Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2017, 06:27   #1141
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

The reasons why I choose Hexa vs XUV 5oo and Innova Crysta

1. Hexa has hydroformed chassis. Advantage is superior chassis stiffness, which I could realize with hexa's ride quaility. Very pliant and dismisses road undulations in style

Name:  Hydro.png
Views: 7359
Size:  338.1 KB

2. Captain seats. It was an absolute must as my parents are old and this car is primarily for long drives. Supremely comfortable and has lumbar support. Best part is it is movable, I can define my 2nd and 3rd row leg room.

3. CAN bus architecture is used in the Hexa. Tata has taken time to hone it, but in the Hexa it is well executed with inputs from Land rover team. More about it below

Name:  can.png
Views: 6590
Size:  86.6 KB

4. No vibrations when the vehicle is in drive mode. I could feel this in the XUV 5oo. The moment I placed the gear lever in drive mode, I felt mild vibration on the steering wheel.

5. Engine noise is high in the automatic variant of the XUV 5oo, which is not the case with Hexa. Engine noise is very well controlled.

6. With all three rows in place Hexa has decent boot space. People are complaining that the 3rd row is not falling flat, but I observed that in the crysta when you fold the 3rd row, even it eats up the boot space as they fold towards the side. If I have to transport a washing machine I cannot do it. It was surprising that no one has a problem with it.

7. Tata is moving up the in the JD power survery, which means it is making progress in terms of quality and ownership experience.

Name:  jd.png
Views: 6659
Size:  93.4 KB

8. I spoke to a couple of my close friends in Tata Motors and they say every part used in this car is of high quality. No substandard parts were used. The know-how from Land rover is used to build the Hexa. This gives me confidence to buy the car. I also believe in " Seeing is believing". The car is really a Drool Maal. Hats off to Pratap and team. Stunning design. You feel that you want to own that car the moment you see it. Would love to commute to work in an Hexa rather than a Van (Crysta)

9. I would never have bought if the car did not have AT. Like many have posted, I too did not like the MT, it is still not perfect. Especially the gear box.

10. In the AT version, turbo lag is very well masked. Hexa can easily hit a 120 to 140, which is my normal cruising speed on the highways. At 120, the RPM was around 2000. So the engine is very relaxed, which aids in FE.

11. When I went to the Hexa experience in Bangalore, the car in which I went had 13745 KMS on the ODO. There was not squeaks or rattling from any where. Am I sure those cars would be properly abused. So from inside I am confident that the car will last for some time.

13. All round disc brakes, Soft touch materials, contrast stitching for seats, fit and finish, awesome music system, lovely steering wheel, black interiors, stunning design. All these convinced me to buy the Hexa. To top it, my whole family liked the car.

Note: These are my personal opinions after driving the car.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 2nd February 2017 at 08:18. Reason: typo corrected
power_slave77 is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 07:48   #1142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by power_slave77 View Post

11. When I went to the Hexa experience in Bangalore, the car in which I went had 13745 KMS on the ODO. There was not squeaks or rattling from any where. Am I sure those cars would be properly abused. So from inside I am confident that the car will last for some time.
Wow! This is what was required. Explanations with facts and figures. To some who say its loaded with features just to be "kept at home" and reliability is a question, you really have to take some time out instead of typing on your keyboard and go out there and drive it.
The car i drove had clocked 16k kms. In such a short time i was surprised how they managed to drive so much. And its not driven by just one or two guys for 16k kms! The car was simply amazing, with very low vibrations and you had to strain your ears to know if the engine was running when idle!

Your post has further increased my trust in Hexa!
abhi7013 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 08:35   #1143
BHPian

Quote:
The reasons why I choose Hexa vs XUV 5oo and Innova Crysta

1. Hexa has hydroformed chassis. The advantage is superior chassis stiffness, which I could realize with hexa's ride quaility. Very pliant and dismisses road undulations in style
The Aria, Storme, Scorpio, TUV also have the Hydroformed Chassis. Eventually, it is the final balance and the tuning along with the seats that decides the ride quality.

I give credit to the entire suspension, steering, tyres, chassis, and of course the centre of gravity for the amazing ride quality.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 08:59   #1144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
Wow! This is what was required. Explanations with facts and figures. To some who say its loaded with features just to be "kept at home" and reliability is a question, you really have to take some time out instead of typing on your keyboard and go out there and drive it.
The car i drove had clocked 16k kms. In such a short time i was surprised how they managed to drive so much. And its not driven by just one or two guys for 16k kms! The car was simply amazing, with very low vibrations and you had to strain your ears to know if the engine was running when idle!

Your post has further increased my trust in Hexa!
Some of us did leave our keyboards and bought a Tata car. Unfortunately for us, we were soon kicking ourselves. I hope that you put your money where your mouth is and buy a Tata car, use it for a year and then comment.
Lalvaz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 09:12   #1145
BANNED

There are few posts which make you sit, login and reply to them, even when you are getting late for your work. Let me appreciate you buddy, this is indeed one of the most usable posts I have read in a couple of previous pages.

Quote:

6. With all three rows in place Hexa has decent boot space. People are complaining that the 3rd row is not falling flat, but I observed that in the crysta when you fold the 3rd row, even it eats up the boot space as they fold towards the side. If I have to transport a washing machine I cannot do it. It was surprising that no one has a problem with it.
Let me add a bit of my observations. No say, you have to carry a window AC or Washing machine with 4 on board, then these are are options.

Seat back tumbled, no flat floor - an issue
Tata Hexa : Official Review-cr1.jpg

Basically, in a Crysta, if you carry a window AC or washing machine; the third row will have to be tied up. You can carry your item but your middle row passengers lose the recline option. Now...
Tata Hexa : Official Review-cr3.jpg

Try the same in Hexa But..
Tata Hexa : Official Review-cr4.jpg

Hexa also has a drawback, Innova Crysta seatback tied up and second row folded - this is to show that 2 people can even carry a bigger cargo in 6 seater Crysta, not possible for Hexa with captain seats - the 7 seater can do.
Tata Hexa : Official Review-cr2.jpg

Quote:
This part is indeed very encouraging to read.

Last edited by VKumar : 2nd February 2017 at 09:14.
VKumar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 09:17   #1146
Senior - BHPian

I think the expectation that Hexa be as reliable as Toyota or even close is asking too much. Nothing even from the best manufacturers around the world is, especially when it comes to ladder framed (hyfrofromed or not) Toyota's. Ladder framed Toyota's are known to outlast their owners with even basic maintenance.

There is a reason why Hilux is the best selling Ute around the world and it is an extremely difficult, if not an impossible act to follow. To get that level of reliability from something which has so many moving parts requires not only serious engineering but everything has to come together from part suppliers to factory workers who assemble the car to the R&D and test engineers to what not.

Even if Hexa turns out be reasonably reliable, Tata would have done its job. Tata has done it in the past with the Tata 407 to fend of Japanese LCV's so it is not that they cannot do it but lets keep the expectations in check.
extreme_torque is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 09:51   #1147
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Some of us did leave our keyboards and bought a Tata car. Unfortunately for us, we were soon kicking ourselves. I hope that you put your money where your mouth is and buy a Tata car, use it for a year and then comment.
I did and never regretted for the past 8 years. First 5.5 years with Indica Vista (very first batch out of factory) for 92000 KM and now with ARIA Pure LX( again first batch of refreshed version) past 2.5 years for 45000 km including Bangalore-Leh-Bangalore trip of 8800 Km for 25 days.
rkg is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 09:57   #1148
BHPian

Wow! This thread seems to be generating a lot of passion and heat.

My 2 cents, let us probably stick to the merits of car itself and not delve too much into the credentials of the manufacturer. It does steer the conversation away to a point where it becomes highly subjective based on individual experience. I think everyone here agrees that Hexa as a product is engineered well. Now the reliability and A.S.S are the points to be watch out for.

We also need to realize that certain refinements and ergonomics in some of the most successful vehicles has not come upfront. It has taken a couple of versions and probably, several years before they have sorted out the niggles. I don't think Hexa can be an exception here either.

But nice to see such active participation from people with diverse background and opinion here. Kudos...
anthiltg is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 10:14   #1149
BHPian

Quote:
What is it you are pointing out here? We are having a Zest XMA diesel from the first batch and we love it. It cost 8L on road in 2014 and nothing comes close in VFM equation. Where its being used in UP, there are no roads and its raised GC help a lot. On the other hand, ride is unmatchable by any car this side of the mighty Linea. Also, we haven't taken it to the service center for anything more than usual services. So what's your point?
itsashishsharma is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 10:44   #1150
BHPian

Bought my ZEST XMS revotron in mid of 2015. Already approaching 52,000 kms on the odometer. Every kilometer has been brilliant. It still drives like a dream and my friends and relatives are still surprised every time they sit in it. It's spoilt me silly so much, that cars from segments above don't impress me any more.
fuelinmyveins is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 10:46   #1151
BHPian

Quote:
We bought an Indica Vista in 2008, A Manza in 2011 and A Zest XMA in 2015. All three are going strong with no issues.
Only one warranty claim on the three vehicles combined: replacement of MID of the Manza.

My father-in-law is using the Vista at 1,10,000+ KM. He uses it to go around to check on his agriculture in the rural areas of Krishna district where there are no roads at some places. Believe me he even carries bales of hay in the car with the rear seat folded down. All shock absorbers replaced at 90,000+ KM otherwise no issues at all.

I used the Manza for 4+years 70,000 KM and now my part time business partner is using it to ferry customers to housing projects. It is at 90,000 + KM now and is being driven by multiple drivers for the past year. Front bumper replaced in a minor accident early on and front shock absorbers replaced at 84,000+ Km, otherwise no issues. It is soldiering on famously.

I am using the Zest XMA for the past two years, 34,000+ KM and I find it supremely comfortable and totally reliable. Rear bumper and left tail lamp assembly replaced due to a minor accident, otherwise no issues at all.

Last edited by Enobarbus : 2nd February 2017 at 10:47.
Enobarbus is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 11:08   #1152
BHPian

Valid points. Agree with you on most of the points.
Old 2nd February 2017, 11:08   #1153
BHPian

Quote:
Forget about me for a while. (Although two of my uncles have the same model indica, 10 years old, still running).
Looking at the few posts that follow yours from owners, it would be wise for you to refrain from using harsh terms!
It won't be long now when a mod closes this thread.
Lets stick to Hexa!

Ps: Only two hexas sold from prerana motors, Bangalore. Anybody with a rough estimate with total sales? Would love to know what number my hexa would be!
abhi7013 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 11:14   #1154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
There are few posts which make you sit, login and reply to them, even when you are getting late for your work. Let me appreciate you buddy, this is indeed one of the most usable posts I have read in a couple of previous pages.

Let me add a bit of my observations. No say, you have to carry a window AC or Washing machine with 4 on board, then these are are options.

Seat back tumbled, no flat floor - an issue
Attachment 1603273

Basically, in a Crysta, if you carry a window AC or washing machine; the third row will have to be tied up. You can carry your item but your middle row passengers lose the recline option. Now...
Attachment 1603275

Try the same in Hexa But..
Attachment 1603276

Hexa also has a drawback, Innova Crysta seatback tied up and second row folded - this is to show that 2 people can even carry a bigger cargo in 6 seater Crysta, not possible for Hexa with captain seats - the 7 seater can do.
Attachment 1603274

This part is indeed very encouraging to read.

I think some people will never appreciate anything from Tata Motors. I mean on a responsible platform like Team BHP, please refrain from making such sweeping statements. It's accepted by everyone that TASS is hit or miss. But that does not mean that everything is missed.
speedguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 11:42   #1155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I think the expectation that Hexa be as reliable as Toyota or even close is asking too much...
Come out of perception mate with reality and by experiencing the product itself. Just commenting same thing again and again which you might have heard from someone, who never experienced Tata cars.

Please tell me what do you mean by reliability? Can you give example in forum itself when majority of people taking outstation trip in Tata cars and being stranded almost always (as per your statement) as it is unreliable car.

I am using Safari Dicor for past 6.5 years and have taken up numerous interstate travel (day & night) towards north / west / east / south from south of India. Have visited many states. Not a single time I have faced any Tata reliability issue. I have dozens of friend who drive Safari, Storme, Aria in treacherous of terrain throughout of India. I have never heard from them that Tata cars are not reliable.

Also, I would like to let you know that all through 6.5 years of my Safari Dicor ownership, my maintenance cost is only around 75K including all mandatory services / recommended oil changes / preventive maintenance etc. Which comes around 1.15 Rs. per Km considering current ODO reading of 65K. If you don't believe you are most welcome to check my car's service history. Even friend with Santro of same age spent much more than my Safari on their regular maintenance.

If you talk about first gen Indica / Indigo / Safari only for unreliable perspective, I would certainly agree. But not anymore with another products apart from above.

I would certainly go for Hexa may be next year. Considering the fact that:
1. Well priced and well packaged vs. price ratio.
2. Extremely reliable car (with my past experience and experience with friends and family).
3. Tata cars are extremely spacious. Good for family and long trips.
4. Power > 150 Bhp and 400NM of torque. Excellent engine.
5. Very comfortable ride over long time.
6. Long service interval.

What more one can ask for?
anujmishra is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks