Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2017, 22:35   #1216
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Okay guys, if this is not fleecing, then I don't know what is. One of my whatsapp contacts has yesterday taken the delivery of his car, as per the invoice, he has paid with a car which has 5 19 inch rims shod with 235/55 rubber. This is how his car's spare wheel looks like:
Reviews mentioned that it has 5 alloy wheels. That was one of the reason I decided to go for the car in first batch as they start cutting down these things in the mid cycle upgrades.

I will check my car and also the invoice, will also speak to customer care. And if there is no 5th alloy wheel then I will rethink. This clearly has shaken my confidence.

TAMO you need to pull your socks and clear this ambiguity.

-PK

Last edited by bblost : 8th February 2017 at 00:35. Reason: fixed quote
Old 7th February 2017, 22:41   #1217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk_del View Post
Reviews mentioned that it has 5 alloy wheels.
Do not think reviews should be viewed as a source for absolute specifications, as these are pre-production models (many a times reviews do carry appropriate disclosures that specifications may change before the vehicle gets into production).

That said, if the receipt says 5 alloy wheels, then this is DEFINITE cheating.

On a related note, sharing my transcript on the Hexa Chat (masking names to avoid any issues).

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 6015
Size:  29.8 KB
sachinayak is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 23:08   #1218
BHPian

You can easily hold the Dealer responsible for cheating and may consider threatening legal action (including criminal action) for such misrepresentation. A consumer complaint may also be a good option by making both the Dealer and TML parties in the event the owners are denied both refund or an alloy wheel. Such transcript from Hexa Chat support may also be used as evidence to contradict the statement in the invoice. It's unfortunate to say the least.
Old 7th February 2017, 23:47   #1219
BHPian

I also remember reading reviews quoting its 5 alloys and was impressed. But during both my test drives, I asked the SA if it was an alloy spare and was promptly quoted the truth that it was a steel rim. So I doubt if factory fits the spare alloy at all. I don't think dealer malpractice by swapping is involved here.

Since the invoice says clearly 5 alloy wheels, the matter must be taken up seriously and escalated. The pioneer buyers of the first gen Hexa should be shown some respect and gratitude by TML. please do update this thread on the result of the complaints.
Old 8th February 2017, 00:25   #1220
BHPian

No big deal. We can make do with steel wheels in case of an unfortunate event. A 5th Alloy Wheel may not be a deciding factor for my purchase of this vehicle (if at all I do). BUT, someone here needs to learn a lesson. TATA has to make sure they are doing it right. If my invoice says 5 Alloys Wheels, then I should get them. No one can take the customer for a ride. TATA has to address this immediately. First they need to take steps to correct all the future invoices. Then, either give a 5th alloy to the existing customers or refund them, WHICHEVER WAY THE CUSTOMER WISHES TO DO. And may be give them some additional perks for the inconvenience caused. They cannot mess things up in this early stage itself.

Last edited by DieselAddikt : 8th February 2017 at 00:27.
Old 8th February 2017, 08:04   #1221
Senior - BHPian

If I recall correct test drive vehicle I checked had spare alloy wheel. It was XTA variant.
Old 8th February 2017, 08:41   #1222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
I felt the same thing on the highway. The SA said that its the turbo whistle. I was not sure, so i reduced speed to 40kmph, and accelerated in 3rd. I could hear the whistle all right, and it resembled an air leak from the door. While up-shifting, however, the sound vanished and appeared again as rpms built up.
Interesting thing is, he said "if you suddenly take your foot off the accelerator pedal, you will hear a "krrk" sound which actually is the sound of turbo fins closing".
Could someone with more knowledge on the same throw some light?

Ps: Am sure he said it employs a VGT. And the sound is audible only if you pay attention.
I dont know if it is a VGT, but I am dead sure it isnt the turbo whistle. I think I can differentiate between the two. The noise was coming even when I lifted off the A Pedal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Turbo kicking in or closing is based on the engine RPM and not to do with accelerator pedal position. However experts can clarify this better.
No. Turbo spools when there is a load on the engine. Load means A pedal pressed down and throttle body open, fresh air entering the engine and fuel being injected and combustion happening

When there is no load on the engine i.e coasting in a higher gear, the turbo will be spinning but not generating much boost.

Last edited by Nikhilb2008 : 8th February 2017 at 08:42.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 10:16   #1223
Team-BHP Support

The chaps at Tata don't help themselves, do they?

This could just be a simple copy-paste data entry error where the guy responsible either wasn't told or forgot to replace 5 with 4 on the invoice template for relevant production models, and it could now blow up into accusations of cheating.

Proof-reading is a dead art nowadays!
Chetan_Rao is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 10:33   #1224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
I felt the same thing on the highway. The SA said that its the turbo whistle. I was not sure, so i reduced speed to 40kmph, and accelerated in 3rd. I could hear the whistle all right, and it resembled an air leak from the door. While up-shifting, however, the sound vanished and appeared again as rpms built up.
Interesting thing is, he said "if you suddenly take your foot off the accelerator pedal, you will hear a "krrk" sound which actually is the sound of turbo fins closing".
Could someone with more knowledge on the same throw some light?

Ps: Am sure he said it employs a VGT. And the sound is audible only if you pay attention.
The "krrr" sound you hear, when lifting off A-pedal, is called turbo flutter. I'm not sure what would cause that in Varicor 400, but if you ask me, it should not be present. Must've been an issue specific to that car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
No. Turbo spools when there is a load on the engine. Load means A pedal pressed down and throttle body open, fresh air entering the engine and fuel being injected and combustion happening
Does Varicor 400 have a throttle body? I doubt. Diesels normally do not have that.

Last edited by black_rider : 8th February 2017 at 10:36.
Old 8th February 2017, 13:07   #1225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
The "krrr" sound you hear, when lifting off A-pedal, is called turbo flutter. I'm not sure what would cause that in Varicor 400, but if you ask me, it should not be present. Must've been an issue specific to that car.

Does Varicor 400 have a throttle body? I doubt. Diesels normally do not have that.
This sound is there in my 2015 Safari storme (Varicor 320nm version) as well. I have reported this earlier and the response I got was that it is normal. Happens mostly in 3rd or 4th gear while suddenly releasing the A-pedal. It doesn't happen when I release the A-Pedal smoothly though. A typical situation where I here it almost often is while overtaking a vehicle and then suddenly reduce speed seeing another vehicle coming from the opposite direction.
BipB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 13:40   #1226
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
Maybe not. I could be wrong.... My turbo petrol has one, so I just assumed.

But in any case, with no load on the engine, turbo whistle cannot be present.

Quote:
On the highway, we put the car in Dynamic mode and could immediately feel the suspension become firmer. Especially at high speed, the car felt much more planted. I dont think I felt any difference in the throttle response or steering. If Tata have programmed those, I need a longer test drive.
It was pointed out to me that the Hexa's suspension doesn't change one bit in Dynamic mode! So, clearly, I was enjoying the Hexa too much or it was the Placebo effect making me think the suspension was working better.

So, I would like to clarify this point. The suspension is the same whether in Dynamic or Comfort.

Whatever it is, it handles BEAUTIFULLY and I thoroughly enjoyed driving it!

Last edited by aah78 : 8th February 2017 at 18:44. Reason: Posts merged
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 14:08   #1227
BHPian

This is really unacceptable. This is a case of cheating from TATA. I don't think this to be a dealer's nuisance. I also assumed that spare wheel in Hexa is an alloy not steel.

Why Tata is creating stupid issues with such a nice product. In that case one should carefully check all equipment coming with Hexa before delivery.

I never thought such things can happen in real world. If it is mentioned it has to be present if it is discontinued it should be informed to the customer.

Maybe someone could create a checklist specifically for Hexa apart from the general PDI checklist we have.
roby_dk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 14:20   #1228
BANNED

And another invoice appears, I guess Tata will have a good number of people standing with their invoice for 19 inch spare wheel:
Tata Hexa : Official Review-img20170208wa0014.jpg

@Roby:
In case you need a checklist covering it all, you can use this checklist. It covers the aspects like alloy wheels etc too.

Last edited by VKumar : 8th February 2017 at 14:25.
VKumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 14:22   #1229
BHPian

Quote:
But in any case, with no load on the engine, turbo whistle cannot be present.
Agree to that. I concur with your other statement as well, that the sound you heard was outside air entering through ill-fitted door beading.
black_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 15:25   #1230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
This could just be a simple copy-paste data entry error where the guy responsible either wasn't told or forgot to replace 5 with 4 on the invoice template for relevant production models, and it could now blow up into accusations of cheating.

Proof-reading is a dead art nowadays!
Agree with you completely. "Do it right the first time, every time" is a forgotten motto these days.

About the actual issue, it must be a mistake like you said, because Tata and "cheating" do not fit in the same sentence at all. They would do well to take corrective action before it spirals out of control.

P.S: I am neither a Tata fan boy, nor an owner of a Tata vehicle.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 8th February 2017 at 15:52.
comfortablynumb is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks