Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2019, 15:21   #196
BHPian

Re: Toyota Yaris : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram78 View Post
Will be taking a TD of the AMT petrol this week. I expect that experience to be good. Shall provide you with an update.

Did not come across such issues when I test drove the Yaris CVT. Driving it was like as they say - 'hot knife through butter'
Hey Ram, Did you take the TD of Nexon AMT petrol?. If so, what were your observations?. Also can you please PM the details of the showroom/sales rep who offered 1.3 lakhs discount on Yaris. I am looking at the top trim of Yaris CVT. Thank you.
Old 19th March 2019, 14:50   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvhplyevraftr View Post
Hey Ram, Did you take the TD of Nexon AMT petrol?. If so, what were your observations?.
Sorry. Missed providing an update as was tied up with office work. Yes. I did take a test drive of the Nexon petrol and the car was smooth. There were no annoying sounds like the one’s I observed in the diesel test drive. Apparently the diesel TD vehicle was having a mechanical issue. This makes me wonder, why the dealers use a faulty vehicle for TD in the first place The TD in most cases makes or breaks the buying decision. Not sure how many customers would they have lost due to this mistake. My wife was ok with the Nexon before the TD but post the TD she was clear that whatever car we buy,it surely would not be the Nexon ! Again, as I said it was the one odd lemon but the sseds of doubt were sown. And trust me, this is not limited to Tata. I experienced it with another reputed brand as well.

Coming back to the car, yes it was very smooth. None of those typical rubber-band effects which we associate with an AMT. Feels solid and gives you a sense of security.I felt very comfortable. The seats are the best among those I test drove like Yaris, Ecosport, Aspire, i20,Duster..its a long list.I would blindly have gone for it except that I did not like its shape at the back.Again,this is relative.

Quote:
Also can you please PM the details of the showroom/sales rep who offered 1.3 lakhs discount on Yaris.
Have PM'ed you the details.

Quote:
I am looking at the top trim of Yaris CVT. Thank you.
Just a few tips as I see you mentioning the same cars that I had shortlisted. You mentioned that you are looking at the top end Yaris CVT. In that case, if Nexon is also in your shortlist, note that you will be missing a lot of bells and whistles and importantly a few safety features you will be getting in the Yaris and not in the Nexon. 5 extra airbags being among the most critical.

Again,if Nexon is in your shortlist, just for the heck of it,try taking a TD of the Eco-Sport as well. This was not in my shortlist. But after taking a test-drive and reading the reviews in our forum,it has made a strong case for itself. At approx. 13.8 OTR for the top end Titainum + petrol AT (TC not AMT) you will get almost all features of a Yaris top-end.It has ESC,TCS,HLA,EBA,Paddle shifters and many more. And it surely has a lot of power or whatever you call it.At 11.7 OTR you’l get the Trend+ petrol AT which has almost all important features of Titanium+ except the 4 extra airbags and Cruise.You seem to be from Hyderabad.In case you are want to check out the Ecosport try meeting Mr.Nitish who is the SA at Mody Ford,Begumpet.I had a nice experience dealing with him.

Best of luck in making an informed choice.
Ram78 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2019, 15:23   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Coming back to the car, yes it was very smooth. None of those typical rubber-band effects which we associate with an AMT. Feels solid and gives you a sense of security.I felt very comfortable.
"Rubber Band" effect, is associated with CVT.

Last edited by RedStallion : 19th March 2019 at 15:27.
RedStallion is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th March 2019, 15:38   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStallion View Post
"Rubber Band" effect, is associated with CVT automatic transmission.
Oh! Thanks. What do you call the forward 'movement' that one feels in an AMT when it shifts gears? I face this in my WagonR AMT. Sorry for the wrong terminology used in the earlier post.
Old 19th March 2019, 15:45   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Oh! Thanks. What do you call the forward 'movement' that one feels in an AMT when it shifts gears? I face this in my WagonR AMT. Sorry for the wrong terminology used in the earlier post.
I think its called the AMT head nod because of the head nodding effect of AMT while changing gears
roamer012 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2019, 20:24   #201
BHPian

I recently had a chance to be driven in the yaris. Although the ride was quite plush on smooth tarmac, I could hear a significant thud in the cabin while going over potholes. The car is about 3 months old now. Aren't these things unusual in new cars ?

And while stepping out, I happened to notice a significant panel gap between the fender and the door, and it wasn't even consistent !

Looks like toyota's "quality" is going for a toss
Old 21st March 2019, 18:11   #202
BANNED

Quote:
Toyota is offering a discount of up to Rs. 1.34 lakh discount on 2018 MY of Yaris and Rs. 65,000 on the 2019 model. Toyota introduced Yaris last year with great expectations and the model was priced head-on against the competitors. Now the company is offering a discount of up to Rs. 1.34 lakh for Yaris to improve sales as the Japanese manufacturer sold just 350 units last month which makes it the least selling model in its class.

The Yaris is offered in four variants – J, G, V and VX. Among these four, only V variant comes with a discount of up to Rs. 1.34 lakh which include Rs. 84,000 discount, Rs. 20,000 exchange bonus and Rs. 30,000 corporate discount. The J CVT comes with Rs. 42,000 discount, Rs. 20,000 exchange bonus and Rs. 20,000 corporate discount, which takes the total discount of up to Rs. 82,000.

The base J variant with manual transmission gets benefits of up to Rs. 65,000 which includes Rs. 25,000 discount, Rs. 20,000 exchange bonus and Rs. 20,000 corporate discount. This offer is currently applicable on 2018 MY of Yaris as so many dealerships have unsold stock and the company announced this scheme as part of the Toyota Memorable March Discount Scheme. The company is offering Rs. 65,000 as a discount on 2019 MY of Yaris.
Source

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 22nd March 2019 at 15:02. Reason: Adding quotes for the reproduced content.
pavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2019, 00:06   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post

The Yaris is offered in four variants – J, G, V and VX. Among these four, only V variant comes with a discount of up to Rs. 1.34 lakh which include Rs. 84,000 discount, Rs. 20,000 exchange bonus and Rs. 30,000 corporate discount. The J CVT comes with Rs. 42,000 discount, Rs. 20,000 exchange bonus and Rs. 20,000 corporate discount, which takes the total discount of up to Rs. 82,000.
Atleast till 3 weeks back, there was an offer of 1.35 lakhs straight cash discount on J CVT in Hyderabad on the Sept . 2018 manufactured car. Not sure if it still exists.
Old 25th March 2019, 23:36   #204
BHPian

Booked Red VX CVT today.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 26th March 2019 at 00:23. Reason: typo
Old 26th March 2019, 07:08   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsnt View Post
Booked Red VX CVT today.
Congratulations!! Welcome to the Yaris family in our forum. Do share your decision-making process and booking / delivery experience.
Simhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 08:50   #206
BHPian

Dear Friends, I picked my Red VX cvt on 30th April. I am very happy with the car. Its primarily my wife's car. She has taken to cvt very well.

I wanted to know if there is any way to switch off rear interior lamps? They do not have any switch to regulate their functioning like front ones. They always light on when door opens. I prefer to keep lights off when travelling with family during night.

I called my service advisor and he said that there is no way to switch them off. Only way is to remove bulbs.
Old 5th April 2019, 11:51   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Friends, I picked my Red VX cvt on 30th April.
I wanted to know if there is any way to switch off rear interior lamps?
Congratulations once again. I hope you meant 30th March.

In my Yaris "V" Variant, the rear interior lamps can be switched off. The switches are part of the light console. The way I have set it is to have it ON when car is unlocked and have it OFF when car is locked.

A sample picture of rear light console is shown for reference
Toyota Yaris : Official Review-yaris_rear_lamps.jpg
Simhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2019, 00:25   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
Congratulations once again. I hope you meant 30th March.

In my Yaris "V" Variant, the rear interior lamps can be switched off. The switches are part of the light console. The way I have set it is to have it ON when car is unlocked and have it OFF when car is locked.

A sample picture of rear light console is shown for reference
Attachment 1865796
It's the same design in my car also but I couldn't find any way to keep them off completely. Probably some technical problem. These switches turn lights on when doors are closed. But lights automatically turn on when doors are opened. I want them to be off when doors are opened.

Last edited by drsnt : 6th April 2019 at 00:27.
Old 16th April 2019, 15:55   #209
BHPian

Anyone did any modification to the hand rest? It's too short and useless otherwise.
Old 17th April 2019, 05:54   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Anyone did any modification to the hand rest? It's too short and useless otherwise.
I believe the dealers themselves provide after-market solutions. Not sure how much of the problem it solves. But you could always give it a try.

As a back-up you always have AliExpress. Yaris is an international model. So you should be able to find an alternative here.

Good luck!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th April 2019 at 12:49. Reason: Typo.
arunramaswamy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed