Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2018, 09:59   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Yaris : Official Review

Just like the opinions here I would term it as a competitive car. Loses in some areas and gains elsewhere, definitely not the BEST car. Build quality is one strong area and is on par with the Europeans. While manufacturers like Maruti and Honda are trying hard to make their car lighter/flimsier, Toyota actually seem to be running in the opposite direction. The Crysta feels solid/better built than Innova and now Yaris. Barring the expensive top end models, one area where Yaris fails is w.r.to space inside, it felt cramped after checking out the Innova. This was not the case with Etios Liva.
PrideRed is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2018, 10:08   #47
BHPian

Though not the best car in it's segment, but I wish Yaris be a success - for only one reason: The full-on push for safety features.

I guess, that's how our car market need to mature. Full focus on safety and then bells-and-whistles, goodies and gadgetry at a premium spread over variants.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2018, 10:53   #48
Senior - BHPian

I have to say that I do like the front end of this car. Lots of Lexus and new Gen Camry inspired bits, especially those big black slats.

Sadly; that is all I like. The car looks a bit ungainly to me overall. The stance reminds me a bit of the Nissan Sunny, though shorter and standing taller. I find that the tires are not centered in the wheel well either.

In many ways I am glad Toyota decided not to offer their existing 1.4l diesel. It is a crude motor not only for this segment but even lower. It maybe alright for an Etios as the market for this car is different.

I am finding it really hard to like anything on the Yaris apart from what could possibly be segment best NVH control. What kills the interest completely and something that has been observed by almost everyone, is their pricing strategy. I'd rather cough up a couple of lacs more and buy a Corolla, if it must be a Toyota sedan.

This is going to be a hard sell Toyota.
sandeepmohan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2018, 11:20   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I find that the tires are not centered in the wheel well either.

This is going to be a hard sell Toyota.
Sharp observation! Now that I've seen it, I can't unsee it!
Old 22nd June 2018, 11:30   #50
BHPian

Quote:
I find that the tires are not centered in the wheel well either.
Thanks for pointing out. It looks funny though.

I have a feeling that it may have been done on purpose as I doubt Toyota's QC/designers would have missed this.
Old 22nd June 2018, 13:45   #51
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qr20de View Post
Hang on a second; So when you have a flat tyre, you're supposed to fiddle around under the passengers seat,

Why Toyota, Why?
Reminds me of our Toyota Qualis which had the same location for the jack. Believe me, once in place and secured by extending the jack (few turns = simplicity) it won't make a sound.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2018, 14:15   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
Thanks for pointing out. It looks funny though.

I have a feeling that it may have been done on purpose as I doubt Toyota's QC/designers would have missed this.
Maybe by design. When the car is laden, the wheels get into the centre by pressed suspension.
Old 22nd June 2018, 14:26   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sadly; that is all I like. The car looks a bit ungainly to me overall. The stance reminds me a bit of the Nissan Sunny, though shorter and standing taller. I find that the tires are not centered in the wheel well either.
This is not just in Yaris. This is in most cars including Corolla. Reason is simple, suspension jacked up which makes it appear that the gap on top is more than on the sides.
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2018, 21:24   #54
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Aditya, Vid, GTO and team - Awesome review and great eye for detail as usual, thanks for sharing

Though they may not have got the pricing right, all variants getting 7 airbags (Toyota is committed to safety) and the fact that auto transmission is available in all variants (in tune with market trend/preference) are both great moves.
Engine options being restricted to petrol alone for now may also result in lower sales numbers, but let's see how it goes in the coming months.

Given that their service and parts support is good in India, even if they do not have a chartbuster here, if they can get steady numbers each month I think they will be quite happy.

*On the auto transmission -> Almost exactly 2 months ago (April), I looked up the Yaris details on the Toyotobharat website and remember that it said "7 Speed CVT-i" would be offered on J, G, V models and only the top VX trim would have "7 Speed Super CVT-i".

Now, it looks like Super CVT-i is the only auto transmission on offer with all variants ? Was this a change in strategy in the last 2 months ?

Last edited by NPV : 22nd June 2018 at 21:32.
NPV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2018, 00:45   #55
BHPian

I remember the days when I used to eagerly wait for a sequel to a favourite movie (Read: Nolan's Barman series) or a favourite book (Read: Harry Potter). The excitement in waiting, counting down the days, knowing that it's all totally worth it, kept you going. Nowadays I don't experience that, thanks to the Cinematic Universes taking over and releasing sequels/prequels/spin-offs and spoil everything. You even get to go through the pain of witnessing a bad sequel/spin-off of your all time favourite movie (Read: Ocean's XI). Worser than this is seeing your favourite authors (eg: GRRM) keeping themselves busy at writing scripts for the big production houses, rather than finishing their book.

I am happy to say that TeamBhp's New Car reviews brings back that experience for me. Nexon, Yaris and Amaze are three new launches for which I was eagerly waiting. Visiting the site daily and refreshing the page has become more like a muscle memory activity. I totally enjoyed both the reviews and now waiting for the third.
Nexon is the car which gets my pulses racing whenever I see it on the road. But am not buying it because of my brain.

Coming to Yaris, I really wanted it to be my first car and have been following it since the Auto Expo. I was hoping to even shell out 12L which is 2L more than my budget. But the product totally killed my wishes. Disappointed would be an understatement. I totally love the Toyota brand and Altis is still my dream car, which I will wait & buy, than the Yaris, which was rejected by my brain & heart.

Amaze is the one which ticked most of the boxes and hence I have booked it. And my wait for TeamBhp's official review is still going on..Hope it is not for long!!

Last edited by Eddy : 24th June 2018 at 19:40. Reason: Spacing for better readability
Old 23rd June 2018, 17:41   #56
BHPian

The car has good focus on safety and comfort but milking the Indian consumer for Toyota badge continues. Giving segment first features and then missing on segment standard features. The biggest goof up IMO is that car is a size smaller than the segment and priced on par. Toyota had the opportunity to make it a blockbuster but they chose to play their usual game.
If Honda has to stay dominant they should improve the City in areas of build quality, infotainment system, NVH and equipment.
Will be interesting to see how Ciaz facelift is received with the new 1.5 petrol engine.

Last edited by PraNeel : 23rd June 2018 at 17:42.
Old 23rd June 2018, 21:28   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazzy View Post
Amaze is the one which ticked most of the boxes and hence I have booked it. And my wait for TeamBhp's official review is still going on..Hope it is not for long!!
Till the official review is out, you can go through this intial test drive and ownership report for the New Amaze.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...iesel-cvt.html

Regards
Nikhil
nsbhagwat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2018, 22:27   #58
BHPian

I would prefer paying for safety, reliability and comfort over bells and whistles and that is what Toyota seems to have targeted.
If the engine had been better (that is the Bhpian in me talking), then this would have been an unbeatable option, despite the space constraint.
(My old gen Ford Figo feels roomier)
Alfresco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2018, 01:50   #59
Senior - BHPian

Kudos to the safety equipment but apart from that the car has a complete lack of character. I maintain what I wrote few months back that its the ugliest front, reminds me of the alien in predator . Someone already pointed out that its side profile matches Nissan Sunny and design looks prev gen.

Just checked the pricing on the top end model in Bangalore and it sits at 17.5 lacs on road. I spent less than that for my XUV W8 3 yrs. Car makers certainly are making hay with rising Indian middle class.
Old 24th June 2018, 13:43   #60
BHPian

This would have been awesome if launched as 2018 Etios. The car doesn't have the presense of the City. The features are acceptable, safety kit and CVT is an excellent move. But the pricing is too premium. No comments on the styling, Toyotas aren't usually the best looking cars around.

On a lighter note, soon our aftermarket part makers in Delhi are going to bring out a full chrome cladding for that grill.. And it's going to look absolutely hideous.

Most Viewed