Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2019, 15:00   #346
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Harrier : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihrishi View Post
Am in the same boat. I have been trying to get a test drive of the manual Harrier for 3 weeks now with National Auto, Hadapsar Pune.
Do you know the name of the gentleman you are dealing with at NAW? PM me please and I'll connect with you with someone who can do a better job.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 15:14   #347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Do you know the name of the gentleman you are dealing with at NAW? PM me please and I'll connect with you with someone who can do a better job.
Thank you so much!
Unfortunately I don't. There is a different person on the call every time I call the number on Google.
This one: 086050 16001
Old 12th August 2019, 15:21   #348
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much!
Unfortunately I don't. There is a different person on the call every time I call the number on Google.
This one: 086050 16001
Alright. I have PM-d you the contact details for a sales lead there. Get in touch with him. He is clear in communication and whatever else - he won't keep you in dark. If the vehicle is available, he'll ensure it reaches you for a TD ASAP. First hand experience.
Reinhard is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 18:59   #349
BHPian

Hi All,
We are in a bit of catch-22 situation with a Tata Harrier that my brother is looking to buy. We basically booked a White color Harrier Top model on May 6 and paid 75% approx. of the total invoice value on May 28 under the impression that we will be able to take delivery by June middle. We were told that the 75% payment will help expedite the delivery for us. We were also promised that 9% interest rate will be paid in case the delivery is delayed.

After making the bulk of the payment, the tata dealer informed us that Harrier has a huge booking backlog. There were different excuses made during each call to the dealer and the delivery just got pushed. We also reached out to Tata territory manager and other senior dealership folks to see how the matter could be resolved. The story was fairly consistent across all these folks.

As of August 10, we have been informed that a new batch of Harriers have reached the dealership. However we checked the VIN and found that the date of Manufacture is April 2019. So now we are in a conundrum if we should accept this Harrier or not.

We are concerned if we will miss out on certain feature updates/tweaks which have been made in last 3 months for Harrier. One keeps hearing about how the early batch of Harriers had a number of Niggles and these were rectified in the later versions. The family uses a number of other cars and usually we have always been able to get a current month or a previous month vehicle. Is it really true that Harriers have not been manufactured from May onwards?

Any advice on this from senior BHPians would be really helpful. I am cross posting this from the Buying a new car with older manufactured date thread since the question is about Harrier.

Thanks in advance.
vishnurp99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 20:42   #350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post

As of August 10, we have been informed that a new batch of Harriers have reached the dealership. However we checked the VIN and found that the date of Manufacture is April 2019. So now we are in a conundrum if we should accept this Harrier or not.
Fast selling cars with long waiting period rarely come with a VIN over 3 months old. I smell something fishy. Dealer might be trying to pull a fast one on you. Be careful.

Did you see multiple cars with April VIN? Wondering what TATA was doing with these cars. You can also cross check with dates on the tires which should be few weeks before the VIN.
rajshenoy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 21:51   #351
BHPian

Quote:
....We were told that the 75% payment will help expedite the delivery for us. We were also promised that 9% interest rate will be paid in case the delivery is delayed.

===============

Any advice on this from senior BHPians would be really helpful. I am cross posting this from the Buying a new car with older manufactured date thread since the question is about Harrier....
Mate not sure why you paid 75% of the total value. When I bought my last car I okayed the car only after getting the VIN and doing a PDI. I was getting a very good discount on a 3 month old car which was in their stockyard. I checked everything possible including starting the car. Drove on 1st gear for about 20 meters and then reversed as well to make sure gear slotting was fine. They didn't allow me to drive any further though.

The loan amount was disbursed though only after I accepted the car post PDI.

On the D-Day I went to the showroom and only after I saw the car being readied for delivery, went to the bank to take out cash. That being a Saturday the showroom guys actually took me the nearest ICICI where they knew the officials so that I could take out cash without any issues.

All I had paid prior to that was 5 K booking amount, 11 K insurance and 80 K odd for registration once they sent me the documents.

Now you are in a situation where you can't walk away from the deal easily. Dealer pulled a fast one on you and knowing the downturn in automobile industry you should have been a little careful. Anyway be assertive and do not accept anything which isn't fair. No issues with a 3-4 month old car unless you find any glaring issues. But there have been fixes to issues for which Tata even notified all customers. So would be difficult to figure out whether the car being offered to you comes with the fixes.

Best of luck on your purchase and make sure you get what you want. You have already waited and waiting a little more wont hurt rather than hurrying now a feeling bitter through the rest of your ownership.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 14th August 2019 at 08:24. Reason: trimmed quoted post
nibedk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 22:46   #352
BHPian

Quote:

Any advice on this from senior BHPians would be really helpful. I am cross posting this from the Buying a new car with older manufactured date thread since the question is about Harrier.

Thanks in advance.
Given the niggles, minor and major, that TATA has sorted out in the Harrier, i would ask you to not even consider taking delivery. You have a strong case for yourself: having trusted the dealer you paid bulk of the amount. Least he can do is offer you a july model. Since delay has been from the dealer side, you do not have to compromise. Why deliver a car that's a month older than the date when you paid for it, almost 4 months later? Makes no sense and am guessing it might turn out to be a lemon.
You can as well pull out your money and take your business elsewhere to another dealer. But do not go in for the April one. Not all things can be covered in a PDI no matter how detailed it is. Like for example issues in software (though it can be rectified, it surely will effect your initial ownership experience).
abhi7013 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 22:50   #353
BHPian

A friend of mine purchased a Harrier XM variant a couple of months back from Malayalam TATA, Ernakulam, and he has been facing a constant stream of issues with his brand new car. The car has been in and out of the service centre and most of the issues are still unresolved. The niggles are so bad that he's prepared to sell off the vehicle even if it means taking a huge financial hit.

1. AC knob issue:

The AC temperature knob has become stuck and is not turning all the way.

On reporting the issue, the guys at the service centre are clueless. They inform my friend that it is some issue with the electrical connections and they need to dis assemble the entire module to find out the cause. Even after working on it for over 2 weeks, they are unable to fix it. They tell him to take the car back and they will fix it as and when they figure out the issue.

2. Clutch issue

The clutch pedal does not completely come back to its original position. Seems there is some issue with the spring mechanism. Once while traveling, on his wedding day nonetheless, seems the clutch was partially engaged (or disengaged?) and there was significant clutch burn, complete with smoke and smell. When the issue was reported, he was informed that this is a known issue and they are replacing the spring mechanism for some of the customers. From what I understand, there has been a recall but his vehicle was not among it.

3. Rust issues

Rust is developing at places inside the engine bay. See the images below:

Tata Harrier : Official Review-img20190813wa0008.jpg

Rust/ paint discoloration is also observed at other body panels:

Tata Harrier : Official Review-img20190813wa0006.jpg

Tata Harrier : Official Review-img20190813wa0007.jpg

4. Rear lights:

Fog/mist has formed inside the rear brake light assembly. Point to note: the vehicle has not been subjected to extreme weather or such conditions.

5. Central locking issue:

One of the door locks was jammed and could not be opened centrally. ASS informed him that this is a software issue and will be sorted after a software upgrade.

He has shot off mails to multiple people at Tata motors, yet his issues have neither been addressed nor resolved.

Quote:
Hai xxxxxx,

Good Afternoon.

One of my friend gave your details to raise a complaint about my new TATA car.

I am from kerala.Not specifying all my details,if you need i will proved later because that hurts some other people(dealer and service center).

Two month back I brought a new TATA Harrier XM varient just before my marriage. It is about 17 Lakhs for this car. I am not rich. Almost full amount is loan.
Due to the complaints I am mentally getting hurt and feel like why I am spending all my salary for this complaint product.

At the time of delivery itself we found some issues in the car and we informed the car dealer.They told service their service center will repair this errors.
But till now the issues is not resolved. I am listing all complaints one by one.

1. AC rotating Knobe not working.-TATA provided a low quality knobe for this car. But Tiago has better knobe comparing to this which surprise us.
This knobe is not rotating in my car. seems like it is jammed. Still now they can't able to clear this issue. one week they check. they remove and fit all parts back.
Then also it is not working.If some how they find the solution, we have doubt the quality of the repair. How long it will work? Does anyone guarantee this work.
Why i need to suffer because of TATA fault.

2. On the marriage day, vehicle clutch burned while travelling and smoke came out of the vehicle.It was in the middle of huge crowd. Everyone enquired the issue.
We too don't know the issue. They all laughed? Because I am fool enough to buy a TATA car for this huge price.?
When we went to service center they told clutch spring need to be update. They informed most of the customer, but not me.
Who will pay the price of this burned Clutch plate?:(. They replaced the spring. Now the clutch is little bit tight too. huge force we need to apply:(

3. Now we observe rust inside the bonnet of that new vehicle. How it is happened for a new vehicle. There is no water contact. Then also rusted.
Then what may be the case of water contacting area?

4.Paint of the car in one area is unfinished. In backside one area is yellowish white. I dont know what happened to that area. Is that all product like that?
Surprised to see a machine painted vehicle like that. Who will repaint it again?

5. Fog or small water vapour found inside the back break light. Enough though they repaired this, but how long it will continue like this. Is it work like a new machine
assembled light?

6. In the test drive vehicle, the gear is not that much tight . But in my vehicle it is very much tight?

7. one day the center lock get jammed. unable to open 1 door. The service center people told this is a regular issue. They reflashed the program, now it is ok.
but i am thinking, if it is a regular issue then how can i believe in my car. I think I want to spend most of the time in service center to rectify this issues.

8. Sound system has some problem occuered. TATA team came to study my vehicle. After that they rectified this.

It shows QA passed in front glass. But how it is passed with this visible complaints(paint, knobe).

In short I brought a vehicle two month back and after that most of the time vehicle is in service center. They studying, training how to work on a TATA harrier.
I brought this car after a big study in internet like Team BHP. But no one came across this type of issues. While my car booking time , i told good review to my nephew and
he brought a XZ variant. He has no complaint. That's surprised me.
To be frank, now I lost confidence and Trust in TATA product . I will not suggest anyone this car.
Day by day this car becoming a burden to me. because I need to spend a lot of time in service center. I am in the verge of huge mental depression. I lost
confident in this car. Now I am thinking to sell to my vendor itself? How I can maintain this complaint car,through out my life?

Please replace this vehicle or give our money back. Its very difficult to use this vehicle, which has this many issues already found in the initial days..

Please help me if you can.

Yours faithfully
Guys, have you heard of any of these issues? Also can you provide email ids/ contact details of some higher ups at Tata motors? He is seriously upset after spending close to 17 big ones on a car which has been giving him headaches from day 1. The guys at the service centre are least helpful and their usual reply is that all these issues are common with the Harrier. He is now considering approaching the consumer court.

Last edited by SDP : 14th August 2019 at 09:55. Reason: As requested
GeneralJazz is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 07:44   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Guys, have you heard of any of these issues? Also can you provide email ids/ contact details of some higher ups at Tata motors? He is seriously upset after spending close to 17 big ones on a car which has been giving him headaches from day 1. The guys at the service centre are least helpful and their usual reply is that all these issues are common with the Harrier. He is now considering approaching the consumer court.
I own a Harrier XZ variant (April make delivered in May) and I have not come across any such issues in my car. The software was updated (twice with two new versions) and the clutch spring was replaced in June while doing the first service. Well, I never had any 'clutch getting stuck' issue ever but they anyway replaced the spring. I suggest you please ask your friend to contact Mr. Eldho George at Malayalam Tata. He was quite professional and knowledgeable while dealing with my car.
Cruzerman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 09:30   #355
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
The guys at the service centre are least helpful and their usual reply is that all these issues are common with the Harrier. He is now considering approaching the consumer court.
If your friend feels he has been given a lemon & is so frustrated - I think approaching the consumer court indeed is the right thing to do. It will give him the 1st glimpse of peace also since right now he'll be feeling quite helpless not being able to do much. Once he files a complaint at least he has the satisfaction to have returned a blow to set things rolling.

Such rust is certainly not expected. The one in engine bay is "okay" - seems quite superficial & might just get wiped away with WD40. The other one (I'm not able to recognize the body part in the picture.) Seems to have a metal surface bit chipped up. Thats surprising. Have you seen these in person?
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 10:02   #356
Senior - BHPian

Agree with the previous post. Consumer court is the way to go. The customer in this scenario deserves a compensation for the heart break this purchase has caused him.

Buried in the forum somewhere is late Bhpian Steeroid's Tata Safari purchase tale during the 2005 dicor launch time where he mentions pre production unit umpteen number of times. 6 years later Aria gets launched with the same ownership experience for initial owners. 14 years later, Harrier gets launched giving the same ownership experience to the initial customers. Where exactly have the improved in the last 14 years ?

Last edited by padmrajravi : 14th August 2019 at 10:05.
padmrajravi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 14:48   #357
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,
We are in a bit of catch-22 situation with a Tata Harrier that my brother is looking to buy. We basically booked a White color Harrier Top model on May 6 and paid 75% approx. of the total invoice value on May 28 under the impression that we will be able to take delivery by June middle. We were told that the 75% payment will help expedite the delivery for us. We were also promised that 9% interest rate will be paid in case the delivery is delayed.

After making the bulk of the payment, the tata dealer informed us that Harrier has a huge booking backlog. There were different excuses made during each call to the dealer and the delivery just got pushed. We also reached out to Tata territory manager and other senior dealership folks to see how the matter could be resolved. The story was fairly consistent across all these folks.

We are concerned if we will miss out on certain feature updates/tweaks which have been made in last 3 months for Harrier. One keeps hearing about how the early batch of Harriers had a number of Niggles and these were rectified in the later versions. The family uses a number of other cars and usually we have always been able to get a current month or a previous month vehicle. Is it really true that Harriers have not been manufactured from May onwards?
Something is definitely fishy here. There is no way that Tata is transporting cars from their plant 4 months later. But at the same time, Tata was advertising 10,000 owners in the month that they crossed 10,000 dispatches. So dealers were not sitting on much Harrier inventory since there was a good demand for the product. See my post from a few weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I was just looking at the Tata Harrier website and Tata is advertising the fact that they have delivered over 10,000 Harriers so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
A quick glance over at our June dispatches thread and summing up the dispatches so far brings the total to 9,433 units. So by adding up the figures for July dispatches (say 1,500 units) and subtracting test drive vehicles, we should have over 10,000 owners in just 7 months of dispatches. I cant help but think that if only Tata had given us a better finished product on day 1, they would have been doing such numbers in 2-3 months like with the Nexon.
Things just dont add up. If I were you, I would cancel my booking and collect the 75% amount back for now until things are more transparent with the dealership and you are assured of a newer and most likely updated, Harrier.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 01:18   #358
Vmv
BHPian

While the Harrier review pages are getting hot , I would like to share a pic which again shows that Harrier is Capable and a stunning looker. Need a proper 4 wheel drive anyway!

I was thinking that Tata will solve the niggles immediately but but as GTO said it's good that we wait till 2020 or 2021.

Picture Source FB Page Tata Motors.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Harrier : Official Review-capture_201908132330471.png  

Vmv is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th August 2019, 20:05   #359
Senior - BHPian

Was shared on my feed today. Since there was no information about the accident, decided to share it here instead of the "Accidents" thread. Looks like the Harrier will do well in the GNCAP ratings too.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Harrier : Official Review-screenshot_201908172000102.png  

discoverwild is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th August 2019, 23:11   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Am in the same boat. I have been trying to get a test drive of the manual Harrier for 3 weeks now with National Auto, Hadapsar Pune.
Every time I have been given a different excuse like vehicle is out for service, out for an event, not available for one reason or other.
Consistently I am told that they will get back to me and schedule an appointment, but guess what, it has not happened.

While my heart is 99.99% sold on the Harrier Automatic but I would love some attention

Only decision that needs to be made is based on how they price the Harrier v/s the Cassini
It's the same case with Bafna automobiles on law college road. They didn't even have a hexa on display in the showroom. I still haven't seen a single dual color hexa on the road and hence I asked the rep if they could arrange for me to see the color option (blue with grey roof) at their yard or an existing customer and I got a blunt no as an answer. I don't think they realize that the hexa is worth 22lakhs. The excuse I got was that even cars like the Fortuner/Tiguan/compass are not available for color preview at the dealership. When I mentioned that there are enough on those on the road for me to figure I just got a shrug from him.
The all black Harrier looks sweet but I'm sure the sales experience will kill whatever excitement that has built up. A black Auto Harrier is all I want. Hopefully by Diwali Tata will get out of their slumber.
yd_gli is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks