Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2019, 22:46   #166
BHPian

Re: Toyota Yaris : Official Review

For those in Hyderabad , the 2018 Yaris J variant has a cash discount of INR 100,000 and 10,000 worth of accessories are also being provided.When i enquired today,Grey and Phantom Brown colors are available.

For 2019 variant i was offered INR 30000 cash discount + 10,000 worth of accessories.
Ram78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 21:36   #167
BHPian

Going by the discounts being served on Yaris in the previous pages, I went to Toyota outlet in Gurgaon today to see Yaris as I am on lookout for a petrol automatic. So Toyota says that they don't have 2019 inventories for Yaris yet in mid-Feb 2019, all models available are from 2018. I know that Yaris is not selling well but this was certainly not expected. I prod them to share the discounts since the cars are from 2018. The discounts are like 20k corporate plus 20k on exchange along with best rates if you choose to finance. And I am like really Toyota - you have 2018 inventories, you may not even be manufacturing new cars in 2019, how is this lame discounting going to help anyone? And this is situation in a tier 1 city like Gurgaon, not in any tier 2 or 3 city.
I was told to wait 1 more month to get fab discounts - not sure what do I read into this statement. Pretty disappointed with how Toyota is trudging on Yaris - seems like lack of strategy.

Last edited by headbanger : 16th February 2019 at 21:39.
headbanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 23:55   #168
BHPian

I approached a nearby dealer office and I too enquired around for a AT variant and asked for best discount offers and I too was told that only 2018 vehicles are available and on those the discount can go upto 1.5 lakhs. I requested for proforma Invoice with discount mentioned and I am awaiting for that to be sent to me.
Old 17th February 2019, 02:30   #169
BHPian

I am looking to upgrade from a hatchback to a sedan and seeing the discounts posted in the previous threads, went to Nandi Toyota, Bansawadi today to test drive and talk about the pricing.

The test drive was for around 7-8 km stretch in a V manual model as they don't have demo cars for the top end version.

First impressions:
  • The car is quite plush, and feels rich
  • The engine felt under powered, but to be honest, I really had no chance to test it in the ORR traffic at 5 pm on a Saturday evening
  • Suspension is a bit hard, not as cushy as my i20 in the low speeds
  • Rear space is only for 2 adults and a very slim kid. Even the sales rep told me it’s a 4 seater. Looking for more sq ft per money, please visit their Japanese counterpart
  • Seat material is fabulous, nice mix of soft and premium, the wife was happy and this means lot for Toyota
  • Driving experience – I really don’t have anything to complain in the 8 kms that I have driven. Clutch is light, travel is much shorter than my i20, steering is nice to hold
  • Steering mounted controls are not illuminated
  • Toyota sales rep, finance guy, accessories persons, heck even the person serving coffee, they are a notch above anybody. I had experience with Ford, Cauvery and Elite – they have appalling attitude. Forget coffee, they never ever asked if needed a glass of water. Elite Ford is the worst – they behave as if they are doing you a favour by letting you walk into their showroom. Hyundai – professional guys but again, never even ask if you need a glass of water (these are experiences 6 years back and they might have become more humane by now)
Now for the pricing. I was quoted a standard pricing of Rs. 163,35,133. Without any haggling the pricing became 147,00,00 + 5,000 worth of accessories. This is with bumper to bumper insurance and without extended warranty. The flat discount is 130,000. This only for the 2018 model and there are no discounts for a 2019 model. Accessories are extra and the main issue with the car, the driver armrest, can be changed at a sum of 9k to give a more user friendly option.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 17th February 2019 at 04:21. Reason: Removed font tags.
dgogold is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2019, 03:33   #170
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
I am like really Toyota - you have 2018 inventories, you may not even be manufacturing new cars in 2019, how is this lame discounting going to help anyone? And this is situation in a tier 1 city like Gurgaon, not in any tier 2 or 3 city.
I was told to wait 1 more month to get fab discounts - not sure what do I read into this statement.
With Grace Toyota almost closing down, this was bound to happen. They were more aggressive amongst the Toyota dealers in NCR. Toyota otherwise also does not practice or believe in passing high rebates so they control production & instead of asking dealers to stock large inventories encourage them to order only as per demand. Even though MGF may be a large dealer with multiple outlets, they also work like Toyota and will hardly have any cars on stocks, especially the ones like Yaris which are slow moving. I am not sure if the comments to wait for another month were sarcastic or they have some information but if you have made up mind on buying one, you should try some dealers in smaller cities, like Chandigarh or even Ghaziabad. Good thing is that Toyota does not stop any dealer selling in any territory.
Old 17th February 2019, 13:02   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Toyota otherwise also does not practice or believe in passing high rebates so they control production & instead of asking dealers to stock large inventories encourage them to order only as per demand. Even though MGF may be a large dealer with multiple outlets, they also work like Toyota and will hardly have any cars on stocks, especially the ones like Yaris which are slow moving. I am not sure if the comments to wait for another month were sarcastic or they have some information...
I was informed by the dealer in Bangalore to book 2019 model and wait for 30-45 days as the 2019 models are made to order! Does it sound abnormal or sarcastic? Also, the 2018 models available are all either june or july 2018 manufactured ones. Aren't they too old?
Old 17th February 2019, 15:33   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
With Grace Toyota almost closing down, this was bound to happen. They were more aggressive amongst the Toyota dealers in NCR. Toyota otherwise also does not practice or believe in passing high rebates so they control production & instead of asking dealers to stock large inventories encourage them to order only as per demand. Even though MGF may be a large dealer with multiple outlets, they also work like Toyota and will hardly have any cars on stocks, especially the ones like Yaris which are slow moving. I am not sure if the comments to wait for another month were sarcastic or they have some information but if you have made up mind on buying one, you should try some dealers in smaller cities, like Chandigarh or even Ghaziabad. Good thing is that Toyota does not stop any dealer selling in any territory.
I am quite sure the comment was not in sarcastic tone - the moot point is that they are sitting on 2018 inventories (not sure which month of 2018) waiting till March 2019 to roll out discounts to clear the inventories. I am still not able to get it neither from dealer's perspective or from manufacturer's one. May be I haven't come across such strategies earlier owing to only dealing with the likes of Marutis and Hyundais who are every aggressive when it comes to clearing inventories .
I think I will need to stick by Gurgaon dealer only as the car will be on lease. Thank you for letting me know that Toyota doesn't have rules regarding territories.
Old 18th February 2019, 19:08   #173
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_lm View Post
I was informed by the dealer in Bangalore to book 2019 model and wait for 30-45 days as the 2019 models are made to order! Does it sound abnormal or sarcastic? Also, the 2018 models available are all either june or july 2018 manufactured ones. Aren't they too old?
If they don't have any 2018 leftovers then they will get you 2019 in April. Same is the case with Lexus ES, New Camry Hybrid as well. Everything coming in April. Don't know why. Maybe Toyota was waiting for some changes in budget or are they localizing some more components?

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
they are sitting on 2018 inventories (not sure which month of 2018) waiting till March 2019 to roll out discounts to clear the inventories. I am still not able to get it neither from dealer's perspective or from manufacturer's one.
MGF is a large corporate so decisions does not happen fast, I remember we picked 5-6 Liva Diesels which were sitting for over a Year with them.

I checked Yaris for you with the other dealer Grace, they do have some inventories in V & VX. You can probably negotiate better with them.

Last edited by Turbanator : 18th February 2019 at 19:10.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 12:54   #174
BHPian

Heartening to see some activity in this thread.

I too am in the market for a 9-11 lakhs car and had short-listed the Yaris J CVT and Nexon XMA AMT. 6 out of the 7 forum members who replied to my post in the 'What Car' thread suggested Yaris. So paid a booking amount of 10000 for the Sept'2018 variant. However,post that i was a bit skeptical seeing almost nil activity on Yaris in this forum.Questions like if the sales are so low there is every possibility that the model may be stopped and if so what about the availability of spare parts and such thoughts.So some activity on the thread helps allay few of the fears

As for discounts, getting 1 lakh has now become a norm for the 2018 model.It only increases for higher variants,with some also mentioning about 1.7 lakhs ! I too was initially told by the SA that the discount will be 50000 but post bargaining it is currently at 1.3 lakhs for the J CVT variant.

dgogold : You are right on the 'interaction experience' front. Toyota is miles ahead in making you feel as a privileged customer.As of date i own a Crysta and my experience has been first-class At the TATA showroom,though the SA i interacted was good,I was witness to another SA almost fighting..verbally with a prospect. Leaves a very bad taste. Surprisingly,I had a nice experience at a Ford showroom(Mody- Begumpet).Their SA Mr.Nitish was among the best i've ever come across.I was there the last week.

vivek_lm was mentioning the availability of a June- July'18 vehicle. A 9 month old car,whatever be the discounts,may be a risky proposition. If you still want to go ahead do so only after reading the thread "Buying a New car with an Older manufactured date',started by member ajmat. I'm in two minds if i need to go ahead with the purchase of a Sept'18 car.

For the benefit of those in and around Hyderabad,as of a week back,the J CVT variant was available in Grey Metallic,Wildfire Red and Phantom Brown colors. I'm sure you will be getting a discount of 1.3 lakhs for the same.

Last edited by Ram78 : 20th February 2019 at 12:57. Reason: Spelling correction at 2 places
Old 20th February 2019, 13:12   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram78 View Post
I too am in the market for a 9-11 lakhs car and had short-listed the Yaris J CVT and Nexon XMA AMT.
Even I'm evaluating Nexon AMT too alongside Yaris. Assuming you would've already TD'ed both of them, between the two, which one has the more plush/comfortable ride?
Quote:
vivek_lm was mentioning the availability of a June- July'18 vehicle. A 9 month old car,whatever be the discounts,may be a risky proposition. If you still want to go ahead do so only after reading the thread "Buying a New car with an Older manufactured date',started by member ajmat. I'm in two minds if i need to go ahead with the purchase of a Sept'18 car.
To be on the safe side, I've decided against purchasing the 2018 manufactured car.
Old 20th February 2019, 14:49   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Even I'm evaluating Nexon AMT too alongside Yaris. Assuming you would've already TD'ed both of them, between the two, which one has the more plush/comfortable ride?
As for 'plush' question, it is a matter of individual taste. Personally, i liked 3 sides of the Nexon exterior and all sides of its interior better because of its black shades. The silver and glossy bits at the right places add to the sense of being a premium car. This is not to say that the Yaris is not plush. It sure is except for the fact that it is an all beige interior. I think except the top variants the rest come with fabric seats. So if you choosing say a J or a G variant, since the car has 7 air-bags, you cannot even put seat-covers. This means will have to live with the same seat cover ,the one you get along with the car when you purchase it, for the life of the car, till Toyota comes up with some alternative.

Since both of us seem to be in the same boat, let me list down a few considerations,in no particular order, that are holding me back in deciding where I need to plonk my million:

1. I do not like the rear of the Nexon.
2 .Nexon can seat 5 comfortably while Yaris is good for 4 +1 kid.
3. Nexon is a Tata. Were it to have a Toyota badge i would have gone ahead with the same, closing my eyes whenever i pass by its rear.
4. Yaris is a Toyota and the probability of it being with me forever is high.
5. My family likes Nexon. I like Yaris.
6. Yaris J CVT is nearly 2.3 lakhs costlier than the Nexon XMA.
7. Yaris has a 1 year service interval while i'l have to land up at the Tata service center every 6 months!
8. Nexon has a better/higher sitting position than the Yaris in which we need to sit'down'. Coming from an ownership of Wagon R, Duster and Crysta which we love because of this seating position, this is an important decision making factor.
9. Yaris has an adjustable head rest for the back seat middle row passenger,which the Nexon does not have. Actually in Nexon,atleast in the XMA variant,the two head rests are fixed.Wonderful by Toyota.Very bad Tata !!
10.Is a premium of 2.3 lakhs for Yaris worth it? I plan to hold it for atleast 8-10 years. 2.3 lakhs at 8% cumulative interest will give me a net of around 4.5 lakhs over a period of 8 years. And the Nexon is not that unreliable either. Or is it?

11. I simply trust the Toyota more than the Tata.

Everyone has his specific requirements.If one is at an age like mine, where one now has to use one’s head more than the heart, the above considerations just complicates matters. But with the help of our forum, which I am proud to belong to, am sure will end up taking a sensible decision.So would you if you keep your specific requirements in mind.

Quote:
To be on the safe side, I've decided against purchasing the 2018 manufactured car.
Seems to be a sensible decision to me
Ram78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 15:31   #177
BHPian

Quote:
As for 'plush' question, it is a matter of individual taste.
Sorry for the confusion, but I was alluding to the ride comfort. From the official reviews, I could figure out that the Nexon's ride is a bit on the stiffer side, which is the only reason why I haven't TD'ed the car yet. I liked the suspension setup on the Yaris though, so I was looking at how the Nexon's fares in comparison. I'll be doing a TD soon to figure this out myself, but am curious to know your opinion too. Sorry again for the confusion.
vivek_lm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 15:39   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Heartening to see some activity in this thread.

For the benefit of those in and around Hyderabad,as of a week back,the J CVT variant was available in Grey Metallic,Wildfire Red and Phantom Brown colors. I'm sure you will be getting a discount of 1.3 lakhs for the same.
Which showroom is this? Is 1.3 lks cash discount?
Old 20th February 2019, 15:54   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulken Auto View Post
Which showroom is this? Is 1.3 lks cash discount?
Can you send me a PM please? Will be happy to share all info. Am relatively new to the forum and not sure if it's right revealing names .

On the other hand you may just call up all the showrooms and then start a bidding exercise I can also ask the SA who was dealing my case to get in touch with you. He is a nice chap.
Old 20th February 2019, 16:12   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion, but I was alluding to the ride comfort. From the official reviews, I could figure out that the Nexon's ride is a bit on the stiffer side, which is the only reason why I haven't TD'ed the car yet. I liked the suspension setup on the Yaris though, so I was looking at how the Nexon's fares in comparison. I'll be doing a TD soon to figure this out myself, but am curious to know your opinion too. Sorry again for the confusion.
Oh! I too haven't done a proper TD of Nexon, so will not be able to comment on the stiffness part. My TD was for around 2 kms.in traffic and I found it to be good. But ignore the same as nothing much can be ascertained from a 2kms TD.

However, with its high ground clearance, the Nexon MAY provide you more comfort on bad roads than a Yaris.

Most Viewed