Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2022, 07:49   #6181
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsekhar2022 View Post
1) Is this a fair/reasonable price? I see Hexa top end same year and similar run cars are all at 15.5 lacs plus these days in used car platforms.
@ccsekhar, the price of about 14L you mentioned looks fair. Hope the check at TASS comes out clean.

One point I would like to ask you is about your planned running. I hope your monthly/annual running is sufficiently high. If it is in the 8-10K range then please rethink on getting a diesel.

From my side, I can only share that I have the Storme, and happy with the vehicle. The engine is same, and it is really good - may not be as powerful compared to others, but sufficient to take care of our running.
condor is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 08:05   #6182
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Been chasing a used Hexa for a while and finally found one to my liking. 2018 XTA driven around 35K and well maintained by the owner. maybe negotiable to around 14.5. Will go for it after a schduled
1) Is this a fair/reasonable price?

2) I need a 7 seater and nothing came close to Hexa for what it offers and want to give my family a good ride too with a reasonably usable 3rd row.
So the choice of the car is well though through and I'm going for an automatic either way - Is city driving really very difficult? I found it alright apart from maybe the turning radius and the parking spot hunts, but the drive seemed alright to me in Bumper to Bumper traffic as well. I have driven the Hexa in almost all conditins now...

3) Jumping into this kinda appreciating what I'm getting into - it's a TATA and a heavy car at it and with TASS to live with...but spare parts availability...is it a real worry from an end user PoV? Especially if I end up in situations where this is the only car I would have for periods of few months stretches in a year?

Many Thanks!
A colleague and friend of mine has a Hexa. Manual Transmission. He’s been using it for the last 4 years and is extremely happy with it. He uses it mainly for long drives from Bangalore to Kannur and back with family including his wife and 2 small kids and his parents at times. And luggage. He consistently speaks very highly of the Hexa.

In March this year some of us had gone on a short off-site - a hilly region around 200kms from Bangalore. We took our personal vehicles and my colleague brought his Hexa.

On this drive, I had occasion to put the Hexa through its paces for a good number of those kms that we covered. And it is a really comfortable and powerful, torquey vehicle with more than adequate top end, to drive on the highways. Yes the typically ‘mushy’ Tata gearbox was evident, but this is no sports car, so one can live with that. The vehicle is very Comfy in the front - driver and passenger seat and equally comfy with good legroom in the second row even with three persons sitting there.

Its like our Indian answer to the Mercedes R Class. A very comfy, powerful, pretty luxurious and stately people mover.

Coming to my submissions towards your questions;
The online car sellers tend to quote slightly higher prices allowing for some negotiation.
The Hexa has never been a very popular car and hence the number of takers for it will be limited, irrespective of its genuinely considerable merit and comfort/ competence as a cruiser.
This vehicle is truly ideal for the highway runs and can be cumbersome in the city, especially a city like Bangalore with narrow roads and difficult parking spaces. It does feel large in the confines of a small town and heavy traffic comprised of small autos and bikes and things.
The hydraulic power steering is heavier than the typical electronic power steering offered by others.
Because it was never a popular vehicle, you are more likely than not, to undergo inconvenience through wait times for spare parts. Also, for the same reason, you’ll have to find a garage/ mechanic who knows enough about this vehicle to ensure good service.
In my view, this cannot be your ONLY vehicle, you will most definitely require a backup car like a Swift or even an S Presso or something.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 13:14   #6183
BHPian

Quote:

2) I need a 7 seater and nothing came close to Hexa for what it offers and want to give my family a good ride too with a reasonably usable 3rd row. Not looking for creature comforts beyond what a 2018 XTA offers already...So the choice of the car is well though through and I'm going for an automatic either way - Is city driving really very difficult? I found it alright apart from maybe the turning radius and the parking spot hunts, but the drive seemed alright to me in Bumper to Bumper traffic as well. I have driven the Hexa in almost all conditins now...Am i missing something or is it my confirmation bias? :-) any first hand experience on frequent city driving of Hexa Automatic would be hugely appreciated.

3) Jumping into this kinda appreciating what I'm getting into - it's a TATA and a heavy car at it and with TASS to live with...but spare parts availability...is it a real worry from an end user PoV? Especially if I end up in situations where this is the only car I would have for periods of few months stretches in a year?

Many Thanks!
I have manual Hexa XT and routinely drive in Mumbai traffic. Heavy steering and notchy gear box sometimes makes the driving cumbersome in bumper to bumper traffic. Automatic Hexa will be any time better in Bangalore traffic.

It is true that there are issues with spare parts availability. It took 10 days for gear box part to arrive at service centre for my Hexa. The SA said I am lucky that part arrived in 10 days. Now you can imagine the part availability situation. The mantra is to go to service centre only for schedule services and inform all the issues at a time. Avoid visiting service centre in between scheduled service for minor niggles due to heavy rush at Centre and might keep vehicles for a day or two for simple issues.
sandeepsc is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 23:00   #6184
BHPian

Quote:
Dear All,

1) Is this a fair/reasonable price? I see Hexa top end same year and similar run cars are all at 15.5 lacs plus these days in used car platforms. Any insight would be very helpful.

2) I need a 7 seater and nothing came close to Hexa for what it offers and want to give my family a good ride too with a reasonably usable 3rd row. Not looking for creature comforts beyond what a 2018 XTA offers already...So the choice of the car is well though through and I'm going for an automatic either way - Is city driving really very difficult? I found it alright apart from maybe the turning radius and the parking spot hunts, but the drive seemed alright to me in Bumper to Bumper traffic as well. I have driven the Hexa in almost all conditions now...Am i missing something or is it my confirmation bias? :-) any first hand experience on frequent city driving of Hexa Automatic would be hugely appreciated.

Many Thanks!
I drive a Hexa Automatic in city daily on the in-famous outer ring road traffic at Bangalore. 50+ kms daily. I earlier used to drive a Dzire. Hexa is way better and easier. Size helps in negotiating easier and not everyone cuts your lane. Steering is heavy at parking, when you are driving it's not an issue at all. This I can say after driving Dzire for 10+ years in Bangalore traffic. I have even taken it through narrow lanes.

I think 14.5 or 15 is a good price.
Regarding spare parts availability the key is periodic maintenance and proactive maintenance. That way you will be able to fix thing before they fail. Also I started understanding diesel cars better after I got the Hexa. The Dzire was petrol - fill it shut it forget it types! Diesel cars aren't of that type. But if you spend time with the car and look for things like coolant/oil level, seepage / wetness around turbo area, brake oil level etc and take care of the car it will serve will well.
busydrive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 14:01   #6185

Thank you all. This feedbacks have really helped. I'm going for the said Hexa XTA and it should be home in a day or two. TAAS has given the green signal too. Many thanks again for all your timely help and advice.
ccsekhar2022 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 17:24   #6186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
The rev noise is coming through speaker with increase in rpm. Song noise is very low, and can only be heard a little after increasing the volume to max level

Unfortunately, the car just went out of standard warranty in Aug 2022 with no extended warranty support.
Apart from the obvious electrical connection issues, this could be a result of some faulty capacitors etc which can theoretically be easily repaired by a competent technician, it could work out to be way cheaper than buying a new unit.

Engine noise coming through speakers is puzzling though, does this car come with active noise cancellation?
The circuitry responsible for that could be faulty which instead of suppressing the engine noise is amplifying it instead, this could be due to many factors like perhaps one of the microphones going bad or even an software issue, that could be tricky to fix, don't go with android units regardless, a pioneer one with Apple carplay and Android auto will cost less than 20k will be much more reliable.
Old 14th October 2022, 19:45   #6187
BHPian

Search for “car audio humming filter”. There are filters available which isolate the amplifier and remove the humm.
Old 14th October 2022, 21:54   #6188
BHPian

This is definitely alternator whine based on how you describe it.

Potential causes :

1 ) Blown / weak capacitors on the power supply unit especially on the side that are on the filter side to clean / stabilize the voltage
2 ) Weak ground - try running a thick copper wire from the ground point / metal casing / screw of the head unit to a naked / unpainted part of the chassis and see if the whine is still there.
akg7091 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 19:09   #6189
BHPian

I tried searching for a remap thread for the Hexa and could not find one and hence this message. I am scheduled at WolfMoto for a stage 1+ remap for my Hexa XT. Anyone in this forum who has remapped the Hexa? If yes any views?

I currently use the Racedynamics kit and got it tuned to take care of the lower-end. While it is definitely better than the stock tune, i feel a re-map is a better alternative given that it is more holistic than the RD kit.

Regarding my driving style, i am relatively on the sedate side touching maximum speeds of 100-110 on the freeways. While the Hexa does brilliantly on the upper-end, the lower-end is where i feel there is an opportunity. There is a dead spot at lower rpms (~>1100) and that is what i am looking to get fixed. I am definitely not a ripper or have any appetite to break speed and time records
Shiwik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 19:23   #6190
BHPian

Dear All,

A big fan of Hexa but could not buy one when it was available in the showrooms. I will be back in India in Dec and I have to plan for a car. In the current crop of cars, I like XUV700 and Jeep Compass (both diesels). I drive about 2 to 2.5k kms/month.

Now a stroke of luck, my colleague is looking to sell his car and I know the car well. It’s a 2018 Sep model XM variant. It currently has 22k in the ODO due to less travel during COVID and then post that he has relocated out of the country. Couple of queries

1. What will be the good price as every portal is quoting across various price brackets from 11 to 14.5 lakhs!
2. Any good service advisor in Kropex or Prerana in Hosur Road who can help with initial checks and future maintenance?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by NaviRai12 : 1st November 2022 at 19:32. Reason: Corrected typos
Old 29th November 2022, 21:35   #6191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaviRai12 View Post
2. Any good service advisor in Kropex or Prerana in Hosur Road who can help with initial checks and future maintenance?
I see this went unanswered. I am not sure on #1 as it's dependent on the individual car's condition.
For 2, you can check at Kropex Koramangala or Prerana Hosur Road/Peenya. They have engineers who had got training on maintaining Hexa during initial days. Others have only learnt things on the job.
busydrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 21:49   #6192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Will check. But before that I want to know where exactly is the car ?
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 02:12   #6193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by busydrive View Post
I see this went unanswered. I am not sure on #1 as it's dependent on the individual car's condition.
For 2, you can check at Kropex Koramangala or Prerana Hosur Road/Peenya. They have engineers who had got training on maintaining Hexa during initial days. Others have only learnt things on the job.
Thank you @busydrive
#1 - Condition can be termed as good to excellent. He has the alloy wheels, reverse camera, side steps and window visors installed from the showroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Will check. But before that I want to know where exactly is the car ?
Thank you @Condor. The car is in Bangalore. Sorry missed posting this in the original query.
Old 30th November 2022, 08:00   #6194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you @Condor. The car is in Bangalore. Sorry missed posting this in the original query.
I am at a loss of words ! The official bangalore is 741 Sq Km. Simple math - about 27 km x 27 km. But I think it is much much more.
Old 30th November 2022, 13:22   #6195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I am at a loss of words ! The official bangalore is 741 Sq Km. Simple math - about 27 km x 27 km. But I think it is much much more.
Oh sorry got it. Car is in Hosa Road, close to Electronic City in Bangalore. Hence was enquiring on any service centre’s in the Hosur Road.

Most Viewed