Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2018, 11:45   #4351
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

What is this whole fuss about XTA variant?

I am thinking of exchanging my Scross with XTA for the sheer convenience factor of autobox and all advantages of Hexa over other competitor products, discussed in this thread. I have used one Tata product for 70k KMs and I have had very good experience, if not excellent.

Please let me know if I should hold on to my thoughts.

I do not like Mahindra vehicles (personal opinion) and Innova is crazy expensive.
Old 12th September 2018, 12:18   #4352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
============
I do not like Mahindra vehicles (personal opinion) and Innova is crazy expensive.
I compared, compared and compared and held off for a year before purchasing Hexa XTA. I won't talk about how and why Hexa is a better PRODUCT compared to competition when it comes to automatic gearbox (I make decisions purely on product basis, not brand) at the price point of ~21L. I can talk about variants, which kept confusing me until the time I finalized XTA.

IMHO, XMA offers tremendous value for money if most of your driving is going to be in the city. But XTA offers certain features, which at a price differential of 3L are probably worth it (6 airbags, reverse camera, 19 inch alloy, 10 speakers JBL audio, leather upholstery, mood lights, and few other cosmetic enhancements). I didn't want to compromise on safety and also didn't want to get any after market accessories so chose XTA as I could just the car as-is. In fact, I had booked an XMA and a day later told the dealership that I had changed my mind and would go for XTA.

XT offers the best in class safety features (ESP, hill assist, traction control, etc. in addition to what XTA has) so if you mostly will drive on highway and do offroading, it is a no brainer that you go for XT. But the flip side is that even if 50% of your drive will be in city, your left leg and arm will start to suffer with crawling bumper to bumper traffic. And the comfort and convenience are lost for me personally. I know people who bought XT and they are very happy with it, but personally I prefer the comfort and convenience as I will be driving in city quite a bit. Also, based on my test drive experience, when it came to manual, Hexa was as good as competition (crysta or xuv) but when it came to automatic, Hexa was far better.

So it was a tough call to shell out 3L more and select a brand that is not a leader in ASS but XTA as a product won. I am yet to experience Tata ASS and haven't explored Hexa much so far so will hold off my thorough feedback on both. I plan to do few road trips in Sep and Oct. But I thought of sharing my reasons for buying Hexa XTA.
iamrightnow is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 14:05   #4353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I would suggest that one starts 'opening the engine up' after 1,200 - 1,500 km. Gradually increase the revvs till a point where you reach the redline. As an example, if till 1500 km, you are restricting her to 2,000 rpm, then at 1600 km take her to 2,300 rpm. At 1,700 km to 2,500 rpm and so on. I usually complete the running-in and start redlining by 2,000 - 2,500 km on the odo (it's a different matter that I buy more used cars than new, so most of my cars are already run in ).

Once you complete the running-in, be sure to redline your engine once in a while (or more).
What is the ideal way of redlining?

Which gear is preferable? Is it ok to do it in Neutral?

Will it be different for Petrol and Diesel engines?
Old 12th September 2018, 20:19   #4354
BHPian

Quote:
Sirji, go for the XTA without any doubts. You will not regret it, Mājhī hamī!

My view about this ESP and TC is that, I want to say this one thing that I don't drive in a way I would ever need them but it would be great to have, why not. I am not saying it's ok not to have safety features but they are not there in this vehicle and that's that. But any day I would take this over fully loaded competition just by looking at the build quality. And for this 700 odd sales we can be sure they won't be adding them any time soon. So just tell yourself you are sitting on top of an elephant and not in a cheetah and drive calm and majestically.

I have been in 1 emergency braking situation in the 9000+kms drive so far and it stopped without any fuss. But the convenience of this beautiful gear box with that 12 kmpl in city is just too good to miss out in my view.

And about this roof rail discussion, to be frank, believe me I noticed it had roof rails just today. They do no stand out or add any real value to the looks of the hexa. And guys, is it just me or do you also feel that TML and Hexa could be the most scrutinized car brands of recent times. Look at the mid version of innova which costs same as XTA and see what you are getting. I know two folks one at 70k and other at 40k going on without even a puncture. Hexa is a very fundamentally sound people mover.
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 21:29   #4355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakarthik1 View Post
Sirji, go for the XTA without any doubts. You will not regret it, Mājhī hamī!

My view about this ESP and TC is that, I want to say this one thing that I don't drive in a way I would ever need them but it would be great to have, why not. I am not saying it's ok not to have safety features but they are not there in this vehicle and that's that. But any day I would take this over fully loaded competition just by looking at the build quality. And for this 700 odd sales we can be sure they won't be adding them any time soon. So just tell yourself you are sitting on top of an elephant and not in a cheetah and drive calm and majestically.

I have been in 1 emergency braking situation in the 9000+kms drive so far and it stopped without any fuss. But the convenience of this beautiful gear box with that 12 kmpl in city is just too good to miss out in my view.

And about this roof rail discussion, to be frank, believe me I noticed it had roof rails just today. They do no stand out or add any real value to the looks of the hexa. And guys, is it just me or do you also feel that TML and Hexa could be the most scrutinized car brands of recent times. Look at the mid version of innova which costs same as XTA and see what you are getting. I know two folks one at 70k and other at 40k going on without even a puncture. Hexa is a very fundamentally sound people mover.
I absolutely second your views barring the roof rail omission

There are many things for that matter that are not noticeable but it does not mean that omission of them shouldn't matter to a potential customer. I have heard car companies adding roof rail in next versions but increasing the price of vehicle and removing features to then have a customer pay 35k to get it as an accessory is just bad decision-making by TML. I understand price increase is part of overall strategy but at least keep the product same or enhance it, why downgrade it?
iamrightnow is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 00:54   #4356
BHPian

Just picked up my Hexa XTA a few weeks ago. Urban Bronze. Despite negative advice about going in for a TATA plunged right in and happy about it.
So far the observations have been:

Positives
1) adequate torque
2) great gearbox-engine combo. Super smooth shifts
3) great, silent ride
4) around 14.6kmpl on the highway
5) comfy seats
6) music system with clear bass.

Negatives
1) turning radius
2) body roll around corners
3) infotainment system compatibility app not yet available for Apple iOS
4) could have done with reach adjustment for steering wheel
5) headlight beams too focused and difficult to turn into corners at night.

Problems
1) under bonnet safety latch loose hence does not hold it shut after popping up the bonnet
2) right side rear door needs to by tugged at a couple of times before it opens.
3) there is a resonance noise/vibration from the turbocharger @ 1800 rpm.
So it's audible if you are sensitive every time the gear shifts.
Service guy says this is normal to all the 40 Nm torque engines. Is this true??

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 18th September 2018 at 07:48. Reason: Edited and formatted for better reading
studedude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 10:07   #4357
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
3) there is a resonance noise/vibration from the turbocharger @ 1800 rpm.
So it's audible if you are sensitive every time the gear shifts.
Service guy says this is normal to all the 40 Nm torque engines. Is this true??
Observed the same in my boss' Hexa AT. This is common and irritating. Prerana also said this is observed in almost every Hexa as well.
However last week he reported that this sound disappeared almost 95% after first service. Prerana claims they did a software update.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2018, 09:50   #4358
BHPian

Just completed my first road trip with Hexa. Four of us - three adults and my son (six year) - covered Bangalore --> Madurai --> Rameshwaram --> Madurai --> Bangalore. We covered ~1300 km in three days.

Left early in the morning around 6am to avoid traffic. Drove around 80-90 kmph and what a pleasant drive. Took few breaks on the way for breakfast (A2B) and lunch. Reached Madurai around 4:30pm. We booked Hotel Park Plaza on the way for night stay. Visited Meenakshi temple and the legendary Murugan Idli Shop in Madurai. Believe me, there is no place that comes even close second when it comes to idli/dosa. I would just drive to Madurai for this. We also found out that Murugan has opened a branch near Hosur, about 100 km from Bangalore, which we also visited on our way back. More on that later.

Tata Hexa : Official Review-murugan-idli.jpg

Next day morning, we left for Rameshwaram. There is a lot of highway construction going on and lot of times you have to take guided diversions and drive on the wrong side of the road. That slows you down a bit but otherwise the roads throughout are in excellent condition. In Rameshwaram, we drove on Pamban bridge. We were fortunate as there was a train that crossed the railway bridge at that time, an amazing experience.

Tata Hexa : Official Review-train-pamban.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-hexa-pamban.jpg

Here I noticed some dripping underneath the vehicle. I was scared for a moment but when I smelled, it wasn't fuel. I realized that it must be due to AC as we had the automatic climate control set at 23 C in the sweltering heat.

We then went to the Ramanathaswamy Temple but didn't dare to take a full dip on the beach as it was extremely dirty.

but cannot refrain from calling out the pathetic management of temple and beach by the local bodies and the government. We paid 500 Rs. in cash (no receipt mind you) to someone who took us around and took water from 22 kunds and gave us the holy bath in 30 min. It was rushed up. Most of the kunds had very little water. The beach was extremely dirty. Goats, cows, etc. roaming about and doing all sorts of daily activities in and around the beach. Discarded clothes lying around, mud making it very dangerous for elderly people to walk safely, cow dung, goat pellets, etc. were an eyesore to what could have been very clean and managed much better Temple from inside was not clean either. So much so for the Swachh Bharat movement and cess we pay.

We also drove on Pamban bridge. We were fortunate to see a train crossing on the railway bridge. Quite an awesome experience. We also covered Dhanushkodi (ghost town) and there is a small patch where you drive along the ocean. It's one of the most beautiful stretches to drive on.

Tata Hexa : Official Review-dhanushkodi-drive.jpg

In Rameshwaram, Pamban and Dhanushkodi were the highlights. One must visit both when in Rameshwaram. Dhanushkodi (or ghost town) was destroyed by a cyclone long ago and then the tsunami hit it so it has been abandoned but it is absolutely marvelous. I guess that's the thing with Nature, it is most intimidating in its most beautiful forms and we humans are not meant to survive it.

Tata Hexa : Official Review-dhanushkodi.jpg

The ruins of the houses, where people lived once.

Tata Hexa : Official Review-ruins-dhanushkodi.jpg

There was a stretch on the beach with huge density of trees. I saw people enjoying picnic but again there were plates, water bottles, etc. left behind. Such a beautiful place but spoiled by people who don't understand that Govt cannot be everywhere. Maintaining key tourist destinations is a responsibility of local bodies and govt for sure but even that requires cooperation from tourists. It's such a shame that most people don't care. Took few pics of Hexa in front of this beautiful stretch. I wish I had a folding chair or a hammock to tie to trees. It would have been wonderful. Next time

Tata Hexa : Official Review-hexa1.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-hexa2.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-hexa3.jpg

Now to Hexa. It did pretty good throughout.

Comfort - Put a huge smile on everyone's face as despite spending significant time in the vehicle, there wasn't an iota of fatigue and we were fresh. I guess that says a lot about its ride quality, handling, overall space, open cabin, etc. It was supremely comfortable for everyone.

Parking - Since it's a huge vehicle, parking in covered space at Hotel Park Plaza in Madurai was a pain. It took me 15 min and lot of guidance to park it right. Also GPS guided me to few roads, which were very narrow and it was difficult to pass. Once I was about to get out from such a narrow stretch when a Honda City came in from the opposite direction, and the guy wouldn't reverse (and I had three more vehicles behind me so there was no way I could have reversed). My nephew had to get out and guide me and him. I managed to take it out without any scratch but I need to find out the option where GPS avoids narrow roads. Does anyone know how to do it?

Others - I got mileage of ~14.5 kmpl on highway, which is fine. I hope it will improve slightly after first service. Thank God we got the sidesteps. Since getting in Hexa is a bit of climb than slide, they are extremely helpful. I used cruise quite a bit on the highway. It's a bit tough to keep cruising on Indian highways with habitation and new village every 5 min but it was pleasant to take both your feet off the pedals. There is a minor body roll around sharp corners at high speed so if you have folks who are sensitive to that, you may want to exercise a bit of caution on turns.

Overall, on our first road trip, Hexa amazed us. I cannot wait for our next trip.

EDIT - I am also sharing the GPS location of their recently opened branch near Krishnagiri.

https://goo.gl/maps/fASAx2q5haN2

The original outlet in Madurai serves idlis with a smooth texture and they are a bit on the sticky side. In Krishnagiri branch, the chutneys taste the same but idli was a bit different (more brittle). Their meal thali is awesome too. It is about 100 km drive from Bangalore but totally worth for a weekend morning breakfast or brunch outing. Here is a pic of Hexa parked there.

Tata Hexa : Official Review-hexa-murugan-krishnagiri.jpg

Last edited by SDP : 27th September 2018 at 07:05. Reason: Merging back to back posts
iamrightnow is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 26th September 2018, 23:46   #4359
BANNED

Fellow Hexa Owners -

Can someone please summarize the missing features on the XE variant being sold as on date in comparison to the one that was launched initially.

I can figure out the following -

1) Missing Sun Blinds
2) No Steering Mounted controls.

A friend is looking at buying one and wants to check if there be any major deletions to the above stated.

Many Thanks !
Old 27th September 2018, 09:54   #4360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Fellow Hexa Owners -

Can someone please summarize the missing features on the XE variant being sold as on date in comparison to the one that was launched initially.

I can figure out the following -

1) Missing Sun Blinds
2) No Steering Mounted controls.

A friend is looking at buying one and wants to check if there be any major deletions to the above stated.

Many Thanks !
So, the features missing in the MY2018 model over the MY2017 model are as follows:-
1. Misses out on Tata Signature Front Grille with Chrome Humanity Line (was in Platinum Silver in MY2017), Black Out Door Frame, Floating Roof.
2. Skid Plates are now in Ebony Black (were in Grey earlier).
3. Seat Upholstery and Door Trim Inserts changed from Full Fabric (MY2017) to Premium Fabric (MY2018). Door Trim Inserts were not present in MY2017 models.
4. Soft Touch Dashboard with Hexa Branding is not there anymore.
5. 4 Speaker system, as opposed to MY2017's 4 Speaker and 2 Tweeter system.
6. UNLIKE WHAT YOU MENTIONED, STEERING MOUNTED AUDIO AND PHONE CONTROLS WERE AND ARE STILL PRESENT!!
7. ConnectNext App, NaviMaps App, Juke Car App and Tata Smart Manual App not supported now.
8. Hydraulic Brake Assist added in MY2018 variants.
9. Express Down on Driver Power Window removed.
10. Seating Capacity of 6 and 7 seater options, was only a 7 seater earlier.
11. Retractable Window Sunblinds now removed.
12. 12V Power Outlet only in the Front Row now, was in both Front and Second Rows in MY2017.
13. The brochure of MY2017 had an option of Sunglass Holder as standard on all variants, but it is not mentioned anywhere in the MY2018 brochure.
14. MY2017 came in only Pearl White and Arizona Blue, but MY2018 models come in Pearl White, Arizona Blue and Tungsten Silver (the 6 Seater is only available in Pearl White now)!!

Hope this helps you to guide your friend!!
AdityaDeane is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 13:23   #4361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
So, the features missing in the MY2018 model over the MY2017 model are as follows

And all I thought was TML just removed rail roof in an unethical manner.
Soft touch dashboard, speakers, Express down, Sunblinds, power outlet.

How much does TML save by doing this keeping the fact about meager sales of Hexa.

Actually speaking some of them were first in class types, I'm amazed by the strategy of TML. TML is just shooting themselves in the foot.

I am sure keeping away from my strong desire to buy Hexa, I even accept that there is none which I can consider against Hexa, may be I've to wait or do some serious research again.

I can only hope that better sense prevails.

Last edited by GTO : 12th October 2018 at 07:43. Reason: Language + trimming quoted post
Aviatoraval is offline   Received Infraction
Old 2nd October 2018, 15:10   #4362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviatoraval View Post

I am sure keeping away from my strong desire to buy Hexa, I even accept that there is none which I can consider against hexa, may be I've to wait or do some serious research again.

I can only hope that better sense prevail.
I know it's awful feeling to buy a car knowing what you have lost. I'm waiting to see the September sales figure to see if there is a dent on the monthly numbers. It was doing pretty fine with around 800 pieces a month. Having a shade and roof rails, adds ample amount of premium character. Why delete TATA?

Despite the deletion, I would say there is no other SUV that commands exclusivity around this price bracket.
Old 2nd October 2018, 17:09   #4363
BHPian

We visit Alampur Jogulamba temple on our grand mother's command. The temple is 270 odd kms from our home. The temple is a really old one and is a Shakti Peetham.

We started off around 7:30 am and reached around 11 am. The highway is Hyderabad-Bangalore NH44 and was as superb as ever. The Darshan was pretty quick. One can touch the Siva Lingam with their head for a ticket. From there on you go on towards Jogulamba temple. There is also a museum which has some really old artifacts. People interested can note how Hindu deities back then are different to what they are today.

We had some home cooked lunch under a tree with fresh air blowing. There is also a Haritha Tourism hotel and the staff were very courteous in letting us use the restrooms even though we did not eat. From there we pushed off to Gadwal which is a 20kms diversion on the way back for some saree shopping!

Did a lot of 3 digit speeds which I usually don't and the hexa was as solid as ever. Did the job perfectly. One thing I find really fascinating is, you don't feel tired in the hexa after a 600 kms single day drive, even my 88 year old grand ma or my 8-month pregnant wife, a super comfy ride. Returned a mileage of 14.1 kmpl. On such highways I usually set cruise control at 80 and get a mileage of 16 plus but spirited driving this time round. Fastag did its job perfectly too. And a few pics of our short road trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-20180929_120552.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-20180929_120842.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-20180929_120846.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-20180929_120851.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-20180929_121010.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-20180929_121027.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-20180929_121034.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-20180929_121414.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-20180929_121432.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-20180929_122013.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-20180929_124042.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-20180929_125926.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-20180929_132827.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-20180929_133509.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-20180929_132623.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-20180929_133617.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-20180929_133636.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-20180929_130656.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-20180929_120724.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-20180929_120819.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-20180929_134915.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-20180929_135008.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd October 2018 at 19:26. Reason: 8-month
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 15:20   #4364
BHPian

Quote:

I am thinking of exchanging my Scross with XTA
I did this a year ago.
Traded my 1.6 for Hexa XTA.

There are two things I miss :
1. Outright acceleration
2. Fuel economy.

But , comfort of Hexa overrules these.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 15:30   #4365
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrightnow View Post
Just completed my first road trip with Hexa. Four of us - three adults and my son (six year) - covered Bangalore --> Madurai --> Rameshwaram --> Madurai --> Bangalore. We covered ~1300 km in three days.
If not done already, please remove the ribbon that is there on the bonnet. It will result in scratches if not removed. You have covered 1300 kms with those ribbons, I pray the bonnet is not already scratched.
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks