Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2019, 10:09   #4621
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bir-Billing, HP
Posts: 392
Thanked: 653 Times
Default

How controlled is the body roll in the hills. Won't the passengers in the last row feel sick when driven on typical windy hill roads.
Passengers in my car have complained of slow progress because I drive very carefully and slowly in the hills. My aim always is that the second row passengers shouldn't even feel that we are driving in the hills. This is why I feel that naturally aspirated engines and monocoque designs are better suited for hills, especially if 95% driving is on the roads.
I have been wanting to buy a Hexa since it's launch, but might have to settle for a Duster or some other car like a Punto Avventura/UC which also has excellent suspension and enough GC. Having always driven a NA petrol, even driving a diesel car with turbo lag seems detrimental to my driving style, which is very relaxed.
Would love to hear views of people who use their Hexas regularly in the hills. Haven't seen many of them in this area of Himachal I live in.
rdst_1 is offline  
Old 7th February 2019, 13:23   #4622
BHPian
 
nvldvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Delhi/Vizag
Posts: 549
Thanked: 563 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
How controlled is the body roll in the hills. Won't the passengers in the last row feel sick when driven on typical windy hill roads.
Passengers in my car have complained of slow progress because I drive very carefully and slowly in the hills. My aim always is that the second row passengers shouldn't even feel that we are driving in the hills.

Would love to hear views of people who use their Hexas regularly in the hills. Haven't seen many of them in this area of Himachal I live in.
I am from Himachal myself, and having driven there extensively, I know exactly what you are talking about. Whenever I drive in the hills, I also make concerted efforts to ensure that the vehicles occupants do not feel the turns, especially since my wife tends to suffer from motion sickness. Driving slowly, avoiding braking/ sudden acceleration/ deceleration is the key for that I feel.

I haven't had the opportunity to drive my Hexa in the hills as of now. But I can tell you for sure that there would be some amount of roll/ side to side movement for sure, primarily on account of its high centre of gravity. But then this is expected from any vehicle of this size / height.

Lower seated cars/ monocoque SUVs would definitely be better if you are looking for brisk, spirited driving in the hills, for obvious reasons.

But the good thing is that the comfortable seating, great ride quality and the feeling of spaciousness would make driving in the hills in hexa a much better experience vis-a-vis other large BOF SUVs. .

As for the turbo lag, I don't think that's an issue really, especially in the Auto/ dynamic modes. The engine has got enough grunt to take you through most, if not all, situations comfortably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
Congratulations buddy. Before saying anything else let me ask you a question “Why did not you create a new ownership thread and instead preferred to update here?”. You have good amount of contents for an ownership thread here itself. Still why you didn’t?
Thanks.

Trust me I did.

But let's just say that these contents were not considerd detailed enough to warrant an independent review. And I frankly did not have the time to write more.

So, I just posted my review here.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th February 2019 at 07:56. Reason: Typo
nvldvr is offline  
Old 7th February 2019, 14:48   #4623
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 71
Thanked: 148 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr
Bit about the mirrors not folding automatically
Nip down to the nearest TASS and ask them to update the BCM. Step back and watch the magic

The mirrors auto-folding on locking the doors and unfold when you insert the key into the ignition.

Enjoy your awesome ride!
thedragonreborn is offline  
Old 7th February 2019, 18:39   #4624
BHPian
 
nvldvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Delhi/Vizag
Posts: 549
Thanked: 563 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedragonreborn View Post
Nip down to the nearest TASS and ask them to update the BCM. Step back and watch the magic

The mirrors auto-folding on locking the doors and unfold when you insert the key into the ignition.

Enjoy your awesome ride!
Will get it done ASAP.
nvldvr is offline  
Old 7th February 2019, 19:18   #4625
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 303
Thanked: 1,218 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
How controlled is the body roll in the hills. Won't the passengers in the last row feel sick when driven on typical windy hill roads.
Passengers in my car have complained of slow progress because I drive very carefully and slowly in the hills. My aim always is that the second row passengers shouldn't even feel that we are driving in the hills. This is why I feel that naturally aspirated engines and monocoque designs are better suited for hills, especially if 95% driving is on the roads.
I have been wanting to buy a Hexa since it's launch, but might have to settle for a Duster or some other car like a Punto Avventura/UC which also has excellent suspension and enough GC. Having always driven a NA petrol, even driving a diesel car with turbo lag seems detrimental to my driving style, which is very relaxed.
Would love to hear views of people who use their Hexas regularly in the hills. Haven't seen many of them in this area of Himachal I live in.
Get the XTA. The brilliant autobox masks all turbolag in the Hexa. I drove my Storme and my Hexa on the Ooty hairpin bends and the difference is mind-blowing. In the Storme, one has to use the first gear mostly, but it results in wheelspins on steep climbing bends, then past 2000 rpm a whoosh of power, which results in hard braking in the next corner, completely irritating to drive. The Hexa xta on the other hand will chug along at any speed you desire, completely masking any lag. The power is modulated, constant and with the silent gear shifts one wouldn't really feel the ghats.
AirbusCapt is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th February 2019, 10:03   #4626
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Chennai
Posts: 59
Thanked: 96 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Just saw a Hexa with yellow board on Chennai.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20190210_095539.jpg  

motobliss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2019, 14:09   #4627
BHPian
 
powertrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 611
Thanked: 439 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Hexa Owners,
What is the fuel efficiency that you guys get on your Hexa automatic, in city & on highways?
Test drove an Heta XTA yesterday at Fortune Cars, Thane & the MID showed 7kmpl!!
Even the sales advisor was dumbstruck. He then mumbled about test drive cars driven rashly.
Absolutely loved the car! What a ride it has!!!
powertrain is offline  
Old 10th February 2019, 17:14   #4628
BHPian
 
goswami.j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: ----
Posts: 141
Thanked: 89 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
Hexa Owners,
What is the fuel efficiency that you guys get on your Hexa automatic, in city & on highways?
Test drove an Heta XTA yesterday at Fortune Cars, Thane & the MID showed 7kmpl!!
Even the sales advisor was dumbstruck. He then mumbled about test drive cars driven rashly.
Absolutely loved the car! What a ride it has!!!
Between 10-12 kmpl can be easily achieved in city driving with AC on always. But the sales guy is right, depends on your driving style a lot. Above 120 kmph or constant sports mode is guzzling. On an average in the last 10,000 kms on my Hexa , I have experienced ~11/12 kmpl in my XTA which I would consider fantastic for a 2.5T beast.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20181205_150620.jpg  

goswami.j is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 03:40   #4629
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4,286
Thanked: 3,482 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
Test drove an Heta XTA yesterday at Fortune Cars, Thane & the MID showed 7kmpl!!
Test drive vehilces in urban areas tend to show low mileage figures on the MID. Even the XTA that I test drove showed some 7.x kmpl. But I think on the highway you can realistically achieve 10.x if driven within reasonable highway speeds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goswami.j View Post
Between 10-12 kmpl can be easily achieved in city driving with AC on always.kmpl in my XTA which I would consider fantastic for a 2.5T beast.
Which city are you referring to? I think 10-12 in Bangalore for example would be amazing mileage given that you are burning fuel standing still in most traffic signals in rush hour. It is a 2.2 best not 2.5 :-).

Last edited by suhaas307 : 11th February 2019 at 07:41. Reason: Typo and formatting
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 07:02   #4630
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Chennai/Sydney
Posts: 264
Thanked: 368 Times
Default

Quote:
Which city are you referring to? I think 10-12 in Bangalore for example would be amazing mileage given that you are burning fuel standing still in most traffic signals in rush hour. It is a 2.2 best not 2.5 :-).
I think he/she meant 2.5 Ton :-)

Last edited by arunramaswamy : 11th February 2019 at 07:03.
arunramaswamy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 21:02   #4631
BHPian
 
nvldvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Delhi/Vizag
Posts: 549
Thanked: 563 Times
Default Tata Hexa XT 4X4 Ownership Review - Stock Tyres/ Alloys Swapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
Finally after a pretty long period of waiting, interspersed with lots of research, I bought the Hexa 4x4 XT on 26 Dec 18.
Update.

I changed the stock tyres/ wheels of my Hexa XT 4X4 to 16" Plati alloys and 235/70/16 Michelin LTX force tyres.

Here a few pics of the tyres and the Hexa in its new get up.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-hexa-5-8-12.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-hexa-5-1-12.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-hexa-5-5-12.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-hexa-5-9-12.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-hexa-5-11-12.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-hexa-5-10-12.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-hexa-5-12-12.jpg  

nvldvr is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 12th February 2019, 12:52   #4632
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Delhi
Posts: 40
Thanked: 49 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa XT 4X4 Ownership Review - Stock Tyres/ Alloys Swapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
Update.

I changed the stock tyres/ wheels of my Hexa XT 4X4 to 16" Plati alloys and 235/70/16 Michelin LTX force tyres.

Here a few pics of the tyres and the Hexa in its new get up.
The tires must be good from an offroading perspective but honestly, they take away the awesome look of 19 inchers. It feels as if the mod job is done on a lower variant, XE or XM, as they come with factory fitted 16 inchers. I feel that to enhance the offroading prowess of your 4X4 beast, you should have went ahead with atleast 18 inchers, thereby, maintaining that cult look of your beast yet giving it tougher shoes with thicker sidewall. Correct me if I'm incorrect.

In addition, could you kindly throw some light on what did you do with your 19 inchers?

Thanks,

-Shiva
shivathedude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2019, 17:00   #4633
BHPian
 
Prabhu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 84
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Can we use 19 inches alloy wheels which comes with XT/XTA on XM/XMA variant?
Prabhu is offline  
Old 12th February 2019, 18:59   #4634
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: chennai
Posts: 793
Thanked: 379 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
Update.

I changed the stock tyres/ wheels of my Hexa XT 4X4 to 16" Plati alloys and 235/70/16 Michelin LTX force tyres.
User manual says any change in tyre circumference may affect safety features like (if I recall correctly) ESP, Traction control etc. Was it a conscious choice?

Can gurus throw light on how it will impact the functioning of safety features given that difference between stock 16&19 Dia is only
0.2 inches.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabhu View Post
Can we use 19 inches alloy wheels which comes with XT/XTA on XM/XMA variant?
Yes.
tifosikrishna is offline  
Old 13th February 2019, 20:38   #4635
BHPian
 
nvldvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Delhi/Vizag
Posts: 549
Thanked: 563 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivathedude View Post
The tires must be good from an offroading perspective but honestly, they take away the awesome look of 19 inchers. It feels as if the mod job is done on a lower variant, XE or XM, as they come with factory fitted 16 inchers. I feel that to enhance the offroading prowess of your 4X4 beast, you should have went ahead with atleast 18 inchers, thereby, maintaining that cult look of your beast yet giving it tougher shoes with thicker sidewall. Correct me if I'm incorrect.

In addition, could you kindly throw some light on what did you do with your 19 inchers?

Thanks,

-Shiva
While the 19" alloys indeed do look good, however, I feel that the thin sidewall/ low profile is not suitable for a vehicle of this size.

So if I had opted for 18" as replacement, the tyres would have still been low profile, which is not what I wanted.

I am very happy with 16" tyres, as they offer peace of mind with their thick sidewalls, as well as great ride quality. Looks anyways are subjective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
User manual says any change in tyre circumference may affect safety features like (if I recall correctly) ESP, Traction control etc. Was it a conscious choice?

Can gurus throw light on how it will impact the functioning of safety features given that difference between stock 16&19 Dia is only
0.2 inches.

Yes.
I had read what you have just quoted. However, the overall change in tyre diameter is less than 1%, which is well within the acceptable limit. So, ESP, TCS etc would not be affected.
nvldvr is offline   (2) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks