Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2018, 16:43   #3796
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Since we are on the topic, I am sharing one of my experiences. My friend, who currently drives Jetta, was ‘test vehicle driver’ for his brother in law. His brother in law wanted to choose between Fortuner and Endeavour. I asked my friend to test Hexa once they are done with other two. After test drive my friend, his wife and brother in law all were very impressed. My friend recommended Hexa to his brother in law, but finally he decided on Endeavour. The reason, as perfectly mentioned by ACM,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Endeavour and Fortuner customers will run away from Hexa brand perception.
FirstRay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 17:17   #3797
Distinguished - BHPian

I have recommended Tata cars to several people in the last 2 years. Bolt, Zest, Nexon, Hexa and Tiago. People included close friends, colleagues and immediate family. While some of them went to TD and came back very impressed, others just wrote it off saying Tata cars are not good. Unfortunately, in the end all of them bought other cars - Figo, Jazz, Endeavor, KUV, Celerio, Baleno and maybe a Brezza.

In the end, it is the buyers' call and his/her needs that will decide their purchase, with their money. We as well wishers can only suggest.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 17:42   #3798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I have recommended Tata cars to several people in the last 2 years. Bolt, Zest, Nexon, Hexa and Tiago. People included close friends, colleagues and immediate family. While some of them went to TD and came back very impressed, others just wrote it off saying Tata cars are not good. Unfortunately, in the end all of them bought other cars - Figo, Jazz, Endeavor, KUV, Celerio, Baleno and maybe a Brezza.

In the end, it is the buyers' call and his/her needs that will decide their purchase, with their money. We as well wishers can only suggest.
The main deterrent to sales of Hexa is brand TATA. Just see Hyundai, despite a painstaking brand building exercise, they still have tough time selling a 20lac+ car. Back then they had tough time moving 10lac+ car but because of their efforts, they have been able to sell Verna/Creta at a price tag of 16-17lacs.

Post Indica success, Tata was very slow to react and lost quite a lot of brand value. As a product, for Hexa to succeed it had to better competition by big margin, but it doesn't and at best, it is just equal. This factor coupled with brand Tata isn't helping Hexa.

Last edited by PrideRed : 8th March 2018 at 17:44.
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 17:55   #3799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Post Indica success, Tata was very slow to react and lost quite a lot of brand value. As a product, for Hexa to succeed it had to better competition by big margin, but it doesn't and at best, it is just equal. This factor coupled with brand Tata isn't helping Hexa.

+1 to this.

Also, while Innova Crysta and Ford Endeavour have moved on to the contemporary aggressive looking front faces for their models, the Hexa still ends up with the standard smiling face front look of Tata cars carried over right from the Indica days !

P.S. No offence to Hexa owners.
Old 8th March 2018, 18:09   #3800
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
+1 to this.

Also, while Innova Crysta and Ford Endeavour have moved on to the contemporary aggressive looking front faces for their models, the Hexa still ends up with the standard smiling face front look of Tata cars carried over right from the Indica days !

P.S. No offence to Hexa owners.
Somehow I like the way the Hexa looks from the front. The smoked headlamps, the bumper and the grille add up to give it a very mean look. IMO this is much better than the Crysta. Similarly, I prefer the rear looks of Hexa to that of Crysta which looks too plain to me.

Endeavor is a different animal altogether.

PS: Looks are subjective
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 19:22   #3801
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstRay View Post
Finally I came to know that vehicle is not dispatched from the plant itself.
My original plan was to take it in June. But I already booked the vehicle. I am totally expecting this and am well prepared

Quote:
I have recommended Tata cars to several people in the last 2 years
3 folks i recommended bought the Tiago changing their choice from wagon r. And one person is taking hexa instead of Innova.

Quote:
The smoked headlamps, the bumper and the grille add up to give it a very mean look.
I feel the same too. Don't really understand why this is not a suv. If you look at in person its as big and intimidating as any suv can be. But if you look at those top shots any suv will look muv-ish. Maybe it can't go on all terrains like the traditional suv, but that's only till someone really pushes it to limit in real world.
Old 8th March 2018, 20:52   #3802
BHPian

Common, if you're going to call XUV as SUV or nearing one, Hexa does lightyears better when it comes to off roading and is still termed MUV!
Why? Cause few folks categorise based on looks and few based on performance.

It is the first category that unfortunately is majority and generally go behind the feature package rather than the core fundamentals of a car as explained in my previous post.
Hence, a car with sunroof and huge ICE sells better though it drives worse than most cars out there with minimalistic seating and interior design and quality against a product that's got the right things going.

Its similar to a mobile. You don't bother quality of audio or connectivity, as much as u do with the looks and camera when the primary functionality of a phone is to make and receive calls.
Same thing with cars. Why not prioritise what matters first, than say a keyless entry or a glass in the roof?

To each his own, but one thing is for sure: as products develop and mature, it is the customers who benefit. Only wish that the products mature faster towards becoming EV or eco friendly in the next decade!
abhi7013 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 21:02   #3803
BHPian

I'll say Hexa is doing quite OK selling a 20L car in 800+ numbers consistently. Who would have thought Tata will rise back after the debacles of post indica days? Numbers will come just like Tiago.
akshay380 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 09:23   #3804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
That is the reason why the more deserved cars do not sell much. India is a feature-driven market.
Just add factory fit sunroof, keyless entry, electronic seat adjustments, a huge ICE touchscreen and the sales will only go north.
Just wish TATA understood the mentality of its targets as of how Mahindra and Maruti have.

Very few people prioritise the fundamentals of a car: The way it drives and handles. These cannot be purchased aftermarket. Features, you can!
It's not due to lack of features that TATA cars don't sell. Apart from not having ESC and automatic variants on the 4x4 Hexa, I don't think, Hexa is too much behind in terms of features. And adding features has the risk of increasing price even further and with increased price TATA has a lesser chance in the market because of its brand reputation. It's the brand reputation which TATA needs to work on all out on and get that corrected. "Chaltha hain" attitude in its initial days has caused a lot of harm to this brand.

And if you think of some of the other brands that TATA owns like Titan, Tanishq, hospital network etc, a typical Indian trusts TATA more than most other brands. They need to do something about their passenger vehicle segment brand reputation as well. And they are very well capable of doing that. And with the kind of quality products they are coming up with, I think they are moving in the right direction.
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 10:01   #3805
BHPian

My 2p

Tiago is a superior yet well priced car vis a vis competition.

Nexon is radically designed and stands out.

Hexa on the other hand is fighting the XUV and Innova, two very well established and mighty brands.

To know how loaded the Hexa is just compare it to a similar priced Jeep Compass. But at this price point VFM is not what does the job for you.

I think considering the competition and it's price point Hexa is doing really well. Especially after the Aria fiasco. I think in due time Hexa will make its own brand the only spoilsport being fuel regulations.
400notout is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 11:28   #3806
Distinguished - BHPian

The way I look at it, all the new Tata cars are performing in a similar fashion.

1. They are selling 6k+ units of Tiago. These numbers are quite less compared to sales of Maruti hatchbacks such as Celerio, WagonR or the Hyundai Gi10 and so on. And yet, it is a very good number by itself. Tiago is competing with established models and doing well IMO.

2. Nexon has sales of 4k+ units every month. Again this is less than the numbers of Brezza and Ecosport but 4k units are good enough.

3. Hexa has sales of 800-1000 units per month. For a model which costs 15L+ and sells 1k units on an average, there is nothing to lose heart here. It sells less than the XUV but can't be considered to be written off by the market. Innova enjoys a cult following just like the Maruti models.

Looking back 3 years, from where Tata Motors was, barely selling 10k units per months, they have come a long way and seem to be doing pretty good. There is a lot of scope of improvement and it seems they are trying to do that. If they continue the same way, it will be few more years until they start enjoying the trust of people like the other Tata brands.
ashis89 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 15:57   #3807
BHPian

Just booked my Hexa XT (decided against the Auto), 6 seater version. Hoping for delivery within this financial year, but dealer says there are no stocks and plant is working at full capacity and it is still taking 4 weeks post booking for delivery.

Last edited by car.lover : 9th March 2018 at 15:58. Reason: typo
car.lover is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2018, 13:37   #3808
BHPian

Hello,

I've been driving my XTA for about three months and 3,000 kms now.
Really liking it. (All thanks to this Team-Bhp review- Initially I had booked an Innova Crysta after selling off our previous Innova.)

A couple of issues I have faced-

- The reverse sensors are located quite high on the rear bumper, due to the high ground clearance. So when you back into a curb, quite often, it hits the rear tow hook with a crunch and the sensors don't even beep to warn you of the proximity. It sounds scary but usually, not much damage is done. I've hit it thrice and the first time, I jumped out of my skin..

- The door pads (Rear doors) tend to get stuck on the door housing and open up from their clips when U open the rear doos. ( Misaligned doors?)

- Also, the rear bumper claddings touching the rear doors come off from their mounts, again when the doors are opened. ( Same issue as above)

- The Intermediate wiper settings don't seem to be working properly. It's either On or Off and all the rotating I do on the rotating thingie in the stalk, does not produce any results..

- The Low beams are fine with a good spread. The High beams were a bit weak and I installed Osram Night Breakers. Better, but still not good enough. The High Beam throw is directed quite a bit to the left. I understand, it's a safety feature to prevent you from blinding oncoming traffic and are present in most modern cars, but here, it's a bit too much. Almost makes you feel that only the left High Beam is working.

- You put in half a tank of fuel and it's all green and happy. Park it up a steep incline, start off again and the fuel meter shows Empty and red. even after a couple of Kms, the readings don't change. It's only when you start the vehicle the next day the correct reading appears. And up here, it's all inclines and declines. (Float issues?)

- The Bluetooth feature of the Head unit doesn't pair properly with either of my phones. The sound is always skipping and scratchy. And the Aux-in volume is really muted. Maybe my Aux cable is substandard. Anyway, the sound from the Music system is overhyped. It isn't all that great.

- Rear seat folding and third row flipping is a pain. It gets stuck and jammed and major force is required. Talking of things jamming, I still haven't managed to slide the second row. Maybe the sliding lever is just for show!

- On Specs, you don't realize how big it is. I'm coming from an Innova background and this thing is substantially bigger and wider! You really have to watch out for your left fender on narrow roads and alleys!

All above are just issues and my gripes. But I'm actually delighted with the vehicle!

The Ride Quality is awesome, the Interiors are really really comfortable, the paint job is thick and shiny, the soundproofing with windows up is good. The Engine is punchy and smooth (albeit a bit loud), the Auto Gearbox is wonderful with very intuitive and fast changes and the envious looks from the owners of recently purchased shiny new Innova Crysta are a massage to the Ego!

My previous Innova still felt new and the interiors felt tight with not a screw loose when I sold it after five years and a Lakh, fifty thousand kms mark. Got a good resale value too!

I just hope this Contraption holds itself together for three years and I don't have to sell it for "kilo ka Bhau".. as most of the Tata Safaris and Arias around here. I'll consider it paisa vasool!
Puffdamgcdragon is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th March 2018, 14:44   #3809
BHPian

Hi @puffdamgcdragon,
Regarding the doors scraping with the floor, do you have a side step installed? If not done properly, the sideboards tend to move up a bit and as a result, the doors scrape underneath.

Also, regarding sliding of the middle row, did you try sitting on the seat and then sliding? Cause even i couldn't move it an inch from outside the car. When i got in and sat down to adjust, it moved very easily.

Enjoy your ownership and keep us updated on your trips and feedbacks!
abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2018, 19:37   #3810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon View Post
- The Bluetooth feature of the Head unit doesn't pair properly with either of my phones. The sound is always skipping and scratchy. And the Aux-in volume is really muted. Maybe my Aux cable is substandard. Anyway, the sound from the Music system is overhyped. It isn't all that great.
This is the first time I have seen negative comment on sound quality from music system. May be whole head unit needs to be checked as you mentioned connectivity issues as well. I am loving sound quality in my XMA which does not have JBL speakers. Couple of my friends (owners of city / i20/ duster) have even asked me if I got music system upgraded.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks