Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2019, 19:51   #511
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk2kin View Post
I think I have a dead battery on my Tiguan; on Twisting the ignition key the car won't start, all the lights were flickering, and cabin lights were dim. 17K on the Odometer, 2-year-old vehicle and the battery dies on you :(

Does VW cover the battery under warranty? I have opted for 1+3 year extended warranty. Called the dealer and requested them to send the roadside assistance in the morning.

It is dead battery. Happened with me while I was on a highway. Roadside assistance came for rescue and the battery was replaced under warranty.

As far as I know the extended warranty does not cover battery.
Old 27th November 2019, 21:26   #512
BHPian

Quote:
I think I have a dead battery on my Tiguan; on Twisting the ignition key the car won't start, all the lights were flickering, and cabin lights were dim. 17K on the Odometer, 2-year-old vehicle and the battery dies on you :(

Does VW cover the battery under warranty? I have opted for 1+3 year extended warranty. Called the dealer and requested them to send the roadside assistance in the morning.
Hi Amit,

Do you know the Brand and model of your old battery (the dead one). That will be good reference for us so that we can be prepared that ours could die suddenly.

Did they replace it under warranty? What was the replacement battery?
showboat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 10:29   #513
BHPian

In my cars in the past (including Skoda Rapid) I used get some indicators like delayed crank on cold start when the battery is nearing its end of life. Reading through the incidents of failure here in the Tiguan forum I feel it's coming out of the blue. I have a multi meter with me which I use to check the volt readings every now and then. Also, I have the VW connect dongle paired to the VW App which shows the battery reading when you connect. Hope these measures will make the battery failure not to be a surprising incident
Old 28th November 2019, 20:46   #514
BHPian

Roadside assistance came over and jump-started the Tiguan, they confirmed that battery needs a replacement, upon checking with the workshop, the confirmed that the battery isn't in stock and would take a week or two arrive.
Left with no option, I decided to go to the local store and get it replaced. (they were very specific not to change the specifications of the battery, warranty issues if the specification were changed). I got the 60 Amp Exide battery with a 30-month replacement warranty. Post the change my Tiguan is running normally. At the workshop, I spoke to the technician who was reaplcing the battery, he said these days most of the cars come for a battery replacement within the two-year mark, is that right? members your views. Also, I got Exide battery of the same specification with a 3-year replacement warranty, why cant the car companies extend the same to the customers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by showboat View Post
Hi Amit,

Do you know the Brand and model of your old battery (the dead one). That will be good reference for us so that we can be prepared that ours could die suddenly.

Did they replace it under warranty? What was the replacement battery?
Exide came with the car and battery is not covered under warranty, it is very strange, there were no signs like dim lights or windows becoming slow or horn etc. it died on me.
amitk2kin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 16:21   #515
BHPian

Quote:
Roadside assistance came over and jump-started the Tiguan, they confirmed that battery needs a replacement, upon checking with the workshop, the confirmed that the battery isn't in stock and would take a week or two arrive.
Bummer to hear it. You should push them to reimburse you for the battery. Most OEM batteries only come with 1 year warranties but usually dealers will replace it if something happens within 2 years. Same thing happened in my Endy. Around 20 months the battery conked. Exide too. I think batteries are just poorly made now days.

Last edited by Sheel : 29th November 2019 at 18:57. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Thanks.
Old 29th November 2019, 18:46   #516
BHPian

Quote:
I spoke to the technician who was reaplcing the battery, he said these days most of the cars come for a battery replacement within the two-year mark, is that right? members your views.
Pretty normal for Tiguan I guess, my 15month old (10k on the ODO) Tiguan's battery conked off and replaced under warranty recently.
Old 30th November 2019, 13:26   #517
Senior - BHPian

Is anyone else also having trouble doing the PUC under the new regime for the Tiguan because in P/N modes it won't rev past 2000 or so rpm? We have been unsuccessful in getting the new PUC machine to work/register a reading in three places so far.
Old 2nd December 2019, 15:21   #518

Dear Tiguan owners, I had some questions and found SA's explanation unsatisfactory. Can some of you throw light on these?

1. I start the car, it's in D mode. The MMID shows D, but the entertainment screen says Eco.

2. When I press the driving mode switch, the MMID says Eco Mode but remains in D, until I keep pressing the driving mode switch to make it go from Normal-Sport-Individual to Eco. Only then, MMID shows Eco. Or I tap Eco on the entertainment screen. To do the latter, I have to take my eyes off the road.

3. In D mode, when you take the foot off pedal, real-time fuel consumption goes blank. In Eco, it says 'Coasting'. But I haven't found much difference in feedback. Are they different?
Old 2nd December 2019, 18:24   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakaze View Post
Dear Tiguan owners, I had some questions and found SA's explanation unsatisfactory. Can some of you throw light on these?

1. I start the car, it's in D mode. The MMID shows D, but the entertainment screen says Eco.

2. When I press the driving mode switch, the MMID says Eco Mode but remains in D, until I keep pressing the driving mode switch to make it go from Normal-Sport-Individual to Eco. Only then, MMID shows Eco. Or I tap Eco on the entertainment screen. To do the latter, I have to take my eyes off the road.

In simple words after restart it goes back to D by default . You have to go again to eco mode by toggling the selector. (I understand that this is to ensure that you are not in eco mode by default without your knowledge)

Last edited by Vid6639 : 2nd December 2019 at 21:39. Reason: fixing the quote tags
Old 3rd December 2019, 07:06   #520
Senior - BHPian

The PUC issue was sorted at a fourth station that seemed to have different type of equipment. 12 month validity PUC received as a matter of course.

There is a huge difference in feedback in E versus all other modes. In E, the rpm drops to idle as soon as the foot is taken off the accelerator, one does not need to look anywhere to realise that, the engine note conveys this.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 07:14   #521
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPJ74 View Post
Poor OEM battery is a known VW issue. Happened around 25K on our Vento. It has something to do with th choice of battery by VW and Indian driving conditions.

Replaced with Amaron.
I think many posts here on Battery and Clutch in VW/ Skoda are very subjective.
My submissions:
My OEM Varta Battery in my Skoda Yeti lasted from 2011 until 2015 - 4 full years and more from the time of car manufacture.
The second battery (Amaron) lasted until this year 2019 - again 4 full years and more from the time of the change over from OEM.

The same thing goes for the Clutch. I read a lot of posts here about how the clutch on Skoda and VW goes kaboom.
My car was a manual 4x4 with that Haldex Clutch system.
8 years old and 47735kms done, 99% driven only by myself, in all sorts of conditions, heavy city traffic, light city traffic, highway runs, hill drives and so on, the clutch remained true. I sold the car last week, still with its factory fitted original clutch. And I am proudly stating, it is entirely due to the way the clutch has been used and conserved in the 8 years of use.

So all it takes, is care and sensitivity towards the car. And of course, a certain skill in proper usage of machinery.
Old 3rd December 2019, 15:45   #522
BHPian

Iirc, the MY2017 Tiguan HL came with roof lights which was taken off in the MY2018 and 19 variants. Did a little research and came up with this.

Quote:
Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. (Volkswagen) is recalling certain 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan vehicles. The LED module for the panoramic sunroof ambient light bar may short circuit.

Volkswagen will notify owners, and dealers will disconnect the power supply for the panoramic sunroof LED module, free of charge, until a future service action can safely reactivate the feature. The recall began July 24, 2018. Owners may contact Volkswagen customer service at 1-800-893-5298. Volkswagen’s number for this recall 60D1.
Source

I ran a small scan using a scan tool and got an error pertaining to the central electronics. The code referred to 'no response from roof bulbs'. Does anyone know if these are still present in the newer variants and can be turned on by connecting a particular wire or enabled via VCDS?
Old 12th December 2019, 17:22   #523
BHPian

Want to upgrade from an Elantra diesel AT. Thoroughly confused between a Hyundai Tuscon and Volkswagen Tiguan.

Any pointers?

Cheers
Amith
Old 12th December 2019, 17:42   #524
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amithsebastian View Post
Want to upgrade from an Elantra diesel AT. Thoroughly confused between a Hyundai Tuscon and Volkswagen Tiguan.

Any pointers?

Cheers
Amith
Lot of posts and threads on this topic exist.
In a nutshell:

Tiguan for nicer interiors, solid build, easier to drive due to better visibility, and the stiffer suspension means better handling.
AWD across variants is a big plus.

Tucson for performance, reliability, ride quality, and better value for money.

Also have a look at the CRV if performance isn't a big deal breaker. It's comfortable, has nice interiors, and fairly well priced after discounts.
Old 15th December 2019, 08:06   #525
BHPian

Thanks ! Have booked the Tiguan Highline finally !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks