Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2020, 17:30   #166
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 103
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbhagra View Post

Till date there has been no further response even though I had been amply clear that if Honda assures me in writing that they will rectify the problem I will withdraw the consumer case. But dealership manager tells me Honda wants to get rid of the stock before the problems become public. Local dealership now has non Civic on display or test drive because they don't want any local issues with Shimla being a small city.
Sorry I might have missed reading query about this: Have you ever considered getting it diagnosed from a bigger dealership who are more capable and have better testing resources ? If not, I seriously recommend doing it even if it is far from your reach and ensure that you secretly record their conversations. One more recommendation is to not munch any more miles on it especially if it is under litigation. The more you use, the more they put the blame on you. That's the harsh reality especially when you have customers who have no similar complaints and are happy with the car. I wish you all the luck here.
spoth001 is offline  
Old 24th March 2020, 20:00   #167
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Shimla
Posts: 7
Thanked: 65 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoth001 View Post
Sorry I might have missed reading query about this: Have you ever considered getting it diagnosed from a bigger dealership who are more capable and have better testing resources ?
People from Honda's Delhi team visited and worked on the car when it was with them for 2 months. They were not able to fix it as I spite of changing over 20 random parts the problem is as it is. Besides Courtesy Honda is the biggest dealership in all states nearby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoth001 View Post
One more recommendation is to not munch any more miles on it especially if it is under litigation. The more you use, the more they put the blame on you.
After Honda took over the car last year for 2 months, they sent an email that inspite of the problems, the car is roadworthy and I am ok to drive it. Plus the dealership has clearly taken on record that they have observed the problems and escalated to Honda. I cannot simply keep the car in the garrage rotting away for an year or 2 while I bear the cost of ownership all because of this Honda. Moreover, I can see even on this forum that people are having similar issues and my car is not the only one though the intensity may differ.

Honda Civic : Official Review-screenshot_20200323030909__01.jpg

Last edited by bblost : 24th March 2020 at 22:31. Reason: broken quote tag
skbhagra is offline  
Old 24th March 2020, 21:00   #168
Newbie
 
Jazzwithme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Noida,Hyderabad
Posts: 8
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbhagra View Post
Initially, I too faced little noise (While below 3000km) which gradually has grown to be something that is audible even with music on(Close to 9000km). I eventually got a response form Honda's National customer relations head Mr Parampreet Singh who told me things ranging from "I hear noises because I drive the car in silent conditions" to "The car develops noise only at speeds of 140kmph and above". Funny because they claim to have driven the car at these speeds in Shimla. I have video recordings rattling even at 20kmph that the dealership has sent to Honda and is mentioned on record.
I can imagine the ordeal you are facing. Being a proud owner of Honda jazz for over 10 years now, it really hurts to see where Honda Brand is going with reliability these days.
For my new Civic, I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Very bold move of you to take this up at Consumer Court. Itís time for Honda to treat Customers seriously and stop taking them for a ride. Letís hope that Honda is pushed to the wall to solve your Civicís issue.
Jazzwithme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 01:03   #169
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Shimla
Posts: 7
Thanked: 65 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzwithme View Post
I can imagine the ordeal you are facing. Being a proud owner of Honda jazz for over 10 years now, it really hurts to see where Honda Brand is going with reliability these days.
For my new Civic, I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Very bold move of you to take this up at Consumer Court. Itís time for Honda to treat Customers seriously and stop taking them for a ride. Letís hope that Honda is pushed to the wall to solve your Civicís issue.
I too hope that you do not face any problem as Civic has been an icon and everyone who buys it does so not just because of buying a car but because it meant much more than just a car.

The reason I have shared my ordeal is so that other owners can investigate in time and not go through the harassment that I have been facing since the last 10 months.

The thing that pushed me to reach out to the court was that not once has Honda apologized to me. Instead they have only been trying to make it sound like the roads and my driving habits (since I drive back late at night from work) are to be blamed whereas the fact is that the rattling occurs everywhere within city, highway, expressway etc.

Also, as I am typing this, I saw on my phone in the google news feed https://www.team-bhp.com/news/honda-...g-rattles-cars
but on clicking it I get an error. Has the article been removed?
skbhagra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 13:46   #170
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 31
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Official Review

Quote:
Also, as I am typing this, I saw on my phone in the google news feed https://www.team-bhp.com/news/honda-...g-rattles-cars
but on clicking it I get an error. Has the article been removed?
Yes, seems like that. I too reached this thread through the news topic yesterday and now it has been removed.

Last edited by Dragonheart22 : 25th March 2020 at 13:47.
Dragonheart22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 18:32   #171
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 202
Thanked: 281 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbhagra View Post
I too hope that you do not face any problem as Civic has been an icon and everyone who buys it does so not just because of buying a car but because it meant much more than just a car.

The reason I have shared my ordeal is so that other owners can investigate in time and not go through the harassment that I have been facing since the last 10 months.
Wow thats quite an ordeal that you have been through ! One definitely accepts much better quality than this in a car costing 20L+. As an owner of a Honda Civic for 10 years and the city ZX for 14 years, I have seen their quality really go down considerably over the years.
I was recently in the market recently for a premium sedan and took a test drive on the current City and my family and I were horrified to see how poor the suspension of the current model is, as compared to the old one, plus there was some ratting from dashboard over slightly uneven roads. BTW I also had the first Vtec (not I-vtec) 100 BHP City which was truly an amazing car with excellent fit & finish and a wow kickass engine.
I also took 2 TDs on the new Civic but with Honda still giving the old 1.8L Naturally Aspirated engine with a CVT gearbox, it didn't excite me at all ! I have always felt the engine my old 2009 Civic to be underpowered, especially with the a/c on. Without the a/c it is perfect but the moment you switch it on, it leaves much to be desired.
My head was saying to go with the tried and tested Honda brand, my heart kept saying Octavia 1.8L TSI (I took 2 test drives on this one also). Although Honda was giving amazing mouth watering discounts on the Civic VX in December & January but finally I took a leap of faith and went ahead with the Octavia 1.8L TSI L&K even though I had to stretch my budget considerably for this one.
My current City ZX would need to be replaced in early 2021 and I was seriously contemplating the new, soon to be launched Honda city but your post ( & a couple of others) have seriously dented my confidence in my faithful Honda brand and I will have to view all options before blindly going ahead with Honda again, which I was planning to ! Your post has been an eye-opener and I wish you the very best in your consumer case against the company and I sincerely hope you come out as a winner and teach these arrogant car companies to not take consumers for a ride ! Pun not intended ! Cheers and wish you the very best.
Timothy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 10:26   #172
BHPian
 
d3mon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 691
Thanked: 1,569 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Official Review

Imagine rolling up in your 'sporty' sedan and being beaten by a van. Serves Honda right for peddling a two decade old engine with an ancient CVT in India, when the rest of the world gets thoroughly modern turbo petrols.

d3mon is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 11:32   #173
Senior - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 4,263
Thanked: 5,095 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Imagine rolling up in your 'sporty' sedan and being beaten by a van. Serves Honda right for peddling a two decade old engine with an ancient CVT in India, when the rest of the world gets thoroughly modern turbo petrols.
Eeeks. And to think of all those utterly luscious Civic Type R I saw in Bangkok. German car lovers may snobbishly say 'ricer looks' but the sounds of the Type R high-revving engines were to die for.

Shame on Honda India.

Last edited by itwasntme : 13th May 2020 at 11:34.
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 16:58   #174
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 892
Thanked: 1,498 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Official Review

The Civic is an executive class commuter sedan. The sport variants start from the Si variants which isn't sold here.

The performance deficit to the Innova is based on 3 factors.
1) CVT vs TC.
2) FWD vs RWD (wheelspin)
3) Torquey Diesel vs Peaky petrol not withstanding the cubic capacity disadvantage.
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2020, 19:06   #175
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Shimla
Posts: 7
Thanked: 65 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Wow thats quite an ordeal that you have been through ! not intended !
I was also considering the Octavia but they have no dealership around nd the closest is 130km away so it didn't make sense then. But now considering I have spent much more time at Honda dealership, I believe Skoda would have been a better choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Imagine rolling up in your 'sporty' sedan and being beaten by a van. Serves Honda right for peddling a two decade old engine with an ancient CVT in India, when the rest of the world gets thoroughly modern turbo petrols.
Well can't say anything in defense of the Civic. Mine would pretty much fall apart if I get into a drag race.
skbhagra is offline  
Old 23rd May 2020, 21:28   #176
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 1,348
Thanked: 1,627 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Official Review

What Honda need to get their brand mojo back in India is this :

Name:  civicTypeR.jpeg
Views: 2017
Size:  59.0 KB

If Skoda can bring their RS 245 and peddle it like they did, surely the Type R should be a snitch. It will do the Honda brand a world of good in India because they are rapidly degenerating into the business of packing old wine in not so new bottle and charging absurd premiums for it.

A far cry from the attitude that launched the City in a 1.3L and a 1,5L variant in India at a time when 100 bhp here was like the 1000+ bhp Buggati Veyron at those price points!

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 12:11   #177
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 75
Thanked: 97 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Official Review

I find the amount of bad press the new 2019 Honda Civic gets on this site somewhat unfortunate and does not match with the value and sheer engineering refinement, build quality and long term reliability of this car at this price point.
A car is not just acceleration, but it is a balance and combination of engine power, acceleration, driving dynamics, safety, noise vibration and harshness (NVH) values, long term reliability, looks, fuel efficiency, interior comfort etc., fit and finish, interior cabin material quality and creature comforts, digital tech gadgets etc. (non exhaustive list)
Unlike how this car keeps on getting a near universal bad press on this site, globally, the Honda Civic is the best rated and recommended compact sedan in it's price range consistently year over year among it's peers in this category..

And when that happens, there must be something that Honda has got really right on this vehicle!

For one I just love, I mean love the refinement, driving dynamics, fit and finish, interior quality, engineering, long term reliability, safety in places where it matters for me.

Driving this car is a delight, and I enjoy the driving this car every time I sit behind the driving wheels..

Those of you who are interested in the engineering chops of this car, I have pasted a few links below for you to go through and enjoy!!

https://hondanews.com/en-US/honda-au...s-kit-overview

http://asia.vtec.net/Engines/ivtec/index.html

http://asia.vtec.net/Engines/RiVTEC/index.html

http://asia.vtec.net/Engines/R18A/index.html

http://asia.vtec.net/Engines/DriveMMT/index.html



And before others on this forum jump on me, yes I know CVT is not exciting to drive in terms of sheer pickup, and yes I know Honda did not offer the more exciting 1.5 L turbo charged petrol engine on this Civic..

My point is despite these short comings, for the combination of long term reliability, engineering finesse, driving dynamics, power, acceleration, safety (and the safety is really top notch, 5 star NCAAP), NVH values, fit and finish, interior quality, looks, fuel efficiency and build quality looks I can get at this price point there is simply no comparison to the Civic in India at this time, period!

I would love to hear others view point and perspective
ssenhyd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 12:20   #178
Senior - BHPian
 
arindambasu13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,336
Thanked: 1,700 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssenhyd View Post
I find the amount of bad press the new 2019 Honda Civic gets on this site somewhat unfortunate and does not match with the value and sheer engineering refinement, build quality and long term reliability of this car at this price point.

I would love to hear others view point and perspective
To a large extent, I agree with what you say. There are many more facets to a good car than just top speed and 0-100 timings, or a mega engine. Yes, of course those are important (especially for me, a good engine is the single most important part of the car, and I love a powerful and refined engine as much as the next enthusiast) but there are other aspects that you have mentioned in your post that are instrumental in creating the complete package. Though personally the Civic is too big for me as a daily driver, I do like the car overall, including its looks, space and refinement.

I have driven it once for a short while, and I did not find the car to be sluggish to the extent that it is portrayed in the media. If the Civic works for you and your requirements, I say enjoy its attributes and clock lots of miles on it. It is a good product overall

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 6th June 2020 at 12:21.
arindambasu13 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 13:12   #179
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: HR 51/HR 29
Posts: 1,079
Thanked: 4,772 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssenhyd View Post
I find the amount of bad press the new 2019 Honda Civic gets on this site somewhat unfortunate and does not match with the value and sheer engineering refinement, build quality and long term reliability of this car at this price point.

I would love to hear others view point and perspective
I agree with your premise. In isolation, the Civic doesn’t deserve the brickbats it gets here. But when the price is also taken into account, it doesn’t seem that attractive.

Point is, the Civic is simply overpriced for what it offers. For 25L, the Octavia suddenly becomes a much more attractive proposition. At the lower end, Creta and Seltos have all bases covered. So if a person buys a Civic, he must really want a Civic. Also, Honda service standards have gone to the dogs. As most ASCs are in loss, all bills tends to be massively inflated. Parts and services both are very expensive. (I own Jazz and City)

Back in Jan and Feb 2020, dealers were offering discounts of up to 6L to clear BS4 stock. Those cars were sold in no time at all. I almost bought one myself. Therein lies the crux. For the product on offer, buyers find value at approx 20L, not 25L. Either the price has to fixed or the product has to be improved.

Last edited by SDP : 6th June 2020 at 15:29. Reason: Typo
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 13:26   #180
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 75
Thanked: 97 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
I agree with your premise. In isolation, the Civic doesnít deserve the brickbats it gets here. But when the price is also taken into account, it doesnít seem that attractive.

Point is, the Civic is simply overpriced for what it offers. For 25L, the Octavia suddenly becomess a much more attractive proposition. At the lower end, Creta and Seltos have all bases covered. So if a person buys a Civic, he must really want a Civic. Also, Honda service standards have gone to the dogs. As most ASCs are in loss, all bills tends to be massively inflated. Parts and services both are very expensive. (I own Jazz and City)

Back in Jan and Feb 2020, dealers were offering discounts of up to 6L to clear BS4 stock. Those cars were sold in no time at all. I almost bought one myself. Therein lies the crux. For the product on offer, buyers find value at approx 20L, not 25L. Either the price has to fixed or the product has to be improved.
I too bought it last October the ZX trim for a Rs 1.5 L cash discount, and for that discount level, IMO, it was great value.. but may not be for 25 L, so I do feel you have a point there..

But a Skoda Octavia, if you plan on a 10+ year total cost of ownership, does not match up with Honda, despite the off late lower quality ASC at Honda dealers, it still is better than Skoda's
ssenhyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks