Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2022, 18:33   #6091
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Contd from post # 6090

We waited for 3 days for the water to recede and thereafter I got it towed to local Tata Authorized Service Station (TASS) at Nagercoil and the repair estimate (mostly connected car spares & electricals like ECU, main wiring kit, etc) exceeded 75% of IDV and hence they pushed for total loss. Since being a true blue beast lover I was not mentally prepared to accept the decision and got the vehicle shipped (in flat bed truck) to Bangalore TASS at my own expense in December for second opinion. I wanted to try my best to save the vehicle and spent Rs 96k from my pocket for this effort.

The local surveyor at Bangalore advised the TASS to first check the engine and automatic transmission are in good condition before proceeding with any repairs. This time it was found the auto tranny got water ingress and the transmission electronic component in question was major replacement cost-wise. The new repair estimate at Bangalore exceeded the IDV! More than the repair cost, what convinced me to give up the car was given the water damage to the auto transmission unit and it would not be reliable especially for my long drives with family. Many of my friends who had experienced water damage in Chennai floods, advised me to give up as they said the car electronics (and reliability) will never be the same even after expensive repairs.

I've owned many cars in the past and I was never emotionally invested in any of them. To me, car is a word but Hexa is an emotion. It was gut wrenching decision to finally agree for total loss and it took all this while to mentally prepare myself (first time when I heard total loss advise from insurance company in Dec, I got angry - so much emotionally attachment to Hexa) and the family too are fond of the beast. Finally, the insurance formalities got completed earlier this month.

This is how my beloved Hexa looked ready to be towed by the salvage buyer...too good to let go!
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-tata-hexa.jpg  

grkonweb is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 18:37   #6092
BHPian

Contd from post # 6091

Few lessons I learnt from this episode which I'm sharing for everyone's benefit:

1. Please do not cut premium costs by reducing IDV (mine was just Rs 7.73 lacs & my repair estimate came up to Rs 7.85 lacs, of course, some components could have been checked & used instead of replacement) especially if your vehicle is 5+ years old. I didn't apply my mind when the insurance came up for renewal last year, I didn't bother much about the reduced IDV and that did me in.

2. If you are in flood prone area, take engine protect cover as well in the insurance. Also opt for return to invoice feature if eligible.

3. Take insurance from TASS as I heard (not sure though) they have big clout with insurance companies to push insurance claim favorable to owners.

4. Take RSA from TASS (I heard, not sure though) which has a feature where there is no limit on distance covered for peace of mind if your vehicle is 5+ years. Of course, extended warranty coverage goes without saying.

5. In case water level is raising and you are unable to move the vehicle to safer place (in my case the road level was lower than the place we were staying and moving out will only make it worse), the best option is to:

(i) disconnect the battery to avoid fouling up with electronics.
(ii) wrap the exhaust pipes with polythene sheets to avoid water ingress

I'm yet to fully come to terms with the abrupt loss (just 40k in odomoter, Sep 2017 XTA model with no prior accident history, maintained passionately) and the vehicle body in pristine condition and engine parts intact. Had it met with accident and body went out of shape it's a different matter. In hindsight, to come to think of it, at least we didn't meet with any accident that would have harmed us physically but Hexa went away intact except for electronic & electrical components.

Tata Hexa was an aspirational vehicle for me and Hexa was all the more special for me personally as I came from buying the cheapest (not in a bad way) car Tata Indica Xeta GLG way back in Sep 2007 and God was kind to me that I could pick up the flagship model in Tata lineup - Tata Hexa XTA (my first automatic, https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4262444 (Tata Hexa : Official Review)) in Sep 2017 - in just 10 years. We enjoyed the car, the long drives, admiring looks from people, great memories and the camaraderie of extended Hexa family - Hexatrons Bangalore Group (HBG) and Tata SOUL (SUV Owners United League) group.

Thanks to the brotherhood of HBG and I personally got to know many Hexa owners. Will be missing the breakfast drives and the great conversations & company. The passion for a car, helpful nature of members, bonding over Hexa are all something I experienced first hand thanks to Hexa and I'll remember for long.

Yet I've to move on and I started looking (upon family's insistence) for similar 7 seater full sized SUV and none of the existing models in today's market comes close to Hexa’s ride handling, quality and comfort & at my budget (less than Rs 30 lacs which itself is a big stretch for me). Someway or other the current available line up of 7 seaters seem to be a compromise and they are no match for Hexa in terms of ride quality & tank-like safety IMHO.

What Next?

I did extensive survey of the 7-seater market (family wants next vehicle equivalent to Hexa if not better) and none of the cars match the value, comfort, safety & road presence of Hexa today IMHO. In my survey, I found SUVs either obscenely priced or don't look the part (subjective) or lack certain utility aspects.

Here's a quick review of the SUVs/MUVs I looked at:

Mahindra XUV 700: Nice package with Auto + AWD combo, loaded with tech features to the gills (not sure how they will hold up in the mid to long run plus my experience of how too many electronics if water damaged, will go down the drain). Polarizing looks IMHO (it is subjective) - I don't know how it will age over the next few years, I'm afraid the vehicle might look odd down the years. It costs almost 29 lacs top end AT +AWD at Bangalore on the road price. The biggest downer for me was the insane waiting period of 75 weeks thanks to the ongoing semiconductor chip shortage. Ruled out this beautiful car as I believe I don't have to do tapas to get a vehicle. Reminds me of my Dad's purchase of Bajaj scooter way back in mid-80s thanks to then government policies, production was controlled and waiting period for a Bajaj Chetak was 7 years. He had to settle for a Bajaj Super bought from a broker (technically my Dad was 2nd owner) by paying Rs 7k premium over the price. In this aspect, the more times changes, things remain the same!

MG Hector Plus: Did not want to buy Chinese owned though it is a British brand. Plus the vehicle looked oddly proportioned in certain angles (subjective, no offense to owners). The huge vertical-oriented tablet was a turn off for me as I learn even AC controls are in-built in the unit with no hardware knobs. I believe a driver should not be distracted by such gizmos and his/her focus 100% should be on the road for safety.

Toyota Innova Crysta: Reliable, Resale value, great service center experience, Toyota brand, long engine life (as they say, Toyota outlives its owners!), proven mile muncher were all plus points. But the biggest negative for me was the non-availability of bench seat in 2nd row in the top end ZX AT version. With a kid it is a must for a 2nd row bench seat as it is convenient for her to sleep during long drives. Checked with dealers if seat swap could be done at the dealer level - nope was the answer. At 32 plus lacs on road price at Bangalore, it is an expensive buy which I'm reluctantly OK but the lack of bench seat was a turn off. I'm fine with the lack of creature comforts like panoramic sunroof, connected car features, MPV looks and taxi image but still when it doesn't fulfill my functional requirement, it didn't make the cut.

Ruled out:
1. Kia Carnival - luxurious though, but super expensive for me plus didn't want to drive a van (no offense to owners) and huge size.
2. Hyundai Alcazar - it is a notch down in the pecking order with 1500 cc engine. After using 2000 cc engines for the last 13+ years, I didn't want to downgrade to a lower cc engine.
3. Kia Carens - Same reason as above, both Alcazar and Carens are nice cars which will be appreciated by 1st time owners who upgrade from hatchbacks but when you are used to Hexa-level luxury, they don't make the cut.
4. Mahindra Scorpio (2022 yet to be launched) - This old workhorse was my ride many years ago and I wonder how I put up with the bouncy ride in those days. Heard it is slated for launch in mid-2022 and it is being slotted a notch down Mahindra XUV 700. Not for me!
5. Jeep Meridian - Had a silly wish that this vehicle when launched could be in Rs 30 - 35 lacs price OTR. But nope, heard that it is being slotted in Rs 40 - 45 lacs price range OTR and this is way beyond my budget.

No pre-used vehicle is preferred by myself & family, so there goes the option of pre-worshipped Hexa.

What I found in my hunt for Hexa replacement was, at Rs 25-29 lac range OTR in Bangalore, very few capable 7 seater SUVs are available suiting my needs. Either a notch below (<20 lacs OTR) or above (>30 lacs OTR) you have options but again they are few. IMO, proper 7 seaters SUVs are available only from Tata & Mahindra stable in Rs 25 to 29 lacs OTR price range.

Finally, after reading the entire threat in this forum, ownership reviews, many Youtube review videos and multiple test drives I booked Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition (again a Tata - rather going to be 5th Tata vehicle in our family's ownership history), proves once a Tata customer always a Tata customer! Hoping to take delivery before end of March 2022. Safari is not a perfect replacement for Hexa, for sure there are few features that were not available in Hexa but still I feel Safari is a compromise and not in the league of Hexa. Only Hexa owners will get this. And I know dark colors are a pain to maintain - scratches & dust are visible easily and any dark color is a safety hazard while driving at night especially in highways. I went for dark edition purely for the black seats & interiors (family didn't like Adventure Persona edition Tropical Mist color) as white is super difficult to maintain. I did notice the test drive car front seats were soiled.

I'm looking forward to a new chapter and please wish me good luck! I need tons of them!

Last edited by grkonweb : 23rd February 2022 at 18:52. Reason: Corrected typos
grkonweb is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 18:43   #6093
Distinguished - BHPian

@grkonweb, feel bad reading about your Hexa. And thanks for the points you have shared.

I dont think you can find a true replacement for the Hexa. Wishing you a fresh and happy journey with the Safari. Btw, we are with our 5th Tata too, starting from Aug 2000 !

Regarding the points you have mentioned - I Dont think attempting to seal the exhaust will help, as seen in your case itself where the Auto tranny has water ingress.
condor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 19:50   #6094
BHPian

grkonweb, as a fellow Hexa owner, it pains me to see how your Hexa ownership has ended. Additionally because I came close to a similar situation during the monsoons last year, where the water level had reached till the side steps. Another half to an hour of rains with the same intensity and cannot imagine how it would have ended.

No car looks impressive to me, unless you look at the premium German sedans or the Land Rover SUVs. That's how much the Hexa has spoiled me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grkonweb View Post
Yet I've to move on and I started looking (upon family's insistence) for similar 7 seater full sized SUV and none of the existing models in today's market comes close to Hexa’s ride handling, quality and comfort & at my budget (less than Rs 30 lacs which itself is a big stretch for me). Someway or other the current available line up of 7 seaters seem to be a compromise and they are no match for Hexa in terms of ride quality & tank-like safety IMHO.
Why didn't you consider searching for a lower mileage Hexa?

I know the search would have been a bit tedious, but you could have got hold of a good one for 9-14 lacs I guess.

Either ways, wishing you and your family a happy and safe ownership of the Safari.
TROOPER is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 19:54   #6095
BHPian

@trooper, Pre-owned cars are a big NO for me and my family as we are never sure of their past history despite the service history available. I know for sure my Hexa will be done up at a FNG and sold elsewhere in India to unsuspecting buyers.

Last edited by grkonweb : 23rd February 2022 at 19:56. Reason: Typos
grkonweb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 15:20   #6096
BHPian

Being a Hexa owner myself I can understand your emotional attachment with Hexa. Hexa is such a vehicle which is drive it to believe it. Even though the news of discontinuation of Hexa was confirmed I purchased it in it’s last days. Such was an affection of mine towards Hexa. It is very sad to let go such capable car in such state of situation. It is very hard to find proper replacement of Hexa matching its qualities.

Now you have booked Safari which is very good car in its own capacity, I wish you and your family a happy ownership of Safari.
sandeepsc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 22:32   #6097
BHPian

Quote:
@trooper, Pre-owned cars are a big NO for me and my family as we are never sure of their past history despite the service history available. I know for sure my Hexa will be done up at a FNG and sold elsewhere in India to unsuspecting buyers.
If anyone who can truly repair your car is this guy, he's repairing a flood damaged creata and uploading step by step guide.

Check his other videos.
FASTLIFE is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 09:34   #6098

Quote:
An Abrupt End to my Hexa Ownership

Earlier this month, with a heavy heart I gave up my beloved Tata Hexa to salvage buyer as the beast got flood damaged and was assessed as total loss by insurance company on the basis of repairs estimate provided by authorized service center.

Back in Nov 2021 we are on a trip to a village near Nagercoil, Kanyakumari for an ayurvedic treatment, it was raining heavily. Due to flash floods triggered by opening of dam gates upstream overnight, Hexa was submerged in water till tyre level for 3 days. I couldn't move the vehicle to safer place as it happened overnight and in the morning I was stunned to see the below scene.
It's sad to see a car in pristine condition declared a total loss. I hail from Nagercoil as well and was very lucky to have not lost my Dad's I20 to the floods.

I recently moved from Chennai to Bangalore and was looking to upgrade to a 7 seater from my TN reg Ford Ecosport as I don't want to deal with harassment from Bangalore traffic cops as well as I needed more seats to accommodate my growing family size (2 Dogs + Expecting baby(Covid Additions ). Furthermore, I was specifically looking for an all black SUV, Top End, AT Preowned(better value for money) and managed to find a listing for a Black XUV 500 W11(O) AT for a decent asking price in OLA cars, test drove it on the same day and finished the deal.

Well the XUV 500 is not in the market anymore, so you may have to settle for a preowned one, Nevertheless if you still consider XUV 500 as an option and haven't driven it before, feel free to contact me, you can take mine for a drive to your heart's content before deciding to purchase one, It's the least I could do for your loss.
Ceyen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 08:21   #6099
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceyen View Post
Well the XUV 500 is not in the market anymore, so you may have to settle for a preowned one, Nevertheless if you still consider XUV 500 as an option and haven't driven it before, feel free to contact me, you can take mine for a drive to your heart's content before deciding to purchase one, It's the least I could do for your loss.
Many thanks Ceyen for the kind offer, as I mentioned already in my earlier post I've booked Tata Safari XZA+ and awaiting delivery in March 2022.
Old 28th February 2022, 08:32   #6100
BMK

Quote:
Originally Posted by shramik View Post
I fixed PU inserts on the rear springs.
The ride has changed from a mere "GOOD" to ""JUST AMAZING""
What is this PU insert and how does work & help improve?
Were did you get it done?
Old 28th February 2022, 10:45   #6101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is how my beloved Hexa looked ready to be towed by the salvage buyer...too good to let go!
I got sad just by looking at this picture.

Such a pristine condition vehicle, that too in the most desirable Arizona Blue XTA version. And you had to let it go for no fault of yours.

The new Safari can never be a replacement fundamentally for the Hexa, but the freshness of the vehicle will give you lots of memorable kilometres. Hope to see an onwership report soon.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 10:59   #6102
BHPian

Quote:
Contd from post # 6091
I'm looking forward to a new chapter and please wish me good luck! I need tons of them!
All best wishes on your new Safari. Sad to see your Hexa story end this way. I was thinking this SUV had a high water wading capacity. I even remember someone posting a video of Hexa XTA crossing a stream where the water was at Tyre level. Now we all know that could have been a very costly stunt. We can restrict water getting into the Engine but I think no one thought of the transmission in that case.
Thanks for sharing your views. It's an alarm call for all of us to not venture into deep water with a car even if it's an SUV.
busydrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 12:42   #6103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by busydrive View Post
I even remember someone posting a video of Hexa XTA crossing a stream where the water was at Tyre level. Now we all know that could have been a very costly stunt. We can restrict water getting into the Engine but I think no one thought of the transmission in that case.
Thanks for sharing your views. It's an alarm call for all of us to not venture into deep water with a car even if it's an SUV.
Thanks!

Hexa or for that matter most modern SUVs (including Crossovers, MUVs, MPVs, Compact SUVs, mini SUVs, hatch on stilts wannabes) come loaded with connected car features like many IoT sensors in semiconductor chips and these are not water proof during prolonged immersion in water.

Older cars in the pre-connected car era were simple mechanical-electrical-marginal electronic machines which can be repaired to a large extent in case of flood damage. For a while, I toyed with the idea of picking up an old Mitsubishi Pajero in the used car market mainly for the lack of connected car tech...but I knew sourcing parts will be a problem and I don't have the time or energy to run around procuring them.

Today's connected car era offerings are sensitive to prolonged water damage. So, please use your SUVs carefully as per OEM specifications. Unless they clearly mention the water-wading depth, please do not perform any bravado stunts in water bodies. I see many folks posting pics in Instagram/FB of their modern SUVs crossing streams, rivers and even sea water in beaches which is risky. Such pics & videos look great for bragging & advertisements. And we all know salt water corrodes metal. Crossing a water logged road is fine as along as water doesn't enter the exhaust pipes and the engine doesn't stall but better use discretion. I'm cautioning because I speak from my experience.

Macho-looking SUVs (at least in the Indian car market) are not what they seem after all against the elements. Years ago, my Scorpio couldn't climb over a steep hill trail in Chikmagalur enroute to a hilltop to see the sunset view. It was sliding off and manipulating the clutch, brake, accelerator ended up with clutch burning smell, emitting smoke and the vehicle didn't move. I had to reverse carefully in the narrow mountain trail for about 150 metres with one side deep valley (with my heart in my mouth) and parked in a small clearing on the side. Our homestay caretaker whom we followed behind was dropping another family in the sunset viewpoint in his Mahindra 4x4 jeep. With no mobile phone network in the hills, we were sure soon he will come back looking for us and he did. That's the day I realized the importance of 4x4 even if you are not off-roading. It was obvious I had overestimated Scorpio's capability. Today's FWD SUVs (strictly speaking FWDs are not SUVs but any high ground clearance vehicle with SUV body type is referred as SUV in India) have their limitation including Tata Safari that I've booked.

Besides the FWD's limitations, let's bear in mind the water wading depth of SUVs. When watches (even before smart watch era) can be water proof, why not connected car technology? Is it a technical limitation or a planned strategy to keep the revenues coming in?
grkonweb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 10:34   #6104

@grkonweb: In the photo, your Hexa looks in pristine condition. Sad you had to give it away due to water damage.

Congratulations on getting a new Safari.

That brings to my mind, does anyone know safe wading depth for Hexa? On rare occasions during heavy rains in monsoon season, my garage gets waterlogged to a depth of max 6 inches. In such times, I move out our Fabia to higher ground but used to happily leave Hexa XTA in the garage. I dont know why but I believed I wont have to worry about our Hexa till water logging is a foot deep (and the contours / geography around our garage is such that after 6-8 inch water logging, it starts overflowing onto the street). Your story has opened my eyes!!!! I will be more careful hence forth.
Mika fan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 14:46   #6105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika fan View Post
That brings to my mind, does anyone know safe wading depth for Hexa?
As mentioned in the official review, its 450mm. So should be safe up to a feet and half. But wading is different and being submerged is different. So better not to take a risk. I've decided to park my Hexa at a nearby multi-storey Municipal pay and park, in case there's a severe rain or an orange or red alert given out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Air intake is via the front right fender. The Hexa is rated for 450 mm of water wading.
TROOPER is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed