Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2017, 15:58   #1126
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Tata has shot themselves on the foot again with Hexa's pricing.

What does Tata Motors think of themselves?

That they are a Toyota? a Hyundai?

P.S: I'm sorry if I sounded a bit harsh, I do not want to sugar coat anything.
Hello! Dear If I go by your philosophy then apart from the brands you mentioned no other has right to price their cars competitively.

Just to mention here Hyundai's Sanata Fe is also a big failure if we compare its sales vs competition. Do you think Hyundai will do a price cut of 5-6L on SantaFe also to establish it in market.

There can be many other examples like Trailblazer,Captiva,Yeti,Koleos etc For complete information see: 2016 Report Card - Annual Indian Car Sales & Analysis! thread.

But that doesn't mean these cars should be priced significantly lower.

I feel building brand image is a long term goal but improving on quality and features is a short term goal which Tata has achieved with its recent launches(Zest, Tiago & Hexa).

Now coming to Hexa it is priced decently and is much better in comparison to its competitors. Hence there is no reason to price it much lower and with AMC packages I can sense 5 year of peaceful ownership experience.

Last but not least when some senior members like GTO and other members are vouching for Hexa ride quality and features then there must be something really interesting in it.
roby_dk is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 16:52   #1127
BHPian

Quote:
Now that I'm done with writing what's wrong with Tata, I do not want to go without giving them some advice.

Immediately cut the prices by 2 lakhs for every variant comparable to XUV variants.

Advertise your car with the prices mentioned big and bold next to the car.

And, do not forget to pray to God.

P.S: I'm sorry if I sounded a bit harsh, I do not want to sugar coat anything.
Looking at such suggestions, its good that you are where you are! And experienced designers and MBA resources are in TATA to bring the Hexa to where it is now.
If tata had undercut xuv by 2L, i bet, you yourself would have said " tata has shot themselves in da blah blah blah, its a cheap product hence a cheap price".

Now unless you want this thread closed by the mods, please do save your valuable suggestions to tata until there's an ownership thread or a "stupid tata with their stupid hexa" thread.
Lets focus on the product rather than the brand as its a "product review" thread.

Coming to gold and silver packages, i feel it would be very helpful for people who travel a lot. For normal city usage with once a week tours, i think even the silver package is a bit costly.
abhi7013 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 16:54   #1128
BHPian

Quote:

What does Tata Motors think of themselves?

That they are a Toyota? a Hyundai?
If you would have taken the pain to see the car in flesh, I guess you would not have made this statement. If you make this statement after seeing the car, your perception of quality and value are perhaps different from mine .
The Hexa is a brilliant vehicle in all respects. The road presence is phenomenal. Creta and Duster look like hatchbacks when parked beside it. Inside, the plastics are comparable ( at least ) to the C segment sedans if not the Mercedes or BMW range of cars. I am not a fanboy. I understand, appreciate and promote value. The fact that an Indian company brought out a brilliantly designed product that would be looked upon with envy even in the first world makes me happy. Here, I30 and Sonatas are the most badly abused Taxis, but that's a topic for another thread.
I humbly request you to explore what the Hexa has to offer before sharing a negative perspective. The fact that an average Indian looks at badge value more than the actual value should not cloud your judgement.
Nissan1180 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 17:33   #1129
BHPian

So I decided to bite the bullet and booked the Tata Hexa XM in Sky Grey. I would have loved to pick up the XT 4X2 variant just for the six airbags, but its a whopping 3 lakhs more than the XM on road! That is a bit hard to digest! Maybe Tata could have made the 19 inchers and the Leather Upholstery an optional extra so that they could have priced it a bit less. And it's also a shame that the humble Tata Tiago has an optional safety pack, where you get to pick dual front airbags and abs in any trim, but the premium Hexa doesn't have an option of six airbags in the mid or base variant.

And now the wait begins! And to any of you who wants to know, I was looking for a car since November 2015 and started with the Ford Ecosport.
esoticoreventon is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 17:35   #1130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tata, please understand your reputation is rock bottom and it takes several years of consistent delivery of high quality products and service to build a good reputation.
Certainly not in its nadir anymore. They're climbing back and IMHO doing well at the moment.

Quote:
Tata should have undercut the XUV by at least 2 lakhs across every variant. If that means losses, so be it.

Immediately cut the prices by 2 lakhs for every variant comparable to XUV variants. Advertise your car with the prices mentioned big and bold next to the car.
What kind of "strategy" is this? First of all, the XUV is a SUV and I own one. When we were in the market for a big 7-seater SUV, the cars we looked at then were the Fortuner, the Endevour and the XUV. When we visited the Toyota showroom and I still remember very well, we never asked anything about the Innova, nor they mentioned it.

Those who are buying SUVs will not consider Innova and Hexa. They'll be looking at the Creta and Tucson, of course.

Hexa should -and will- target the Crysta and the Lodgy. XUV belongs to the Safari territory.

Quote:
The 19 inchers and the headlamps are the elements that makeBut how many of the customers are going to buy the 22 Lakhs top variant. Without those and along with the MPV looks, the base and mid variants, which will be the major seller, will look pretty ordinary and run-of-the-mill on the roads, and will fail to attract customers to the showrooms.
Well, there are people who love bling factors and people who equally love cars without any such eye candy. A doctor in my relation replaces her daily drive every third year. All her cars are basic, entry-level WagonR cars. But she replaces them dutifully every 37th month with another WR with the lowest trim.

Quote:
I expect Hexa to be a sales dud.
It will sell far better than Aria, the outgoing one, for the first 6 months. If, by that time Tata can create an aura and a good word-of-mouth, it'll sell well for it's price.

Quote:
A Linea rides like a 35 Lakhs rupee sedan. Sales dud. Reason - Fiat's lack of reputation. Even the legendary build quality and special design couldn't save it.
I am a proud owner of top-end Fiat cars since 2010 and according to me, the Linea is a dated product. There are umpteen other cars are available in the market to choose from. Fiat has basically only two cars. I'd compare them with Force motors and not with Tata.

Quote:
Hey doesn't it have premium interiors?
No. Certainly not. You can't repaint something and sell it as new.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 1st February 2017 at 17:37.
sandeepmdas is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 17:48   #1131
BHPian

Quote:

Why should I give a chance with my money for a company that doesn't even have the ability to do a proper analysis for a product launch?

Immediately cut the prices by 2 lakhs for every variant comparable to XUV variants.
So, you would give your money if the price was cut down by 2 lakh? Let me guess, with the 2L price cut, it fits within your budget, isn't it?

I would love a price like that too, so the Hexa can be my next car instead of an automatic C sedan.
prakash_ajp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 18:11   #1132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post

Those who are buying SUVs will not consider Innova and Hexa. They'll be looking at the Creta and Tucson, of course.

Hexa should -and will- target the Crysta and the Lodgy. XUV belongs to the Safari territory.
I'm looking for an SUV since two years and i agree with a part of what you said. That we do not look at innova or lodgy or ertiga.
However, Hexa is comparable and is definitely in line with the XUV. Tata wanted to prove it and hence all the demos in various hexa experience centers.
Me and many more like me will definitely compare the xuv and hexa, the evidence for which can be found in plenty. Both are not true SUVs however.
And you definitely cannot compare xuv with the likes of fortuner and endeavour!
abhi7013 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 19:15   #1133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
Coming to gold and silver packages, i feel it would be very helpful for people who travel a lot. For normal city usage with once a week tours, i think even the silver package is a bit costly.
IMHO the gold AMC offers complete peace of mind! Worth the money, especially for a new product. I know the hexa is not completely new. But with a lot of new parts, you never know. You risk spending a lot more without it in the long run!
Old 1st February 2017, 19:31   #1134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And you definitely cannot compare xuv with the likes of fortuner and endeavour!

I know, but I am almost into the territory of big Germans, price-wise, when I consider fortuner and endeavour. If I were in the market today, and in pure layman's logic, why should I buy a Ford for the price of a German?

The man on the street, and most of your family/friends will not see what the Ford has to offer. For them, owning an Audi or a Merc, big deal. The same logic applies to Skoda Superb too.
Old 1st February 2017, 20:15   #1135
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
There can be many other examples like Trailblazer,Captiva,Yeti,Koleos etc For complete information see: 2016 Report Card - Annual Indian Car Sales & Analysis! thread.

But that doesn't mean these cars should be priced significantly lower.

I feel building brand image is a long term goal but improving on quality and features is a short term goal which Tata has achieved with its recent launches(Zest, Tiago & Hexa).

Now coming to Hexa it is priced decently and is much better in comparison to its competitors. Hence there is no reason to price it much lower
Quote:
If tata had undercut xuv by 2L, i bet, you yourself would have said " tata has shot themselves in da blah blah blah, its a cheap product hence a cheap price".
Quote:
Me and many more like me will definitely compare the xuv and hexa, the evidence for which can be found in plenty. Both are not true SUVs however.
with every single word these gentlemen has written.

Quote:
"It is better to be attacked, even slandered, than ignored"

One can't help if you have to post anything, just for the sake of posting. But I appreciate your selection of thread and words. As of now, you have gained as much attention on TBHP Hexa official review thread - as much the car itself has.

Quote:
What does Tata Motors think of themselves? That they are a Toyota? a Hyundai?
They think of themselves as 'Tata Motors', had they thought of themselves as Toyota of Hyundai, they would have added some blingy (But useless) features and priced it above 20 lac - in Toyota and Hyundai fashion.

Quote:
Tata, please understand your reputation is rock bottom and it takes several years of consistent delivery of high quality products and service to build a good reputation.
Quality doesn't come cheap, sir. If you want a high quality product, you will have to pay.

Toyota Innova Crysta has just become the most profitable car selling in India, at least Tata isn't charging as mad margins.

Quote:
Tiago was your first decent effort after a long time. Do not tell me, "Hey see the Tiago is good". No, the design is very ordinary and the car is rapidly going down on the sales chart.
We love numbers, don't we? This is the Team-BHP and we have very well written and information loaded 'monthly sales numbers' threads. I would request you to take some pain, visit those threads and make a quick sales trend chart for Tiago sales. If the curve comes out to have a negative overall slope, then Tiago is a failure, and I take all my words back. If it comes out to be neutral or positive, then you take your words back.

Quote:
Again, do not say, "the Celerio is ugly". You are not Maruti!
Celerio is not ugly, it's just that Tiago is better - in and out.

Quote:
Tata should have undercut the XUV by at least 2 lakhs across every variant. If that means losses, so be it. You got to toil hard to build reputation in this cut-throat competition.
C'mon man, at least don't be unfair to Tata to this level at least. Why should they take losses, and that up to 2 lakh? Their product is every way better than XUV. You can argue that XUV has more features, believe me; it takes a lot of money to get better dynamics. Hexa offers everything you need, XUV will satisfy your desires too, but Hexa is a more comfortable vehicle overall.

Quote:
I expect Hexa to be a sales dud.

Quote:
Someone here said, "Why not we give a chance to Tata and Hexa, as they have just launched it"
No one is giving them a chance, people who are moving ahead with their booking - they are the ones who have experienced the car, that also quite well.

Quote:
Why should I give a chance with my money for a company that doesn't even have the ability to do a proper analysis for a product launch?
Please present the market survey you have conducted, your words have a confidence. I am expecting that they are backed by a thorough analysis. Please provide the analysis report with sample size and the conditions for sample selection.

Quote:
Hey, doesn't it rides like a 50 lakhs rupee car?
It does, and even betters some of them.

Quote:
A Linea rides like a 35 Lakhs rupee sedan. Sales dud. Reason - Fiat's lack of reputation. Even the legendary build quality and special design couldn't save it.
That special design is very old now and with the alarming rate at which Fiat dealers are wrapping up, who would risk their money on it?

Quote:
Now that I'm done with writing what's wrong with Tata, I do not want to go without giving them some advice.
Thanks for the advice for Tata guys, I hope they consider your advise and then decide if to follow it or not.

Quote:
Why 2? Let's ask them to provide it at the price of a Duster. What you opine?

Quote:
And, do not forget to pray to God.
Will that help with better sales?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
why should I buy a Ford for the price of a German?
For this reason:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...r-returns.html
VKumar is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 20:23   #1136
BHPian

A friend and I were discussing the Hexa and something interesting popped-up which I thought of sharing here.

Not too long back - this sold for almost 19+L (on-road BLR for the top-end variant). Not just sold, but a big hit selling 5K copies a month.

Tata Hexa : Official Review-toyotainnovafacelift01.jpg

If you refer the Team-BHP review, the strengths were
• Indestructible build & durability. The Innova is known for its bullet-proof reliability
• Spacious, flexible interiors. An extremely comfortable long distance commuter
• Segment-best interior fit, finish & quality. Superior to the Xylo, Evalia etc.
• Diesel engine has excellent driveability on tap
• Balanced handling & road manners. Car-like to drive

• Toyota’s fuss-free ownership experience & excellent after-sales

Leaving out the first and the last, the Hexa XM beats this in all other strengths, at a much lower price point. Yes, the reliability is still a question mark, but AMC should hopefully take care of 5 years of ownership.

To say its good-for-nothing at its current pricing, is (quite) harsh, IMHO.

DISCLAIMER: I have not driven the HEXA, but my opinion is purely based on what I have read on TeamBHP and elsewhere.

Last edited by sachinayak : 1st February 2017 at 20:24.
sachinayak is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 21:25   #1137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Yes, the reliability is still a question mark, but AMC should hopefully take care of 5 years of ownership.
This is the most prominent fact. If TASS cannot resolve issues on their flagship product on timely manner, the fate of Hexa can be predicted easily.

I did a visit to one of their local service centers in Kerala. I could see 5 of their previous flagship product stuck there in the yard. This number was more than other single model present there. The reasons they mentioned are fairly understandable - waiting for parts. But, given the condition of vehicles, I can see that they were stranded there at least for 3+ months without any movement. On a second thought, it makes sense as Tata may not be producing parts for a product that is selling in low numbers. It's a spiraling effect.

When they charge AMC and for extended warranty, will Tata make sure that they vehicles are serviced on time?

This indeed is one of the major concerns for people like me, who live on single car.

I am very much hopeful that Hexa build is better with all their experience with previous model and is more reliable. There were no reports so far on features that are not working on test drive cars. That itself is a good sign as per this manufacturer standards.

Last edited by NaTuRe : 1st February 2017 at 21:28.
NaTuRe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 21:35   #1138
BHPian

I am in the market looking for a MUV / SUV and i had shortlisted the fortuner, crysta, endeavour. I was aware of the Hexa launch, but never seriously considered it. My memories of TATA were from my school day when dad had a TATA estate. Very spacious, decent ride but most days there were electrical problems.

So coming to 2017. My good friend who is a TATA fan suggested i seriously look at the HEXA along with the rest. So i ended up in the TATA showroom first.

First impressions:

TATA has come a long way from their estates and sierras. The quality of the car is very good and the car looks very cool.

The doors feel solid and heavy and the interiors are black and feel good. There were a few things like the inetrior light switches and door unlock knobs which were jiggly and felt like they would break in a weeks time. Not cool TATA considering that many other parts are solid and feel amazing to touch and use.

The HEXA coordinator was very courteous and knowledgable and he seemed to know what he was talking. I was offered a TD of the manual as the automatic was away on another TD.

TD impressions:

No streeing reach adjustment. I had to reach for the steering from my position. There is no place to place your left foot. Considering that this vehicle will be used mostly as a highway cruiser it is a glaring error in this car. I was not quite comfortable during the 20 min TD.

All controls fall easily to hand and the engine is reasonable quite and sounds refined. I guess my 320d is more noisy.

The car rides or rather glides on our roads. the ride is very composed and flat. I was super impressed with the ride from the back seat also and the captain seats are also very comfortable.

The engine has a bit of lag and the GB has to be worked a bit to keep the engine in its powerband. The clutch was light and the gearshift quality itself was not bad, though a wee bit rubbery. Its a gear box one can easily live with. The steering though is a bit heavy and can tire people in dense traffic.

Visibility was good and it was easy to place the car in traffic. But the car feels heavy and nimble is a word that is not in HEXA world. Its more like a big boat that needs to be steered to change directions. Just feels heavy to change direction.

One point that really dissappointed me were the brakes. The car nose dives and the brakes are not at all reassuring. I dont know if it was a problem with this particular car, but the pedal travel was long and the car took a long time to stop from 60kmph with 2 people. I dont think i would be comfortable in this car in an emergency situation at 100kmph with 6 pax.

Overall, a great product from TATA. I think they could have concentrated on the driver seating and comfort a bit more.

Will i buy it?

I seriously dont know.

I drove the crysta the same day. Couldnt drive the fortuner and endy though.

The crysta 2.4 feels like a gazelle when compared to the HEXA, very nimble. But the crysta has a relatively firm ride and is noisier. And Toyota has given a excuse of an ICE for the crysta. the sound quality is poor.

Will drive the fortuner and endy this week and reminisce.

Points in favour of the HEXA compared to my other alternatives:
1. Price. XT with all safety features is cheaper than the base versions of the competition.
2. Ride quality and solid feel
3. Nice ICE
4. 19 inch wheels (apparently each tyre costs about 20k to replace)
5. 5 yr standard warranty as told by the HEXA guy
6. Nice black interiors and comfy seats.

Against:
1. TATA service and reliability of the electronics
2. Bit sluggish
3. Heavy to manoeuvre inside the city.
4. The driver seat comfort.

happy motoring.
differential is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 23:01   #1139
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
had they thought of themselves as Toyota of Hyundai, they would have added some blingy (But useless) features and priced it above 20 lac - in Toyota and Hyundai fashion.
Really? I think Toyota gives the least features anywhere and TATA will load their cars with every possible gizmo, most of these become a problem later on and then people complain.

Quote:
Toyota Innova Crysta has just become the most profitable car selling in India, at least Tata isn't charging as mad margins.
That's a News, I am sure you are aware of the difference in Turnover & Profits or Do you have access to internal data of TATA & Toyota? I have not seen model vise profitability report from any manufacturer.

I see yours and others enthusiasm towards a new product from TATA but we all should not get so excited just because of some VFM features or product, this is not something that we want to keep at home. It will run on the road and reliability & overall service satisfaction is equally important to the product.

Last edited by Turbanator : 1st February 2017 at 23:16.
Turbanator is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 23:10   #1140
BANNED

Thanks for correcting me @turbanator, I guess with thoughts quickly running in the mind and fingers putting them down, I made a mistake.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks