Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2017, 18:57   #1876
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuruddhs View Post
I am still confused why people driving a XUV call HEXA a big car and difficult to drive in city, If you are going for automatic version your half the problem are already taken care and with few MM in length and breadth does it make that much difference in driving
I have the Hexa AT as well as the Scoprio, along with plenty of experience with the XUV. Hexa feels significantly wider and longer than the two Mahindras, behind the wheel. Also, its turning circle is bigger and the steering is heavier. It certainly is more cumbersome to maneuver around. I have been driving the Scorpio for many year now, yet it me took a bit of time to get used to the Hexa's sheer size.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 19:54   #1877
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlynerd View Post
3. The typo on the sticker on the bottom of the drivers door which cautioned about the turbocharger.
This has been rectified. Now it properly reads 'one minute' and not 'one minut'
Kishen.padiyar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2017, 14:55   #1878
BHPian

Tata Hexa Automatic, Off-Road Experience.

MercFan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 11:35   #1879
BHPian

MercFan,
Thanks for sharing this video , I am eagerly waiting for my XTA delivery this weekend and after seeing this super exited that XTA can also do more or less kind of off-roading which may be needed some time. I am not going to typical kind of off-road events but some times broken roads in villages where I need this kind of stuff .
Anuruddhs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 17:41   #1880
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally, I had some spare time to take an extensive, proper TD of the XT 4x2 MT demo car at the nearest dealership.

My observations, with comparisons based on my extensive TDs of the XTA 4x2 and my current steed, the Creta SX+ (Lazarus).

- Got inside and almost immediately felt that the MT has messed-up ergonomics.
Pushed the driver's seat back to the position I am most comfortable in and the ABC pedals felt too far back (specially the clutch lever).
Adjusted the seat for the proper bite of the clutch and felt I was too close to the steering wheel, plus my left knee and chin brushed against the central console and lower part of the dashboard.
At that sitting position, I couldn't see the ABC pedals either. Had to crane my neck a bit further downward to see where my feet actually rested. The pedals are placed a bit too close together for easy comfort, IMO.
Pushed the seat a bit lower and felt more easier. My feet murmured a silent thanks to me, as they settled better on top of the clutch & accelerator pedals. Still didn't help my left leg from brushing against the central console, though.
Comparatively, the AT's footwell is MUCH better with plenty of space between the A & B pedals, and the nice footrest on the left side providing ample free space for the left leg to rest on.
No such problems with the Creta. The leg space and the pedal placement is optimal.
My preference = Creta.

- I shifted the gears about, and felt that the 1st gear was too far out from the normal reach of the driver. Shifting was easy for the first 4 gears, but the 5th and 6th gears take some getting used to. The gear lever has an unnecessary long travel range to the top right when you need to shift to 5th, and doesn't slot in either. The trick is not to move the lever all the way to the top right, but shift only slightly right from neutral (or 4th) towards the top right, and the gear lever slots into 5th. Once you do it 4-5 times, specially when the car is on the move, and you feel more at ease with the 5th gear slotting.
The 6th gear was getting missed too, and I kept shifting into Reverse. Tried to move into 6th from 5th, and that was easier and smoother. From neutral, it's not easy to move into 6th. Again, one has to be mindful of not moving the lever all the way to the bottom right, but move just enough from the 4th-neutral. It's best to move into 6th from the 5th gear.
The AT is a completely different cup of tea. Need I say why?
Can't beat the Creta here. All sure-slotting, smooth and precise gear shifts, with the button below the gear lever and same shifting into 1st to engage reverse (wish the Hexa had such a system too). No cause for complaints.
My preference = the AT.

- Started the car and moved out. Coming from the Creta, the Hexa's steering felt tougher to deal with at slow, crawling speeds. Once the speeds climbed up, the steering eased up and felt better. I adjusted the steering wheel more towards the top so that I could have a clear view of the instrumentation and the binnacle on top. How I wish the Hexa had telescopic adjustment too! Still, it wasn't to my liking and didn't give back adequate feedback from the tyres/road conditions. Turning the car around was also slightly cumbersome. Anyone who is coming from a Safari/Storme will feel at home, but for Hyundai/Honda owners, the Hexa's steering will take plenty of time to get used to.
The AT's steering felt slightly better than the MT. Feedback was noticeably better and it was slightly better at low speeds, too.
The Creta's steering is quite light. Atrociously light at crawling speeds, which makes you feel slightly nervous when backing out from/getting into narrow spaces. Cross 40-ish speeds and it gets better, although there's a lack of feedback here too. Comparing both, the Hexa's steering is better, even though it's quite tight at 1st/2nd gear speeds.
My preference = AT again.

- The pickup, ride quality and braking is top-notch. The car masks it's hefty weight quite easily. At no time do you feel that you are sitting inside a 2 and a quarter tonne car with an equally-sized engine inside. The suspension, engine response and gear ratios have been tuned perfectly. Triple digit speeds come up in no time.
A Swift was chasing us from town square, it's driver possibly curious about this new Tata behemoth. As soon as we reached outside city limits, I gave a gentle nudge to the A pedal while coasting in the 4th gear, and the Hexa literally flew away from the Swift!
The car is at it's happiest in the 4th gear, and the pull is amazing. Shifting between 4th and 5th in the moving car was much better, as was shifting into 6th from 5th. The first 2 gears are just for the high revs, while the 3rd is well suited for closely knit urban traffic.
Size-wise, you don't feel like the car is a 4.7 meter giant, either. The closely spaced controls all around you, the central console and the instrumentation make you feel that the car is more compact than what it's outer dimensions actually are. Not a bad thing at all.
But here come my biggest grudges with the Hexa MT - the gear lever's NVH levels. The vibrations filtering back into my hand were totally unacceptable in such a premium car! It was as if a full-sized boom-boom discotheque was in full swing somewhere inside the gear lever's innards!
To add to this, the AC's blowers were literally in typhoon/whirlwind mode and that added further to my annoyance. They were not in the mood to relent anytime soon, either.
The AT's pickup is gradual in comparison. But it is also at it's happiest in the 4th and 5th gears. Pulling away from standstill/crawling speeds is only slightly better in the MT. AT owners won't be complaining about this aspect.
The Creta, in comparison, has a nice clean pull from the 1st gear onwards. Mine is a petrol so can't compare directly, but in terms of driveability and practicality in city traffic, the Creta scores better than the Hexa. Also, the parking and road footprint of the Hyundai is half a meter lesser, so that's a big boon for urban commuting too. Braking at lower speeds is quite effective, while high-speed braking still needs improvement. Hyundai needs to address an issue with the Creta's ABS unit - when it kicks in during sudden braking, it feels like your foot has stepped on a crate full of pebbles!
No such thing in the Hexa - AT or MT - braking is absolutely superb.
The Creta's AC, however, is a silent chiller, and also the gear lever is absolutely silent. Full marks to Hyundai for scoring big on these feel-good factors.
My preference = Creta for practicality, Hexa AT for driveability, braking and riding comfort.

Back to the drawing board again now, regarding our booking.

I was thinking of shifting to the XT 4x2 MT because the AT misses out on some crucial safety features, but the AT is still tugging at my heart's strings because of it's absolutely beautiful response.

Got quotations for the XM 4x2 (16.2L OTR), XMA 4x2 (17.6L OTR) and XT 4x2 (19.04L OTR) and left for home.

Weighing all options, and it could be the XMA 4x2 for me in the end.

Still debating, though.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 24th April 2017 at 17:47. Reason: edited a point.
RavenAvi is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 20:07   #1881
BHPian

This thread is probably among the ones that notched the highest number of views and posts in the shortest time. Shows how interesting this product is.

However, very surprisingly, in Bangalore, where I cover the length and breadth on a regular basis, I have never seen any "Registered" Hexa till date. Which seems odd as the day of launch I probably saw more than 10 different Test Drive vehicles being driven around. I was in Delhi for a few days earlier this month and saw one Blue Hexa parked in a club. Went around it and found it to be truly impressive.

Any idea where these are selling? Our monthly data does not come broken down by regions or states, but it would be an interesting reading. Are there supply constraints? What is the waiting period? Any thoughts?

Last edited by nareshtrao : 24th April 2017 at 20:18.
Old 24th April 2017, 20:16   #1882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

Got quotations for the XM 4x2 (16.2L OTR), XMA 4x2 (17.6L OTR) and XT 4x2 (19.04L OTR) and left for home.

Still debating, though.
Would recommend you to buy a segment above the Hexa. Like the fortuner or the endy. Coming from a Creta, it is pretty obvious that you are dissatisfied in the comparison. Unless absolutely necessary for a 7 seater within 25L, go for the segment above 30L, because you get what you pay for! Though, i daresay, the Hexa's comfort and quality of drive is a class apart.
Old 24th April 2017, 22:57   #1883
BHPian

Quote:

- I shifted the gears about, and felt that the 1st gear was too far out from the normal reach of the driver.

But here come my biggest grudges with the Hexa MT - the gear lever's NVH levels. The vibrations filtering back into my hand were totally unacceptable in such a premium car! It was as if a full-sized boom-boom discotheque was in full swing somewhere inside the gear lever's innards!
Sir, I noticed many people have complained about the ergonomics, yet many, including me and my dad have thought that the ergonomics are spot on. I feel that there will be a sweet spot for certain drivers. Me and my dad are around 6'2" and 6'1" respectively, and perhaps for our height, the ergonomics feel alright. Do not know about others. GTO sir was also mentioning that he felt the ergonomics was messed up. The opinions on this seem to be quite polarising.

I completely agree with you on the vibrations on the gear lever. However, may I make a suggestion as to what the reason could be. We know that the Hexa has a ladder frame construction with a longitudinally mounted engine, crankshaft connected to the gearbox from which the propshaft drives the rear wheels. This would mean that the gearbox is located directly below the center console, between the two front passengers. This is in contrast to monocoque bodied, transverse engine mounted vehicles where the gearbox is maybe placed a bit further to the front and mounted transverse to drive the front wheels (as it is in the Creta). The difference in these two arrangements would be that, for the Hexa, the gear lever is directly connected to the gearbox ie. it is a direct linkage to the shifter mechanism and on the Creta and other monocoque/transverse mounted cars, the gearbox is cable operated and there is no direct connection to the shifter mechanism.

I felt the same when driving the Hexa and my uncle's Indica Vista back to back. The Vista's gear lever is smooth as butter with no vibrations at all, at any position. The Hexa's in comparison, feels like I am grinding gears when shifting from 2-3rd and 2-1st. For the same reasons, the XUV might not have any vibrations on the lever, since it has a transverse mounted engine.

This is just pure speculation and I thought of it because a friend told me that his Innova (old model), as well as a Crysta MT that he test drove had similar vibrations on the gear lever and that its normal. Our family is coming from a Fiat Punto and this is the first rear-wheel drive ladder-framed vehicle that we have ever owned or driven, so I wondered the same and that's why I asked him.
rshnvjy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 08:34   #1884
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
I have never seen any "Registered" Hexa till date.
I stay in the outskirts of Bangalore (Electronic City) and do not travel much inside the city and yet I have spotted around 15 Hexas so far and this number is excluding 8 of my friends who have Hexas (we have a Whatsapp group for Aria and Hexa owners of Bangalore). Though not ground breaking numbers like the Innova or even the new Fortuner, I would say that the sales are pretty good. I was told by my SA at Concorde motors diary circle that they are delivering about 2-3 per week from their outlet alone. Couple that with the higher demand and waiting time for the automatic variants, I think the numbers will surely grow in the upcoming days.
Kishen.padiyar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 12:40   #1885
BHPian

Rshnvjy, I also agree with your observation that for me ergonomics are spot on , but again I am 6 feet plus so that tells me they are spot on may be for taller drivers. I don't need a height adjustment on seats and hand rest was very much usable for me.
Anuruddhs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 12:55   #1886
BHPian

Quote:
Finally, I had some spare time to take an extensive, proper TD of the XT 4x2 MT demo car at the nearest dealership.
My observations, with comparisons based on my extensive TDs of the XTA 4x2 and my current steed, the Creta SX+ (Lazarus).
- Comparatively, the AT's footwell is MUCH better with plenty of space between the A & B pedals, and the nice footrest on the left side providing ample free space for the left leg to rest on.
- I shifted the gears about, and felt that the 1st gear was too far out from the normal reach of the driver. - The AT is a completely different cup of tea. Need I say why?
- Started the car and moved out. Coming from the Creta, the Hexa's steering felt tougher to deal with at slow, crawling speeds.
Still debating, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rshnvjy View Post
Sir, I noticed many people have complained about the ergonomics, yet many, including me and my dad have thought that the ergonomics are spot on.
@RavenAvi (also to @rshnjy)
I agree with most of the points that you put down from your test drive experience. I wanted to talk about a few that are chosen above.
With regards to the ergonomics. I have actually never felt too bothered in any car. I am 179 cm in height and regularly drive an i10 and an Aveo. In my opinion, the ergonomics can’t be too far off from universally accepted levels in any car. When I have to switch between the i10 and the Aveo, there are always a few seconds / minutes of getting used to the new arrangement of things. Aveo being a more laid back driving position as compared to the more upright i10. I have always been able to get used to new cars quite easily and not “felt” that there was an issue with ergonomics.
Having said that, the gear throws of the manual Hexa are just unusually long and not accurate at all. It wasn’t fun to drive even though it has an easy clutch. It felt a little “slushy” like my Aveo’s gear shifts. The AT is my choice overall for sure as I am not even a weekend warrior and will definitely not need off-roading abilities in my car.
Quote:
Any idea where these are selling? Our monthly data does not come broken down by regions or states, but it would be an interesting reading. Are there supply constraints? What is the waiting period? Any thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishen.padiyar View Post
I stay in the outskirts of Bangalore (Electronic City) and do not travel much inside the city and yet I have spotted around 15 Hexas so far and this number is excluding 8 of my friends who have Hexas (we have a Whatsapp group for Aria and Hexa owners of Bangalore). Though not ground breaking numbers like the Innova or even the new Fortuner, I would say that the sales are pretty good. I was told by my SA at Concorde motors diary circle that they are delivering about 2-3 per week from their outlet alone. Couple that with the higher demand and waiting time for the automatic variants, I think the numbers will surely grow in the upcoming days.
I see quite a few in the Mumbai, Thane areas that I frequent. I have seen a few regularly in Thane and some in the dense areas of Andheri East. The owners seem to always have a big smile of their faces :-)
mostlynerd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 15:45   #1887

Quote:
This thread is probably among the ones that notched the highest number of views and posts in the shortest time. Shows how interesting this product is.
=======
Are there supply constraints? What is the waiting period? Any thoughts?
Hi Naresh,
I booked a Hexa XTA on 11th of March with Aadya Motors. SA told that the waiting period for XTA variant would be 8 weeks. In less than 6 weeks, I got my blue HEXA XTA ( on 21st April ).
SA told that in the same week they had delivered 3 vehicles.
Soon you will see more on Bangalore roads.

While my vehicle was getting ready for delivery, the next (white one ) is standing
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-20170421_164948.jpg  

radkrish_1978 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 17:55   #1888
BHPian

how much the side steps costed and whats are the other accessories you can get actually in showroom not just on brochure.
Old 25th April 2017, 19:04   #1889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radkrish_1978 View Post
Hi Naresh,
SA told that in the same week they had delivered 3 vehicles.
Soon you will see more on Bangalore roads.

While my vehicle was getting ready for delivery, the next (white one ) is standing
Congratulations. This is indeed a very nice color. Very similar to the BMW blue and looks good on this size.

Yes. I sure want to see more of these on the roads. Finally a good looking capable Car from Tata. Hope the cab market does not take to it.

Last edited by nareshtrao : 25th April 2017 at 19:05.
nareshtrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2017, 10:01   #1890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuruddhs View Post
how much the side steps costed and whats are the other accessories you can get actually in showroom not just on brochure.
Hi,
I fitted following accessories from showroom for Rs. 23000/-
1. Side steps with clamps ( Rs. 19000/- )
2. Chrome strips for side cladding
Tata Hexa : Official Review-sidesteps.jpg
3. Bumper corner protector
Tata Hexa : Official Review-cornerprotector.jpg

We can get following other accessories from showroom
Sun roof
Tata Hexa : Official Review-img20170418wa0011.jpg
Roof top carrier
Tata Hexa : Official Review-img20170418wa0008.jpg
all chrome garnish
Tata Hexa : Official Review-img20170418wa0012.jpg
Tata Hexa : Official Review-img20170418wa0006.jpg