Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
  Search this Thread
8,066,575 views
Old 13th June 2023, 18:42   #6226
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Pune
Posts: 2
Thanked: 0 Times
Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Hello All,
This is my first post. I own XT 2017 model and now completed 70K on odometer. I am absolutely satisfied with the car and have completed many road trips. Even my parents love its ride quality and comfort on long rides.
But I do find its headlight bit less compared to other big cars. Has anyone experienced it and has anyone gone for upgrades. Pl suggest.
Dabhi73 is offline  
Old 13th June 2023, 22:56   #6227
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 33
Thanked: 36 Times
Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Today, my Hexa XTA's battery suddenly went kaput after working well until few hours before. Got a jumper to get home. Will get it replaced tomorrow.

This forum makes it sound this was due to happen.

Anyways a quick question. The Tata Mannual specifies amperage as 75/80 while battery bhai and it's peer show a 85Ah battery. What am I missing?
AkshatR is offline  
Old 19th June 2023, 10:32   #6228
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 62
Thanked: 169 Times
Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkshatR View Post

Anyways a quick question. The Tata Mannual specifies amperage as 75/80 while battery bhai and it's peer show a 85Ah battery. What am I missing?
Doesn't really matter.
You can buy either 80aH or 85aH, as long as it fits in the bay.

Just to clarify - 80/85aH is not the amperage of the battery, rather it's the charge storage capacity. 80aH for example, means that the battery can supply a current of 1A for 80 hours.
In real life, the current rating of the 80aH and 85aH batteries would be very similar. The 85aH one will have a marginally higher charge holding capacity. You may consider it if you have a lot of electrical accessories, or if you regularly keep accessories switched on without the engine running.

Last edited by vijaysrk : 19th June 2023 at 10:41.
vijaysrk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 10:34   #6229
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 62
Thanked: 169 Times
Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabhi73 View Post
Hello All,
This is my first post. I own XT 2017 model and now completed 70K on odometer. I am absolutely satisfied with the car and have completed many road trips. Even my parents love its ride quality and comfort on long rides.
But I do find its headlight bit less compared to other big cars. Has anyone experienced it and has anyone gone for upgrades. Pl suggest.
This is a very well acknowledged and discussed problem with the Hexa, especially the low beam projectors.
You can try LEDs, but the best solution for the low beams would be a set of good HIDs.
vijaysrk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 10:46   #6230
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 15,804
Thanked: 15,842 Times
Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkshatR View Post
Anyways a quick question. The Tata Mannual specifies amperage as 75/80 while battery bhai and it's peer show a 85Ah battery. What am I missing?
Go ahead. The alternator will handle the 85Ah battery. Like Vijaysrk said, just make sure the battery will fit in there.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 21:24   #6231
BHPian
 
anandtheleo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 415
Thanked: 413 Times
Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Have an annual check up upcoming next week for my Hexa XTA, it's at 105,000 KMs now. Does it make sense to change the automatic transmission oil? Do not face any problem with it for now, just thinking if it's worth the preventive maintenance to the transmission, though the manual says 'filled for life'.

The ASS says the change will cost 12 to 13k, the gearbox takes 11.5 litres of Dexron 6 oil as per the manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-screenshot_2023_0619_172855.jpg  


Last edited by anandtheleo : 19th June 2023 at 21:26.
anandtheleo is online now  
Old 21st June 2023, 10:47   #6232
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 130
Thanked: 312 Times
Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
Have an annual check up upcoming next week for my Hexa XTA, it's at 105,000 KMs now. Does it make sense to change the automatic transmission oil? Do not face any problem with it for now, just thinking if it's worth the preventive maintenance to the transmission, though the manual says 'filled for life'.

The ASS says the change will cost 12 to 13k, the gearbox takes 11.5 litres of Dexron 6 oil as per the manual.
I had my XTA's ATF replaced at 60K kms , TASS did it no fuss. It is suggested to do so eventually as the oil loses its viscosity and FE does drop over time too because of it
mally2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2023, 10:52   #6233
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 130
Thanked: 312 Times
Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed79 View Post
I did Bangalore-Munnar-Bangalore two weeks back. It was a relaxed trip with night halts at Coimbatore, as I did not want to repeat my mistake of Bangalore-Nagpur in one day which had costed me my beloved Storme. Hexa again proved its positive traits. As Manual mode in my Hexa XTA had stopped working, I was worried that I might have to use Manual mode in some steep climbs, which I did not fine anywhere.

Today I took Hexa to my regular TASS Emm Emm Motors to check for Sports and Manual mode of transmission not engaging. They connected the laptop, but did not find any error codes. There is no oil leak from the transmission. They said that can't do anything for it, and I can drive my Hexa in normal Auto Drive mode as long as it works. I am not sure if it is correct. I think there should be some switch at base of gear-stick which engages sports / manual mode when the gear stick is slotted to left side.

Also, TASS owner said that gearbox of Hexa automatic is not available anywhere. One cannot get a new automatic transmission of Hexa, if one needs it. As per him Tata is not able to source the Hexa auto transmission as GM has packed up and left India. I don't find this credible.

What should I do? Should I be worried? Did I make a mistake in buying Dec 2018 manufactured 24k run Hexa XTA for 13.75? The odo is currently at just 27k km.
Sorry it caught my attention that bangalore to nagpur on your storme was a mistake, why may I ask, reason being I will be driving my Hexa to Delhi in the next few months and the first leg is supposed to be Bangalore to Nagpur
mally2 is offline  
Old 21st June 2023, 11:47   #6234
BHPian
 
anandtheleo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 415
Thanked: 413 Times
Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mally2 View Post
I had my XTA's ATF replaced at 60K kms , TASS did it no fuss. It is suggested to do so eventually as the oil loses its viscosity and FE does drop over time too because of it
Thanks for your reply, can you please tell me which ASS you changed the ATF? what was its total cost? and did they change any other spare for the ATF change?
anandtheleo is online now  
Old 21st June 2023, 13:08   #6235
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 130
Thanked: 312 Times
Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
Thanks for your reply, can you please tell me which ASS you changed the ATF? what was its total cost? and did they change any other spare for the ATF change?
I was trying to look at my service history, but the detailed descriptions have disappeared except for my most recent service. As far as my knowledge goes, oil and labor was charged and honestly wasn't expensive
mally2 is offline  
Old 21st June 2023, 14:47   #6236
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 123
Thanked: 714 Times
Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mally2 View Post
Sorry it caught my attention that bangalore to nagpur on your storme was a mistake, why may I ask, reason being I will be driving my Hexa to Delhi in the next few months and the first leg is supposed to be Bangalore to Nagpur
Bangalore to Nagpur is about 1100 kms. Before this trip, I had comfortably done maximum 600 kms in a day on my Storme. We had planned to start from Bangalore at 5:30 AM. The previous evening it had rained, and I could sleep only at 12:00 midnight after putting all the luggage in Storme. I and my wife woke up at 2:00 AM and could not sleep thereafter. After failed attempts to try sleeping, we decided to start at 4:00 AM in the morning thinking that I could park Storme whenever I felt sleepy and could take a short nap.

In a previous similar instance when we had to return from Hyderabad to Bangalore (550 km), and I could not sleep previous night due to acidity (Hyderabadi spicy food), we had delayed our start time by 2 hours, as I woke up late in morning. But this time we could not afford any delay in start time as we had to cover 1100 kms to reach Nagpur before 7 PM (I don't drive in evening and night as I face problem due to lights of oncoming vehicles).

The reason for Nagpur night halt was that there are no good hotels between Hyderabad and Nagpur. Couple of my friends had done Bangalore-Nagpur in a day, so it is certainly doable, but not recommended. After my accident, all of them have switched back to travel by flight to their hometown in north.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mally2 View Post
I had my XTA's ATF replaced at 60K kms , TASS did it no fuss. It is suggested to do so eventually as the oil loses its viscosity and FE does drop over time too because of it
Which TASS in Bangalore did you use for ATF replacement?

Last edited by speed79 : 21st June 2023 at 14:50.
speed79 is online now  
Old 21st June 2023, 15:28   #6237
BHPian
 
theZULU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: New Delhi (NCR)
Posts: 25
Thanked: 114 Times
Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
Have an annual check up upcoming next week for my Hexa XTA, it's at 105,000 KMs now. Does it make sense to change the automatic transmission oil? Do not face any problem with it for now, just thinking if it's worth the preventive maintenance to the transmission, though the manual says 'filled for life'.

The ASS says the change will cost 12 to 13k, the gearbox takes 11.5 litres of Dexron 6 oil as per the manual.
Hello,

I have had the complete ATF flushed and replaced in my Aug 2018 XTA at 80K kms /4.2 yrs. Also got the AT oil cooler replaced as preventive. Total cost incl ATF plus one connecting pipe+ Oil Cooler + Coolant was approx Rs 25K.
The Task was executed at TASS and the technician was fully trained to do the job.

While Tata has indicated ATF is filled for Life, from my Indep research on the web, I have found that incase of 6L50 fitted on a number of other Vehs ATF is recommended to be changed after 5 years or 100K miles (which equals 160000 kms).
Since you have already completed 1 Lakh Kms, I strongly recommend you should go for the ATF change . Trust me you will be able to perceive a noticable difference in the AT as also certainly improve the longevity of the AT.
But it is important to get this done by a well trained technician.

Hope this helps.

Wish you many more miles of happy motoring!

Regards
theZULU is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st June 2023, 15:40   #6238
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 130
Thanked: 312 Times
Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed79 View Post
The reason for Nagpur night halt was that there are no good hotels between Hyderabad and Nagpur. Couple of my friends had done Bangalore-Nagpur in a day, so it is certainly doable, but not recommended. After my accident, all of them have switched back to travel by flight to their hometown in north.

Which TASS in Bangalore did you use for ATF replacement?
Thanks for your detailed explanation, I will be going ahead as I plan to take a full day rest prior and we are two experienced drivers, I have done blr Pune (900km) multiple times so long drives are no issue

Btw the TASS was Adishakti Hebbal Bangalore

Last edited by libranof1987 : 21st June 2023 at 16:13. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Kindly quote only relevant sections of the post.
mally2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2023, 18:43   #6239
BHPian
 
anandtheleo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 415
Thanked: 413 Times
Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by theZULU View Post
Hello,

I have had the complete ATF flushed and replaced in my Aug 2018 XTA at 80K kms /4.2 yrs. Also got the AT oil cooler replaced as preventive. Total cost incl ATF plus one connecting pipe+ Oil Cooler + Coolant was approx Rs 25K.
The Task was executed at TASS and the technician was fully trained to do the job.

While Tata has indicated ATF is filled for Life, from my Indep research on the web, I have found that incase of 6L50 fitted on a number of other Vehs ATF is recommended to be changed after 5 years or 100K miles (which equals 160000 kms).
Since you have already completed 1 Lakh Kms, I strongly recommend you should go for the ATF change . Trust me you will be able to perceive a noticable difference in the AT as also certainly improve the longevity of the AT.
But it is important to get this done by a well trained technician.

Hope this helps.

Wish you many more miles of happy motoring!

Regards
Thanks for the detailed response to my query, very very helpful.

As you rightly pointed out, getting a well trained technician is key to this change. I will double check this with the SA when I submit the vehicle (I also plan to be present in the customer lounge to monitor this change, if possible).

Will keep the thread updated after the service.
anandtheleo is online now  
Old 23rd June 2023, 00:40   #6240
BHPian
 
theZULU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: New Delhi (NCR)
Posts: 25
Thanked: 114 Times
Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
Thanks for the detailed response to my query, very very helpful.
.
You are very welcome amigo!
It's always a pleasure to exchange notes with a fellow Beast Master!! 🙂

Regards

PS Two point I forgot to mention:
1. When the ATF is drained, do check if the technician is uses a pressure pump at the inlet from Oil Cooler to pressure drain the ATF out completely.

2. Even with use of pressure pump approx 2-3 litres of the ATF remains behind within (what the technician refered to) the Torque Convertor Core. This is normal.
theZULU is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks