Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2021, 19:08   #6001
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Downsizing to 17" or 18" will be a better option in my opinion i.e. 235/65/R17 or 235/60/R18. The reason being, these are popular sizes and offers wide range of tyres, and secondly it will offer better handling than 16 inchers
Old 16th September 2021, 18:08   #6002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
My query is

1. What should be the profile of tyre that I should buy for the 16 inch Steel rims?
2. Which tyre in specific - H/T or AT? I am inclined towards Bridgestones, but open to suggestions.
Here are the best choices you have. Since Hexa shares the same platform of the Storme and Aria you can run their stock size.

1. 235/70 R16
2. 235/65 R17 (last batch of Storme and Aria had these as stock)

Also with this size you can save considerable amount per tire. I'm running 235/65 R17 on Aria alloys and the ride is quite good, not as plush as the 16" but will be a lot better than 19"..
varun560061 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 21:56   #6003
BHPian

Guys, since we are on the topic of tires I need some advice from you all. I have the 19s on my XTA. They’ve run about 25k. I am planning on a trip from Pune to Uttarakhand or Kashmir next month and the tire availability has put me in a fix. It seems that the 19in MRF tires are not available with any dealer and they need to be ordered through TASS. Even after placing an order it takes a while for them to procure it.
I am travelling with my wife and I don’t want to be stranded at some remote location with no full size tire available in case I have a slashed/torn tire. The 16in spare will not last a trip back to Pune (~2000kms). My wife is not too comfortable on taking a chance and lugging an extra 19in tire is not an option due to luggage and my dog. Any suggestions on what can be done? Should I downsize to 17s with new rims and tires or take a chance with the 19s?
yd_gli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 22:25   #6004
Distinguished - BHPian

^ Maintain exact cold air pressure and drive carefully over rough patches. You can over fill by 2 PSi if the route is going to be a bit rough, you should be alright.

The outer diameter of the spare should be more or less the same so you can drive long distance with it, should it be required.
Kosfactor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 19:37   #6005
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

What happened to the XMA 4x4 BS6? It does show up on Boodmo!

Tata Hexa : Official Review-hexa.jpg
Old 21st September 2021, 12:40   #6006

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
What happened to the XMA 4x4 BS6? It does show up on Boodmo!

Attachment 2209658
Interestingly, the Tata Hexa site is still online and it is still referring to BS4 version engine - https://cars.tatamotors.com/suv/hexa

There are many Youtube channels which claim about the Hexa launch later this financial year. They even claim about some of the design elements and features that the car would get. But none of them site a trustworthy source and I feel like they are mere speculations.
anil_rnair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 12:53   #6007
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yd_gli View Post
Guys, since we are on the topic of tires I need some advice from you all. I have the 19s on my XTA. They’ve run about 25k. I am planning on a trip from Pune to Uttarakhand or Kashmir next month and the tire availability has put me in a fix. It seems that the 19in MRF tires are not available with any dealer and they need to be ordered through TASS. Even after placing an order it takes a while for them to procure it.
I am travelling with my wife and I don’t want to be stranded at some remote location with no full size tire available in case I have a slashed/torn tire. The 16in spare will not last a trip back to Pune (~2000kms). My wife is not too comfortable on taking a chance and lugging an extra 19in tire is not an option due to luggage and my dog. Any suggestions on what can be done? Should I downsize to 17s with new rims and tires or take a chance with the 19s?
If money is not a problem, get a spare 19 inch alloy and tyre before you go for the trip
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 11:04   #6008
BHPian

Quote:
I really dont see a reason why they should not last. You have done only 25k on them, also you can run on spare wheel all the way back to Pune. Uttarakhand or Kashmir roads are not that bad. But if you are still skeptical, You can go for Ultramile 19 inch tyres, should be easily available with Mehta Tyres Tilak road.

On the other hand downsizing to 16 or 17 makes a lot of sense, for two reasons, 19 inch tyres cost a lot (nearly 14 to 15k per piece), in that price you can go for new 16 inch wheels (alloy or steel) and tyres, and it will save a lot of future tyre cost too. Moreover no availability issues like 19 inchers. In the same calculation, 17 inch may cost a little more but still worth it.
throttleking is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 23:05   #6009
BHPian

Dear Team

I have been on the lookout for a large SUV / MPV for my family

I seriously considered the Hexa, but after discussion with family, I was dissuaded from considering a Hexa (pls ref posts 5933-5935)

I was solely looking at Innova Crysta and was on the hunt for one, but used examples are commanding a hefty premium - I'm able to accommodate the Crysta in my budget, but I'm having second thoughts on plonking down a big amount on a car which will be used very sparingly (we already have two other cars, so the large car will only be used for holidays)

So I'm seriously thinking about the Hexa again - the problem is used examples are very rare where I live, unlike metros like Mumbai.

Just browsed the classifieds today and there was a Hexa listed yesterday - the details are as follows

Year - 2017 (Sep 2017 registered)
KM - 98,000
Variant - XTA
Color - White
No of owners - 2

ad claims authorized service maintained, no accidents and extended warranty till 1.5 lakh KM

Asking price is 12.50 lakhs

Should I consider this vehicle? My concern is mileage is on higher side and next owner will be 3rd owner

What would be a reasonable offer to give the seller if the vehicle is worth considering?

One thing lingering in my mind - on higher mileage Hexas, can Tata service center do an automatic transmission fluid replacement (with new filter and gasket)? If not at the authorised service center, are the ATF oil, filter and gasket availble to buy from the open market so an FNG can do the job?

I have read that the ATF oil in the Hexa is "for life", but I don't believe in that. All oil breaks down over time and needs replacement. I'll be a lot more at ease when looking at higher mileage Hexas, if the ATF fluid + filter can be replaced.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts

Thank You
Games Goblin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 11:33   #6010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Games Goblin View Post

Year - 2017 (Sep 2017 registered)
KM - 98,000
Variant - XTA
Color - White
No of owners - 2

ad claims authorized service maintained, no accidents and extended warranty till 1.5 lakh KM

Asking price is 12.50 lakhs
Asking price is way too high. I picked 2018 Hexa XTA, 1st owner, 26000kms on ODO for 13.25L from Cars24.

I suggest you check platforms like OLA Cars, Olx Cars and Cars24, and see the available options.

Another point, there are many threads on used car purchase guidance please check, but in general most of us prefer used cars driven less than 50k kms.
throttleking is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 20:37   #6011
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It all depends on the state of your current tyres, how much tread is left, how many punctures already etc.,

A straightforward option is to buy 4 19" wanderer tyres from MRF dealers. Yes, they are available - at least here in Bangalore. A few other makes are also available in the market, you can check with your tyre dealer or on the Hexa Telegram group. You need not go via TASS.

Take along a air compressor and puncture kit, you and your better half will have peace of mind.
smsrini is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 22:11   #6012
BHPian

Quote:

For a vehicle that has just run 25k kms, your 16" spare should be in decent shape. Hence, I am not sure why you are having jitters in regards to its usability for your trip in case of an eventuality.

Now, if you are planning on replacing the 4 tyres, you have the option to go for 255/55 R19 GoodYears with 2 years unconditional replacements.

Sharing feedback on the tyres from a user on the Telegram group of Hexa owners:
"3000KM Roadtrip @ Goodyear 255/55/19 Inch tyres

Last week, I had to take a week long trip. In the process, covered 3000 Km. Prior to this trip, I drove around 15000Km on GoodYear Tyres.

My Observations:
1. The smoothness of the drive was clearly perceivable

2. Road Noise was extremely low. Have driven for about 100Km without Music. The beast was just gliding through.

3. Tyres have negotiated well with the unexpected speed breakers and potholes even at a speed of 80 to 90Kmph

4. Breaking is extremely good. Tyres did not create any screeching sounds, despite sudden breaks at 100Kmph speed.

5. Have driven in a heavy rain for about 150Km. Tyres were firm and intact even at a speed of 100Kmph (NH 44). Breaking was on spot despite the speed and wet surface.

6. Have driven in a curvy road for about 150Km (Madanapalle to Anantapur of Andhra Pradesh. People who are familiar with this route can vouch for the curves). Extra Grip of 20mm in GooodYear has come handy. The drive was very stable and balanced.

7. Fuel Efficiency was 13.5 KMPL at an average speed of 90 to 100KMPL. Personally, I felt that MRFs had given 15 to 16KMPL at those speed. That was my personal observation, though.

8. Tyre Pressure was always between 34 and 38. Only once, one of the tyres just kissed 40 and sensiary did send an alarm. Except that, tyre pressure was always under the limit.

9. Smoothness of the tyres goes very well with Comfort Mode. It was pure joy. The beast was under dynamic mode for about 50Km when a crysta irritated me for a while. Honestly, I did not like the drive quality in that window. Learnt that these tyres and the drive was not enjoyable when we are in the EGO mode.

Will complete 20000KM on GY tyres by the end of this month. And will go for my 2nd round of alignment and rotation. This time, I will try the hunter machine"

PS: I am personally using the same size on my vehicle and have similar feedback on the tyres.

Last edited by MS_Auto : 29th September 2021 at 22:12.
MS_Auto is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 22:34   #6013
BHPian

Hi all

today, I went and saw the car - talked with the owner and got more details of the car

It's a Sep 2017 registered car - XTA 6 seater - ODO now close to 1 L KM

The car was originally PY registered and the current owner had it changed to Kerala registration

Owner mentioned that the head was replaced under warranty - I remember reading posts here on TBHP about this

Also, car is under extended warranty till 1.5 lakh KM which expires next year (can this be extended?)

The car overall can be termed as in okay condition

My father and our trusted mechanic came along for inspecting the car

The top part of the car (along the roof rails) have paint chipped away at some spots and some rust formation - the owner mentioned that the previous owner improperly fixed roof rails and that's what caused this:

Tata Hexa : Official Review-rust-roof-rails.jpg

the weather strips along the doors have faded and look old - driver door handle recess area has lots of scratches

Driver Door:

Tata Hexa : Official Review-weather-strip-driver-door.jpg

One of the other doors

Tata Hexa : Official Review-weather-strip-passenger-door.jpg

there were numerous other scratches

The top part of the headlights had some wear:

Tata Hexa : Official Review-discoloration-headlight.jpg

Weather strip on the windshield was broken on one edge

Tata Hexa : Official Review-weather-strip-windshield.jpg

Now, coming to the engine - I have taken a video of the engine idling

Please see the video and check if the engine noise and vibrations are normal for a Hexa as it's the first time I'm seeing a Hexa

battery looks old - looks like corrosion on the terminals and the battery holder looks to be in poor shape

My mechanic inspected the underbody and spotted this leak

Photo taken from underneath

Tata Hexa : Official Review-engine-oil-leak-observed-underneath.jpg

Photo taken from the engine bay

Tata Hexa : Official Review-oil-leak-top-side.jpg

My mechanic suspects it to be a leak from the rear main seal and mentioned it would be an engine out job to replace that seal if it were the case

other issues spotted

- one of the wiper blades were not working

- one of the underbody trims were loose

- spotted additional wiring in the engine bay - owner has installed additional horns and an extra switch for the same has been installed in the trim piece underneath the steering - that trim piece is ill fitted

Interiors are in okay condition

--- now on to the driving experience

I sat in the driver seat and fired up the engine - first thing I noticed was vibrations on the steering wheel (could see the steering wheel and ORVM glass vibrating) - slotted it into D and set off - vibrations disappeared

was impressed with driving the car - first time I'm driving a hexa and I was immediately comfortable driving it - even though it's a big car, it does not feel that big when driving. Gears seemed to shift well

After driving for a stretch - handed it over to my mechanic - he too observed the vibrations and mentioned that both engine and gearbox mountings need replacement

Took it over a bad stretch of road and car was composed - no untoward noises

Ended the test drive and parted ways with the Hexa

-- so what say? - worth making an offer on this car? Checked OBV and it shows a valuation of 9.3L for fair condition.

The problems with this car are that the next owner will become 3rd owner and it's a re-registered car - both these things kill re-sale value - at least in my state - on top of that Hexa was a slow selling model and now out of production

Can the oil leaks and mountings be fixed under warranty?

Is it worth making an offer of 8 lakh for this car? Owner seems honest (he told me about re-registration etc upfront)

Eager to hear your thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
Asking price is way too high. I picked 2018 Hexa XTA, 1st owner, 26000kms on ODO for 13.25L from Cars24.

I suggest you check platforms like OLA Cars, Olx Cars and Cars24, and see the available options.

Another point, there are many threads on used car purchase guidance please check, but in general most of us prefer used cars driven less than 50k kms.
Thank you throttleking for the reply and congrats on getting your Hexa!

The issue I'm facing is - I'm from Kochi, Kerala and Hexas are relatively rare here - I installed cars 24 app and there are no Hexas available for sale in my city - when I switch location to Mumbai, I see a lot of Hexas listed.

There are a few cars on OLX, but most of them are a few hours away from me

I am thinking of looking for a car from Mumbai (like buying one from Cars24 like you did), but it won't be easy for me - travelling to Mumbai, getting the car inspected (if there are any dealbreakers, it'll be a wasted trip), driving the car back, re-registration etc

Best Regards
Games Goblin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 08:06   #6014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Games Goblin View Post
Owner mentioned that the head was replaced under warranty - I remember reading posts here on TBHP about this
---------------------------------------------------------
Also, car is under extended warranty till 1.5 lakh KM which expires next year (can this be extended?)
----------------------------------------------------------
Is it worth making an offer of 8 lakh for this car? Owner seems honest (he told me about re-registration etc upfront)
Walk away from this deal. I am an ex- owner of Hexa and loved the vehicle but I would still not go for this specific model.
You can see already the exact same issues many owners are currently facing.
To answer your questions:
1. One owners who had their head replaced, had faced the same issue again after a while so there is no guarantee the first fix holds.
2. Extended warranty cannot be extended any more after next year.
3. I am a bit worried for the rusting bit and the leak
4. Hexa is a dream of a drive. If you can find a direct owner selling his car, well maintained, less than 50K on ODO, its worth considering may be if the price is right.

Last edited by swarnava.ch : 5th October 2021 at 08:07. Reason: Modifying Pt 3
swarnava.ch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 14:27   #6015

Dear Forum members, this is my first post on Team Bhp.

I own a 2018 Hexa XTA. I have had a hassle free experience until now.

However, in the last one month, have noticed that the gear lever is at times getting locked/ stuck.

Am unable to move from Park or even from Neutral to Drive. Solution has been to switch off the car completely and re-start. The lever then moves.

Would appreciate guidance on this issue. Is this an urgent issue and do I need to take the vehicle to the service centre ASAP. Thanks.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 5th October 2021 at 16:17. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Aashdin19 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks