Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2021, 08:18   #376
BHPian

Re: Toyota Yaris : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
2 years 30k warranty is I think good if it includes all the critical parts.
The warranty covers the following - engine, transmission, drive line, suspension, electrical, AC system, steering, braking. It also includes any remaining factory warranty as per original terms.
k_kumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 09:11   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_kumar View Post
certified Toyotas are supposed to be accident free only.
Is this the case? I was not aware and neither could find such statements on their site.

I would still recommend inspecting the vehicle with help of a technician or insurance surveyor and also to dig out details on whether an accident occurred and whether there are any structural damages. The price quoted is good for the VX variant but would recommend completing all due diligence before signing the papers.
Simhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 09:54   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
Is this the case? I was not aware and neither could find such statements on their site.
Here is the link where these are mentioned on their website - https://toyotautrust.in/certification/

Attaching a screenshot for quick reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Yaris : Official Review-cert1.png  

k_kumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 19:33   #379

I was following Team-BHP for a long time and finally got access to this forum. My Yaris J MT has completed 2.5 years and 28500KM. Sharing my experience so far –

1. 7 airbags, ABS EBD with BA, height adjustable front seat belts, 3-point seat belt for all passengers, usable head rests for all passengers and ISOFIX /anchor points.
  2. Comfortable seats. All seats, except rear middle one, provide adequate support
  3. Toyota experience was better and comfortable than Hyundai or Maruti which I had experienced previously.
  4. Ride quality is very good compared to other cars which we owned. Also, I never felt exhausted after long and continuous drives.
  5. Though the J variant comes with basic ICE(Panasonic non-touch HU) it meets my requirements(decent sound quality, Bluetooth connectivity).

Dislikes:
  1. No speed sensing auto door lock and no Rear defogger in J variant.
  2. The car does not pull well in second gear- may be my light foot driving is the culprit. Etios petrol was way better than this.
  3. Rear passengers used to feel uncomfortable while taking hill roads. Maybe, because the space available at rear is average due to sloping rooflines.
  4. Niggles – yes, it is a Toyota. First it was the AC knob which failed but got replaced under warranty and the second issue was the engine starting issue where the vehicle was towed to the Service center.
Issues:
  1. AC knob issue which was replaced under warranty.
  2. Engine starting issue in Feb 2021 and it was more critical. When I started the car in the evening, it started with violent shakes as if one cylinder was not firing or misfiring. But no warning/error lights on MID. Vehicle was taken to Toyota Service center the next day (Availed Toyota RSA and happy with their service (can rate 10/10)). Discussed with my SA and they acknowledged the issue as they tried to start the car and got the same issue. In the afternoon they called me again and told me that they were able to start the car without any issue after their lunch. They agreed that they were not able to identify the root cause, so they want to keep it for a day to check every suspected part. Next day they again called me and the car was ready for delivery after all inspections (They couldn't find any issues though they checked the fuel tank, fuel line, spark plugs, HT cables, etc).Anyway they did what they could do, so I took my car back home.
    I have completed 3500KM after this issue and completed three long drives of 400+KM and the issue never came back. But still I am not very confident as I feel something is there which needs to be rectified. This is the first car in my family which was towed to the service center due to a starting issue (We owned Honda, Maruti, Tata and Chevrolet cars).
Services:
  1. 1000KM (Jan 2019)– First service and completed basic checks. Kreek sound while braking was checked, and I was told that it is quite normal. Fog lamps and Seat Covers (Airbag compatible) were installed during this service. SA explained every work done on my car.
  2. 10000KM (Jul 2019)– Regular service including Oil change and Wheel Balancing and Alignment. Total bill was 2500/-.
  3. 20000KM (Jul 2020) – Regular service including Oil change, Wheel Balance and alignment. AC knob (Manual flow control knob) was replaced as it was struck, and flow control was not working properly. Total bill was around 2800/-.
Credit notes:
It was DBhpian Samba’s Etios ownership thread which led me to Toyota. It was Team BHP “What Car” threads which helped me to take a decision favoring my heart(Yaris) than my mind(i20 Active which I booked and cancelled right after paying booking amount)

And here she is
Toyota Yaris : Official Review-yar.jpg
wavingflag is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 21:39   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavingflag View Post
I was following Team-BHP for a long time and finally got access to this forum. My Yaris J MT has completed 2.5 years and 28500KM.
I see this is your first post. Welcome to the team-bhp forum as well as the Yaris family.

Quote:
Also, I never felt exhausted after long and continuous drives.
Agree with all your points especially this one. Never felt exhausted even after driving for 3 to 4 hours continuously.

Quote:
Issues:
  1. AC knob issue which was replaced under warranty.
  2. Engine starting issue in Feb 2021 and it was more critical.
Surprised that service center did not find the root cause even after acknowledging the issue. I am suspecting fuel quality though.

Quote:
helped me to take a decision favoring my heart(Yaris) than my mind(i20 Active which I booked and cancelled right after paying booking amount)
People buying Yaris listen to their heart more than their mind.
Hope you continue to enjoy miles with your Yaris. Keep sharing your experiences.
Simhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 21:45   #381
BHPian

Quote:
I was following Team-BHP for a long time and finally got access to this forum.
.[*]Engine starting issue in Feb 2021 and it was more critical. When I started the car in the evening, it started with violent shakes as if one cylinder was not firing or misfiring. But no warning/error lights on MID.
Welcome to the forum and also welcome to the Yaris family. I too am a former Etios owner and now upgraded to Yaris. I own a V CVT.

Coming to the niggles, the AC knob issue is a known one and Toyota is replacing only when users complain. I would recommend all J MT/CVT owners of Yaris to proactively get it replaced before the warranty expires.

Regarding the engine issue, the exact same behaviour was observed in one of my colleague's J CVT as well with the exact same symptoms. He had to call RSA and they too acknowledged the issue and then tightened some bolts and the issue went away. He had recently serviced his car and it was assumed that there was some loose connection which was not addressed before delivery.

In my case, one day I cleaned the air filter of my car and while removing it I also unplugged a nearby connector to get better access to the filter. When I put the filter back I forgot to re-plug the connector and my car too started having rough idle with higher than usual rpm and more vibrations while driving. I quickly realised that I forgot to put the connector back and so I stopped the car and inserted the connector in the slot and the problem went away. I did some research online and I think I removed the MAF sensor connector which caused the car to run in open loop with erratic throttle behaviour. I am assuming yours too was something similar so don't worry about it.
By the way, if you are interested to join a whatsapp group of Yaris owners, DM me your number. Cheers!

Last edited by nagr22 : 16th March 2021 at 21:47.
nagr22 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 18:17   #382
BHPian

Hi guys. Just completed a 3500 kms trip in Gujarat (just before the CV cases flared up). Route taken was Pune - A'dabad - Rann - Bhuj -Dholavira - Patan - Gir -Baroda-Pune. We just decided in a week and left without any bookings. We ended up staying in star hotels at throwaway prices (thanks to trivago and booking.com).

The roads in Gujarat are amazing. Wondering why even after paying higher taxes in Maharashtra don't we have such infrastructure. The toll nakas were well managed with most of the vehicles using fastags. Whereever there was road work, no toll was being collected. Contrast to our beloved state.

We ended up driving 9-10 hours at stretch and thank God for the Yaris. There was no fatigue, suspension, handling, road grip - impressive. It was about 35 degrees but the AC and the rear vent were more than adequate. Tons of luggage was swallowed up. We returned with more luggage than we left.

The CVT is very convenient but not a hoot to drive. Also when pushed hard, we saw a drop in efficiency. Overall she returned a mileage of 13.8 kmpl. Considering the weight, average speed of 60 kmph I think this is OK.

The car does bottom out on speed-breakers and we scraped a few on the way. Maybe a stiffer suspension would have helped but that would have meant a stiffer ride.

Overall I am very happy with my purchase. It's a no nonsense car (I do miss my Linea a lot) which is good for taking one from point A to B with no fuss.
Palio_2005 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 21:22   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
The car does bottom out on speed-breakers and we scraped a few on the way. Maybe a stiffer suspension would have helped but that would have meant a stiffer ride.
USed to happen with my Etios with the stock goodyear. A change to Continental fixed that. Not sure if its similar issue, but hoping it helps.

Congratulations for the great trip, seems you had fun,
kotirajendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 21:42   #384
BHPian

Quote:
I do miss my Linea a lot
How do you compare a Linea Tjet with Toyota Yaris? When I was thinking of replacing my Linea Tjet six months ago, Toyota Yaris along with Skoda rapid was one of the considerations. Now with the Covid situation and the long drives having dried up significantly, I am in no hurry and decided to continue with the Tjet for the next couple of years. As of today, the 10 year old Tjet still drives like a dream. So it is a hard car to replace.
Given that you have driven both Linea and Yaris, can you list the pros and cons comparing the two from your point of view?
Old 17th March 2021, 22:32   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
How do you compare a Linea Tjet with Toyota Yaris? When I was thinking of replacing my Linea Tjet six months ago, Toyota Yaris along with Skoda rapid was one of the considerations. Now with the Covid situation and the long drives having dried up significantly, I am in no hurry and decided to continue with the Tjet for the next couple of years. As of today, the 10 year old Tjet still drives like a dream. So it is a hard car to replace.

Given that you have driven both Linea and Yaris, can you list the pros and cons comparing the two from your point of view?
Hi. Both are different cars. I had an MJD with the low GC. Had a Palio 1.6 before that. Nothing can compare to the ride, handling and bonding that you can have with Fiat cars. Man!! the hydraulic steering and the corner hugging. ooh la la. They just evoke that feeling in you. Unfortunately I had to sell my Linea as it had run close to 1.2 lakh kms and getting it serviced and waiting for small parts was not working out.

Purchased a S cross 1,3 - remapped it and the engine was a hoot. However I could never connect with the car, though it was so unlike a Maruti. Steering too vague, stiff ride and insufficient boot space.

Traded it as I wanted a sedan with boot space, autobox and fuss free. Ciaz was out, NHC too expensive, Verna (good engine) rear too cramped, expensive service. Yaris just felt right with good built quality, safety features, reliability and service. I got a great deal too, a BS4 which I picked up in Dec. Got a decent 1.5 lakhs off on the sticker price. It was a display car which was the V (option version)

So unless you have a compelling reason, I wouldn't trade a Linea for anything.
Palio_2005 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 22:36   #386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotirajendra View Post
USed to happen with my Etios with the stock goodyear. A change to Continental fixed that. Not sure if its similar issue, but hoping it helps.

Congratulations for the great trip, seems you had fun,
Thanks. It was indeed fun. I have Bridgestone Turanza tyres. Car usually doesnt scrape but I guess 4 adults and tonnes of stuff made the rear sag a little. The usual huge gap between the 15" tyres and arches seemed like a perfect fit. So I guess Toyota had a thought in mind when they gave those puny 15 inchers.
Old 17th March 2021, 22:52   #387
BHPian

Quote:

So unless you have a compelling reason, I wouldn't trade a Linea for anything.
Thank you man. I got the answer I am looking for. As you said, I will hold on to the Tjet as long as it is trouble free. It is just 90K kms old which is young for today's standards. This car has the imported Tjet engine which came with the initial set of Tjets rolled out in 2010/2011.
But I am glad we have an able car in the form of Toyota Yaris if the need arises to replace my Tjet.
Old 18th March 2021, 08:16   #388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
But I am glad we have an able car in the form of Toyota Yaris if the need arises to replace my Tjet.
Yaris can never be an able replacement for a Tjet. Infact there is a thread with a member asking advise on replacement of his Linea Tjet. I don't think anyone in that thread would have bought Yaris into contention. The only decent replacement for Tjet in similar price range is the Vento/Rapid TSI MT. It won't be as fun as the Linea however it's best among all other sedans under 10 L (ex showroom)
Yaris is a good chauffer driven car. It's perfect for an individual who wants a pleasant ownership experience at a low cost. It is no where near fun to drive and feels like a boat. However, you will have a trouble free long ownership experience with Yaris especially with one of the best after sales service experience with Toyota.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 09:32   #389
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Purchased a S cross 1,3 - remapped it and the engine was a hoot. However I could never connect with the car, though it was so unlike a Maruti. Steering too vague, stiff ride and insufficient boot space.
Can you elaborate more on your SCross ownership? When did you buy? How many years you owned it? How was the service costs? How well it aged ? I'm a fiatian as well and I can understand how well a fiat connects to owner like no other car can do. So I'm retaining my punto with me and adding SCRoss for family. We're planning to buy S Cross petrol Zeta variant. My only grouse is how well it will age say after 5 years. Will it hold fort? Other car in contention is Ecosports TDCI which many appreciate even after years of ownership. Although our running is less so a petrol will suffice but TDCI service costs are too low as compared to SCross. Only area where SCross justifies is on the space and feel of big car over Ecosports. Your inputs will definitely help me.
Old 18th March 2021, 13:11   #390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Can you elaborate more on your SCross ownership? When did you buy? How many years you owned it? How was the service costs? How well it aged ? I'm a fiatian as well and I can understand how well a fiat connects to owner like no other car can do. So I'm retaining my punto with me and adding SCRoss for family. We're planning to buy S Cross petrol Zeta variant. My only grouse is how well it will age say after 5 years. Will it hold fort? Other car in contention is Ecosports TDCI which many appreciate even after years of ownership. Although our running is less so a petrol will suffice but TDCI service costs are too low as compared to SCross. Only area where SCross justifies is on the space and feel of big car over Ecosports. Your inputs will definitely help me.
Hi there. An Scross is definitely a very competent car and with the remapped engine it was a hoot to drive (I had a 1.3 MJD remapped from Wolf). Maruti made a mistake of not introducing the turbo petrol variant sold in Europe with auto box. The 1.6 was priced a whopping 1+ lakh over the 1.3 variant which killed it.

The steering feel, stiffer ride, no auto (in Dec 2019) and boot space (for my planned road trips) made me look elsewhere. I had the car for over 3 years and apart from some minor rattle here and there it was quite well built as compared to the other tin boxes from Maruti. Could seat 3 at the rear comfortably. Luggage space is decent too.

As I said about the Yaris, I like the car but it's adequate and serves my needs.

I haven't driven the 1.5 petrol or the Ecosport (ever) so am not able to comment on that. But given that you have a Punto which you intend to keep for your driving pleasure, you should go with a S cross as a family car. A Ecosport is nothing but a glorified hatch on stilts (apologies to the owners) and with Ford's future uncertain I am not too sure on the service support in the longer run. Plus the Scross is a genuinely a bigger car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks