more prominent if the car is a 6 seater with a gap in between the two captain seats.

I can choose to be as sarcastic but let me adhere to maintaining the quality of posts in this Forum. I own a Aria since 2012 and have done umpteen number of pick ups and drops to and fro airport and I understand what international travelers carry. And In my case my car's boot space even with the small gradient has sufficed. I have loaded my car with up to six 28" strolleys. And I wonder how many additional bags one can accommodate if the boot floor were completely flat.

Just to put together some numbers, assuming one can carry upto 4 passengers with the third row folded, all four of them flying in with 2 piece checked in luggage with 1 piece cabin baggage each, that totals to 8 suitcases and 4 duffle bags. Can this much luggage be fit in a car with a flat floor? If yes, whichever car fits it is the one you should be buying.

Last edited by GTO : 20th March 2017 at 23:19. Reason: Quoted post has been edited, hence...
Kishen.padiyar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 15:13   #1675
BHPian

Quote:
I am sure they looked at making the seat comfortable, but if they don't have the capability to design a flat floor, they should have gone for side folding and removable like in the Toyota Fortuner/Prado range.
I think its matter of preference.

1. I would any day prefer front facing seats + seat belts + airbags than side facing seats (in fact that's one reason Storme is off my list).

2. Now with front facing seats, almost everyone agrees that passenger comfort in Hexa is the best with respect to direct competition, but XUV and Crysta's seats folds flat. So again Hexa designers could have consciously opted for better passenger comfort & compromised on flat folding ability.

I think a bungee ropes with hooks at the ends can be used to tie the baggage and ensure it doesn't hit the backdoor, I have personally used this technique to carry upto 3 bicycles in my scorpio and it has worked well, however I don't know of any technique to make a cramped seat comfortable.

Looking at pics of Hexa with back seat folded causes a cognitive dissonance and just doesn't feel right. But I think it is more of psychological than anything else. One must actually try putting in heavy suitcases/ luggage to check if they really slide back and rest on the door, in my opinion, it wouldn't happen.

Last edited by tifosikrishna : 20th March 2017 at 15:17.
tifosikrishna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 16:57   #1676
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
If this is the final resting position of the rear seat, then surely this has to do something with basic design and TATA has got this wrong. They will need to re-design the complete seat/ mating components sooner or later.
If the head rests are removed from third row it folds like this( http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2102493)
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-tataaria24.jpg  

rkg is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 17:37   #1677
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hexa 3rd Row Issue

Quote:
Any news from Tata's whether they will fix the design flaw with the 3rd row seating. When carrying large suitcases etc, the boot floor will be severely sloped downwards.
At the end of the day it is based on the existing Aria so there does exist several minor ergonomic faults like this, the lack of a dead-pedal, narrow front footwell, pointless driver armrest etc. but overall it does come across as MUCH better than the Aria IMO. When it comes to the boot being sloped when the seats are folded, it is definitely a flaw and there is no ignoring that but it is still nice to know that the chose to prioritize the more relevant comfort of passengers. At the end of the day having both qualities; passenger comfort and luggage ergonomics satisfied, is ideal but I guess that will only come with an all new platform in the future.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 20th March 2017 at 17:43.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 19:18   #1678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
If the head rests are removed from third row it folds like this( http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2102493)
This is an awesome idea. Removing the head rests of third row to reduce the incline which we have been discussing whether it's a flaw or not.
To check I just went to the front page of the Hexa review and saw the third row seat. And I feel that the incline will definitely be reduced if head rests are removed in Hexa.

Please see the third row seat photo from Page 1 of the review. Head rests are surely creating an inclined surface.
I request to our fellow TBHPians who got the delivery of the Hexa to confirm by removing head rests and then folding the third row.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-tatahexa05.jpg  

carbhaari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 20:49   #1679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbhaari View Post
I request to our fellow TBHPians who got the delivery of the Hexa to confirm by removing head rests and then folding the third row.
Actually, the incline is the same irrespective of having the head rests in place or not. I have attached a pic where one of the seats has the head rests taken off. You can see that the incline is the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-p_20170320_201640.jpg  

abhi7013 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 06:32   #1680
Distinguished - BHPian

You guys are missing a very important point. Tata Passenger Vehicles have destroyed their reputation and are struggling.

Even the Hexa has not garnered more hype than bookings. I feel that Tata needs to pull out all stops when designing new products. Finally it is larger market acceptance rather than fans who will pull up the bottom line of the company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbhaari View Post
This is an awesome idea. Removing the head rests of third row to reduce the incline which we have been discussing whether it's a flaw or not.
I tried this. It don't help in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Sadly this is how it is even with headrest removed. Never seen any other vehicle in the world offering a sloped boot area. So much for Tata's design capabilities. I find it hard to believe that you can give a comfortable seat and make the floor flat. Side folding should have been the way to go, if nothing else was possible. Atleast side facing seats can be removed, for extra luggage capacity. Given that Hexa is not exactly flying off the shelves, I am sure certain things will get revisited by Tatas.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 21st March 2017 at 06:37.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks