Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2019, 08:48   #5116
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Congratulations 5kmiles on following your heart and acquiring the Hexa 4×4. I think you are one of the rare members here who has a 4×4. Any particular reason for the same? Regarding the gearshifts, they will get much smoother as you rack up the miles. Best of luck and keep us all updated.
Old 27th October 2019, 12:37   #5117
Vmv
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kmiles View Post
Picked my Hexa XT 4x4. Attaching some pics. Have done around 500 odd KMs. Bought it after evaluating the full size SUVs like Fortuner and endeavour. This replaces my XUV.

Will.update this post after Deepawali.
Happy Deepawali
Congratulations on your new ride

How is the ride comfort with 17" wheels, compared with 19" ?

And found Hexa is doing Airport duty
Source : FB respective owner
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-fb_img_1572159354967.jpg  

Vmv is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 05:52   #5118
BHPian

Quote:
Picked my Hexa XT 4x4. Attaching some pics. Have done around 500 odd KMs.

Neutral;
1. Steering - heavy but not deal breaker heavy.
Congratulations mate! Wonderful choice. I love that color, though I have a blue color on my hexa, I still drool when any great white pass through. Regarding heavy steering, there were lot of jokes that were going on during initial days, my favorite being you dont need to go to gym if you drive an hexa Believe me, I would be freaking scared to drive the beast if it was any lighter. Give it a few more days and your muscles will get used to it. Enjoy your drive
Old 29th October 2019, 01:05   #5119
BHPian

Can someone please provide comparison between the bench seat and captain seat layout of Hexa? Apart from the sitting capacity of 3 vs 2, any finer differences?
Old 29th October 2019, 08:21   #5120
BHPian

Quote:
Picked my Hexa XT 4x4. Attaching some pics. Have done around 500 odd KMs. Bought it after evaluating the full size SUVs like Fortuner and endeavour. This replaces my XUV. Comments are from that context.
Congrats on getting the Hexa 4X4. Looks awesome in White.

Any reason you went for the 4X4 version? Just want to know the use case. And which tires came stock with it? Looking forward to long term updates.
Old 29th October 2019, 09:57   #5121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
Can someone please provide comparison between the bench seat and captain seat layout of Hexa? Apart from the sitting capacity of 3 vs 2, any finer differences?
Well apart from accommodating one person less the 6 seater version provides almost the same seats as the front in the back. But with limited adjustability. So you can adjust them fore and aft and also recline them but you cannot change the height. Lumbar support is also provided. The captain seats are much more comfortable than the bench but there are a few caveats

1. They do not fold completely flat rather they just flip forward so the load lugging ability is reduced.

2. You can never use it as a 7 seater in those rare instances.

3. To access the 3rd row, the best way is to walk between the two captain chairs which is a bit more cumbersome than what you can do by flipping and folding the bench.

So if you are pretty sure that you are never going to need the 7th seat then go for the 6 seater version with your eyes closed.
ram87pune is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 15:27   #5122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
1. They do not fold completely flat rather they just flip forward so the load lugging ability is reduced.

2. You can never use it as a 7 seater in those rare instances.

3. To access the 3rd row, the best way is to walk between the two captain chairs which is a bit more cumbersome than what you can do by flipping and folding the bench.

So if you are pretty sure that you are never going to need the 7th seat then go for the 6 seater version with your eyes closed.
Thanks, this is the answer I was looking for.

1. This is a concern. So the 6 seater not only carries fewer people, but also less cargo.
3. This is fine for me. The elderly will anyway never be sent to the 3rd row.

About needing 7th seat, this is India. So we can never say never.

I am confused between a used Hexa XTA and Renault Triber. From what I read, Triber claims to have about 690 litre of boot space on removing the third row. Hexa has similar space when both 2nd and third rows are folded. Triber is also much smaller. This makes me wonder if it is worth carrying the heft of Hexa.
pseudo_coder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 15:38   #5123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am confused between a used Hexa XTA and Renault Triber. From what I read, Triber claims to have about 690 litre of boot space on removing the third row. Hexa has similar space when both 2nd and third rows are folded. Triber is also much smaller. This makes me wonder if it is worth carrying the heft of Hexa.
Sorry if I sound rude but how on earth can you compare the Triber with the Hexa? The only similarity that exists between them is that both are 7 seater MPVs that's it. Rest everything is as different as chalk and cheese.

Buy the Triber only and only if you have budget constraints or if you want a small 7 seater which is easily maneuverable in city traffic. Also a top end Triber is 7.5 lakh OTR Pune, so a used XTA is always going to be more than 10 lakh unless it has clocked a lot of kms and/or is in not so good condition.
ram87pune is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 17:07   #5124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Unless installing a rooftop luggage carrier is a concern (in case cops in your city/area are hyperactive), boot space in the Hexa shouldn't be a problem.

Step 1 - Install a good rooftop luggage carrier
Step 2 - Get the Amazon Basics rooftop luggage carrier bag from Amazon.in
Step 3 - Secure this luggage cover to the carrier, keep all your luggage within it, and zip the cover shut. Not even a single drop of water or dust seeps into this bag. Let your prospective Hexa's internal room be used by its occupants alone.

Sample review of this particular carrier bag - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post4418847 (Small, yet value-adding Accessories for your car)

Last edited by locusjag : 29th October 2019 at 17:11.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 18:32   #5125
BHPian

Quote:
I own a Triber and I thought of adding my points to the discussion.
1. If you think safety is your priority, Hexa should be your choice. Though the Triber comes with 4 airbags, I can say that it is no way close to Hexa with 2 airbags. But I can say that it is built better than many Maruti cars in the market. The doors are strong and you feel the 'thud' here. The shorted bonnet deprives safety. Other than that, the car feels safer than Swift and Baleno(subjective).
2. Regarding the engine, it purely depends on the car you come from. Triber's is definitely a small one and can get stressed crossing 100kmph fully loaded. It is a winner for those who don't need speed. Cruising at 80kmph with full load ain't an issue. I have tried that. From the inputs, it has been used in Clio and Sandero in other markets and the engine is very reliable. I can give you an idea.
Easily, it can pull 7 people at 90kmph. It can cruise at 100-110 kmph with 4 people on board. Alone, the engine can pull you at 120kmph after which the engine stresses out. It can go at 120kmph with 7 people on board, but the engine screams. I have personally tried these. 140kmph is the top speed I touched to date.
3. Space: This is the point with which the car is made of. Visually, the 3rd row looks cramped but believe me, it can fit a full-sized adult comfortably. You should check this out in person and I am sure, you will be surprised by the engineering. Renault engineers worked like Real Estate guys here and they have amazingly utilized every square cm in this aspect.
4. Practicality: This is the USP. As you mentioned, removing the 3rd row gives you 625 liters and 5 seats. That is amazing. Also, you can remove only one seat to make it a 6 seater with 320 liters.
5. Ride and handling: You can say that it is inherited from Duster. Not good as a Renault duster, but definitely better than almost all the cars in the less than 10 lakh segment. It takes on bumps and potholes like a cakewalk. The car has an amazing road presence too. The steering is super light, unlike Tata Hexa.
So, what I can say is that Triber might fit you if,
1. It is extensively for the city. It surely has road presence in highways but lacks speed.
2. Light on budget. Ours was Rs.7.70 Lakh OTR in Chennai. RXZ with an extended warranty and 3 years insurance.
3. Easy maneuverability. Light steering and compact size. Although the 1st and 2nd gears are short which means you want to work on them more.
You can definitely check out one. I hope this helps!
Thanks!
Jagann13 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 05:40   #5126
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry if I sound rude but how on earth can you compare the Triber with the Hexa? The only similarity that exists between them is that both are 7 seater MPVs that's it. Rest everything is as different as chalk and cheese.

Buy the Triber only and only if you have budget constraints or if you want a small 7 seater which is easily maneuverable in city traffic. Also a top end Triber is 7.5 lakh OTR Pune, so a used XTA is always going to be more than 10 lakh unless it has clocked a lot of kms and/or is in not so good condition.
I know, my shortlist is weird.

I need a car with easy ingres for parents. So sedans and most hatchbacks are out. I don't want to spend a bomb, and can't stand very high fuel bills. Also, automatic is highly desired. Also, ability to sit more than 5 is nice to have. I have parents, wife and 2 infants.

So I am mostly looking for used cars. A duster diesel AMT, Creta diesel auto will work for me. But Duster AMT is hard to find and Creta sellers ask for too much. Brezza I am avoiding, because 4 meter SUVs feel a bit cramped (and price also high). Can take if I find a good deal. BR-V CVT is also fine, bht again, rhard to find.

Hexa is a desire, not need. Since I see high discounts in the uses car market, a used Hexa comes close to my budget. I am also hoping that it will seduce me to go for tours more often.

Triber is the only new car I am considering, for the incredible value and practicality. If it had an automatic, it was game over for all other options.
Old 30th October 2019, 08:29   #5127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
Congrats on getting the Hexa 4X4. Looks awesome in White.

Any reason you went for the 4X4 version? Just want to know the use case. And which tires came stock with it? Looking forward to long term updates.
Thanks mate. Tyres came with Goodyear Wrangler Triple Max. I wanted to get pirelli scorpion all terrain plus, which are simply the best onroad + off-road tyres based on my limited research. Pirellis available in the market were over 1.5 years old and hence didn't pick those.

4x4 - my previous ride was XUV AWD. I understand that RWD HEXA will be very capable but use cases like heading to Shimla when it snows plus the occasional slush and river streams prompted me to go for 4x4. Didn't want to take chance with the family. And maybe I will develop some interest in mild off-roading at some stage.

Quote:
I opted to 6 seater:
1. Very very comfortable captain seats. My car will have max 6 pax with driver.
2. Kids and other rear benchers feel connected during the ride.
3. I intend to carry all the luggage on rooftop for the long drives. Captain seats give more space for the small items for the long drives
4. 80-90% of usage is with 3 4 pax. 6 seater wins because of additional comfort.

Other differences have been detailed by fellow BHPians. I overlooked the negatives for my usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxinboy View Post
Congratulations mate! Wonderful choice. I love that color, though I have a blue color on my hexa, I still drool when any great white pass through. Regarding heavy steering, there were lot of jokes that were going on during initial days, my favorite being you dont need to go to gym if you drive an hexa Believe me, I would be freaking scared to drive the beast if it was any lighter. Give it a few more days and your muscles will get used to it. Enjoy your drive
Thanks mate. Gearbox is already starting to work very well. I have no concerns at all with gearbox now other than slightly hard 1st for the first few KMS. It will get sorted as well I think. Drove it for 6 hours last week. 4 hours of which was in Diwali traffic in Delhi. Am comfortable with the steering as well. All round visibility and high seating makes up well.for these minor issues..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmv View Post
Happy Deepawali
Congratulations on your new ride

How is the ride comfort with 17" wheels, compared with 19" ?

And found Hexa is doing Airport duty
Source : FB respective owner
Thanks mate.

Ride quality is awesome. Can't compare with the 19 inch ones as test drive vehicles had run over 40k and not the best maintained either.

Quote:
Congratulations 5kmiles on following your heart and acquiring the Hexa 4×4. I think you are one of the rare members here who has a 4×4. Any particular reason for the same? Regarding the gearshifts, they will get much smoother as you rack up the miles. Best of luck and keep us all updated.
Thanks mate. 4x4 - shared inputs earlier in the post.
5kmiles is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2019, 07:51   #5128

After lot of research went ahead and booked Hexa XT 4x4 Tungsten Silver 7 seater. As per VIN allocated it shows May 2019. Please advice if it is okay to proceed.

5kmiles @ congratulations and what was your manufacturing date.

Also dealer is asking for confirmation from me to bill the vehicle to freeze the offer. Is it advisable to bill the car prior to PDI. Please advice
Old 1st November 2019, 12:29   #5129
BHPian

Finally after lot of confusion over AT vs MT, booked the Hexa XM+ 4X2 variant (7 seater) from Bafna Motors, Law college Road, Pune. Color: Tungsten Silver.

Initially wanted to book the XMA, however XM+ offers a lot more features (atleast 10-12 additional features) over XMA. That too, at a difference of 20k than XMA. Hence, I felt its complete VFM.

Also took a test drive of the manual variant, following were my observations:

1. Clutch is super light. (I owned a skoda Rapid diesel, which i found had a heavier clutch).
2. 1st and 2nd gear were notchy, however got used to it after 15-20 minutes of driving.
3. Each gear has enough grunt provided you keep the gears under correct RPM range.
4. Manual when compared to automatic provides a lot more control over the car. Automatic just shoots off from the 3rd gear and further. The only way to control it are the brakes which I felt does not give me complete control over the car.
5. Test drive vehicle had 19 inch wheels, maybe from the older lot of Hexas. Steering felt quite heavy in bumper to bumper traffic. However mine will have 16 inch wheels, so it will be lot better to maneuver in traffic.

XM+ costed 18.28 lacs OTR Pune. After a lot of negotiations, I could squeeze a discount of Rs. 1.18 lacs for the 2019 model. 2018 models had a flat discount of 1.50 lacs, however I preferred the 2019 model.

I wanted to buy insurance online, hence I compared insurance amount on policybazaar for a new car. Comprehensive insurance + Zero Dep + Engine protection cover + Key replacement + Consumables was costing 60K (Tata AIG). Tata motors is offering the same at 101554. Informed the dealer and he agreed to adjust insurance amount around the same cost.

Below is the bifurcation of the discount offered.:
Cash Discount: 50000
Insurance amount adjusted: 39000
Additional Cash Discount: 15000
Logisitic Charges: 9000
Corporate discount: 5000

Planning for PDI check and delivery in next couple of weeks. Will post pictures after delivery.

Last edited by Satshan : 1st November 2019 at 12:30. Reason: unwanted spaces removed
Satshan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st November 2019, 15:14   #5130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barista View Post
As per VIN allocated it shows May 2019. Please advice if it is okay to proceed.
Firstly, congratulations on making this excellent, and more over, extremely smart choice with your money.

A May 2019 VIN isn't an issue. 5 months in the factory yard won't have caused any major issues. Plus, at this point, with a slow selling vehicle like the Hexa, production has been wound down to quite an extent - so a 5 month old VIN for a particular variant (bear in mind that this car offers a lot of variants) isn't exactly a surprise.

Quote:
Also dealer is asking for confirmation from me to bill the vehicle to freeze the offer. Is it advisable to bill the car prior to PDI. Please advice
Under no circumstances should you do that. This is a classic BS tactic by idiot salesmen.
He has to bill the vehicle in full from the factory by paying the ex-factory amount himself once you have paid only the booking amount.

Do not pay before PDI. It is a needless risk with a large sum. You will be stuck with the dealer at the very least, and at worst a car which fails PDI. Rare. But risky. Just don't.

P.S. Family friend's are probably going to book an XTA today.

Last edited by Mu009 : 1st November 2019 at 15:16. Reason: Semantics
Mu009 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks