Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2021, 17:58   #6031
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

I replaced mine, not upgraded like Sherayas was saying, with an Innova ZX AT and immediately bottomed it in the first few kms after taking it out of the showroom. And btw the Toyota delivery experience is by far the worst I have ever had. Let's leave that for some other day.

And a big no if anyone is thinking of going from the Hexa to a Fortuner. It's just way bouncier. Do not buy one without a really long test drive.

Where the Innova trumps Hexa big time is at the engine department. The 2.4 is way quieter and feels almost like a petrol. The sound insulation is top class. Innova has better tires and unbelievably supremely comfortable seats and a fully usable last row seating.
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 00:41   #6032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
'Hexa ividonnum kulungarilla
I can relate to this
NitinDev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 08:08   #6033
BHPian

The only problem with it was

A. The typical lack of quality of all Tata cars during that time
B. Poor quality plastics,

C An unreliable Diesel engine with turbo lag that makes city rides a chore. The AT gearbox they used was excellent though.

D. After sales service that lacked reach and quality of a Maruti, Toyota or Hyundai.

All of this led the model to be out of the market. Maybe if it was launched now, it would have done better.
shabeermohamed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 10:16   #6034
BHPian

Quick question: How do you fill air in the Hexa spare tyre? Does it have to be lowered using the tool? And, if so, do you lower it halfway and then pull it back up?

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 29th October 2021, 10:28   #6035
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolvenk View Post
Quick question: How do you fill air in the Hexa spare tyre? Does it have to be lowered using the tool? And, if so, do you lower it halfway and then pull it back up?

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.
It has to be lowered. Better to fill nitrogen, the pressure is retained for months.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 11:19   #6036
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabeermohamed View Post
A. The typical lack of quality of all Tata cars during that time
B. Poor quality plastics,

C An unreliable Diesel engine with turbo lag that makes city rides a chore. The AT gearbox they used was excellent though.

D. After sales service that lacked reach and quality of a Maruti, Toyota or Hyundai.
Not sure I agree with some of these points. Yes - TML does not have a stellar quality record but the Hexa did not suffer from quality issues. The Aria did - without a doubt but the Hexa has been largely a reliable vehicle.

The interior quality - while not best in class, cannot be classified as "poor quality plastics" either. It is fairly well put together inside and the interiors do look and feel good.

Why would you call the diesel engine of the Hexa unreliable? Any data points?

As for the after sales - yes - quality is an issue but not reach.
Strangerintown is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 12:16   #6037
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerintown View Post

The interior quality - while not best in class, cannot be classified as "poor quality plastics" either. It is fairly well put together inside and the interiors do look and feel good.

Why would you call the diesel engine of the Hexa unreliable? Any data points?

As for the after sales - yes - quality is an issue but not reach.
The vehicle is discontinued due to lack of demand in just 3 years, I suggest you read through our forums to know what are the problems that engine is likely to face. You may add Safari threads for reference to get a full picture.

Varicor is perhaps the best engine Tata has ever made and one can argue that HEXA is probably the best vehicle that Tata has ever made - and that is all there is to it.
Kosfactor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 12:26   #6038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
The vehicle is discontinued due to lack of demand in just 3 years, I suggest you read through our forums to know what are the problems that engine is likely to face. You may add Safari threads for reference to get a full picture.

Varicor is perhaps the best engine Tata has ever made and one can argue that HEXA is probably the best vehicle that Tata has ever made - and that is all there is to it.
Lack of demand is not always a sole indicator of quality. The Varicor is the best engine from the Tata stable but I am not sure which problems in which threads are being referred to as I have not come across anything significant. As for adding the Safari to the equation, are you referring to the DICOR / STORME or the new Safari? The new Safari is not representative being a completely different engine and platform.

Last edited by Strangerintown : 29th October 2021 at 12:27.
Strangerintown is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 13:37   #6039
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
I let go off my Hexa last week for a Fortuner.

To be honest, Fortuner does not feel like an upgrade from Hexa other than for the engine and 4x4. In my opinion, upgrade to Fortuner for a Hexa owner only makes sense if you have a thing for 4x4. Otherwise you will not be able to justify your decision in front of your family. In my case, they clearly called me out saying I spent more than double the money for something less spacious and less comfortable. Tata really spoilt us with Hexa and there simply is nothing less than 50L that will feel like an upgrade, especially to the people who will spend their time in the second and third row.
Congrats on buying the Fortuner.

It is a well known fact that Fortuner's weakest point is its ride quality, while Hexa's strongest point is its ride quality. I am surprised that you did not take a test drive before plonking 5 Million INR on the Fortuner.

Drive the Fortuner in SPORT Mode and you will be surprised with the engine's response. Probably, you were driving in ECO Mode and hence the engine seems to be weaker than the Hexa.
MAS is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 21:49   #6040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Congrats on buying the Fortuner.

It is a well known fact that Fortuner's weakest point is its ride quality, while Hexa's strongest point is its ride quality. I am surprised that you did not take a test drive before plonking 5 Million INR on the Fortuner.

Drive the Fortuner in SPORT Mode and you will be surprised with the engine's response. Probably, you were driving in ECO Mode and hence the engine seems to be weaker than the Hexa.
Exactly my thoughts
Why would someone spend so much money without doing a long test drive ?

Different vehicles different purposes
Dont know of anyone buying a Fortuner for comfort

Best thing is put it on power mode and decimate everything life throws at you .
ecosport rules is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 16:42   #6041
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepsc View Post
Yesterday I observed two strange niggles in my Hexa. The front roof light automatically turns on and off while crossing over speed breakers or large undulations of road. The second niggle observed is, there is a sound of locking and unlocking of rear right door when a car is in running while in actual door is not being locked or unlocked. What could be the reasons for these niggles? Both niggles are irritating but do not want to visit service center just for that as my next service is due in December.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krish11 View Post
It is likely that the rear hatch is not closed properly or the light switch for the rear hatch is a problem. Try closing the hatch firmly or get an adjustment done in TASS.
Don’t know whether this was reply to my above query but you are spot on for the solution to my query. The rear hatch door was not shut properly and tissue paper was trapped in locking part. After reading your post I casually checked the hatch door which was the culprit of those niggles. Now both niggles are gone. I think this might be alert system of Hexa if doors are not properly shut.
sandeepsc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 17:37   #6042
BHPian

One problem solved and another one cropped up now. I was on my way to Nasik and driving as usual. Suddenly while driving the 5th gear got jammed and I couldn’t shift the gear. The gear lever trapped at 5th gear position. I moved the car sideways and tried shifting the gear but gear refuge to come to neutral. Then turn off the car for 5 minutes and pumped the clutch for few seconds. After much hiccups the gear came to neutral position. Now the real problem popped up. The engine turned on and there was no problem till 4th gear. Now the 5th gear started giving trouble. The 5th gear is slotting in its position but not engaging. Means when the gear is slotted in 5th gear it goes into neutral mode and does not accelerate. MID also does not indicate the gear position number. Now the car is running except in 5th gear. I have to directly shift the gear from 4th to 6th skipping 5th gear. Guys need your help and suggestion in this regard before going forward to service center.
sandeepsc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 17:59   #6043
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now the car is running except in 5th gear. I have to directly shift the gear from 4th to 6th skipping 5th gear. Guys need your help and suggestion in this regard before going forward to service center.
Gear lever moves to 5th position but the car appears to be in neutral if I understand it correctly.

Something in the linkage that actuates the 5th gear is broken or bent. I do not think the gearbox needs to be opened or taken down to do this, so it should be relatively inexpensive to fix.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 22:59   #6044
BHPian

Your understanding is absolutely correct. 5th gear fits into the slot but car does not accelerate. It acts as a neutral.

I was thinking somewhat on similar lines but was not sure about how gear shift linkage part can get damaged so suddenly. There was not any issue of shifting of gear before this. Let’s see how service center diagnose it.
Old 1st December 2021, 16:42   #6045
BHPian

Quote:
Now the 5th gear started giving trouble. The 5th gear is slotting in its position but not engaging. Means when the gear is slotted in 5th gear it goes into neutral mode and does not accelerate. MID also does not indicate the gear position number. Now the car is running except in 5th gear. I have to directly shift the gear from 4th to 6th skipping 5th gear.
It seems that there is no end to my problem. The car is at workshop for last 5 days and they are yet to figure out the cause of the problem. As per their diagnosis linkage assembly is ok and there is no wear or damage to any of the parts. After consultation with concerned persons in Tata plant they opened the gear box to check whether Synchronizer sleeve is at fault. However Synchronizer sleeve and other internal parts not damaged as per SA. Now the SA has informed me that they are again consulting with factory people for further analysis. The car is June-19 manufactured, purchased in Jan-20 and driven only 23K kms and facing this major transmission issue.
sandeepsc is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks