Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2018, 01:36   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Yaris : Official Review

Its a City drive Sedan. Dont hope to find it at Budh International circuit unless some promo event is being done there.
desertfox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2018, 07:08   #92

I had almost decided on booking the V CVT based on the inputs from an earlier post to decide between G CVT and V CVT. Just went to Hyundai showroom to testdrive Verna just to feel the difference between the two and guess what ..ended up booking the Creta Facelift AT Petrol for 50k extra Hope I can get over the regret of going 5 airbag less for the higher sitting position .
Revhardy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2018, 19:58   #93
BHPian

Hi Friends, finally took delivery of Toyota Yaris V CVT Pearl White today.

Toyota Yaris : Official Review-img_20180711_172930380.jpg

I will share my experience of selling i10 Automatic and buying Yaris in separate ownership review thread.
Simhi is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 11:17   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post

Attachment 1780850
We had owned a 2009 Yaris while in the USA. A sub-compact sedan with the right basics; not an earth shattering performer nor a great looker, but great reliability and decent FE by American standards (33/40 miles to the gallon). We practically didn't do anything to the car except routine oil change (but so were our other cars - but that would be for a separate discussion). It was fill it - shut it - forget it kind of ownership experience for the 4 years that we had her.

Wish you many miles of stress-free ownership.

Last edited by Lively : 12th July 2018 at 11:24.
Lively is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th July 2018, 21:52   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
Congratulations, and wish you many happy miles on Yaris.

Please post your initial driving impressions, which would help prospective Yaris buyers

Last edited by SMK_BLR : 17th July 2018 at 21:55. Reason: end quote tag was missing
SMK_BLR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 23:37   #96
BHPian

Any new about Yaris hatchback?

I heard a rumour from a Toyota SA that Yaris hatch will be launched in September or October this year.
Old 21st July 2018, 10:07   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
Any new about Yaris hatchback?

I heard a rumour from a Toyota SA that Yaris hatch will be launched in September or October this year.
I do not think they are going to launch Yaris hatch this year. No test car spotted till today, and I remember reading somewhere that they are not planning to launch hatch version in India.

I spotted a Yaris hatch test car in Bangalore few years back, but that belong to Bosch (for some component testing)
Latheesh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 07:03   #98
BHPian

Despite my misgivings on the front armrest, I still went to check out the new Yaris. The sales person said he had a 6 point sales pitch and took me through the entire pitch starting from the engine to the boot.
I must say that the Yaris definitely looks much much better in person than in the photos. Since it was late in the evening and raining, I took a test drive after a couple of days. I think most of my observations are in line with the official review - the engine felt OK for city driving. However, the ergonomics of the car while driving just didn't appeal to me. The absence of the dead pedal (that too on the automatic), the weird armrest and the audio system connectivity were some of the issues I had. The rear seat comfort, especially for two people at the back, was just right. The seats are contoured well and comfortable.

I told the sales associate that I am not comfortable with the driving position due to the armrest fiasco. His supervisor spoke to me on the phone and said he will refer me to someone in the aftermarket who can put an attachment on top of the existing armrest. When I asked for more details, he was a bit vague. Then suddenly this supervisor called me yesterday and said that their GM wanted to meet me. He said they had a meeting with Toyota and has identified the armrest as an issue and that when it gets corrected, they will change it for me at that time!!!

I asked him to take a walk for which he replied that it will be on the word of his GM. Told him thanks but no thanks.

And that ended my tryst with the Yaris. Kudos to Toyota for the amazing safety features but very unlike them to goof up on ergonomics.
RedHerring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2018, 17:10   #99
BHPian

TD the Yaris CVT and my observations are listed below. I currently drive an Ecosport Ecoboost or a City Ivtec MT.
The car was well put together with even panel gaps, with good paint quality and over all part quality. I felt the build was decent though not as solid as the Ecosport or the VW twins. Overall I was pleasantly suprised with the build, it was better than the previous Innova and much better than any Honda that I have come across.
Interior quality is second only to Hyundai.

The drive was also pleasant, the car is well insulated and the engine is quiet though the CVT rubber band does ruin the NVH when you want to get going, the engine also is not a powerhouse either.
The car is effortless to drive, the CVT shines here well. Took her on the expressway and the stability was also good. The car is no match for the City on the expressway though, the engine and the CVT make acceleration a little slow though live-able.
The room inside was average, I am 2 meters tall and the driving position was alright except the steering wheel which did not offer telescopic adjustment, a shocking omission, and I felt the wheel was too far from my chest and was making my knee cramped. This is a big one, I donīt think I can drive the manual variant of this comfortably,
The rear seat legroom was okay, I could sit behind my self but the head room was poor, I could not sit upright, this is by far the biggest let down for me of this car.
Safety is a big plus for this car, primary advantage of this over others and I feel the J variant is a decent buy if you are not into too many gizmos, I certainly am not and donīt care if it has no start stop button or touch screen, 7 Airbags and good quality car is what is important to me.

Last edited by Doge : 29th July 2018 at 17:11.
Doge is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2018, 09:39   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Yaris no longer in race in the sedan segment. Fall well short of the planned volumes of 2500 / month, but still number 3 but short-lived as Ciaz is bound to be back soon.

Toyota Yaris : Official Review-ya.jpg

Source:Auto Punditz
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2018, 10:57   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Yaris no longer in race in the sedan segment. Fall well short of the planned volumes of 2500 / month, but still number 3 but short-lived as Ciaz is bound to be back soon.
And still just in its initial months - the product is going to spiral down into triple digits soon unless Toyota takes some drastic measures.

One would have hoped that Toyota would learn from their past mistakes - but they have managed to place themselves in a far worse soup than Etios - which did much better during its initial days.

The trend, specially considering the initial months should have shaken Toyota out of its overconfidence -

Toyota Yaris : Official Review-screenshot_201808031106252.png

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 3rd August 2018 at 11:09.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2018, 12:14   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
One would have hoped that Toyota would learn from their past mistakes - but they have managed to place themselves in a far worse soup than Etios - which did much better during its initial days.
Or from their successes – the Fortuner and the Innova. They should be knowing what make these two products a roaring success in its respective segments. The Fortuner especially have an almost unfair lead over its immediate competitor Endeavour and now the Yaris is on the receiving end against the likes of the City.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2018, 06:14   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
And still just in its initial months - the product is going to spiral down into triple digits soon unless Toyota takes some drastic measures.
One measure which they have taken as per their media release - "Defense Personal can avail the Toyota Yaris through Canteen Stores Department"

Source: https://www.toyotabharat.com/news/20...july-2018.html
Old 13th August 2018, 10:33   #104
BHPian

Saw my first couple of Yaris'

Was surprised with how small the cars looked - really did not expect that. Closer in size to the new Hyundai Verna.

On the positive side - fit and finish seemed real good and if my running is primarily in the city with a couple of highway drives a year, then the Yaris could prove a good option for someone looking to keep a car for around 8 years (considering Toyota reliability).
Redline6800 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th September 2018, 23:26   #105
Senior - BHPian

Wow this thread has dried up. The other day halted next to gentleman driving a Yaris at the signal and asked about the mileage. He replied 15 to 16. I forgot to ask him the transmission type. Wonder if it' s possible to get such a mileage in the city.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed