Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2021, 17:02   #6016
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashdin19 View Post
Dear Forum members, this is my first post on Team Bhp.

I own a 2018 Hexa XTA. I have had a hassle free experience until now.

However, in the last one month, have noticed that the gear lever is at times getting locked/ stuck.

Am unable to move from Park or even from Neutral to Drive. Solution has been to switch off the car completely and re-start. The lever then moves.

Would appreciate guidance on this issue. Is this an urgent issue and do I need to take the vehicle to the service centre ASAP. Thanks.
Welcome to the Forum Aashdin19 and also hello from a Ex Hexa owner.

Based on the symptoms you have described with your gearbox, I have a question. When this shifting issue occurs, do you see any other errors in the console at the same time ? Is there a pattern that you observed when this happens like early mornings after starting the car first time or middle of a drive after driving 200 kms ?

I am guessing here - as you are able to recover from the issue after a restart, can this be a sensor issue ? The Auto GB relies on sensors to check if shifting should be allowed or not and may be one of them is faulty ?

Anyways this has to be shown to the TASS and some investigation needs to be done.
swarnava.ch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 17:46   #6017
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashdin19 View Post
Dear Forum members, this is my first post on Team Bhp.

I own a 2018 Hexa XTA. I have had a hassle free experience until now.

However, in the last one month, have noticed that the gear lever is at times getting locked/ stuck.
Its probably not detecting your brakes being applied. Could be the brake switch as that is more likely to fail than anything on the gear shifter itself.

It should be an inexpensive repair.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 13:18   #6018

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.ch View Post
Welcome to the Forum Aashdin19 and also hello from a Ex Hexa owner.

Based on the symptoms you have described with your gearbox, I have a question. When this shifting issue occurs, do you see any other errors in the console at the same time ? Is there a pattern that you observed when this happens like early mornings after starting the car first time or middle of a drive after driving 200 kms ?

I am guessing here - as you are able to recover from the issue after a restart, can this be a sensor issue ? The Auto GB relies on sensors to check if shifting should be allowed or not and may be one of them is faulty ?

Anyways this has to be shown to the TASS and some investigation needs to be done.
Thanks for the inputs. There are no errors showing up on the console when the gear shifter issue occurs.

It primarily occurs on a cold start; mornings/ evenings. I made a trip of around 300 kms after the first time it occurred, but there was no issue during that time.

Will check with TASS regarding sensor issue and get it sorted out. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Its probably not detecting your brakes being applied. Could be the brake switch as that is more likely to fail than anything on the gear shifter itself.

It should be an inexpensive repair.
Thanks for the input. Hopefully as mentioned by you, it should be a minor issue and will get sorted easily.
Aashdin19 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 16:52   #6019

Hello everyone,
I observed the check engine light in my 2018 XMA, I immediately took my car to the service station which was less than 10 kms away. This happened on last Saturday, 9th October 2021. The service center guys asked me to drop the car which would be looked at the following Monday, Sunday being a holiday. On Wednesday, I received a WhatsApp message from the service advisor assigned that the diagnosis is under process and the service center has sent the matter for approval of the work to be done under extended warranty. My query is if at all there is such approval required for the work to be undertaken under extended warranty.
Old 17th October 2021, 15:33   #6020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JourneyMan View Post
My query is if at all there is such approval required for the work to be undertaken under extended warranty.
Hi JourneyMan, To answer your query, yes, sometimes for big-ticket repairs / replacements for Free of charge items, TASS takes approval from Tata. But the main question is that you have written that the investigation is in process, so which exact part are they requesting the replacement for ?
My suggestion would be to get some more details from your SA about the exact reason for the issue with check Engine light and ask for parts list that needs to be fixed. Keep a written track of the issue.
swarnava.ch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 16:52   #6021
BHPian

Had a tyre burst today.

Was going around a tight corner, where a rickshaw was parked. Misjudged, and a sharp metal protusion on the rickshaw tore the rear left tyre.

Was using Michelin LTX Force (235/70/16) on all four wheels.

Now getting a Bridgestone dueler 235/70/16 as replacement, as have an unused Bridgestone Stepney (2.5 years old) of the same size.

Will use these 2 as a set, along with the 2 michelins as The other set.

Planning to keep one Michelin as a Stepney now.
Old 17th October 2021, 17:53   #6022

Quote:
My suggestion would be to get some more details from your SA about the exact reason for the issue with check Engine light and ask for parts list that needs to be fixed. Keep a written track of the issue.
Thanks for the advise, will shoot the mail right away.

For the repairs the advisor hasn’t exactly been clear. He says there is an issue with fuel injector.
Old 18th October 2021, 14:52   #6023

Quote:
Hi JourneyMan, To answer your query, yes, sometimes for big-ticket repairs / replacements for Free of charge items, TASS takes approval from Tata. But the main question is that you have written that the investigation is in process, so which exact part are they requesting the replacement for ?
Have just received communication from the service centre saying that the problem was due to adulterated fuel, the fuel injector and 2 filters need to be replaced. The injector would be covered under warranty as a special case(as per the service centre).
He further told me to take the matter up with the fuelling station. Dear Team, please guide what recourse do I have?
JourneyMan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 15:51   #6024
BHPian

Yesterday I observed two strange niggles in my Hexa. The front roof light automatically turns on and off while crossing over speed breakers or large undulations of road. The second niggle observed is, there is a sound of locking and unlocking of rear right door when a car is in running while in actual door is not being locked or unlocked. What could be the reasons for these niggles? Both niggles are irritating but do not want to visit service center just for that as my next service is due in December.
Old 18th October 2021, 18:22   #6025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepsc View Post
The second niggle observed is, there is a sound of locking and unlocking of rear right door when a car is in running while in actual door is not being locked or unlocked. .
I have exactly the same issue in my 2014 Safari Storme. While driving i hear the sound of the door locks unlock and lock, just like it happens when you reach the speed threshold for auto-closing of the doors. However in reality nothing is happening to the door locks. What I also observed was that at the same time the headlamps blinked for a second and also the seat belt reminder light comes up. This happened for about a week but in the last 2- 3 weeks haven't seen this happening again. Not sure what was wrong in the first place and even more unsure of what made it go away. Or probably it is just dormant for the time being and may crop up at a later stage. Anyways I plan to take it for servicing in the next 1 - 2 weeks and in case I get to know anything conclusive, shall update here.

Cheers,
zadoom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 22:25   #6026
Senior - BHPian

I let go off my Hexa last week for a Fortuner. The primary reason for the upgrade was to satisfy the 4x4 itch that I had for a long time. I was also a victim of jokes by Tata's famed quality control department with a couple of warranty replacements in the second year.

The drive home from the showroom was my first ever drive of a Fortuner. I was quick to realize how much of value for money Hexa was 3.5 years back. Before reaching home, I counted at least 3 times where my family members exclaimed in malayalam'Hexa ividonnum kulungarilla' ( Meaning Hexa does not shake at this place ). There is a 500 meter bad road stretch before reaching my home where I usually blast through in the Hexa. By the time I reached there, I had gotten enough feedback from the car and my family to realize it will not be able to keep up with Hexa's reputation.

The AT box is another area where Hexa has a significant advantage over Fortuner. While the Fortuner is supposed to do the 0-100 run a whole 3 seconds faster than Hexa, in real life this does not translate into much. I felt the 30-70 sprint in Hexa was faster than Fortuner. Somehow Hexa's AT seems to have an edge even with the Varicor 400's turbo lag before 1500 rpm. What TML acheived with this gearbox and engine combination is really special.

To be honest, Fortuner does not feel like an upgrade from Hexa other than for the engine and 4x4. In my opinion, upgrade to Fortuner for a Hexa owner only makes sense if you have a thing for 4x4. Otherwise you will not be able to justify your decision in front of your family. In my case, they clearly called me out saying I spent more than double the money for something less spacious and less comfortable. Tata really spoilt us with Hexa and there simply is nothing less than 50L that will feel like an upgrade, especially to the people who will spend their time in the second and third row.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 26th October 2021 at 22:42.
padmrajravi is offline   (76) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 13:59   #6027
BHPian

It is likely that the rear hatch is not closed properly or the light switch for the rear hatch is a problem. Try closing the hatch firmly or get an adjustment done in TASS.
krish11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 14:37   #6028
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Meaning Hexa does not shake at this place ). There is a 500 meter bad road stretch before reaching my home where I usually blast through in the Hexa.

To be honest, Fortuner does not feel like an upgrade from Hexa other than for the engine and 4x4.
Absolutely agree with this. There is no car in the market today that is a good enough replacement for Hexa. Just replacement, forget upgrade. Whatever you choose, you will loose on any combination of space or comfort or economy or utility.

With two Fortuners in the extended family to go with my Hexa, I say that Fortuner is way too bumpy to be deemed acceptable by anyone used to Hexa. You can improve the ride quality by upgrading to aftermarket suspensions from ARB or Old Man Emu. Your family will appreciate this change a lot.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 28th October 2021 at 14:44.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 15:58   #6029
BHPian

Quote:
I let go off my Hexa last week for a Fortuner.
So one of the strongest supporter of Hexa on TBhp gave up finally I can relate very well to your feedback.
swarnava.ch is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 17:34   #6030
BHPian

Quote:
To be honest, Fortuner does not feel like an upgrade from Hexa other than for the engine and 4x4. In my opinion, upgrade to Fortuner for a Hexa owner only makes sense if you have a thing for 4x4. Otherwise you will not be able to justify your decision in front of your family.
I can relate. I owned an Aria Pride 4x4 for close to 9 years and it pampers you like no other car this side of 50lacs. I sold it for Innova Crysta GX AT for sake of reliability, peace of mind and ease of AT. The first reaction from my family was the lack of comfort and upmarket feel of Aria. Crysta though comfortable cannot match the Aria or Hexa. I then took them for a TD of the mighty Fortuner. And they started loving back the crysta’s ride quality.
Had I been in your shoes I would have gone for Crysta ZX AT and Thar 4x4.

Last edited by bravo82in : 28th October 2021 at 17:43.
bravo82in is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks