Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2018, 23:03   #3841
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Here is a free advise, take it or leave it (I learned this lesson afetr living with SUVs / MUVs for years)
Irrespective of what park assist you have, always dip your left ORVM to lowermost position while reversing, so that it shows the position of your rear tyre and what is behind that. Follow this and you will never hit any kerb or scratch your rear left (Something that SUV owners frequently scratch). I strictly follow this rule for every car I drive while taking reverse,
Absolutely right . It definitely provides the clear view when you park. It not only helps to get view of rear side but also for your car's entire left side. I had been using this method for the past 5 years and it has helped in parking very close to the left side (without scratching), every time. Some time you are driving alone and you can't expect others to come and help you for parking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
I drive all the UVs with left mirror dipped on tight hilly roads or in tight gulleys, it gives me a very nice idea of how much space I have to maneuver even if its showing me only the rear quarter of my vehicle, but if I know where my rear tyre is, I can accurately estimate where my front tyre is.
Thanks VKumar. This is a good idea that I think will start following. I have never thought about this.
Old 18th March 2018, 23:37   #3842
BHPian

Ok so the XE has a 5 speed gearbox whereas the XM has a 6 speed gearbox does that mean the 1st gear of the 5 speed box will have a higher range and power than the one on the 6 speed box?
Old 19th March 2018, 09:26   #3843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon View Post
- The reverse sensors are located quite high on the rear bumper, due to the high ground clearance. So when you back into a curb, quite often, it hits the rear tow hook with a crunch and the sensors don't even beep to warn you of the proximity. It sounds scary but usually, not much damage is done. I've hit it thrice and the first time, I jumped out of my skin..
The reversing camera is definitely higher and also a little offset from the center. I have to use my ORVM to see the back rear end while parking in tight spaces for sure. This also takes care of curbs and such. Require a little additional judgement for a while but you soon get used to it.

Quote:
- The door pads (Rear doors) tend to get stuck on the door housing and open up from their clips when U open the rear doors. ( Misaligned doors?)
This can happen in case you have improperly installed side steps. Do you? Else you should definitely have it looked at. Improperly installed side steps will push up the housing plastics and they will touch the doors when you open and close them. This can also happen in case you have used a jack in the past to lift up the vehicle, but did not put the jack at the right place, causing the plastic to bend. Tyre guys using lifts and hydraulic jacks tend to not use the indicated mount points. Do check this as it's very common and causes damage.

Quote:
- The Intermediate wiper settings don't seem to be working properly. It's either On or Off and all the rotating I do on the rotating thingie in the stalk, does not produce any results..
The rotating thingy is for setting the sensitivity of the rain sensor. it does not affect the speed of the intermittent wipe operation. That's why you do not see any change while using that. I too originally thought that it was for the speed setting but read the manual and realized that its just to set the sensitivity of the rain sensor.

Quote:
- The Low beams are fine with a good spread. The High beams were a bit weak and I installed Osram Night Breakers. Better, but still not good enough. The High Beam throw is directed quite a bit to the left. I understand, it's a safety feature to prevent you from blinding oncoming traffic and are present in most modern cars, but here, it's a bit too much. Almost makes you feel that only the left High Beam is working.
The low beans have a very sharp cut-off. Try and set the leveler to about 1.5 or so. People in our Hexa group have reported better results at that setting.
High beams are fine for me but then most of my driving is not at night.

Quote:
- You put in half a tank of fuel and it's all green and happy. Park it up a steep incline, start off again and the fuel meter shows Empty and red. even after a couple of Kms, the readings don't change. It's only when you start the vehicle the next day the correct reading appears. And up here, it's all inclines and declines. (Float issues?)
I have not noticed this. How much of an incline are we talking about here?

Quote:
- The Bluetooth feature of the Head unit doesn't pair properly with either of my phones. The sound is always skipping and scratchy. And the Aux-in volume is really muted. Maybe my Aux cable is substandard. Anyway, the sound from the Music system is overhyped. It isn't all that great.
First question: Have you updated to the latest firmware for the ICE? The version number should be 3.4x.xxx (or something). You will fix most of the connectivity and sound quality issues.

Quote:

- Rear seat folding and third row flipping is a pain. It gets stuck and jammed and major force is required. Talking of things jamming, I still haven't managed to slide the second row. Maybe the sliding lever is just for show!
Do you have the bench seat? The left side is the one that is obviously easier and after a few tries I find it very easy to flip. The slider handle of the middle row have a very short travel and that is why sometime its a little difficult to use. But it works!

I have an XTA since August 2017 and completed a little over 10500 kms of mixed driving. Absolutely no squeaks and such from anywhere in the vehicle.
mostlynerd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 11:21   #3844
BHPian

Hi,
My one-month-old hexa is showing extra running in ODO than actual, from last 5 years I am traveling to the same office from home and taking the same route which means the exact distance from point A to B. My earlier XUV was showing 29.7 in odo but my hexa shows 30.6.
Today, to re-confirm this me and one of my friends drove exact same point A to B his swift showed 23.4 but my hexa was showing 24.2

Please help.
msinghal80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 13:06   #3845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msinghal80 View Post
Hi,
My one-month-old hexa is showing extra running in ODO than actual.
Difference seems to be around 3%. Which looks normal, as these odometers are indicative and my not be 100% accurate. Also, the way we squeeze between traffic may bring some differences.

Did you by any chance compare odometer readings of two different vehicles, other than Hexa ? Say XUV and Swift.

At the same time, I am not denying the possibility of wrong odometer calibration.

Last edited by prasanna_indaje : 21st March 2018 at 13:09.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 13:35   #3846
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna_indaje View Post
Difference seems to be around 3%. Which looks normal, as these odometers are indicative and my not be 100% accurate. Also, the way we squeeze between traffic may bring some differences.

Did you by any chance compare odometer readings of two different vehicles, other than Hexa ? Say XUV and Swift.

At the same time, I am not denying the possibility of wrong odometer calibration.

Yeah that's what i mentioned me (hexa) and my friend started (swift) same point and exactly drove in same lane and he got 23.4 and i got 24.2.
msinghal80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 13:46   #3847
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah that's what i mentioned me (hexa) and my friend started (swift) same point and exactly drove in same lane and he got 23.4 and i got 24.2.
Not really. My question is if you have compared odo reading or any two other cars (other than Hexa)? Say XUV and Crysta or Swift and Alto?
Just curious to see if the other two vehicles return same ODO reading. If they do, then Hexa might need re-calibration of ODO.

Last edited by prasanna_indaje : 21st March 2018 at 13:48.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 13:47   #3848
BHPian

Quote:
He meant to check difference between swift and XUV or other cars.
abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 13:56   #3849
BHPian

Quote:
Not really. My question is if you have compared odo reading or any two other cars (other than Hexa)? Say XUV and Crysta or Swift and Alto?
Just curious to see if the other two vehicles return same ODO reading. If they do, then Hexa might need re-calibration of ODO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
He meant to check difference between swift and XUV or other cars.
Got it !!! Will try to gather 1-2 friends and try to the same over the weekend.
msinghal80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 14:12   #3850
BHPian

Quote:
he got 23.4 and i got 24.2.
Quote:
then Hexa might need re-calibration of ODO.
Upsizing the tyres results in odometer readings error. Is that the case with any of you? Or any other Hexa with 19 inch facing the same, issue.
I am guessing the Odometers are not well calibrated in initial phases & can be a known issue. Hence the difference.

I am sure that there is definitely some (re)calibration required for Odometer (my car at least to say).I am saying so based on my recent observation. Car in Question is Aria with 17 Inch tyres.

On my recent trip to Indore, the car was set to Cruise at 90KMPH. The GPS device was indicating the speed at 84 KMPH. Observed this for well over 3 Kms. Tried again with cruise set at 100 & 110 KMPH. GPS readings were 94 & 104 KMPH. I made sure that this is set on as flat road as possible & no Inclines or declines.
So cannot co-relate it in terms of percentage deviation, but definitely flat 6 KMPH deviation. Monitoring slower speeds, to come up to a conclusion.
I have data for Safari as well, but shared only for Aria.
Old 21st March 2018, 17:27   #3851
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
So cannot co-relate it in terms of percentage deviation, but definitely flat 6 KMPH deviation. Monitoring slower speeds, to come up to a conclusion.
I am yet to see a car with less than 3kmph difference between the GPS and speedo reading. I had a habit of comparing these two during my college days and my ZMR used to show almost the exact speed as the GPS while the P220s and Apaches showed 6-8kmph higher (that's how they did 140kmph, lol!).

As per me, a difference between 6-7kmph would be expected and tolerable. My friend's Brezza shows 135 for example when the GPS on his Viofo reads 126.

Last edited by abhi7013 : 21st March 2018 at 17:28.
abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 20:09   #3852
BHPian

There could be a price hike by upto 60k. Details below.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...s-60000-407803
Old 22nd March 2018, 07:44   #3853
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
My one-month-old hexa is showing extra running in ODO than actual, from last 5 years I am traveling to the same office from home and taking the same route which means the exact distance from point A to B. My earlier XUV was showing 29.7 in odo but my hexa shows 30.6.
Today, to re-confirm this me and one of my friends drove exact same point A to B his swift showed 23.4 but my hexa was showing 24.2

Please help.
One accurate way of confirming would be to compare with milestones on the roads. A long drive would give the exact difference between the actual and odo.
su_spatil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 07:53   #3854
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
That is disheartening to hear, earlier it was the weight only that was a problem but now the gearing is too :( The XUV 500 weight is around 1800Kg and this thing weights 300Kg more so I am wondering what impact will it have in FE and in such climes.
Compared to XUV, Hexa is definitely lesser economical, the situations where Hexa manages 13-14 kpl, XUV manages 15-16, no two ways about it. You can wait for XUV facelift too to hit the market, its coming with a more powerful heart after all.

Quote:
Revv it then ride the half clutch but doesn't that burn the clutch plate, secondly you have a HEXA so you are a perfect person to tell me if its more car like to drive or more SUV "Safari" type?
Hexa is more of a car like with a seating position like a true SUV, wonderful visibility but nimble; you feel the bulk only while you do triple digit speeds and feel the need of stopping in a hurry. You will find driving Hexa easier than most of the sedans on the hilly routes, the engine also pulls well.

Quote:
Also is the Auto worth getting over the manual the price difference is there plus average is certainly worst and on hills it will come down to single digits for sure.
Since you are going for M trims, auto makes more sense than the manual; in the T trims you lose ESP + TCS but in the M trims, you don't lose anything. In fact the auto is quite nice to drive on hilly routes and you can actually be the good boy on the road as you can give a pass to anyone with a free mind that you wont need to burn your clutch to start moving again.

Quote:
How much Avg kmpl are you getting also is there any rusting in any parts? How long has your car been with you and any niggles that you faced?
Mine is frequently driven Delhi-Dehradun but I am not in a state of giving an honest feedback as I am far from home, the average kpl is around 12-13 (XTA) as of now, as much I remember and no niggles have been reported so far.
VKumar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 11:04   #3855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
Upsizing the tyres results in odometer readings error. Is that the case with any of you? Or any other Hexa with 19 inch facing the same, issue.
I am guessing the Odometers are not well calibrated in initial phases & can be a known issue. Hence the difference.

I am sure that there is definitely some (re)calibration required for Odometer (my car at least to say).I am saying so based on my recent observation. Car in Question is Aria with 17 Inch tyres.

On my recent trip to Indore, the car was set to Cruise at 90KMPH. The GPS device was indicating the speed at 84 KMPH. Observed this for well over 3 Kms. Tried again with cruise set at 100 & 110 KMPH. GPS readings were 94 & 104 KMPH. I made sure that this is set on as flat road as possible & no Inclines or declines.
Mine is XTA which is 19" by default. Let me check with Tata support, what is the process for recalibration of ODO?
msinghal80 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks