Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2021, 15:05   #346
BHPian

Re: Toyota Yaris : Official Review

Update from my side on visit to Toyota U Trust dealership to check out Yaris Vx CVT.
Car is good to drive. I really loved it. Never felt under powered in my test drive. Paddle shift was fun to use as it was my first experience. I feel CVT and rubber band effect might not be a big concern, in fact, paddle shifter should add fun of manual in automatic . Car has LED projector which is not genuine Toyota accessories. Hope no wire was cut and doesn't void warranties.
Dealer came down to 9.5 Lakh. Price seems fine, though I was expecting some more negotiations.

Only part with which I am uncomfortable is service history. Car was last serviced in June 2019. Since then it was driven almost 9000 KM, but it is not serviced. Yaris has service interval of 6 months I believe. Sales person was trying to cover up by blaming lockdown, but I was not convinced with his arguments. Even if 6 months service interval was not followed, at least oil and filters should have been changed. That would have given me something to be happy about if not complete satisfaction.
Service part is only blocker for me.

What do other members suggest?
VaibhaoT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 16:17   #347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaibhaoT View Post
Yaris has service interval of 6 months I believe. Sales person was trying to cover up by blaming lockdown, but I was not convinced with his arguments.
Yaris has 12 months service interval. Regular maintenance hardly cost Rs.2K. Not a big amount for the dealer. You can always ask the dealer to get it serviced from his end before delivery.
Simhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 16:41   #348
BHPian

Quote:

As Simhi mentioned, Yaris has a 12 month service interval. I see two red flags, service is delayed by 6 months and aftermarket headlamps have been installed. No matter what the salesman says now, you will most likely loose warranty related to electricals and engine+gearbox warranty due to delayed service. Being a Toyota it is very unlikely for the engine and gearbox to go bad soon but your experience may vary. Price is tempting so if I was in your shoes, I will negotiate for a free extended warranty upto 7 years and ask for it in writing that warranty will be honoured if you follow all the remaining services as per schedule. If they don't give it in writing, stay away. You'll definitely find a better deal.
nagr22 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 22:23   #349
BHPian

Thanks for response Simhi, nagr22.
I have not purchased pre-owned car before, so my lack of experience definitely makes me more hesitant .
I will mostly let this car go. Will post here if the deal succeeds. But deal will not be happening without written assurance from dealer that warranty (even extended) will not void because of gap in service and external fitment.

On a side note, this was my first Toyota dealership experience. It was way better than any other brand showroom visits in the past. Right from security guard at the gate to salesman, every one was very attentive and experience provided was very premium. It was even better than the Nexa.

Last edited by VaibhaoT : 2nd January 2021 at 22:31.
Old 3rd January 2021, 20:39   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
10L seems a good price for the VX variant. Did you people get a chance to negotiate it further before the close of the year? If not, you can bargain further as long as you find the car service history fine and there are no accidents involved.
Regarding automatics, TC/CVT transmissions are preferred. Once you get good understanding of the CVT transmission, you will not feel the rubber band effect.
I test drove the car and it is in mint condition. I also checked for the service history from Toyota dealership and found the car has been serviced as per schedule and there has been no issues reported in the car. and I also took the car to a local mechanic and he also gave me thumbs up on condition of the car. As the car has just 21K on the ODO, the local dealer is not going below 9.8L. I offered him 9.25L.
I found the Toyota CVT much peppier than the Honda City CVT. As I will be the 2nd owner, I do not want to spend more than 9.5L on this car as I know it will be difficult to get any money from this car after 5-6 years.
harpreetsubhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 20:55   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Update from my side on visit to Toyota U Trust dealership to check out Yaris Vx CVT.
Car is good to drive. I really loved it. Never felt under powered in my test drive. Paddle shift was fun to use as it was my first experience. I feel CVT and rubber band effect might not be a big concern, in fact, paddle shifter should add fun of manual in automatic . Car has LED projector which is not genuine Toyota accessories. Hope no wire was cut and doesn't void warranties.

Dealer came down to 9.5 Lakh. Price seems fine, though I was expecting some more negotiations.

Only part with which I am uncomfortable is service history. Car was last serviced in June 2019. Since then it was driven almost 9000 KM, but it is not serviced. Yaris has service interval of 6 months I believe. Sales person was trying to cover up by blaming lockdown, but I was not convinced with his arguments. Even if 6 months service interval was not followed, at least oil and filters should have been changed. That would have given me something to be happy about if not complete satisfaction.

The projectors are standard in VX. Have the bulbs behind been changed from halogen to LED? Moreover if you compare the CVT of Toyota with Honda, Toyota is much more fun to drive.

How much on the ODO for the VX CVT?

Moreover my dealer may also come down to 9.5L but my only concern is that Toyota may discontinue this vehicle and selling it after 5-7 years may really be a pain.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 10th January 2021 at 23:03. Reason: Minor typo. Thanks.
Old 3rd January 2021, 21:20   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetsubhi View Post
The projectors are standard in VX. Have the bulbs behind been changed from halogen to LED? Moreover if you compare the CVT of Toyota with Honda, Toyota is much more fund to drive.
Not just bulb, but there was a small box for each headlight, which is not OEM. Even salesman confirmed that its outside accessories.

Not driven Honda City CVT, but this one was fun. Also I drive sedately, so I found it suitable for my driving style.

Quote:
How much on the ODO for the VX CVT?

Quote:
Moreover my dealer may also come down to 9.5L but my only concern is that Toyota may discontinue this vehicle and selling it after 5-7 years may really be a pain.
I am not worried about model getting discontinued. I feel Toyota will provide good support to their legacy models. Qualis owner should attest it.

Based on my personal test drive, I would strongly recommend to go ahead with car if you are happy with her current condition. Car will surely bring smile on your face every time you fire her engine.

Today, I received call from the dealer, he wanted to know my expectations. I told him that without written guarantee of warranty, I will not go ahead. He was ready to come down on price, but was not interested to negotiate on written assurance.

Last edited by VaibhaoT : 3rd January 2021 at 21:40. Reason: correction
Old 4th January 2021, 07:09   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Not just bulb, but there was a small box for each headlight, which is not OEM.

He was ready to come down on price, but was not interested to negotiate on written assurance.
This one should be easy. Can you post a photo/video of the headlights? And the black plastic portion behind the headlight (in the engine bay)?

If it’s a direct plug&play modification, reversing it to stock would be a 10 minute job. All you’ll have to do is buy new stock (H4) bulbs, which are dirt cheap.

If however, if the wiring harness has been cut/spliced, goodbye warranty.
Old 5th January 2021, 13:17   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
This one should be easy. Can you post a photo/video of the headlights? And the black plastic portion behind the headlight (in the engine bay)?
I forgot to take picture when I went for test drive. Let me try to get it from sales person. I will update here.
Old 13th January 2021, 20:03   #355
Senior - BHPian

My Yaris VX CVT's battery went limping after 22 months of purchase. Despite regular use, one fine day the car couldn't start. It is jump started by RSA, but I wonder whether it warrants a change with new battery.
Old 14th January 2021, 11:43   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Not just bulb, but there was a small box for each headlight, which is not OEM. Even salesman confirmed that its outside accessories.

Today, I received call from the dealer, he wanted to know my expectations. I told him that without written guarantee of warranty, I will not go ahead. He was ready to come down on price, but was not interested to negotiate on written assurance.
I contacted a dealer for a new Yaris. He has offered me handsome discounts for Yaris CVT G optional. The car is 2020 manufactured. The cost should be near to 12L for this variant with extended warranty included. The only deal breaker for me is missing of Cruise control in this variant. On the other side, as mentioned before, I'm getting a VX 2018 in 9.5L. That car has 21000 on the ODO and as mentioned by the GM Sales, it is test drive mule of the agency. But he mentions it is super well maintained. I'm now confused on what to choose now. I'm inclined towards the great features on the VX to the freshness of the new car. What do the esteemed members recommend.
Old 14th January 2021, 12:00   #357
BHPian

Quote:
On the other side, as mentioned before, I'm getting a VX 2018 in 9.5L. That car has 21000 on the ODO and as mentioned by the GM Sales, it is test drive mule of the agency. But he mentions it is super well maintained. I'm now confused on what to choose now. I'm inclined towards the great features on the VX to the freshness of the new car. What do the esteemed members recommend.
I would suggest to go for Vx, if you are happy with service records and overall condition. From the prices of pre owned Yaris, it looks like depreciation of Yaris is very high compared to other Toyota cousins. So costly and feature deprived variant may not make much sense, just because its new.
Old 14th January 2021, 20:17   #358
BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest to go for Vx, if you are happy with service records and overall condition. From the prices of pre owned Yaris, it looks like depreciation of Yaris is very high compared to other Toyota cousins. So costly and feature deprived variant may not make much sense, just because its new.
Thanks for replying. Surely will check and see if the dealer can bring down the rate more further. I will keep this thread posted.
Old 14th January 2021, 21:34   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
My Yaris VX CVT's battery went limping after 22 months of purchase. Despite regular use, one fine day the car couldn't start. It is jump started by RSA, but I wonder whether it warrants a change with new battery.
Best to get it checked by battery experts to know the status.

Also does Toyota provide a separate warranty for the battery or is it part of the car's warranty?
Old 14th January 2021, 22:05   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
My Yaris VX CVT's battery went limping after 22 months of purchase. but I wonder whether it warrants a change with new battery.
Many people have reported battery dying within 2 years of purchase. If I am not wrong, Toyota gives only 12 months warranty on battery. Better to get it checked with a battery dealer. In worst case scenario, you might want to get it replaced.

Quote:
That car has 21000 on the ODO and as mentioned by the GM Sales, it is test drive mule of the agency.
Test drive vehicles are usually abused by people taking test drives. I would stay away from such deals. You might want to refer to this thread - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4436516.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks