Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2019, 22:48   #121
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Chennai
Posts: 39
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm_delhi View Post
Thanks for confirming

Has anyone upgraded the stock system that comes in the V variant. It is very basic with no touch capabilities, just Bluetooth works fine and looks wise, dates back almost 10 years.
I did. It is an Alpine unit. Doesnt have wireless apple carplay. Average features and lousy on bluetooth. My iphone XR pairs sporadically and the connection gets lost very often. I bought it only because the stock unit is sad looking - but in hindsight, sticking to the stock unit may have made sense. Honda is clueless and is refering me to Alpine ! . In addition i also installed the front parking sensor, foot well lights and door sill lights. The front sensor has a non functional on/off switch- ie the sensor gets activated by any proximal object and is quite irritating in our traffic conditions. The foot well light does not turn off after driving away- a little annoying to the rear passengers in the night.

I also noticed scratches on the inner side of the plastic/glass cover of the instrument clusters. the outer surface that faces the driver is smooth to touch, but scoring lines are apparent. Have escalated it on Honda 121. await their response.
asterix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2019, 22:25   #122
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Noida
Posts: 22
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm_delhi View Post
Thanks for confirming

Has anyone upgraded the stock system that comes in the V variant. It is very basic with no touch capabilities, just Bluetooth works fine and looks wise, dates back almost 10 years.

I was quoted 50k for Digipad 2.0 by honda which to me seems an over expensive proposition. It does have the apple car play and android auto, but not sure of any additional features. Display seemed pretty average on the Amaze variant.

I was informed that going forward, this will be the stock system in upcoming Honda City as well. Not sure how true this is.
You can also checkout this Tesla type Screen headunit. Appears to be good, but reliability and how it will affect the warranty is unknown.


Last edited by ajmat : 12th January 2020 at 12:18. Reason: typo
PB10rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 10:00   #123
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 11
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB10rider View Post
You can also checkout this Tesla type Screen headunit. Appears to be good, but reliability and how it 'll effect the warranty is unknown.
Thanks PB10rider, I had seen this option and am still considering it. The major concern I have with it is that the A/C console gets replaced by 'touch' which I am personally not a big fan of. I use Honda city wherein the A/C console buttons are feather touch, and it is not convenient to use. It does take away a fair bit of your concentration from the road when you have to change something.

Also why do you say that the impact on warranty needs to be seen? My understanding is that as long as no wires are slashed or cut, the warranty holds good. Am I missing something?

I have doing some research around the available options, and still not reached any conclusions. Here are the options available:

Option 1: Get Digipad 2.0 from Honda
Pros: ease of mind, no warranty issues, get basic Android auto/Apple car play features
Cons: Not seen much positive reviews and the feedback from Asterix in the earlier post is not encouraging as he is already facing some problems. Also the cost is steep at 50K.

Option 2: Android HU sourced locally. Basically all these units are Chinese and some companies locally are just rebranding them. I am talking to Hypersonic, Woodman, Clotoy, Mega Audio (honda official after market audio system suppliers) and Foxfire. My requirements are good sound quality (so looking for a DSP chip in the configuration), the original camera should work and the steering wheel controls as well. Good to have if it comes with canbus so that some basic car information can be seen in the HU.
Pros: you get a full android system, most apps from play store should work. I plan to buy a Bluetooth OBD2 and TPMS which should easily integrate with the HU giving overall connectivity across these different accessories. This would be cost efficient around 20k (including the OBD2 and TPMS). Also look wise, these look best as they come with the exact OEM console, so they fit perfectly and doesn't look after market.
Cons: the local vendors don't seem to know what is inside the HU, and hence can't be too sure of the sound quality. Plus they don't know if the rear camera will work or not. Some say it will, some say it won't but no clarity. Long term reliability/support is unknown and also how it impacts honda warranty.

Note that I am still talking to these guys and am awaiting response on some of these questions, will update once i get the complete details.

Option 3: Android HU sourced from China (via AliExpress or Bangood)
Pros: They mention the configuration clearly, hence you know what hardware you are buying. For some brands, there are reviews available on YouTube. Seems to be from US market but Honda civic is mostly same here so everything should work. Mostly they ship with a Canbus and hence the data from the car should also sync up on the HU.
Cons: forget warranty support (as you need to pay for shipping plus the turnaround time). Too many unknowns around reliability, shipping, customs etc. Plus this option would be slightly expensive at around 30K with much higher risk due the the uncertainty.

Option 4: Sony XAV-3000 or XAV-5000
Pros: branded option, hence I consider good warranty support and long term reliability. Sound quality should be the best out of these 4 options (my assumption). Cost wise should be around 25k mark.
Cons: no direct couplers are available, will look after market as they will have to be fitted using some frame. Features I get is Touch screen, Android auto and Apple car play.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 16th December 2019 at 10:39. Reason: Removed video embed from quoted post.
anm_delhi is online now  
Old 16th December 2019, 10:32   #124
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Noida
Posts: 22
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm_delhi View Post
Thanks PB10rider, I had seen this option and am still considering it. The major concern I have with it is that the A/C console gets replaced by 'touch' which I am personally not a big fan of. I use Honda city wherein the A/C console buttons are feather touch, and it is not convenient to use. It does take away a fair bit of your concentration from the road when you have to change something.

I have doing some research around the available options, and still not reached any conclusions. Here are the options available:
You have done a good research for ICE.

Warranty issue was highlighted by service personnel at Honda when I expresses my desire for fitting the tesla screen type HU. He said that warranty might be denied. He quoted an example of someone who fitted such HU is WRV and his warranty was not honoured.

I personally wont take risk with warranty and might opt for Digipad2 only.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 16th December 2019 at 10:40. Reason: Trimmed post quote for better readability.
PB10rider is offline  
Old 25th December 2019, 16:25   #125
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 11
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB10rider View Post
Warranty issue was highlighted by service personnel at Honda when I expresses my desire for fitting the tesla screen type HU. He said that warranty might be denied. He quoted an example of someone who fitted such HU is WRV and his warranty was not honoured.
Thanks, I have my 1 month service coming up, so I will ask my dealer on how warranty works in this scenario.

I have been doing some more research and have found out few more useful things. Most of this research is for the Civic V variant.

Cruise Control - I was wondering that most of the variants of Civic sold globally come with this feature, and I can also see 'Cruise Control' in my instrument cluster (however it doesn't light up when I turn on the ignition). So I was thinking that maybe it's just the case of missing buttons on the steering wheel. And here is what I found (it's Thai website) -

https://www.thaicar-accessories.com/...onda-civic-fc/

My question is that would be so simple to add cruise control on the V variant?
anm_delhi is online now  
Old 4th January 2020, 05:34   #126
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 31
Thanked: 37 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Official Review

The VX (and V) variants come with hankook ventus s1 noble2 tyres. Does anyone have experience with these tyres? How would they compare with michelins?
kauphylover is offline  
Old 4th January 2020, 16:47   #127
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 11
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauphylover View Post
The VX (and V) variants come with hankook ventus s1 noble2 tyres. Does anyone have experience with these tyres? How would they compare with michelins?
Yes, both these variants come with Hankooks. I have driven less than 1000km, so can't really comment on the long-term reliability yet.

Grip seems to be nice, braking is also very accurate. Although I feel a bit of noise at higher speeds upwards of 100kmph.

I was initially planning to upgrading them to Michelins based on so many positive feedback on various forums. So I think they are definitely better. However when I visited couple of Tyre shops, they were surprised why I want to change Hankooks, as per their view, Hankooks are equally good. But I trust Team-BHP more

Finally, I stuck to the stock Hankooks.

Some initial feedback regarding Civic's CVT, I have driven it for around 1000km now, my usage is City commute mostly (Delhi) and the highway usage has been mostly on NH-24 for around 20kms per trip while going to Noida. Some points around the CVT gearbox:

- Don't compare with DSG, it's like apples to oranges comparison
- In city driving conditions, it's as good as it gets. I have never felt any lack of power to overtake, in fact, a gentle press on the accelerator does it. Mind that in city conditions, you are overtaking at speeds of 40-60 kmph.
- You generally will not even feel or notice the gear change, both upshift or downshift.
- On highways, it's quite easy and quick to touch 100kmph, you will be surprised by the ease it hits this mark. In fact till 115kmph, I did not have to revv the engine hard.
- Beyond 120kmph is where I have felt the need to push hard, and the engine/gearbox takes 1-2 seconds to understand my need, but it eventually does start to deliver.
- Overtaking on Highways is something I will wait for some more time to comment upon, so far I have not encountered a situation where I need to use manual shifters to drop a gear.
- Mileage so far has been constantly improving, started out single digit but currently is 10.5 kmpl with around 1000kms done. Probably the connection between my foot and the accelerator is continuing to improve

Last edited by Zappo : 4th January 2020 at 17:17. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please put everything together in one post.
anm_delhi is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th January 2020, 20:12   #128
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Noida
Posts: 22
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm_delhi View Post
Some initial feedback regarding Civic's CVT, I have driven it for around 1000km now, my usage is City commute mostly (Delhi) and the highway usage has been mostly on NH-24 for around 20kms per trip while going to Noida. Some points around the CVT gearbox:

- Don't compare with DSG, it's like apples to oranges comparison
- In city driving conditions, it's as good as it gets. I have never felt any lack of power to overtake, in fact, a gentle press on the accelerator does it. Mind that in city conditions, you are overtaking at speeds of 40-60 kmph.
- You generally will not even feel or notice the gear change, both upshift or downshift.
- On highways, it's quite easy and quick to touch 100kmph, you will be surprised by the ease it hits this mark. In fact till 115kmph, I did not have to revv the engine hard.
- Beyond 120kmph is where I have felt the need to push hard, and the engine/gearbox takes 1-2 seconds to understand my need, but it eventually does start to deliver.
- Overtaking on Highways is something I will wait for some more time to comment upon, so far I have not encountered a situation where I need to use manual shifters to drop a gear.
- Mileage so far has been constantly improving, started out single digit but currently is 10.5 kmpl with around 1000kms done. Probably the connection between my foot and the accelerator is continuing to improve
Your feedback is pretty similar to my observations about my ride.

To my surprise, my V-CVT has been returning an average of 12+ kmpl from the very first tank full of petrol. The first time it was 480 for 39.7 litres and after 2 months and 5000 on odo, it is now 510+ for same 39-40 litres. All these figures are purely from city driving. I am at peace with these numbers, as my monthly run will be upwards 2500km.

On highways I have driven it to Jaipur/Chandigarh/Ludhiana and the car is amazing to drive on high speeds. My earlier ride was a Punto, which i could drive on even 140 km/h with complete confidence and control. And i have driven cars like Corolla/City/Polo on highways, but they never gave me the confidence to pull them beyond 110km/h. But with my Civic I get the same confidence like Punto, even at 130-140 km/h. Be it handling or breaking, I get complete and to the point feedback.

I believe the new Civic retains the same 'Sporty' DNA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauphylover View Post
The VX (and V) variants come with hankook ventus s1 noble2 tyres. Does anyone have experience with these tyres? How would they compare with michelins?
The tyres are good. You can count them as bit noisy as compared to Michelins, but grip/breaking/ride quality is superb.

Last edited by navin : 6th January 2020 at 13:43.
PB10rider is offline  
Old 5th January 2020, 23:59   #129
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 11
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB10rider View Post
To my surprise, my V-CVT has been returning an average of 12+ kmpl from the very first tank full of petrol.
My Honda City CVT returns around 12.5 kmpl, so what you are getting from your Civic is very impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB10rider View Post
But with my Civic I get the same confidence like Punto, even at 130-140 km/h. Be it handling or breaking, I get complete and to the point feedback.
I believe the new Civic retains the same 'Sporty' DNA.
Yes, I have the same opinion. And due to the low seating, it's quite easy and fun to drive at high speeds. At around 140 km/h, the rpm is still pretty low, so I think it can go much more but not yet tried it.
anm_delhi is online now  
Old 8th January 2020, 21:35   #130
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 31
Thanked: 37 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Official Review

I got my VX CVT today and the inaugural drive included a 20k stretch on the NICE road post-sunset. I have to admit I enjoyed it more than I thought I would! Coming from a 2001 Honda City, I'm not used to the gizmos available on modern-day cars and I suspect I'll take a few days to get accustomed to them.

A couple of newbie questions:
1. There's a red LED on the dashboard that's glowing away to glory - is that normal? A quick search told me that it's a theft protection measure to deter burglars. I don't remember the review talking about it.
2. The traction control button - upon pressing it, I expected to see an indication on the console to toggle. However, I didn't notice it. How do I tell if it is ON/OFF?
3. When the car was in P and I accidentally leaned on it, it moved a tiny bit (maybe an mm or two) which caught me by surprise. I then went in and engaged the EPB and then it was fine - didn't move at all. Is this normal?
4. Is there a downside to having Brake Hold ON all the time?

I will RTFM too (and post answers once I have them) but I wanted to post these here since others might benefit too.

I'll post some pictures soon and an initial ownership report in a month or so.

Last edited by kauphylover : 8th January 2020 at 21:44. Reason: added a 4th question
kauphylover is offline  
Old 9th January 2020, 20:23   #131
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Noida
Posts: 22
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauphylover View Post
I got my VX CVT today and the inaugural drive included a 20k stretch on the NICE road post-sunset. I have to admit I enjoyed it more than I thought I would! Coming from a 2001 Honda City, I'm not used to the gizmos available on modern-day cars and I suspect I'll take a few days to get accustomed to them.

A couple of newbie questions:
1. There's a red LED on the dashboard that's glowing away to glory - is that normal? A quick search told me that it's a theft protection measure to deter burglars. I don't remember the review talking about it.
2. The traction control button - upon pressing it, I expected to see an indication on the console to toggle. However, I didn't notice it. How do I tell if it is ON/OFF?
3. When the car was in P and I accidentally leaned on it, it moved a tiny bit (maybe an mm or two) which caught me by surprise. I then went in and engaged the EPB and then it was fine - didn't move at all. Is this normal?
4. Is there a downside to having Brake Hold ON all the time?

I will RTFM too (and post answers once I have them) but I wanted to post these here since others might benefit too.

I'll post some pictures soon and an initial ownership report in a month or so.
Congrats Buddy for your new Ride!

Hope u r enjoying the smell of the new car!

I ll try to share my experiences on your query numbers 3&4 because V and VX have different speedo/tacho meters and ICE.

3- Yes it does move a bit for my car too. Not sure if it is not meant to behave that way in P mode, but it does move a little. In P mode the rear wheels are free but front wheels are locked and with 'EPB On' all wheels are locked. This might be the reason(just a guess).

4- Keeping the brake engaged in D mode while car is stationary, I feel some energy which was to be used for moving the vehicle is being wasted. So I prefer keeping it in N in such condition. But yes brake hold is a good convenience feature for traffic conditions of Metros.
PB10rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 22:51   #132
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 11
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauphylover View Post
A couple of newbie questions:
1. There's a red LED on the dashboard that's glowing away to glory - is that normal? A quick search told me that it's a theft protection measure to deter burglars. I don't remember the review talking about it.
2. The traction control button - upon pressing it, I expected to see an indication on the console to toggle. However, I didn't notice it. How do I tell if it is ON/OFF?
Congratulations buddy on your new ride, hope you are enjoying it

2. Keep it pressed for a couple of seconds, it should start to toggle and you would see on the console.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB10rider View Post
4- Keeping the brake engaged in D mode while car is stationary, I feel some energy which was to be used for moving the vehicle is being wasted. So I prefer keeping it in N in such condition. But yes brake hold is a good convenience feature for traffic conditions of Metros.
The 'Brake Hold On' is such a useful feature to have. I keep it on most of the times, helps a lot in city traffic conditions. And you might be right that it might cost a bit on the efficiency, I would expect the honda engineers to be smart enough to implement in a way that it does not impact efficiency (but I think you are right)
anm_delhi is online now  
Old 12th January 2020, 10:04   #133
Team-BHP Support
 
SmartCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,791
Thanked: 24,329 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Official Review

Honda Civic Vs Skoda Octavia Vs Hyundai Elantra BS6 facelift

SmartCat is online now  
Old 26th January 2020, 21:52   #134
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Noida
Posts: 22
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterix View Post
I did. It is an Alpine unit. Doesnt have wireless apple carplay. Average features and lousy on bluetooth. My iphone XR pairs sporadically and the connection gets lost very often. I bought it only because the stock unit is sad looking - but in hindsight, sticking to the stock unit may have made sense. Honda is clueless and is refering me to Alpine ! .
Can you please share pictures of the installed Digipad 2.0 in your Civic.

Also did you try connecting an Android phone to it? If yes, does it work fine or issues like Apple exist?
PB10rider is offline  
Old 26th January 2020, 22:30   #135
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Cochin
Posts: 720
Thanked: 1,300 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauphylover View Post
A couple of newbie questions:
1. There's a red LED on the dashboard that's glowing away to glory - is that normal?
Congratulations.

Regarding the first question, thatís the led which shows your central locking and keyless entry system is active. Hope what you are seeing is a red led blinking all the time when the car is stationary and locked. It is the same with most of the cars including Maruti. So donít worry and enjoy the miles.
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks