Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2020, 22:07   #331
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Yaris : Official Review

I have previous version Yaris VX CVT with non android auto head unit. Has anyone been able to use apps on this? I tried downloading and running youtube, but it says 'forbidden!' Any way to update the system, or am I missing something?
Old 9th November 2020, 14:50   #332
Senior - BHPian

Yaris has TPMS, but it's quite useless. You get a yellow popup on the display showing some tyre has low air, but it doesn't tell which tyre, or by how much it is low. I got a puncture last week, and yet before or after the puncture, the light kept on showing yellow. No change in indication. I liked Ecosport's TPMS which told how much air was there in which tyre.
ani_meher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 17:18   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Yaris has TPMS, but it's quite useless. You get a yellow popup on the display showing some tyre has low air, but it doesn't tell which tyre, or by how much it is low.
I have a 'V' variant and am surprised with Toyota providing such a rudimentary TPMS in VX variant. I checked the official review but could not find information regarding how TPMS data is displayed. We don't have a VX variant ownership review in the forum and would strongly suggest penning down one.
Simhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 18:22   #334
Senior - BHPian

What are the kind of bulbs that are used by Toyota Yaris? H11 for lower and H4 for upper?
Old 12th November 2020, 20:49   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
What are the kind of bulbs that are used by Toyota Yaris? H11 for lower and H4 for upper?
Refer the manual! Bane of car not being a sales superhit.

Toyota Yaris : Official Review-img20201112wa0101.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 13th November 2020 at 04:45. Reason: Abbreviation expanded
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 12:09   #336
BHPian

Yes Yaris is definitely not a car which is seen in the market. The other day I had gone to get the alignment done. My usual guy. He did not have the software for the Yaris. In fact he asked me if this is a new model from Toyota.
Palio_2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 17:16   #337
Senior - BHPian

The Yaris head unit seems to have a mirror function which connects mobile phones via bluetooth. Has anyone used this feature and is it better than having android auto? Also are we able to control the mirrored app functions via the car headunit or the phone is the only way to operate the applications?

Thanks.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 22:04   #338

Hi, I am thinking of buying a used Yaris CVT from the below options

1. 2018 Model J version CVT 8 Lakhs 17K Run

2. 2018 Model V Version CVT 9 Lakhs 38K Run

Which one do you advise to buy and I do have one doubt reg CVT.

Can I manually control the gears even without the paddle shifters, I am asking since engine breaking on ghat sections would be critical and I want to avoid the CVT if I cannot control the revs when required. Pl guide as I am finalizing the deal in a day or two
sgautam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 22:26   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
The Yaris head unit seems to have a mirror function which connects mobile phones via bluetooth. Has anyone used this feature and is it better than having android auto? Also are we able to control the mirrored app functions via the car headunit or the phone is the only way to operate the applications?

Thanks.
Frankly it is useless because as soon as you cross 20kph speed, the screen turns off with a warning that it is not safe to look at it while moving. So you can't use it for navigation. You also cannot control phone functions from head unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgautam View Post
Hi, I am thinking of buying a used Yaris CVT from the below options

1. 2018 Model J version CVT 8 Lakhs 17K Run

2. 2018 Model V Version CVT 9 Lakhs 38K Run

Which one do you advise to buy and I do have one doubt reg CVT.
Go for the one without any accidents. If both are accident free, V CVT is more value for money as it has 4 disc brakes, cruise control, fog lamps, front parking sensors etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgautam View Post

Can I manually control the gears even without the paddle shifters
Yes. You can control the CVT steps by putting the gear selector in manual mode.
nagr22 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 22:47   #340

Yes. You can control the CVT steps by putting the gear selector in manual mode.[/quote]

Many thanks for your prompt clarification. Today went for the TD of the J variant and its in mint condition.

But one major concern is the rear seat space and height. Coming from a Linea the rear seat seemed cramped and my head was touching the roof. I felt a bit claustrophobic. The car itself ran well and I felt comfortable very quickly. CVT seems to be the way ahead. In two minds now,

On the plus side (which are many) the build seems quite robust unlike the City, 7 airbags, the CVT seemed better than the City. The arm rest location is a major oversight. Its useless and eates into the already tight rear space.

Its funny to see Toyota trying so hard to sell such a nice car, wonder where they went wrong. Not long ago the Etios was selling for similar money albeit sipping diff fuel. Wonder how much profit they are making per car and how Makers value their place in the product hierarchy. Extremely value for money car.
Old 30th December 2020, 20:29   #341
BHPian

Hello all
I'm looking at buying a VX AT May 2018 with 21k on ODO. The dealer is demanding 10.11 L. Is this the right price for the car ? I checked with Toyota service center and service history has nothing which should raise eyebrows. Car seems to be in mint condition. Looking for guidance from the gang.
Old 31st December 2020, 15:50   #342
BHPian

Toyota Vios GR-Sport has been launched in Malaysia which is based on the same car sold as Yaris in India. A short review can be found here:

In summary, it has GR-Yaris inspired body kit, sporty suspension riding on 17 inch alloy wheels, same engine and CVT gearbox as the current generation yaris but tuned to have a 10 step mapping instead of the 7 steps which is present in the standard variant! I learnt something new today that a CVT gearbox can be tuned by software to change the number of simulated gear changes! I find that cool and hoping for aftermarket tuners to crack the code so that I can get mine tuned with 10 steps!
The reviews for this 10 step tuning is very positive as it makes the gearbox to ALWAYS stay in the powerband (you can check reviews in youtube) and the chassis is praised for its chuckability into the corners (There is one video in youtube where a reviewer in Malaysia drives it like a maniac on a public road leading to a mountain to prove its cornering abilities. I am not posting here as I don't want to promote such driving).

If it's just a software update, why can't Toyota release it in India to increase the cars appeal? In the sea of turbo petrol cars, a 10 speed transmission which is tuned to extract maximum performance will definitely hold its own fort and might even revive the dying Yaris brand in India. Bring it to India Toyota!!!!

Last edited by nagr22 : 31st December 2020 at 16:04.
nagr22 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 11:43   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetsubhi View Post
Hello all
I'm looking at buying a VX AT May 2018 with 21k on ODO. The dealer is demanding 10.11 L. Is this the right price for the car ? I checked with Toyota service center and service history has nothing which should raise eyebrows. Car seems to be in mint condition. Looking for guidance from the gang.
I am also looking at the similar car. Vx CVT, Aug 2018 registered, 19K on odo. Dealer is quoting 10 Lakh.
I am surprised to know that Yaris doesn't support Android Auto/Apple Car Play. I really like it in my current car.
CVT and rubber band effect is another reason for me to think twice. Automatic is main reason for me to change the car.
Old 1st January 2021, 14:49   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetsubhi View Post
I'm looking at buying a VX AT May 2018 with 21k on ODO. The dealer is demanding 10.11 L. Is this the right price for the car ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaibhaoT View Post
I am also looking at the similar car. Vx CVT, Aug 2018 registered, 19K on odo. Dealer is quoting 10 Lakh.
10L seems a good price for the VX variant. Did you people get a chance to negotiate it further before the close of the year? If not, you can bargain further as long as you find the car service history fine and there are no accidents involved.
Regarding automatics, TC/CVT transmissions are preferred. Once you get good understanding of the CVT transmission, you will not feel the rubber band effect.
Simhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 17:29   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
10L seems a good price for the VX variant. Did you people get a chance to negotiate it further before the close of the year? If not, you can bargain further as long as you find the car service history fine and there are no accidents involved.
I am yet to see the car. Its with Toyota U Trust dealership. Planning to visit tomorrow.Will update on final pricing offered by dealer once I visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
Regarding automatics, TC/CVT transmissions are preferred. Once you get good understanding of the CVT transmission, you will not feel the rubber band effect.
Vx has paddle shifter. So it might be fun to learn .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks