Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2018, 12:01   #451
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Verna : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarLoverJosh View Post
The brakes especially on the automatic aren’t adequate at slowing the car down from higher speeds quickly. I can understand what you’re saying as I myself upgraded from a Rapid TDI and heck is the brake pedal feedback crappy, it also feels spongy for the initial inch or so. However, in your case the better tyres should help. Also as for the reverse camera, there would be a blue transparent sticker type thing stuck on the lens. The quality is quite impressive IMO so that must be the reason for yours seeming bad.

PS- nice upgrades, thumbs up!
Yes the wider tyres have made the situation much better. I have Elantra automatic at home as well so i am familiar with the hyundai braking inconsistencies.

I'll be putting bilstein/tein and would upgrade to better brake discs and pads once i cross 10k kms which should be in february most probably.

I had removed the blue scratch guard from the lens but still its as bad as my innova crysta's camera. Maybe i am used to better camera resolution on my other cars which is why i feel this way.
Old 26th November 2018, 12:27   #452
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramneek009 View Post
I'll be putting bilstein/tein and would upgrade to better brake discs and pads once i cross 10k kms which should be in february most probably.
Are they available for the Verna?

Had contacted Bilstein to know if the parts are available for the Creta, to which they said it is not. Haven't contacted Tein though.
Old 26th November 2018, 14:17   #453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is a marked difference in the fuel economy between the manual and the automatic versions.
I guess Hyundai diesels just aren’t made to give respectable FE once you go heavy on the gas.
Last day I decided to extract the maximum FE out of my AT, and this is what I got:

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 5812
Size:  173.9 KB

This was measured over a section of MC Road in Kerala near Kottarakkara. The traffic was light and my speed was hovering around 80 kmph with cruise control engaged wherever possible.

Later I went back to my normal mode from the boring FE mode, and ended up with an FE around 17kmpl.

Last edited by clevermax : 26th November 2018 at 14:19.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 15:19   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Took delivery of my Verna today. It is the newly introduced diesel SX(O) AT and replaces a remapped Vento diesel on bilsteins so has pretty big shoes to fill in.
Congratulations on your new car. And glad you chose the Diesel SX(O) AT, an option many of us terribly missed during the launch.

Quote:
4. Rear Camera quality in the night is bad.
I do agree with this observation, it is quite unclear and grainy during night.

Quote:
Upgrades done:
1. 4300k Osram HIDs in stock projectors
2. Debadged.
3. Tyres upgraded to Michelin P3ST 205/55 R16.
Do you mind sharing the cost and performance improvement after 1 and 3. Also why you chose to debadge? I am new to this concept, hence the question.

Quote:
Drove the car for 128 kms today of which 110 kms was on the highway. MID showed fuel consumption of 18.3 kmpl which is not bad for a brand new car with speeds not exceeding 100 kmph.
With cruise control engaged you would have got even better milage, but during the break-in period it is better to run at varying speeds.

Quote:
In city conditions my brother seldom gets more than 9 kmpl and on the highway the car barely manages to do 15.5 KMPL. Both with a light foot. The worst my car has seen in 6.2 kmpl which is my ass is on fire driving in the city and 12 kmpl on the highway. My brother as soon as he starts driving his car hard, the FE drops to below 7 on the highway

I guess Hyundai diesels just aren’t made to give respectable FE once you go heavy on the gas.
The mileage quoted for AT seems quite low in my experience. I have never seen anything below 9 kmpl in medium to heavy Bangalore traffic with occasional hard acceleration (want to stress not always light foot). On highways over a distance of 640 kms with speeds above 100 for 70% trip duration, the least I got was 16 kmpl without cruise control. With cruise control the figures improve significantly and I have even got 26.7 kmpl over a distance of 200 kms with cruise control set in the range of 85 to 95 kmph.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Verna : Official Review-img_9592.jpg  

X-Factor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 23:46   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Are they available for the Verna?

Had contacted Bilstein to know if the parts are available for the Creta, to which they said it is not. Haven't contacted Tein though.
Bilsteins are not available. I was told that Teins are available for hyundai accent which is the global name for verna. Yet to do the complete research on this before taking a final call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Factor View Post
Congratulations on your new car. And glad you chose the Diesel SX(O) AT, an option many of us terribly missed during the launch.

I do agree with this observation, it is quite unclear and grainy during night.

Do you mind sharing the cost and performance improvement after 1 and 3. Also why you chose to debadge? I am new to this concept, hence the question.

With cruise control engaged you would have got even better milage, but during the break-in period it is better to run at varying speeds.
Thanks. Had been waiting for a suitable replacement for the vento for last few months. Had been using it to go to our factory which is some 32 kms away from our home which gave me good 20-25 kms of highway drive to enjoy the higher tune and bilstein blessed handling.

Verna seems to be very comfortable for now. I am enjoying the comparatively softer ride quality and the automatic gearbox.

Camera is very grainy and pathetic in darker environments like basement parkings.

The HIDs cost 7k with installation. They are OSRAM XENARC. The stock headlamps are not bad at all. The only reason i chose to install HIDs was because i dislike the mismatch in colour of DRLs and halogens in projectors. Added visibilty is a bonus. I find them better than the LED projectors on my Crysta ZX.

Michelins cost 8200 per piece in the size 205/55 R16. They are grippier compared to the stock hankooks and the ride quality seems more cushioned to me. But i drove only 150 odd kms on hankooks so not in the right place to highlight the difference properly.

Debadging is something i have been following religiously since my college days. I personally think it looks neat. Barring our two Crystas, every car in the house is debadged.
ramneek009 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 01:54   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Yes the wider tyres have made the situation much better. I have Elantra automatic at home as well so i am familiar with the hyundai braking inconsistencies.

I had removed the blue scratch guard from the lens but still its as bad as my innova crysta's camera. Maybe i am used to better camera resolution on my other cars which is why i feel this way.
I spoke to Autopsyche Gurgaon regarding the same ( better brake discs and pads ) As of right now they didn't have any solution, EBC currently doesn't make any brake pads for the Verna, and there are just too many Brembo fakes going around to put your money on them. I was also suggested that I could try and source Creta's disc and caliper set and maybe it would fit the Verna, but it's a complete hit or miss solution. If you do figure out a solution for the brakes, do let me know as well please.

On the suspension front, there is an Eibach Pro Kit available with them, which is for the Verna.

Maybe Hyundai has changed the reversing camera? Because this is hands down one of the best reversing cameras I've used amongst many many cars.

Also, I absolutely forgot, a hearty congratulations on the beauty, wishing you tons and tons of happy miles with the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Last day I decided to extract the maximum FE out of my AT, and this is what I got:

This was measured over a section of MC Road in Kerala near Kottarakkara. The traffic was light and my speed was hovering around 80 kmph with cruise control engaged wherever possible.

Later I went back to my normal mode from the boring FE mode, and ended up with an FE around 17kmpl.
Wow, very impressive. The best mileage I have achieved from my Verna is when I went to Vrindavan and took the car on the KMP Expressway, cruise control set at 110 KMPH and the car returned 21.8 KMPL. Definitely brought a smile to my face.

Also, did you take your car to the Service Centre regarding the vibrations on the steering wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Factor View Post

The mileage quoted for AT seems quite low in my experience. I have never seen anything below 9 kmpl in medium to heavy Bangalore traffic with occasional hard acceleration (want to stress not always light foot). On highways over a distance of 640 kms with speeds above 100 for 70% trip duration, the least I got was 16 kmpl without cruise control. With cruise control the figures improve significantly and I have even got 26.7 kmpl over a distance of 200 kms with cruise control set in the range of 85 to 95 kmph.

Wow, these figures beat even my Verna Diesel Manual. Maybe it's the Gurgaon drivers and their right foot It seems to be related to how the cars are driven, we both very carefully did the run-in, but we're both slightly aggressive WRT to our right foot, so maybe it's that.
CarLoverJosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2018, 11:37   #457

I have purchased New gen Verna diesel sx(o) 3 months back. since last month it is emiting white smoke for 4-5 seconds on first startup in the morning from tailpipe. Other times it doesn't. Workshop checked the car and found nothing abnormal and opined that it is common for a diesel car to do so as the engine is cold in the morning.
Any other Verna owner is having similar issue? kindly guide.
Old 1st December 2018, 12:14   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybgavali View Post
I have purchased New gen Verna diesel sx(o) 3 months back. since last month it is emiting white smoke for 4-5 seconds on first startup in the morning from tailpipe. Other times it doesn't. Workshop checked the car and found nothing abnormal and opined that it is common for a diesel car to do so as the engine is cold in the morning.
Any other Verna owner is having similar issue? kindly guide.
During the winters it's the same case here with my Verna diesel SX(O), white smoke usually comes out from the tailpipe when there is not enough heat to burn the fuel and the unburned fuel particles go out the tailpipe while typically producing a rich fuel smell. But if you notice smoke ( white ) even after the engine has warmed up, check the coolant levels and make sure there isn't a leak, also keep a close watch on other fluids. Otherwise, white smoke during a cold start is nothing to be alarmed about. Hope this helps
CarLoverJosh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 21:29   #459
Senior - BHPian

I am trying to locate in the Verna manual about the idling of the turbo. Has anyone noticed any section with guidelines with respect to the turbo. Also does the Verna have a DPF (Diesel Particulate) filter?
Old 4th December 2018, 15:42   #460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audible Confirmation on Lock/Unlock[/B
Can someone try locking/unlocking the car with Hood open and check if the car locks without honk ?
Hi Kashyap!

If the boot and/or bonnet is open, the Verna locks up softly, without that alarm - a good thing actually, as the open lid shows up on the MID.

However, no such luck when you try to unlock the car with the boot/bonnet open: it opens up with the usual blare to inform everyone in the neighbourhood that you're leaving.

Cheers,
Old 5th December 2018, 06:49   #461
BHPian

I have a month old Verna and I got a call from an external agency asking for feedback on the car. She was reading off a questionnaire and was asking me if I felt that was an issue or not. I basically had to answer Yes or No.
While this is fairly routine, what I noticed was that most of the points she was asking are the ones that have been raised on Team-bhp. She asked me many questions, some of the ones I recall are
- noise in engine
- confidence in brakes
- satisfaction with mileage
- noise from dashboard
- satisfaction with tyres

Hopefully the Hyundai team is scanning TBHP and using that as a basis for their discussion guides!
RedHerring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 09:00   #462
BHPian

Hi All,

I am thinking of upgrading my verna sx(o) diesel head light. Can you suggest the models that fits the existing projector that comes with the vehicle. I don't want to slit / cut any electrical and just want to replace the bulbs.
Old 9th December 2018, 18:39   #463

Quote:
During the winters it's the same case here with my Verna diesel SX(O), white smoke usually comes out from the tailpipe when there is not enough heat to burn the fuel and the unburned fuel particles go out the tailpipe while typically producing a rich fuel smell. But if you notice smoke ( white ) even after the engine has warmed up, check the coolant levels and make sure there isn't a leak, also keep a close watch on other fluids. Otherwise, white smoke during a cold start is nothing to be alarmed about. Hope this helps
Thanks for sharing your experience. I think Hyundai should mention this in the user manual to prevent unnecessary apprehension of the customers!
ybgavali is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2018, 00:22   #464
BHPian

Upgrades done:
1. 4300k Osram HIDs in stock projectors

Any idea if this would affect warranty?
Old 14th December 2018, 23:49   #465
BHPian

2014 Fluidic Verna

4 days short of 4 years. Munches miles effortlessly, still runs like the day I got her home. Apart from 3 sets of tyres, she’s still on the original clutch, original timing belt etc. No remaps of any sort. Engine is stock and eager to run.

Hyundai Verna : Official Review-6a29ca8fb37646618e16f4299838e404.jpeg
drhoneycake is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks