Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2021, 15:51   #361
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Yaris : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Also does Toyota provide a separate warranty for the battery or is it part of the car's warranty?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
Many people have reported battery dying within 2 years of purchase. If I am not wrong, Toyota gives only 12 months warranty on battery.
Thanks for the replies. Car couldn’t start on the next morning as well. Bought a new Exide Red 45Ah battery for 6100, 66 months warranty.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 00:47   #362
BHPian

My father is in the market for a sedan between 9 - 11l. He owned a Vento base model before and now drives a Brio which he is tired of. He was considering City 4th gen as 5th base model is a bit of a stretch in terms of budget. Unfortunately, Honda has given extremely disappointing response for the 4th generation. I have contacted 5 dealerships across states (MH and GJ) and am also in touch with them over Twitter and email but nobody is committing on the delivery date for the 4th generation hence we want to avoid it. Rapid is another option however the Vento history removes the novelty factor.

Came across Yaris J and G Optional and was wondering if it would be a good buy for long term (8 - 10 years). I am scared of Toyota Yaris as nobody I know owns it but at the same time every 3rd sedan where i stay is a Honda City. Yaris definitely gives me some uniqueness and is a good looking sedan.

Verna and Ciaz do not make the cut as we are tired of Suzuki and Hyundai.

He needs 3 things

1. Hassle free Ownership and experience for the time frame.
2. Decent power for 2 people and a full loaded trunk (they travel heavy) on a highway. He misses the Vento Diesel Torque and i know a Petrol engine will never quench that need however he complains that driving a fully loaded Brio especially in a bumper to bumper scenario on a fly over(upslope) in highway requires effort.
3. A car that mom likes

Please let me know if we should place our bet on Toyota especially considering that Yaris may go out of market considering lower sales number. Not getting parts etc would mean he would never trust his son again with his choices.

Please don't let me down
Old 27th January 2021, 08:51   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhatt View Post
Came across Yaris J and G Optional and was wondering if it would be a good buy for long term (8 - 10 years). I am scared of Toyota Yaris as nobody I know owns it but at the same time every 3rd sedan where i stay is a Honda City. Yaris definitely gives me some uniqueness and is a good looking sedan
Yaris is a boring car. Boring for the fact that it will neither give you the fun of driving nor trouble you for a decade of ownership. Toyota must have bought this keeping customers like your father in perspective. From your post, I can make a calculative guess that no other Sedan than Yaris would keep your Father content and stress-free.

Coming to power, it is neither as bad as you are thinking nor anywhere as good as the VW diesel engines. But for 2 + luggage it is a good sedan.
If you are not hell bent on sedans then look for the Urban Cruiser. I know it's a Maruti however it's the better ones from them. Moreover, Toyota service will be a different experience.

Yaris being a flop car, there are many almost new ones (top end) available in the pre owned market. You may get almost like a 15-25K KMs driven Yaris top of the line at approximately 60% of the list price.

Last edited by VWAllstar : 27th January 2021 at 08:53.
VWAllstar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 18:27   #364

I have a Yaris CVT - bought recently. I evaluated every sedan / pseudo SUV / SUV petrol / diesel / CVT / DSG combination out there. I was inches away from a Marazzo as I had certain requirements and loved the comfort and roominess of the van - I didn't get much support to pull the trigger

I never thought I'd replace my 10 year old Figo TDCI with a sedan - but there you have it - once you drive a sedan you begin to appreciate its qualities. The Yaris was the last car I tested and it fit my needs very well. The CVT is a joy to use.

+ves:
1. Easy to use CVT and fairly responsive as compared to other sedan/ pseudo SUV CVTs which I tested
2. Decent mileage ( I touched 21kmpl on the highway without A/C)
3. Big boot
4. Silent
5. Nice suspension setup - not a corner carver but doesn't feel like a boat either
6. Didn't find it underpowered at all (I keep 80-100kmph on the highways) and as the official review says - one rarely needs to go beyond 2000rpm in the city or on the highway.
7. Alloys are nice
8. Does have hill hold , though my version does not. Climbing Sanghinagar temple uphill road in Hyderabad with 5 adults along with stop start at the checkpost, traffic was no sweat while others kept the half clutch technique going.
9. Doors close with a thud but not close to the old Figo's heavy gauge feel.
10. 10000km / 1 year standard service by Toyota

-ves:
1. Paint quality is average (compared with VW / Skoda / older Ford) - mine's a red one , nothing is hidden and small flints / wash swirls leave their mark
2. Rear head space is adequate if < 5'10" else its going to be a squeeze and a bend - quirky design with roof mounted a/c vents (again adequate)
3. Tire size could have been 1 size up
4. Official accessories are a rip off
5. Not a negative but CVTs have to be driven in a certain manner and don't respond instantly to heavy inputs.

I was all gung-ho about picking a true SUV but balked at the features - price comparison plus my requirements changed - didn't really need a diesel anymore. Over-all a very under-rated car. I think the CVT drives better than the manual and for the price it offers the right amount of features (low on bling though). If considering a sedan , please do evaluate it objectively. "The mind follows the heart" as a saying goes. "Open the mind , open the heart" as another saying goes.

Last edited by josha10 : 3rd February 2021 at 18:52.
josha10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 20:07   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josha10 View Post
I have a Yaris CVT - bought recently.
Congratulations and welcome to the Yaris Family. BTW, which variant did you buy?
Simhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 20:38   #366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
Congratulations and welcome to the Yaris Family. BTW, which variant did you buy?
Thank you Simhi, mine's a G Opt CVT (without the hill hold and VSC).
josha10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 19:24   #367
Senior - BHPian

The maps that came with the car are horribly outdated now. Is there any way to update the maps? Asking for BS4 2019 VX AT edition.
Old 21st February 2021, 20:21   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
The maps that came with the car are horribly outdated now. Is there any way to update the maps? Asking for BS4 2019 VX AT edition.
Best option is Apple CarPlay or Android Auto if at all Yaris provides that option (I am not sure). Always up to date without relying on stock maps of the car head unit.

Last edited by sam264_2000 : 21st February 2021 at 20:21. Reason: Added additional comments
Old 21st February 2021, 21:08   #369
BHPian

Quote:
I think the maps provided are from MapMyIndia. I am not sure if the updates are subscription based after being free for first few years. Did you check with the dealer about updates? BTW, I always found Google maps to be more reliable and useful.
Old 2nd March 2021, 16:48   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I called Toyota. Map update is not possible. Even Miracast is increasingly unsupported in recent android phones. So mostly the head unit is a glorified dumb unit with bluetooth only.
Old 5th March 2021, 07:29   #371
BHPian

Toyota India despatches 657 Yaris in Feb'21. This is the highest number in the last 12 months. It was 542 in Feb'20.

Source: https://www.autopunditz.com/post/38-...ebadged-models
Simhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 12:19   #372
BHPian

Hi,
I am looking at a Toyota certified 2018 Yaris VX CVT with 32k on the odo in Chennai. The asking price is 10.5 lakhs. I would like to know fellow members' opinion on Toyota U Trust's statement that "Vehicles are checked inside out for technical quality & aesthetical aspect" given they are offering 2yrs/30k km warranty? Do you think a vehicle whose front bumper, grill and headlights were replaced can be called "accident free vehicle"? The dealer has come down to 9.9 lakhs and not willing to negotiate further.

Last edited by k_kumar : 8th March 2021 at 12:42. Reason: adding missing info and using boldface
Old 8th March 2021, 12:26   #373
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_kumar View Post
Hi,
I am looking at a Toyota certified 2018 Yaris VX CVT with 32k on the odo in Chennai. The asking price is 10.5 lakhs. I would like to know fellow members' opinion on Toyota U Trust's statement that "Vehicles are checked inside out for technical quality & aesthetical aspect" given they are offering 2yrs/30k km warranty? Do you think a vehicle whose front bumper and grill were replaced can be called "accident free vehicle"? The dealer has come down to 9.9 lakhs and not willing to negotiate further.
Statements are just those : statements. Please follow the team bhp guide to inspecting a pre-owned car, regardless of the dealer.
Also a 2018 model may still be in manufacturers warranty, which you could extend for another 2 years.

As for accident: generally small incidents do happen, and as long as it wasn't major, there should be no issue.
Just grill & bumper indicates something small, especially as headlights & mechanicals weren't changed as well.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 12:40   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Statements are just those : statements. Please follow the team bhp guide to inspecting a pre-owned car, regardless of the dealer.
Also a 2018 model may still be in manufacturers warranty, which you could extend for another 2 years.

As for accident: generally small incidents do happen, and as long as it wasn't major, there should be no issue.
Just grill & bumper indicates something small, especially as headlights & mechanicals weren't changed as well.
Thanks lamborghini. I have just edited my post since I missed to mention that the headlights had been changed too (insurance is claim free).

I agree with you that those are statements only but in this instance I'm trying to see it in light of 2 years Toyota warranty. I too agree that bumper and grill damages/replacements are mostly cosmetic only. But again, I have asked this here for clarification since certified Toyotas are supposed to be accident free only.
Old 8th March 2021, 17:07   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_kumar View Post
Do you think a vehicle whose front bumper, grill and headlights were replaced can be called "accident free vehicle"?
Merely the bumper and grill and headlights being changed may not cause issues, but it indicates a frontal collision. So it woh make sense to check for any other damage to the structural members in the engine bay. Get the front thoroughly inspected, paying attention to smaller things like - are both the headlights physically aligned, in terms of their placement etc.

2 years 30k warranty is I think good if it includes all the critical parts. Long enough to expose any other problems the car might have.
honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks