Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2018, 23:59   #121
BHPian

Re: Toyota Yaris : Official Review

Although I do know that the Yaris is overpriced and doesn't do anything especially well to make it stand out in its segment, my money will always be on a Yaris. The fact that they equip even the base variant with 7 Airbags and 3 point seatbelts for all 5 passengers, shows how serious they are when it comes to safety of customers. These reasons along with the legendary Toyota reliability are enough for me to buy a Yaris. Some of its Competition are proudly saying that they are offering 2 airbags as standard. Even the current Etios which is a boring, bare bones, outdated hatchback has 3 point seatbelts for all the passengers while cars such as the Hyundai Elantra (a segment higher than the Yaris) still sticks to the rudimentary and almost worthless 2 point lap belt for the middle passenger and offers 2 airbags in the base version! All these years I used to always think that Toyotas are overpriced. After the recent launches. I am now a die-hard Toyota fan.
aveoman19 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2018, 00:11   #122
Senior - BHPian

Honestly, the market response is disappointing. I'm not looking for a new car now but if I were shopping in this segment, I'd buy the Yaris without a second thought. I'd rather pay a little bit extra and get a car that's setting a new benchmark for safety - the Toyota reliability and good service is an added bonus. I've never owned a Toyota but the Yaris is the first one that's seriously tempting, especially in base trim.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th October 2018, 18:21   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Honestly, the market response is disappointing. I'm not looking for a new car now but if I were shopping in this segment, I'd buy the Yaris without a second thought. I'd rather pay a little bit extra and get a car that's setting a new benchmark for safety - the Toyota reliability and good service is an added bonus. I've never owned a Toyota but the Yaris is the first one that's seriously tempting, especially in base trim.
I second that thought. I am actually in the market right now, and if not for the smaller second row, it is a very enticing proposition. There is probably no manufacturer out there, who is making safety standard - that is same as the top variant, in all variants. If today, one wishes to buy a very safe car (say with six airbags, EBD, BA and the likes), there is no option across Maruti, Honda and Hyundai, but to buy the top trim. Heck, even Mahindra offers six airbags only in W11 as against W8 as they used to do earlier. If I am upgrading for a hatch or something like a Dzire, Yaris will be my preferred choice. And that it borrows so much for Altis, is an added bonus
we_pull is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 12:51   #124
BHPian

The Toyota Yaris Hatchback sold in South African market, but Made in Thailand, scored a moderate 3 stars in the latest GNCAP crash testing.

So, is it safe to assume that the Yaris Sedan sold here in India will also score 3 stars? However, considering the cheaper Etios scores an impressive 4 stars this is rather underwhelming.
jpcoolguy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 17:04   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota Yaris hits a new low. Sells just 421 units in October, lowest in the segment and behind Volkswagen's Vento!

Toyota Yaris : Official Review-1.jpg

Source:AutoPunditz

Last edited by volkman10 : 3rd November 2018 at 17:08.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 17:11   #126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveoman19 View Post
shows how serious they are when it comes to safety of customers.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...eployment.html (Poor quality spiral cables used by Toyota India? It can affect airbag deployment)

This thread might interest you .
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 17:14   #127
Senior - BHPian

I am sure that corrective action will soon be taken, and prices will be increased across the line up. They will realize that nothing appeals to budget class, and we should move the vehicle to next 15-20L bracket!

This car looks like a baby corolla on road, and has good features too. But I guess the price, the surprisingly small interiors and the rear space eating laptop stand (can't dare to call it arm rest for driver), are pulling the sales down. This must be the worst selling product in all Toyota's offering, including Etios Liva.
Old 3rd November 2018, 20:12   #128
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Coincidentally, on Friday (Oct 5), a friend and I saw these prices on the website of a local (Bangalore) Toyota dealership and did not realize it was the updated/new pricing (obviously they didn't call it out since it was a hike!).

Thanks!
My friend is considering buying the Yaris and I will tell him about the bargaining part

*The low numbers the Yaris is selling is quite evident - I had not seen a single Yaris on the road in Bangalore till yesterday!

Finally saw one in bumper to bumper traffic in the CBD area of the city and the car was a Phantom Brown colored G variant and I was driving right behind it.

I think Toyota has severely overpriced the Yaris in India. At best a mediocre car. Considered a cheap car or Economy car outside India. However, Toyota in India have had such a run of incredible moneyspinning with their Innova and Fortuner etc, that they seem to have in some sense taken the India consumer for granted. Now they are beginning to realise that there are “rough” patches that come along with the “smooth”....
Old 3rd November 2018, 21:39   #129
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Yaris : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I think Toyota has severely overpriced the Yaris in India. At best a mediocre car. Considered a cheap car or Economy car outside India. However, Toyota in India have had such a run of incredible moneyspinning with their Innova and Fortuner etc, that they seem to have in some sense taken the India consumer for granted. Now they are beginning to realise that there are “rough” patches that come along with the “smooth”....

I agree that it's a mediocre car. But, so are all the mid sized cars sold I. India - City, Verna, Ciaz. While Ciaz is India specific, the rest of cars are considered cheap transport in whichever market they are sold in.

In fact I am one of the few who thinks that the demise of D segment cars is such a shame. The Jetta (discontinued)/Octavia (doesn't sell much)/upcoming Civic - offer a level of affordable sophistication and engineering that is far superior than these cars. Only the extra money asked for D segment cars is not evidently visible to eyes...making the VFM quotient quite poor.

In India customer preference is towards feature loaded cars, and SUVs.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 3rd November 2018 at 21:41.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2018, 12:14   #130
Senior - BHPian

I was in the market for a new Sedan recently and opted for a Verna. I test drove the Yaris ( V version MT) first as it was on my top most list.

Some Pro's and Cons as per me.
Pros-
1. 7 air bags and all wheel disk brakes option. The brakes are terrific on this version.

2. Silent cabin and smooth to drive and light controls.

3. Has the features like cruise control etc.

Cons-
1. No dead pedal. A 14 lakh car does not have a dead pedal. Didn't know what to do with the left foot and felt uncomfortable to drive. This was a significant mind changer for me against the Yaris.

2. No leather seats. Again an expensive car does not even come with leather seats and comes with dust magnet type fabric seats. Having 7 airbags meant you can't cover the seats with leather as an accessory as well. The SA did mention that Toyota will provide leather seats specially designed for the Yaris but at a later stage and that I can get it installed. I am sure it will come with an earth shattering and no value for money pricing.

3. Same ancient Etios engine. Yes Yes it has been thoroughly reworked as per Toyota but for me it's the same thing. I could pay less than half the price for the Yaris and get almost the same engine with a little bit of lesser power by buying an Etios so why spend many big bucks on the Yaris? IMHO Toyota should have brought out a Hybrid system at this price point and I would have definitely put my money on this car. Giving the fact that I would be keeping the car for min 7 years It would meant living with an historic engine whereas cars at that time would be running sophisticated hybrid/electric etc type of technology.

4. Pre-historic audio system. Yes I do not use Android Auto much in my Verna and end up using the bluetooth connectivity as I prefer things to be wire less. But it is good to know that it's there if I need it. Same can't said about the Yaris's sound system. It looked old fashioned with the flip type consoles for inserting a CD and does not come with Android Auto as on option. The display reminds me of old early touch screen phones.

So overall I feel Toyota torched it's own feet by pricing the Yaris way too much than the competition and have squandered an good opportunity. However I must say I do have a soft corner for the Toyota and if given a choice again and with loads of money I would have definitely gone for the Yaris just for the Toyota badge and peace of mind factor. Oh wait If i had loads of money I would simply go for the Corolla.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 4th November 2018, 14:48   #131
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I
So overall I feel Toyota torched it's own feet by pricing the Yaris way too much than the competition and have squandered an good opportunity. However I must say I do have a soft corner for the Toyota and if given a choice again and with loads of money I would have definitely gone for the Yaris just for the Toyota badge and peace of mind factor. Oh wait If i had loads of money I would simply go for the Corolla.
Ah yes! Toyota peace of mind. At a rather high price, is really the point, when compared to almost anywhere else in the world. The Corolla is a normal car anywhere else. Here it goes straight into the Base-Luxe category on account of its stratospheric pricing!
That’s the crazy bit in India.
No wonder new car sales appear to be flagging!
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 00:07   #132
BHPian

Not quite. The one in the test has just 2 Airbag as opposed to 7 in the Indian Yaris. Does make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
The Toyota Yaris Hatchback sold in South African market, but Made in Thailand, scored a moderate 3 stars in the latest GNCAP crash testing.

https://Youtu.be/zXG6VR3ssfk

So, is it safe to assume that the Yaris Sedan sold here in India will also score 3 stars? However, considering the cheaper Etios scores an impressive 4 stars this is rather underwhelming.
aveoman19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 09:59   #133
Senior - BHPian

To summarize, the issues are primarily with pricing only?

- Ovepriced by atleast a lakh
- Variants planned do not over enough differentiation to justify the price increases

Decent engines, Well built, Excellent brakes, hassle free low cost of ownership, decent mileage and safe like a house!

Looks like its going to rain discounts!
Old 6th November 2018, 23:05   #134
Senior - BHPian

Request to Mods :

Considering that manufacturers delete/ modify features slyly, please add the below brochures to the Official Review. These will be useful in future for any comparison.

Given that Yaris sales are dismal, Toyota may rationalize features and offer discounts/ lower price.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2018-07-20 Yaris.pdf (5.66 MB, 1101 views)
File Type: pdf 2018-07-02 Yaris Accessories.pdf (937.6 KB, 439 views)
AutoNoob is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 18:36   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Upto Rs 1 lac offer on the Toyota Yaris.

When the Yaris was launched in the beginning of this Year, i was in lookout for a new car and asked Toyota for discount. Yes, i was stupid enough to ask for discount on a newly launched car.
When i told the sales person that the car was over priced, they gave me 100's of reasons to justify the pricing. I had a good relation with them, so i didn't confront.

Today approximately after 8 months from the launch of the Yaris, i received a SMS from a Toyota dealer in Kolkata stating -
'Fabulous festive offer upto Rs 1 lac on all new Toyota Yaris. Call Xxx Toyota at xxxx number. T&c apply. '

Hope they make this offer standard and do not take it off! Taking off this offer will again be a blunder. Perfect example of a good car, getting killed by bad pricing.

Last edited by Samba : 8th November 2018 at 18:45.
Samba is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed