Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2021, 16:34   #5866
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Anyone tried Bridgestone 235 55 R19s? They show up in Google search but not sure if they're available in the market
They are the only ones available right now and cost 18k. You can find them at any decent tyre store. The MRF's can only be procured by the service center after placing an order and cost around 14k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.ch View Post
Did you mean Bridgestone or Goodyear?
It's the Bridgestone. The Volvo XC90 and Hexa share the same tyre size. Since XC 90 owners don't prefer the MRF's the Bridgestone's are available.
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 20:23   #5867
BHPian

I thought people would have already mentioned this here, but the recent decision by TAMO to rename Gravitas to Safari pretty much means its final nail in the coffin for Hexa relaunch. It doesn't even make any business sense to have 2 seven seater side by side and that too one on a decade old platform. RIP to one of the best cars TAMO launched in the last 10 years.
RaghuVis is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 20:53   #5868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
I thought people would have already mentioned this here, but the recent decision by TAMO to rename Gravitas to Safari pretty much means its final nail in the coffin for Hexa relaunch. It doesn't even make any business sense to have 2 seven seater side by side and that too one on a decade old platform. RIP to one of the best cars TAMO launched in the last 10 years.
You beat me in posting this comment. I am really really sad, this is like the last nail in the coffin for Hexa. With this announcement, there is no hope left for Hexa resurrection any more.
Anyways the silver lining in the cloud is if by 2022, TML decides to bring 4X4 AT option for Harrier and Gravitas (New Safari - The new name is still not sinking in).
swarnava.ch is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 21:03   #5869
BHPian

This is so sad. Hexa is one of the best cars with 7 seats in India. So comfortable and driveable with that powerglide automatic.
Somehow Tata thinks it is not feasible to sell it while Mahindra mints money selling a 2 decade old Scorpio and Bolero.
I do not agree with the sentiment that just because a platform is old it is bad. The Hexa took cues from the older land rover discovery. It was a great product and is perhaps better than the Innova.
Cessna182 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 10:25   #5870
Senior - BHPian

Tata Hexa 4×4 spied

Tata Hexa : Official Review-fb_img_16099952095038793.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-fb_img_16099952149731626.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 21:27   #5871
Senior - BHPian

Hello bhpians.

Just confirmed from my sources that the X2 platform and thus Hexa BS6 is canned for now. All the so called prototypes spotted so far are just BS4 ones and the XMA and 4×4 badging on them is nothing but some overenthusiastic Tata employee slapping them on an internal test vehicle. This happens all the time with internal test vehicles as well as vehicles used as taxi inside the plant.

There are around 25 odd engines of BS6 Varicor 400 which were made in March last year and are now kept in cold storage and at least for the next 2 years they will remain so. The last minute change of Gravitas to Safari is testament to that.

If COVID pandemic wasn't there last year then by now we surely would have had the Hexa Safari Edition on the streets but now because of the pandemic Tata thinks that it has no chance of selling a 20 lakh plus rupees SUV with such a less feature count. Add to it that Tata is seriously strapped for cash and going forward they will only look at the Alfa and Omega platforms.

I am not saying that it's the end of the road for the X2 platform but at least for the foreseeable future it looks like so. So according to my sources if Tata does decide to resurrect the X2 platform at a later date, we can expect a completely new SUV with the latest gizmos and the latest design language to be launched. But chances of that happening are slim. Maybe if the Gravitas royally flops (which looks likely) then Tata will do something.

So I request moderators to close this thread till some concrete info is available on the same.
ram87pune is online now   (26) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 22:56   #5872
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
Just confirmed from my sources that the X2 platform and thus Hexa BS6 is canned for now. All the so called prototypes spotted so far are just BS4 ones and the XMA and 4×4 badging on them is nothing but some overenthusiastic Tata employee slapping them on an internal test vehicle. This happens all the time with internal test vehicles as well as vehicles used as taxi inside the plant.
All of these were 0 surprise. I always felt that these were tender/taxi cars used for official errands & spare emblems and badges getting slapped on at a factory is nothing new.

The moment the H7X got christened Safari - it was death-bells for the X2, Hexa. So I'll consider your post as a confirmation beyond doubt for what I was anticipating. RIP - an excellent platform and a wonderful car that didn't ever get the laurels it deserved.

I only hope that some funds are left somewhere in an ignored cabinet in the board-room - that allow for at least a mild AWD to be integrated into the "Safari" by 2022.
Quote:
There are around 25 odd engines of BS6 Varicor 400 which were made in March last year and are now kept in cold storage and at least for the next 2 years they will remain so. The last minute change of Gravitas to Safari is testament to that.
This indeed is a real sucker punch. A really well engineered power plant paying the price of erroneous decisions of past few years towards engine choices & of course Covid19. It is so disappointing that such a well designed robust engine will not be seeing the road in a worthy production car (probably ever again).

By the time the Omega is shoehorned to work with it & the licensing agreement for procuring the 2.0Multijet is used up - there may well not be a need of this engine at all. World would have moved far forward by then in all probabilities.
Quote:
So I request moderators to close this thread till some concrete info is available on the same.
Let it be alive . Its fun to see shots of an old car with speculation and hope kept alive that its going to make a come-back. Anyway - its an official review thread. So it needs to be alive for owners, admirers & haters to continue discussing experiences, queries & thoughts.

Last edited by Reinhard : 7th January 2021 at 23:10.
Reinhard is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 23:13   #5873
BHPian

Quote:
Sad indeed. Would members here recommend the owners open to the idea of selling the Hexa to do it now (because the resale values are still good)? I feel that a year from now the Hexa will sell at the same price as the Aria, Manza, Vista and Dicor etc. 2-2.5 lakhs for a showroom condition unit while competing cars from the same era cost 3 times as much.

Currently one can still get 10+ lakhs for a good Hexa. Tata keeps making sure that loyal customers are shortchanged in terms of the resale value.

While many say that parts won't ever be an issue, Aria owners say otherwise. Manza is still okay as it sold well as a Taxi. But for the Hexa, interior bits and trims and customised parts will be an issue. Even for cars like the Nano, spares are becoming difficult to get off the shelf despite the Nano selling in the thousands in the first few years. Tata dealers only care about the latest cars and their older models are given substandard treatment.

After this news I won't ever talk someone into buying a Tata again. I get why people stick to Maruti and Toyota and Hyundai. It is painful to see a brand get killed within 2 years of launch.

Last edited by Cessna182 : 7th January 2021 at 23:14.
Cessna182 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 23:19   #5874
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe if the Gravitas royally flops (which looks likely) then Tata will do something..
Thanks, Ram. Though not the best news to read :(

My guess too, though I hope I am wrong. I dont find a Harrier sibling of pretty much same size but different name is a great idea. Without the Hexa, Tata wont have anything with LoF.

May be, a lower priced SUV/UV in future than trying to cross the 20L ex-showroom mark would be a better bet for Tata.
condor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 05:29   #5875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.ch View Post
You beat me in posting this comment. I am really really sad, this is like the last nail in the coffin for Hexa. With this announcement, there is no hope left for Hexa resurrection any more.
Anyways the silver lining in the cloud is if by 2022, TML decides to bring 4X4 AT option for Harrier and Gravitas (New Safari - The new name is still not sinking in).
I was expecting this from the time Tata discontinued the Hexa. As it is, the Hexa was a stop gap product until the new OmegaArc platform was ready. A similar story to the otherwise excellent Tata Zest which was a stopgap for the Tiago twins.

Consider the Hexa as a learning experience for TML, this was the first offering where in the fit and finish, automatic, drive modes a bit of technology was incorporated right off the bat and sold in a solid package. This learning is what the team used in development of the excellent Harrier.

Let's consider the fact that the Hexa was too muv like to set hearts on fire and had Tata been serious of the platform, they would have applied the package to the Storme instead of the Aria considering the same X2 underpinning.
Old 8th January 2021, 09:26   #5876
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Hexa is still on the cards? Or am I reading this wrong?

Tata Hexa : Official Review-tata-motors-tweet.png

Last edited by ph03n!x : 8th January 2021 at 09:31.
ph03n!x is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 11:23   #5877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Interesting! And confusing. Where will two 6/7 seat SUV/MUV fit in? One is a front wheel drive manual/auto the other a rear wheel drive manual/auto with a 4*4 manual/auto (maybe). The MUV has got ladder frame chassis and a 4*4, the SUV is a subcompact unibody with a 4*2 only.
Theis whole mess is typical Tata, they simply can't learn.
The ideal thing was to launch Hexa as a full blown MUV with an automatic and position the new Safari as a SUV with an optional 4*4.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 11:47   #5878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Thanks for this post ph03n!x. Unless we see something concrete from TML, its a bit difficult to trust or understand what is the larger plan for Hexa.
Love your Thar BTW and I have subscribed to your thread for every update

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Interesting! And confusing. Where will two 6/7 seat SUV/MUV fit in? One is a front wheel drive manual/auto the other a rear wheel drive manual/auto with a 4*4 manual/auto (maybe). The MUV has got ladder frame chassis and a 4*4, the SUV is a subcompact unibody with a 4*2 only.
This whole mess is typical Tata, they simply can't learn.
The ideal thing was to launch Hexa as a full blown MUV with an automatic and position the new Safari as a SUV with an optional 4*4.
Actually if I can put here what is going on in my mind regarding how things panned out (this is also based on Ram87pune's post above)

TML were ready with BS6 Hexa release, Pandemic happened and the plans are put on hold because TML is not sure if the older Hexa design will still bring sales numbers or Volumes for them.

So a better bet is to bring in the Gravitas and they also used the 'Safari' moniker for it. Now TML would be waiting to see what kind of numbers the new Safari brings in and till then Hexa is on hold. If its doing numbers of around 2k+ per month (on top of harrier), then fine no probs, invest money in updating the Harrier and Safari twins only, Hexa may be killed.

If the new Safari is not doing very well (less than 1k per month) then invest some more in Hexa, bring in with some design tweaks.

Then the question above of positioning -
Haxa will be the highway cruiser, touring MUV -ish,
Safari will be the lifestyle SUV for young and bold.

Both then can co-exist however pricing positioning etc are very tricky.

I can write any post here in TBhp but realities of life on the ground and end customer perception is very difficult to determine.
swarnava.ch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 11:59   #5879
Distinguished - BHPian

Trusted birdie confirms that Tata has ditched plans to use the 2.2L BS6 Varicor engine in the Hexa.

Whether they will now turn to the Fiat 2.0L or let the BS6 Hexa project simmer in the backburner for the future, remains to be seen.
RavenAvi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 12:25   #5880
Senior - BHPian

The tweet which confirmed Hexa BS6 launch, has been deleted by Tata Motors

Tata Hexa : Official Review-smartselect_20210108122413_twitter.jpg
Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks